PDA

View Full Version : Class-Race Combos feedback requested please

madwolf10
2014-08-25, 07:55 AM
Listed 4 ideas/concepts below. Requesting feedback from those who enjoy providing such, who love the game and helping others do the same, who are bored and have nothing better to do lol :smallbiggrin:
Optimization and/or Roleplaying Flavor, either or (though I do tend to go around 70% flavor, 30% optimizing... and I know tend to balance ability scores, so if the race does not give bonuses to a class's primary abilities, I put highest scores in primaries and use the race bonuses to buff the less important abils so as to maybe avoid negatives)
Add creative backstory idea if you want... :smallsmile:

I've played since 1st edition, 30+ years, so yes, I know whatever normal cliched whacky odd unique character I want to play does all come down to simply MY preference. :smallwink:
Just asking for feedback out of curiousity, to bide the time while waiting for my fellow players to buy/learn/catch up, or maybe someone will see something really cool that I missed.
Thank you in advance for any and all aid or ideas anyone offers.

HalfOrc Barbarian

HalfOrc Paladin

Tiefling Paladin

Hill Dwarf Bard ("skald")

Yorrin
2014-08-25, 08:05 AM
HalfOrc Barbarian
Pretty standard fare here. Good from an optimization standpoint and fairly iconic from a roleplay standpoint.

HalfOrc Paladin
Another good combo. The stats line you up well, and there's several interesting story hooks you could throw in here. Are you a force of vengeance against those that slighted you as a child or a noble soul who seeks to make others reconsider their prejudice against your people? This is probably my favorite of the four you've got here.

Tiefling Paladin
A very caster-focused racial choice as far as stats go. It could work, but you'd want an exceptional roll in Str or Dex as well as a decent Con. Roleplaying-wise it's similar to above, really. Anti-hero paladin.

Hill Dwarf Bard ("skald")
This one has the least synergy on stats by a long shot. Sure, you'll be the toughest bard around, but your casting is going to be pathetic. I can see some sort of warchanter type thing going for a backstory, so you've got that going for you.

EvilAnagram
2014-08-25, 09:26 AM
Tiefling Paladin

I had one in 4e. He was always feeling a bit awkward, since we were constantly dealing with Ashmodai cultists. Of course, that fire resistance was quite handy, and charisma was used for basically all his attacks, so it was a bit easier to build.

Really, if you have one good roll (16+) and a couple decent ones (12-14), then this will be a perfectly good option. Your charisma will be great, so your casting will be great. Stick your highest roll in strength, and make sure your constitution isn't terrible, and you'll be great! It's great for both serious characters who are torn up about their backgrounds and less serious characters who are a bit self-conscious about the whole "fiendish heritage" thing.

HugeC
2014-08-25, 09:27 AM
Re: Hill dwarf bard, with point buy I'd go with Str 10, Dex 15, Con 15, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 15 (2 + 9 + 5 + 2 + 0 + 9 = 27). Then for feats, +1 Dex/Cha, Resilient (Wis), Resilient (Con), +2 Cha, +2 Cha.

Ooh, are you allowed to take Resilient twice? Maybe not, so you'd have to do something else there. Anyway, the point is that even though you start off with a Charisma that's a tad lower, you can still max it.

madwolf10
2014-08-25, 11:58 AM
Thanks Yorrin, EvilAnagram and HugeC!
Really love hearing others' takes on my concepts.