PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Steampunk Resources

Shinken
2014-08-24, 11:49 PM
So I've bought the Technology Guide and it doesn't have what I wanted it to have - more steampunk stuff.
There is already plenty of steampunk elements in basic Pathfinder (Alchemists, clockwork, zeppelins...), but I was looking for more. There are some 3rd party books about this, but I wanted to know if any of you guys have tried them and if they are any good. I don't want to buy the wrong book by mistake (again).
Thanks in advance. :smallsmile:

atemu1234
2014-08-25, 10:42 AM
For some interesting stuff, if you're willing to dip into Ravenloft, go with Legacy of Blood.

Fax Celestis
2014-08-25, 10:53 AM
It's d20 system, not Pathfinder, but I am a huge huge huge huge huge fan of Etherscope (http://www.amazon.com/Etherscope-Etherspace-Adventures-Imperialism-Role-Playing/dp/0977073866). It has rules for cybernaughtic enhancements and other magitech. One of my favorite third-party books ever.

Come to think of it, my top three third party books are all made by Goodman Games: Book of Templates, Etherscope, and Complete Guide to Fey; that last one has like the holy grail of homebrewing in it: there is a system that allows you to create fey creatures on the fly that accurately recreates all of the fey creatures in the MM.

Ssalarn
2014-08-25, 11:14 AM
So, specifically for Pathfinder they have Pure Steam, and The World of Terah as true steampunk settings.

Terah has some decent material but apparently there was some scandal with a Kickstarter and it's dead in the water. You can still get the .pdfs though, and the classes alone are worth it, with a well-executed gadget-making class and a nifty snake-oil salesman illusionist, amongst other materials. The fluff is great, though a few of the mechanics are a bit wonky.

Mechanically, Pure Steam is pure gold. They've got just about all the classes and tropes you could ask for, all of which are well written, balanced, and executed. Pure Steam suffers the opposite problem from Terah; while the mechanics are really well done, the fluff is incredibly generic and boring. On the upside, if you've already got your own steampunk homebrew world, this generic level to the fluff is actually a good thing.

There's a couple settings and materials that aren't really steampunk but have some very steampunk elements or mechanics that are easily refluffed that way.

Thunderscape: The World of Aden is awesome. Just amazing. It includes some really fun classes like the Golemoid, which replaces parts of its body with mechanical implants, and the Thunder Scout, which is basically a Mad Max style Ranger who gets a customizable vehicle in place of an animal companion. There's a lot of rich material here that can be harvested for a steampunk setting, and the campaign setting and other materials are well worth having.

There's a couple others out there, but they tend to be a little harder to mine for the real gold.

Shinken
2014-08-25, 05:23 PM
It's d20 system, not Pathfinder, but I am a huge huge huge huge huge fan of Etherscope (http://www.amazon.com/Etherscope-Etherspace-Adventures-Imperialism-Role-Playing/dp/0977073866). It has rules for cybernaughtic enhancements and other magitech. One of my favorite third-party books ever.
Between this and the review on Amazon, I'm really interested in this. Looks very cool, even if I don't use the stuff in it. Weirdly enough, the pdf on DriveThruRPG is more expensive than the book on Amazon, so I think I'll get the actual dead tree version.

So, specifically for Pathfinder they have Pure Steam, and The World of Terah as true steampunk settings.

Terah has some decent material but apparently there was some scandal with a Kickstarter and it's dead in the water. You can still get the .pdfs though, and the classes alone are worth it, with a well-executed gadget-making class and a nifty snake-oil salesman illusionist, amongst other materials. The fluff is great, though a few of the mechanics are a bit wonky.

Mechanically, Pure Steam is pure gold. They've got just about all the classes and tropes you could ask for, all of which are well written, balanced, and executed. Pure Steam suffers the opposite problem from Terah; while the mechanics are really well done, the fluff is incredibly generic and boring. On the upside, if you've already got your own steampunk homebrew world, this generic level to the fluff is actually a good thing.

There's a couple settings and materials that aren't really steampunk but have some very steampunk elements or mechanics that are easily refluffed that way.

Thunderscape: The World of Aden is awesome. Just amazing. It includes some really fun classes like the Golemoid, which replaces parts of its body with mechanical implants, and the Thunder Scout, which is basically a Mad Max style Ranger who gets a customizable vehicle in place of an animal companion. There's a lot of rich material here that can be harvested for a steampunk setting, and the campaign setting and other materials are well worth having.

There's a couple others out there, but they tend to be a little harder to mine for the real gold.

Thunderscape sounds really interesting. Amazon led me to believe it's based on an old videogame (http://www.amazon.com/SSI-Thunderscape-World-of-Aden/dp/B00094H60E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409005792&sr=8-1&keywords=thunderscape). I think I'm gonna have to play that.

Starbuck_II
2014-08-25, 07:16 PM
Dragonmech also works as the Power Armor, Mechs, and other things are steam powered.

They have their own chainsaw sword: Chatter-sword, Buzzaxe (buzzsaw axe), etc. Steam powered guns (slows reload [most are oither rd] but shoots sling ammo for more damage, can even shoot pebbles for reduced dam if want).

Shinken
2014-09-11, 11:56 PM
Bought the pdf for Thunderscape, let's see! :smallcool: