PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in Jail

ohil
2014-08-25, 01:39 PM
So my bard is Stuck in a jail with a permanent anti magic field around it. It is at the bottom of a temple of a LG god and she was arrested for being a half drow. I have been in jail for an hour of 1 game then then the whole next game. I have no equipment and no real way to escape. If the party solves a town wide murder thing against a bunch of ghouls I will be released and kicked out of the city. I'm just stuck on what to do. It seems like I'll be locked up for two or more three sessions assuming they don't get tpk which almost happened. I was playing a character that was helping them so I have something to do but it's not my bard. What should I do? Any idea on how my pathfinder level 6 bard can get out or what I can do or should I just sit out the new few games until my person is free.

I was caught because of a low disguise check as I was trying to leave the city. My Dm claims if I hadn't talked back then I may of been let go. But I just didn't see it as realistic. I was attacked from out of know where by the guards.

dascarletm
2014-08-25, 01:43 PM
Demand that you get your due process and be tried in the way the church deals with these things.

If they are good, and you truly didn't do the crime you should be able to talk your way out of this. Since they are also lawful they should give you some sort of trial.

Being a bard you should have the skills to handle talking your way out of this. In fact it couldn't of have happened to a better character. Diplomacy, bluff, knowledge (Local) (I think local is laws), will be your friends.

Also use your bardic knowledge to (or whatever pathfinder calls that) to find out what sort of rules they use to judge suspected criminals.

atemu1234
2014-08-25, 01:46 PM
You're a bard. You're supposed to talk back. It's in the bard charter or something.:elan:

At any rate, you try diplomancing a guard yet? Or bluffing? It'd be an easy way to get out.

ohil
2014-08-25, 01:47 PM
I wish my race precludes me from due process the god is abadar. God of city's and business.

Me being half drow was the only thing thing that kept me from being killed out right. They are all hated enimies basically and get a +20 against me.

The only person I can talk to is the guard who arrested me who just throws my food on the ground and ignore me. I need some ideas beyond the normal.

Zaq
2014-08-25, 01:50 PM
Tell the GM that it's not fun for you to be rotting in jail while the rest of the party is having an adventure. See if you can work out some kind of parole or something, maybe with Mark of Justice involved to prevent you from doing whatever the hell the city doesn't want you doing while you're on your adventure.

ohil
2014-08-25, 01:54 PM
Tell the GM that it's not fun for you to be rotting in jail while the rest of the party is having an adventure. See if you can work out some kind of parole or something, maybe with Mark of Justice involved to prevent you from doing whatever the hell the city doesn't want you doing while you're on your adventure.

It's a good idea but the city has people dispersing and people being murdered in the streets. I'm in jail for being alive, so unless I stop being a half drow then I'm out of luck there. I told my party I wanted to get out of the city but on the way out I was caught because I rolled a 4 on my disguise self check giving me only a 24 to my disguise thus a guard saw it.

As for telling the dm. I'm trying to think of a character way of getting out. He let me play another character but in truth if I can't I"ll probably just hang back till my person is free.

Shoat
2014-08-25, 01:55 PM
It is at the bottom of a temple of a LG god and she was arrested for being a half drow.

Is your character actually evil? (noticeable evil aura, obvious evil behaviour)
If not, then arresting that character is definitely NOT an action that conforms to ANY Lawful Good entity (it's essentially a racist hate crime or a kidnapping with "solve our city's problems" as a ransom, both are distinctively evil acts) and you should remind your DM that he has to either rebrand the priests from that temple as official BBEG's (and have their LG god abandon them IMMEDIATELY) or have them actually act like good people (recognize your arrest was bull**** and you didn't do anything wrong and just let you go).

The Out-of-Game matter:
Having someone sit out for an entire hour is already bull****, let alone for an hour plus a full session (or even multiple sessions). Even without considering the fact that you didn't do anything wrong.

Not getting to play is the worst thing that can happen to a player.
And this fate is worse than character death (similar to being turned into a vamp spawn, for example) yet he didn't even let you create a new character.

ohil
2014-08-25, 01:59 PM
No he did let me create a new character and I can play it until my bard is free.

