PDA

View Full Version : Spellcasting and opportunity attacks

linklele
2014-08-25, 03:56 AM
Pheraps i failed my spot check on the 5e PH, but i can't see any sign of spellcasting triggering attacks of opportunity. Is that true? No more defensive casting?

Falka
2014-08-25, 04:10 AM
Nope, there isn't! Actually I think that was a very frustrating mechanic that was just there to justify an otherwise pointless skill (Concentration). In both ends - you either didn't have enough of it, so you would never pass the DC, or you'd have too much and the check would become trivial.

Eslin
2014-08-25, 04:24 AM
In exchange, getting interrupted on concentration spells became really easy.

linklele
2014-08-25, 04:28 AM
In exchange, getting interrupted on concentration spells became really easy.
Yeah, but at least using touch attacks is no more a mission impossible.
Although the concentration mechanic nerfed all spellcaster by quite a bit i think it is for the best, I actually like it. It makes your casting decision more meaningful and flavorful.

Also I bet in some future splatbook there will be lots of feats on concentration, like you can concentrate on 2 spells at time or splells of x school dont count againist your concentration.

1of3
2014-08-25, 06:50 AM
There is already. Enchanter Wizards and Sorcerers can target two targets with a single spell.

linklele
2014-08-25, 08:33 AM
There is already. Enchanter Wizards and Sorcerers can target two targets with a single spell.

Mmm yeah but it is still the same spel twinned. I mean something like summoning an elemental AND casting Fear at the same time. Or Cloudkill and wall of ice to imprison your foe in a choking death. (all things you could do before but now can't.

obryn
2014-08-25, 09:00 AM
Pheraps i failed my spot check on the 5e PH, but i can't see any sign of spellcasting triggering attacks of opportunity. Is that true? No more defensive casting?
As others have mentioned, not by default. However, remember...

(1) Ranged attacks still suffer disadvantage if someone's up in your face
(2) The Mage-Slayer or whatever it's called feat gives OA's for spellcasting in melee.

Demonic Spoon
2014-08-25, 09:19 AM
Addendum to obryn's point 2: there are no more 5 foot steps, so taking the Mage Slayer feat and sitting next to a mage is going to be pretty painful for him.

Soras Teva Gee
2014-08-25, 10:44 AM
Mmm yeah but it is still the same spel twinned. I mean something like summoning an elemental AND casting Fear at the same time. Or Cloudkill and wall of ice to imprison your foe in a choking death. (all things you could do before but now can't.

I don't think the implications of that have quite percolated through people yet. Magic has always been powerful and remains powerful... but having essentially only 1 spell at a time going seals off entire avenues of approach that have always been where a lot of that power comes from.

linklele
2014-08-25, 11:16 AM
I don't think the implications of that have quite percolated through people yet. Magic has always been powerful and remains powerful... but having essentially only 1 spell at a time going seals off entire avenues of approach that have always been where a lot of that power comes from.

I approve. Before, spellcasters were going to do combo with themselves all the time. Now they have to combo with their teammates. And that's good.

(1) Ranged attacks still suffer disadvantage if someone's up in your face
(2) The Mage-Slayer or whatever it's called feat gives OA's for spellcasting in melee.
(1) Well no one forces you to use ranged attack (although this restrict your choices of course),
you can always use touch spell, wich usually are even more powerful than ranged ones.
(2)Yeah, but at least you spent a feat on it, so that's fair. Not every monster is gonig to have that, right? RIGHT?:smalleek:

An example just come to my mind: A spellcaster uses conjure volley/conjure barrage againist an enemy and near him there is the party monk, so the missles will hit him too. But with the monk ability deflect missles can let him catch an arrow and make an extra attack this way. Of course this is not foolproof as it is not sure the monk will be able to prevent all damage. But it is a cool way to do teamwork.:smallredface:

pwykersotz
2014-08-25, 01:28 PM
Yeah, but at least using touch attacks is no more a mission impossible.
Although the concentration mechanic nerfed all spellcaster by quite a bit i think it is for the best, I actually like it. It makes your casting decision more meaningful and flavorful.

Also I bet in some future splatbook there will be lots of feats on concentration, like you can concentrate on 2 spells at time or splells of x school dont count againist your concentration.

If they do this, it will flat out break their stated design goals. I wouldn't bank on it happening anytime soon.

But yes, defensive casting can get kicked out in the cold and I'll be happy. In my 3.5 games I just assumed all casters automatically cast defensively and took their passive concentration, only having them roll if that wasn't enough (since it was a static DC to do). It was basically that much more work for me to do because it slowed game vastly to have the players do it.

Soras Teva Gee
2014-08-25, 01:36 PM
If they do this, it will flat out break their stated design goals. I wouldn't bank on it happening anytime soon.

But yes, defensive casting can get kicked out in the cold and I'll be happy. In my 3.5 games I just assumed all casters automatically cast defensively and took their passive concentration, only having them roll if that wasn't enough (since it was a static DC to do). It was basically that much more work for me to do because it slowed game vastly to have the players do it.

Well it is WotC here and not the MtG side... you could well see it pop up in some tertiary setting book like "The Serpent Kingdoms of Faerun" or whatever in an obscure option intended for NPCs but then everybody and their familiar will be trying to get DMs to allow it.

TheOOB
2014-08-25, 09:53 PM
Addendum to obryn's point 2: there are no more 5 foot steps, so taking the Mage Slayer feat and sitting next to a mage is going to be pretty painful for him.

Considering how valuable feats are, I think that's how it should be.