PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] Protecting Against Godzilla's Radiation Emanation

Rubik
2014-08-25, 10:14 AM
I was watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMOl-amah8w

And I noticed it mentioned Godzilla's ambient release of radioactivity and how it infects everything within hundreds of feet with lethal radiation.

Is there a spell or other effect that could blunt his radioactive emanation? Cast it on or around him to protect his surroundings from his very presence?

Radiation is a pain to deal with, after all, so better to prevent than to deal with it after, yes? The tactic could be useful for other creatures with harmful always-on emanations, as well.

atemu1234
2014-08-25, 10:28 AM
I don't know about a spell, but I once had a player who made himself a led suit of armor with no holes in it, just magically able to bend at the joints and also wore a ring of something or other that let him not need food, air or water.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-08-25, 10:38 AM
D&D doesn't have any built-in radiation effects, so it doesn't have any built-in defenses against it. If radiation were a thing in D&D, then there would be either specific spells or modes of existing spells that could protect a character from it. The various Resist Energy, Protection from Energy, Mass Resist Energy, and Energy Immunity spells would be sufficient, either make a radiation mode of each or make separate spells of comparable level, duration, and intensity for defenses against radiation.

A while back there was a high-level (possibly epic) 3rd party adventure written in which the main opponent was a radioactive dragon, and most of the danger was only due to the lack of radiation mechanics/defenses inherent to the game. Our Hulking Hurler squashed it.

Telonius
2014-08-25, 11:45 AM
Yeah, I think it's going to come down to how you rule radiation damage: if it's its own (new) type, or if it's an existing type. Either way, you'd need the specs for it. Does it bypass immunity? Cause ability damage? Direct HP damage? Is it Force, Fire, Electricity, Acid? Do you get a Fort save against it? Does it cause sickness, and if so, is it magical or non-magical?

Rubik
2014-08-25, 11:46 AM
I imagine it would be an emanation very similar to a nonmagical poison that deals Str and Con damage (Fort half), and similar immunities would apply. Any object or creature (even immune ones) that's exposed for long also starts radiating it for a limited amount of time. It's blocked by a thin sheet of lead (which won't radiate after absorption) or by other materials of varying thicknesses.

Keep in mind that it's not just one person that we're trying to protect, and stuffing Godzilla in a suit of lead armor probably won't last too long, even if it can be accomplished in the first place.

Giddonihah
2014-08-25, 11:49 AM
Truenamers can get protection vs an energy type of their choice. Loose wording on the ability means they can choose Radiation.

Psyren
2014-08-25, 12:33 PM
Regen + immunity to nonlethal of some kind should do it. Since "radiation" is not as far as I can tell on any of the lists of things that overcomes anyone's regen, it will all be converted to nonlethal and then you would be immune.

Rubik
2014-08-25, 12:34 PM
Regen + immunity to nonlethal of some kind should do it. Since "radiation" is not as far as I can tell on any of the lists of things that overcomes anyone's regen, it will all be converted to nonlethal and then you would be immune.I don't think "nonlethal ability damage" is a thing.

Plus, how do you put regeneration on everyone that Godzilla ever comes across?

Psyren
2014-08-25, 12:50 PM
I don't think "nonlethal ability damage" is a thing.

Does it cause ability damage? I was assuming it was HP damage. I really have no idea what effects radiation is supposed to have.

Actually, wouldn't it be a disease or poison?

Plus, how do you put regeneration on everyone that Godzilla ever comes across?

Er... you don't. You put it on whoever is going to kill him. I thought that's what we were assuming.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-08-25, 12:52 PM
Regen + immunity to nonlethal of some kind should do it. Since "radiation" is not as far as I can tell on any of the lists of things that overcomes anyone's regen, it will all be converted to nonlethal and then you would be immune.

That's not how regeneration works. Creatures with regeneration still receive normal hp damage, but they treat the damage they've sustained as though it was nonlethal damage. A sword still deals lethal slashing damage to a creature with regeneration, but that creature gets to act like that hp damage it's sustained was nonlethal for purposes of whether it's disabled/dying and if it can regenerate it. Immunity to nonlethal damage doesn't prevent damage from being dealt to it, and would only serve to make it unable to treat that damage as nonlethal thus causing all damage types to overcome its regeneration. For example, a nonlethal attack normally cannot deliver an injury poison, but a normally lethal attack on a creature with regeneration will still deliver poison even if that creature gets to treat the damage as nonlethal, because it's still dealt to the creature as lethal damage. It's only after damage is dealt to the creature with regeneration that it's treated as nonlethal, it doesn't get to treat lethal attacks as nonlethal, just the damage that was dealt by it.

Rubik
2014-08-25, 01:04 PM
Does it cause ability damage? I was assuming it was HP damage. I really have no idea what effects radiation is supposed to have.

Actually, wouldn't it be a disease or poison?I posted my thoughts on radiation above. See the following:

I imagine it would be an emanation very similar to a nonmagical poison that deals Str and Con damage (Fort half), and similar immunities would apply. Any object or creature (even immune ones) that's exposed for long also starts radiating it for a limited amount of time. It's blocked by a thin sheet of lead (which won't radiate after absorption) or by other materials of varying thicknesses.

Keep in mind that it's not just one person that we're trying to protect, and stuffing Godzilla in a suit of lead armor probably won't last too long, even if it can be accomplished in the first place.

Er... you don't. You put it on whoever is going to kill him. I thought that's what we were assuming.Well, in some incarnations, Godzilla is the protector of Japan, though he doesn't seem to care about collateral damage.

Part of the point is to try to make Godzilla (or another source of radiation) safe for others to be around. You know, aside from all the destroyed buildings, or whatever. Though it's mostly just to find ways of protecting everything from his radiation.

Psyren
2014-08-25, 01:17 PM
If you have access to D&D resources though, I suggest slitting his throat and having a much less destructive Solar take over, using an illusion of Godzilla to maintain the status quo if necessary :smalltongue:

But to stay within the scope of the challenge, an easy answer is Extended Trait Removal to remove the aura, which will work whether it is Su or Ex. Assuming we're going with the "guardian of Japan" version, he is good-aligned and thus can be persuaded to voluntarily fail his save every time. It lasts for hours, possibly over a day, so just renew it continuously until the municipalities in his vicinity are evacuated.