The city hates drow and since the city is under an anti-magic field they can't do detect good or evil on me.

I am Neutral Good. I can argue with my dm and he will probably give in but I want to see if I can do this in game.

P.s. That's what my bard said along with no she would not sleep with the gaurd and that's why he was attacking her

Zaq
2014-08-25, 02:03 PM
If the city hates drow, why do they want to KEEP you, rather than getting rid of you? How do they benefit from tying up a jail cell and paying to keep you fed, rather than just booting you out of town? Hell, that could be the condition on your Mark of Justice: "Do not step foot back inside the city." Done! Then you can go on your adventure with your partymates, leave the city the hell alone, and be done!

Inevitability
2014-08-25, 02:04 PM
Me being half drow was the only thing thing that kept me from being killed out right. They are all hated enimies basically and get a +20 against me.

+20 on what? Attack rolls? Saving throw DC's? Skill checks?

But from what I see, the DM's screwing you over. Even if there's an AMF covering the city (and if it is, why build a temple there?) you can ask to be brought to someplace outside the city to have Detect Evil cast upon you, and swear not to attempt to escape. If there are 20 priests standing around your cell, all of them getting high Sense Motive results and none detecting a lie, leaving you inside your cell would probably be close to Evil.

Sith_Happens
2014-08-25, 02:05 PM
unless I stop being a half drow

Is that all? Because not being a Half-Drow anymore is called "a Disguise check and a good story" ("I was cursed" is always a good one).:smallwink:

torrasque666
2014-08-25, 02:09 PM
A disguise check which he already failed. Its gonna be hard to convince a bunch of paladins that this guy who looked like a half drow, but suddenly doesn't, was cursed. They're just going to assume that its the same half drow attempting to disguise himself.

Segev
2014-08-25, 02:10 PM
By the rules for diplomacy (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/diplomacy) in Pathfinder, it only takes a DC 25+(target's cha mod) to get them from Hostile to Unfriendly. That's not easy, but as a bard with a racial cha bonus, you should be able to come reasonably close. And guards aren't known for high Cha; if all your guards have Cha mods of even so much as +2, the DM's being a jerk. While they're Hostile, you literally cannot worsen things by trying over and over again.

Once you have at least one Unfriendly, you want to be a little more careful. Use Gather Information and Sense Motive to provoke responses from the guards. Talk about your life with the intent of getting them to reveal things about themselves and their personal reasons for hating you. Spin those into circumstance bonuses. Your DC is now only 20 plus their cha mod. You need to make sure you don't fail by 5 or more, so get those bonuses as high as you can and see if you can't take 10.

"Unfriendly" will honestly be the most difficult to breach. Once you get them to "Indifferent," your bard should be able to ratchet them up to Friendly or even Helpful.

Make sure you don't ask them to do you any illegal favors. Ask them, instead, to stand up for what's right. Remind them that racism's wrong. Get them to see you as a person, maybe to consider how they'd feel if some elf nation treated their daughter/sister/girlfriend/them this way just for being human. Even if you can't convince them that you're inherently innocent, at least you should be able to appeal to their sense of justice to give you a fair trial. This treatment is Chaotic at best, and possibly Evil.

As far as getting to play the game goes, you should talk to the DM OOC about giving you some attention and time to RP this effort. It's only fair, when he's the one who's forced your PC out of the party like this.

If he seems hostile or to find you unreasonable, it may be time to ask him if he has a problem with your character being part of the game. Try to do it in a non-hostile way; you're trying to determine if you're somehow causing a problem for his game, not trying to accuse him of anything. If he has an issue with your character, you'll need to discuss that with him at greater length, and perhaps bring in something different if you wish to keep playing. If he doesn't, then explain to him that you don't mind RPing the racial difficulties and strife, but that he's essentially no-selling any effort to play. Interesting problems have at least something resembling opportunity for resolution. "Wait to be rescued" is not a protagonist's role; it's a damsel in distress's role. And that's what you're reduced to, here.

ohil
2014-08-25, 02:11 PM
It's actually a +100 They assume everything out of my mouth is a lie and they are only keeping me alive because I'm half human and one of my companions was a justicar. So they made a deal with him and bound and gagged me so I couldn't try and talk my way out of anything.

