PDA

View Full Version : Wondrous Items w/ Multiple Enchants & Caster Level Question

Kevingway
2014-08-25, 08:25 AM
Two things are bothering me, and I can't seem to find clear wording to resolve them:

1.) Can an item have multiple enchants? Let's use a Ring of Diamond Mind of Insightful Strike of Telekinesis as an example (yes, it's not a wondrous item, I know).

2.) Can the base caster level on a predetermined item be raised? A Ring of Telekinesis has a CL of 9, but can a version exist with a CL of 20? Is it only determined by the level of the caster voluntarily lowering his CL to match the spell's level?

Dalebert
2014-08-25, 09:23 AM
I'm pretty sure that's a "yes" to both. You can add additional effects to the same item. Each effect after the highest cost one is at 1.5 times the cost. In 3.5 (but maybe not PF), I believe they even suggest making an exception for effects that are specifically stat boosts or bonuses that are tied to a specific slot. For instance, since INT is tied to a head item, you should be able to add one more effect such as Hat of Disguise without the extra cost multiplier. Another example would be a Cloak of Resistance. You should be able to add one more effect to one of those without the cost increase.

You can make higher CL versions of items. There are formulas for calculating the cost (which is higher, of course).

Psyren
2014-08-25, 10:22 AM
Yes to both, but both require DM approval (The latter less so than the former.)

Urpriest
2014-08-25, 10:24 AM
Two things are bothering me, and I can't seem to find clear wording to resolve them:

1.) Can an item have multiple enchants? Let's use a Ring of Diamond Mind of Insightful Strike of Telekinesis as an example (yes, it's not a wondrous item, I know).

2.) Can the base caster level on a predetermined item be raised? A Ring of Telekinesis has a CL of 9, but can a version exist with a CL of 20? Is it only determined by the level of the caster voluntarily lowering his CL to match the spell's level?

Both of those would be custom items, so they would only exist if the DM has previously decided to homebrew them up because they filled some in-setting role. There are guidelines for how to do both.

Note that there are also "items with multiple enchants" that don't require homebrew, as described in the Magic Item Compendium. The one you described wouldn't be covered by those rules, though.