PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a spell that will remove metal from an object

Stuvius
2014-08-25, 06:26 AM
Hi Everyoone,

The title pretty much sums it up. Is there a spell that would remove metal, allowing the caster to retrive something encased witin? I am DMing a campaign in which the PCs encounter some items in such a state and I need to offer them a method for removing the metal. As always, thanks for the help.

With a box
2014-08-25, 06:39 AM
Transmute metal to wood and burn the wood
But it's druid only spell...

Harlot
2014-08-25, 07:04 AM
Someone else asked that quite recently. The thread is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?272680-Warp-Metal)
Rusting Gasp seems spot on. However, thats a druid spell too ...

Phelix-Mu
2014-08-25, 08:12 AM
Hi Everyoone,

The title pretty much sums it up. Is there a spell that would remove metal, allowing the caster to retrive something encased witin? I am DMing a campaign in which the PCs encounter some items in such a state and I need to offer them a method for removing the metal. As always, thanks for the help.

I believe there is an FR spell (possibly 3.0, but still valid even if) that turns a metal into a liquid/fluid form that can be more easily shaped. Name escaping me at the moment, but I am pretty sure this exists.

Karnith or someone will be along presently with a more helpful response, lol.

NOTE: Pretty sure this is one of the ones that starts with the name of its creator (which I also can't remember), so it might be on the list of spells in the front of SpC that had the names removed.

Spindrift
2014-08-25, 09:10 AM
Charm monster used on a rust monster?

Fax Celestis
2014-08-25, 09:27 AM
Are you interested in homebrew solutions?

Stuvius
2014-08-25, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I would be open to homebrew ideas as well. I neglected to mention in the original post that the items are covered in gold. This particular adventure is built off an existing module and the players have been advised that taking any of the gold would result in very bad things happening. I wanted them to have a shot at the loot as the encounters will be challenging and I needed a means by which they could obtain the treasure and avoid the cursed gold. Thanks again.

Spindrift
2014-08-25, 09:41 AM
Could they use fabricate to turn the gold into something without touching the rest of the item?

Dorian Gray
2014-08-25, 09:43 AM
Repel metal could work, but from your description I doubt it. Polymorph Any Object absolutely works, but is also overkill. Corrosive Grasp does it, but risks damaging whatever's inside, and the same goes for many other spells such as Babuu Slime or Body of the Sun. Rust Ray is a 3rd level wizard spell that fits the bill perfectly (2d6+1/2 level damage to metal). Metal Melt is one level higher, but instantly melts the metal and carries the added benefit that the metal doesn't actually heat up, so the encased object isn't damaged. Beyond those, there is probably at least one spell which uses a metal ball/cube/etc as a material component, so a spellcaster could cast that spell, causing the metal to vanish from around whatever he needs to get at.

Fax Celestis
2014-08-25, 09:45 AM
Fireball explicitly melts gold.

Malleate [Metal]
Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 4
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Metal or metal object touched, up to 10 cubic ft, +1 cubic ft/level
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No
You can form an existing piece of metal into any shape that suits your purpose. While it's possible to make crude coffers, doors, and so forth with malleate, fine detail isn’t possible. There is a 30% chance (-1% per caster level) that any shape including moving parts simply doesn't work.

(basically stone shape for metal)

Dorian Gray
2014-08-25, 09:50 AM
I started my post before your second one, unfortunately. That means that I missed that the metal is gold, which removes any possibility of a rust spell destroying it, because gold does not rust. Melt Metal still is good, but Rusting Grasp is gone now.

Shining Wrath
2014-08-25, 09:55 AM
There's a 3.0 spell Shape Metal which might allow your players to move the metal around allowing them to get whatever it is they are getting. Cleric 4, SW 5.

Also 3.0, [name] Metal Melt metal flows like a liquid for 1 round, SW Spellthief 4.

Hecuba
2014-08-25, 10:12 AM
Also 3.0, [name] Metal Melt metal flows like a liquid for 1 round, SW Spellthief 4.

This. It's from Magic of Faerun. It's also Wiz/Sorc 4, in addition to Spellthief.

As previously mentioned, fireball may be easier.

Shining Wrath
2014-08-25, 11:18 AM
This. It's from Magic of Faerun. It's also Wiz/Sorc 4, in addition to Spellthief.

As previously mentioned, fireball may be easier.

Sorry I was abbreviating Sorcerer Wizard as SW and evidently that was too cryptic. Brevity may be the soul of wit but it's also first cousin to confusion.

Phelix-Mu
2014-08-25, 12:10 PM
(basically stone shape for metal)

Fax, where is that malleate [metal] spell from?

Fax Celestis
2014-08-25, 12:18 PM
Fax, where is that malleate [metal] spell from?

I made it.

Phelix-Mu
2014-08-25, 12:24 PM
I made it.

Since I like using creator names in spells, do you mind if I dub it Fax's malleate metal?:smallwink:

Telonius
2014-08-25, 12:34 PM
Use the standard Adventurers' Solution:

Apply fire.

The melting point (http://www.onlinemetals.com/meltpt.cfm) of gold is 1063 C. The melting point of iron is 1482 C. Heat it up to around 1100, wait for the gold to drain off.

Fax Celestis
2014-08-25, 12:36 PM
Since I like using creator names in spells, do you mind if I dub it Fax's malleate metal?:smallwink:

Sure.

There's a bunch of other spells in my sig: they're mixed in with core rewrites, but you should be able to pick out the new spells.

Actually, just go to the wizard link in my sig and scroll down to like the fourth post.

captain fubar
2014-08-26, 03:20 AM
the spell compendium has metal melt.

Hecuba
2014-08-26, 07:14 AM
Sorry I was abbreviating Sorcerer Wizard as SW and evidently that was too cryptic. Brevity may be the soul of wit but it's also first cousin to confusion.

It wasn't the abbreviation: I entirely missed that it was there. I was kind a space cadet yesterday.

the spell compendium has metal melt.
Seems to be a reprint of the one already mentioned, stripped of the setting name.