If I would of been full drow or not had him speak up for me they were going to lynch me on site. as it was this is a mercy I guess being locked up. and My bag of holding had over 500 days of trail rations so they can easily keep me alive for the week on my own food and not cost them a cent.

Segv: Thanks thats what I was looking for . I have a base 17 for my diplomacy so I should be able to make it. (skill focus comes in handy).

I'll message my gm in a little bit here. That's why I wanted some other peoples ideas.

Shoat
2014-08-25, 02:13 PM
There really is no excuse for allegedly good-aligned priests (who have someone powerful enough for city-wide anti-magic field among them) to do something like this.
Having city guards be hateful racist bastards (which, btw, does NOT grant everyone a +20 on anything, let alone on everything) is one thing, but as soon as they dragged you to the LG god's temple to have you imprisoned under it the LG priests (if the DM knew how GOOD characters worked) would have intervened and stopped that nonsense.

It really sounds like you're getting screwed with (fate worse than death to your character for literally no reason) - if your DM personally hates Drow (which I suspect might be the cause of this weird situation) he should have told you up-front and not let you play as one.

The Glyphstone
2014-08-25, 02:16 PM
Time to have a pointed three-way conversation between yourself, the DM, and the nearest blunt object (such as a DMG). Force him to explain why he is screwing you over OOC, and you can decide what to do about it - this is not something you can resolve IC.

jjcrpntr
2014-08-25, 02:17 PM
He was arrested because the city they are in had a large part of it's population wiped out by Drow in it's past and as such has a "if you see a drow kill it on sight" rule. The only reason he wasn't executed on sight was was because a party member of his is known to the church and is respected. Had he let his party members negotiate with the guards instead of constantly taunting the guards and making the situation worse he would have been able to work something out.

and if this is really bugging you that badly, come over when you get off work we'll figure something out.

ohil
2014-08-25, 02:21 PM
Oh I have been correct Lawful Netural not Lawful good. I thought lawful good was off.

Zaq
2014-08-25, 02:21 PM
It still doesn't make any sense for the city to keep him IN rather than keeping him OUT. Exile him from the city (with a Mark of Justice, if you like) and make it clear what will happen if he comes back, but don't keep him cooped up in jail. That just doesn't make sense IC (because why would they want to KEEP someone they hate?) or OOC (because your friend here isn't getting to play the game with you, and that's not cool).

Sith_Happens
2014-08-25, 02:23 PM
A disguise check which he already failed. Its gonna be hard to convince a bunch of paladins that this guy who looked like a half drow, but suddenly doesn't, was cursed. They're just going to assume that its the same half drow attempting to disguise himself.

Correction: a Disguise check that a single guard beat, presumably by rolling well. And the guards aren't even the ones holding the OP's character, a temple is. So just beat all of their Spot checks (which shouldn't be hard with the +20 that the OP apparently has) and then convince them that the ones who brought you in made a terrible mistake and it would be a blatant injustice to keep holding you for a crime you're obviously innocent of.

Shoat
2014-08-25, 02:23 PM
"if you see a drow kill it on sight" rule.

It may be so that a good part of the city's population, including the guards, think so.
But again, if there is a major LG god's church in town, they'd not agree with something like that (let alone take part in it by allowing the city to lock someone up in THEIR temple due to hateful reasons), because hate crimes and non-evil alignment do not mix.

dascarletm
2014-08-25, 02:25 PM
It still doesn't make any sense for the city to keep him IN rather than keeping him OUT. Exile him from the city (with a Mark of Justice, if you like) and make it clear what will happen if he comes back, but don't keep him cooped up in jail. That just doesn't make sense IC (because why would they want to KEEP someone they hate?) or OOC (because your friend here isn't getting to play the game with you, and that's not cool).

I'm not seeing sending off someone who is related to a group of people that in recent times killed ~50% of the population as a good idea. It would make far more sense to keep them locked up and unable to harm the city in some way.

