PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Intelligent Items and Mind-Affecting Spells

Allianis
2014-08-25, 12:35 PM
I'm about to set my currently 4th level adventurers on a new module featuring a vampire being controlled by an intelligent item. However, I'm concerned about what will happen when my annoyingly clever wizard decides to use his Command Undead spell on the vampire.

As a vampire, he would be entitled to a Will Save. However, this vampire is already under the control of the item. Does that make him immune? Does that mean the item gets the save? Do they both save? The rules on intelligent items found in SRD were seriously unhelpful.

bjoern
2014-08-25, 12:38 PM
I'm about to set my currently 4th level adventurers on a new module featuring a vampire being controlled by an intelligent item. However, I'm concerned about what will happen when my annoyingly clever wizard decides to use his Command Undead spell on the vampire.

As a vampire, he would be entitled to a Will Save. However, this vampire is already under the control of the item. Does that make him immune? Does that mean the item gets the save? Do they both save? The rules on intelligent items found in SRD were seriously unhelpful.

I'd say that you would have to have the wizard make an opposed caster level check against the item to replace its control with his. It would probably be appropriate to give the item a bonus since it is already "dug in" and in a defensible position so to speak.

Psyren
2014-08-25, 12:57 PM
How is the item controlling the vampire? Is the vampire being Controlled (dominated) or Commanded (charmed)?

If they both use Command, the Vampire would simply see them both as friends. It's possible to have more than one friend.

If the item is "dominating" while the wizard is "charming," the item can override him. Whether the vampire can be made to attack his "friend" will probably depend on his nature. (i.e.: does he normally attack his friends? Is it something he's capable of doing?)

Regardless, the wizard's allies may be in danger even if he is not.

Allianis
2014-08-25, 01:03 PM
How is the item controlling the vampire? Is the vampire being Controlled (dominated) or Commanded (charmed)?

If they both use Command, the Vampire would simply see them both as friends. It's possible to have more than one friend.

If the item is "dominating" while the wizard is "charming," the item can override him. Whether the vampire can be made to attack his "friend" will probably depend on his nature. (i.e.: does he normally attack his friends? Is it something he's capable of doing?)

Regardless, the wizard's allies may be in danger even if he is not.

The vampire came into conflict with the ego of the intelligent magical item, which became the "dominant" personality. In the DMG, this allows the item to force "concessions" from the character. In the module, this grants the item enough control to break free from its vampire master and embark on a long and complicated quest. However, it never expressly states the rules of an intelligent magical item becoming "dominant."

I get the distinct impression that I'm supposed to wing it as the DM, but I've got a group full of rules lawyers and was hoping to get a concession which I can point to later when everyone starts the inevitable argument.

Monarch Dodora
2014-08-25, 01:12 PM
I'm positive that when two people try to control the same person with Dominates etc. that it's an opposed Charisma check between the two would-be controllers... but I can't find the rule that says so. Sigh.