PDA

View Full Version : Casting in combat without Eschew Materials

Barstro
2014-08-25, 07:22 AM
(This is based on my understand of Pathfinder, but I think these rules all stem from 3.5 anyway.)

It crossed my mind last night that, without Eschew Materials, a caster needs to actually use (if not keep track of) material components when casting spells.

Not an earth shattering revelation, but HOW does one get the materials in the first place? Handy Haversack's ability to allow the user to retrieve any specific item from a haversack as a move action is supposed to be a great benefit. If that's the case, then it must take AT LEAST a move action for a caster to pull out the correct components. Looking at it as just "retrieving a stored item", it is still a move action, but one that cannot be a "free" move action like drawing a weapon while moving.

If the above is correct and there is not another rule I missed; Casters CANNOT move and cast spells with material components in the same round because they have no way to get the necessary components.

Never mind. I found in "Combat" that it's a free action. I was looking under the "Magic" section of the SRD before posting.

Psyren
2014-08-25, 09:27 AM
You found the answer, but I'll add that if you're in a grapple you need the component to already be in hand.