EDIT:

It may be so that a good part of the city's population, including the guards, think so.
But again, if there is a major LG god's church in town, they'd not agree with something like that (let alone take part in it by allowing the city to lock someone up in THEIR temple due to hateful reasons), because hate crimes and non-evil alignment do not mix.
This is DnD. Such is par for the course.

ohil
2014-08-25, 02:26 PM

It was Lawful netural not Lawful good I was wrong on that

jjcrpntr
2014-08-25, 02:28 PM
I'm not seeing sending off someone who is related to a group of people that in recent times killed ~50% of the population as a good idea. It would make far more sense to keep them locked up and unable to harm the city in some way.

EDIT:

This is DnD. Such is par for the course.

This is a large part of their reasoning. Also it's a lawful Neutral temple not good. And the matter has been resolved between the player and I already.

dascarletm
2014-08-25, 02:33 PM
the matter has been resolved between the player and I already.

That's good. However, don't be surprised if this thread goes off on a 5-10 page long debate on alignment or some other such thing. :smallwink:

ohil
2014-08-25, 02:35 PM
As I said I want IC ways to do it. I forgot to try and diplomacy way through the guard bringing my food. So If you come up with other good ways let me know. This whole thread was about trying to give me ideas for my character to get out not to hassle my gm.

jjcrpntr
2014-08-25, 02:42 PM
That's good. However, don't be surprised if this thread goes off on a 5-10 page long debate on alignment or some other such thing. :smallwink:

At least people have things to talk about today.

I may be a **** of a dm sometimes. I do dm fiat dc's in instances, give circumstance bonuses/penalties as I see fit. But I hope if you asked my table they'd tell you that more often then not I do things in their favor. Sometimes thematically things happen. In this case the guard had encountered the player (without disguise) before and rolled a nat 20 on his check to see through the disguise check. That coupled with the bard talking ****, and not trying diplomacy got him arrested.

Red Fel
2014-08-25, 02:59 PM
I'd like to second those who say that this is an out-of-character problem, and not an in-character one; in-character solutions aren't going to help if everybody is receiving arbitrary +NI bonuses to stop your character from doing anything.

And I appreciate that your DM is allowing you a backup character to use while your primary PC is out of commission. That's at least a passable offering, and I have to give some credit there. The problem is that he has taken your PC out of commission in the first place, and is keeping the PC out of commission arbitrarily and effectively without save. (Giving NPCs +NI to stop you from acting is equivalent to giving you no options.)

I agree that this situation mandates a sit-down with the DM. Be civil, and express appreciation that he's at least offering you a means to stay in the game. But cover several points. Removing a PC from the game, without affording them any meaningful opportunity to save or resist or what-have-you, is Not Cool. In this case, putting the PC in jail, giving the NPCs arbitrarily high rolls, and informing that the PC will be released at the end of the adventure is Totally Not Cool, and offering a replacement PC isn't going to cut it.1 Putting a PC in a situation where a single bad roll will remove that PC from the game is Not Cool. In this case, putting a Half-Drow into a Drow-hating city, knowing that at first sight, the Half-Drow will be detained arbitrarily and indefinitely, is not cool. Yes, you should have known that playing any kind of Drow puts you in danger of racism, but you at least took precautions; a DM doesn't have to handle the PCs with kid gloves, but should always create the opportunity to get out of a bad situation. None exists here; Totally Not Cool. If the DM really wanted to make this a possibility, he should have warned you that it might occur, to better incentivize you to prepare for it. Did he? If not, call him out on it; if your preparations were reasonable for a situation where NPCs didn't have +NI to all rolls against Drow, they should have been reasonable here.

1"I've got a slug."
"Pray, does it talk?"
"... No?"
"Then it's hardly a bloody replacement, now is it?"

Sith_Happens
2014-08-25, 03:10 PM
In this case the guard had encountered the player (without disguise) before and rolled a nat 20 on his check to see through the disguise check.

That'll do it. 20 (roll) + 4 (recognizes on sight) = 24 (exactly what ohil rolled on Disguise).

ohil
2014-08-25, 03:13 PM
Oh my gm came up with a great idea for my next PC a mute druid who can only talk through his familiar lol That shall be fun.

