PDA

View Full Version : Derivation of the term blackguard.

Duke Malagigi
2007-03-07, 06:37 PM
The term "blackguard" is an archaic word for villain or scoundrel, which is why WoTC used that name for the corrupt paladin prestige class. It is by naming a general villainous prestige class hence the sneak attack progression. Also blackguard is pronounce with a silent "k" sound.

Ashes
2007-03-07, 06:48 PM
What? need more characters.

Matthew
2007-03-07, 06:59 PM
Um, did somebody ask a question and delete their post?

Duke Malagigi
2007-03-07, 07:04 PM
blackguard (blag'ard) noun, originally applied to the lowest menials about a court, who took charge of the pots, kettles, &c.: a low scoundrel,-adj. low: scurrilous

silentknight
2007-03-07, 07:07 PM
Although this little bit of info seems to "come out of left field," I find it quite interesting.

Vaynor
2007-03-07, 07:17 PM
Umm, yah. What?

Like, where in the nine hells did that come from?

Hehe, I just realized how punny that was.

Duke Malagigi
2007-03-07, 07:37 PM
Although this little bit of info seems to "come out of left field," I find it quite interesting.

Good. I like explaining what words mean. It makes me feel like I'm doing a great service showcasing the intricacies of the English language. As for other languages, please don't ask me, I just don't know. Now if you want to explain other languages to me that's fine. Oh, and I also like giving information that comes a little bit out of left field.

silentknight
2007-03-07, 07:43 PM
Oh, and I also like giving information that comes a little bit out of left field.

And, apparently, you like to confuse and confound people. Hee-hee.

doliemaster
2007-03-08, 11:11 PM
This is off topic does anyone thing that they should have made blackguard a class or paladin a prestiege?

TheOOB
2007-03-08, 11:26 PM
I think the paladin class should be made prestige. The class is far too specilized and has too strong a code of conduct for a base class. Base classes are supposed to be about ability and leave the flavor and RP to the player, prestige classes are where you are suposed to get that kind of flavor.

BCOVertigo
2007-03-09, 03:29 AM
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=blackguard

Main Entry: black·guard
Pronunciation: 'bla-g&rd, -"gärd; 'blak-"gärd
Function: noun
1 obsolete : the kitchen servants of a household
2 a : a rude or unscrupulous person b : a person who uses foul or abusive language
- black·guard·ism /-g&r-"di-z&m, -"gär-/ noun
- black·guard·ly /-g&rd-lE, -"gärd-/ adjective or adverb
This one indicates both pronunciations are correct. Not to say I'm coherent enough right now to argue that point but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

Also The 300 was awesome, go see it. Now I'm tired and off to bed.:smallsigh:

silentknight
2007-03-09, 02:04 PM
Grr. I am most wroth at you for seeing 300 already. I have to wait until after work. Grr. Double-grr.

EvilElitest
2007-03-10, 12:16 AM
I think the paladin class should be made prestige. The class is far too specilized and has too strong a code of conduct for a base class. Base classes are supposed to be about ability and leave the flavor and RP to the player, prestige classes are where you are suposed to get that kind of flavor.

The point of the paladin is that they are "Special".
from,
EE

Nahal
2007-03-10, 12:36 AM
Meh. English strikes me as a needlessly complicated language, and I'm a native speaker with a decent vocabulary.