But no He warned me. He has been clear that the low level tape is off. Our character can die and if we do stupid things we will get in trouble. The rest of the party just seemed to forget and wanted to stay in the city. I rolled crap for my disguise. It happens.

And if he just let me go because I wasn't having fun then the game would suck. I need to be freed for in game reasons. otherwise why bother doing anything IC.

Bad things happen to non humans. Why else would you ever play another race. I chose a half drow instead of the half elf the for role play aspect. It offers me no benefit besides cool looking eyes.

jjcrpntr
2014-08-25, 03:29 PM
I'd like to second those who say that this is an out-of-character problem, and not an in-character one; in-character solutions aren't going to help if everybody is receiving arbitrary +NI bonuses to stop your character from doing anything.

And I appreciate that your DM is allowing you a backup character to use while your primary PC is out of commission. That's at least a passable offering, and I have to give some credit there. The problem is that he has taken your PC out of commission in the first place, and is keeping the PC out of commission arbitrarily and effectively without save. (Giving NPCs +NI to stop you from acting is equivalent to giving you no options.)

I agree that this situation mandates a sit-down with the DM. Be civil, and express appreciation that he's at least offering you a means to stay in the game. But cover several points. Removing a PC from the game, without affording them any meaningful opportunity to save or resist or what-have-you, is Not Cool. In this case, putting the PC in jail, giving the NPCs arbitrarily high rolls, and informing that the PC will be released at the end of the adventure is Totally Not Cool, and offering a replacement PC isn't going to cut it.1 Putting a PC in a situation where a single bad roll will remove that PC from the game is Not Cool. In this case, putting a Half-Drow into a Drow-hating city, knowing that at first sight, the Half-Drow will be detained arbitrarily and indefinitely, is not cool. Yes, you should have known that playing any kind of Drow puts you in danger of racism, but you at least took precautions; a DM doesn't have to handle the PCs with kid gloves, but should always create the opportunity to get out of a bad situation. None exists here; Totally Not Cool. If the DM really wanted to make this a possibility, he should have warned you that it might occur, to better incentivize you to prepare for it. Did he? If not, call him out on it; if your preparations were reasonable for a situation where NPCs didn't have +NI to all rolls against Drow, they should have been reasonable here.

1"I've got a slug."
"Pray, does it talk?"
"... No?"
"Then it's hardly a bloody replacement, now is it?"

For the record, when he made the character he was warned in advance about the issues it would rise. When the party decided to go to this city I warned him out of game about it giving him ample time to get disguise kits/whatever.

I respect people don't like me locking up a PC, but I feel I've been totally fair in this case. I don't have a problem with the player, or the character (though she can be a bit annoying sometimes).
I'm not unreasonable. As I said the player had been warned several times that he has a tendency to talk crap to everyone, not in the diplomacy roll way and that would bite him if he keeps it up. In this case it bit him. There was a plan for his bard, he wasn't going to be locked up forever. I'm glad the player is having fun with it (hey i get to try another class for a week) rather than throwing a fit. In the dm's defense (IE me) the player has, as of yet, not attempted any diplomacy on the guards. They started to arrested him and he just starting talking crap. As you said, no kid gloves. If you're a drow in a city that hates drow and you get caught looking like a drow and you talk **** to those people, bad things happen.

To the players credit he knew this was a strong possibility and had been begging the party to get out of the town as fast as they could. Unfortunately for him there's an event going on and the others aren't too keen on leaving.

Rubik
2014-08-25, 03:37 PM
But again, if there is a major LG god's church in town, they'd not agree with something like that (let alone take part in it by allowing the city to lock someone up in THEIR temple due to hateful reasons), because hate crimes and non-evil alignment do not mix.Except for elves and dwarves, which believe it's the height of Good (Chaotic and Lawful, respectively) to destroy in the name of racist ideals.

Segev
2014-08-25, 03:46 PM
Sounds to me like the player misunderstood or misread some cues from the DM in play, and got his character into a predicament, but that further communication between DM and player has mostly resolved what OOC problems there were. I suspect Diplomacy will help him get out.

If not, it really is all about skills and creative ideas. Search the cell for weaknesses or maybe some former prisoner's escape tunnel. Try to hide in the cell so the guard sees it as empty, then do the ol' ambush trick when he comes in to investigate. Or steal his keys and slip out while he's looking for you, locking him inside. If the guard's potentially corrupt, try a Bluff check to seduce him. He can hate your guts and still think you're hot, and maybe would enjoy reinforcing his power over you. That can also get him close enough for ambush or pickpocketing.

I definitely would strive for diplomacy first, though; the rest will dig you deeper if you get caught again.

Ferronach
2014-08-25, 04:06 PM
jjncrptr: I agree with what you did. In fact I have done similar things as a Dm and had done to me as a PC.
I have found that sometimes you need to give the payers (esp. newer ones) a hint every now and then if they appear to be stuck or digging themselves a hole. A well placed "are you sure?" can go a loooong way :)

ohil: I am glad that you were able to work this out with your DM as it is not fun for either party when something like this happens.
If you are still looking for an IC way to deal with this for that specific character may I suggest the following (provided your back-story does not contradict this):
Start by apologizing to the guards.
Once they start to listen, ask them why they hate the Drow so much.
Proceed to tell them how your town was attacked by Drow and you are the result of some R. Pillage & Plundering that went on. You Hate the fact that you are half Drow and seek to lead a life in the service of good in spite of it.

Note: As a Bard, you may be able to bluff your way through parts of this even if your back-story does not work with it. Be careful with this though as you can get yourself into more trouble by lying.

Sith_Happens
2014-08-25, 04:16 PM
Note: As a Bard, you may be able to bluff your way through parts of this even if your back-story does not work with it. Be careful with this though as you can get yourself into more trouble by lying.

Also be ready to overcome a +10 Sense Motive bonus for a request that "puts the target at significant risk" (i.e.- release a part-Drow). Though if you have a +20 Disguise in an Antimagic Field my guess is you've done at least that much with your Bluff as well.

dascarletm
2014-08-25, 04:53 PM
EDIT:

Curse my failure at multitasking.

Sith_Happens
2014-08-25, 04:59 PM
Perhaps this wizard can divine the future, sees that he will one day be at odds with the party, and has plans to use a certain spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/simulacrum.htm).

Wrong thread.

dascarletm
2014-08-25, 05:01 PM
Wrong thread.

haha thanks.

icefractal
2014-08-25, 08:28 PM
P.s. That's what my bard said along with no she would not sleep with the gaurd and that's why he was attacking her
ಠ_ಠ
Doesn't sound even lawful, much less good. Also, creepy, unless the guards of this city are supposed to be scum antagonists.

Sith_Happens
2014-08-25, 09:17 PM
ಠ_ಠ
Doesn't sound even lawful, much less good. Also, creepy, unless the guards of this city are supposed to be scum antagonists.

At least according to much of the media I've consumed, pointed sexual advances are a relatively common tool in the arsenal of bigots against those they hate. Rather contradictory, but there you go.

jjcrpntr
2014-08-25, 10:07 PM
ಠ_ಠ

The guards never actually made any advances or comments towards the character. That was just the crap she was yelling at them while they were arresting her.

ohil
2014-08-26, 08:50 AM
Arresting, Assaulting, and beating along with gagging her up. After the very uncalled for grapple and hair pulling. :D. Like I said I was never made at Gm. He gave me warning but the stupid ass town has the only port on the whole giant island. I rolled a 4 total with all bonuses it made a 24. I knew as a pc it was a bad role but I hate it when players are like oh I rolled a 1 on search for traps their could still be a trap there. No I believe in doing something and being confident so when I search for traps I give the same response if I roll a 1 or 20 and the dm says I find no traps I move to that spot my self.

My pc is part of the Drow underground a group of rogue drow and rogue half drow who are bent on stopping the drow race. The underground currently is made up of one member so yes she is anti drow.

But Honestly when we spent a week in the town the first time I should of been caught. I blame the GM in no way for locking me up. He did it for in game reasons and yes My bard talked smack about the guard. While my gm says oh you had a chance to not be locked up. When she is in a town full of racist biggits, who are literally calling for her to be hanged she isn't going to believe in their good will. I honestly thought my pc was going to die and was going to get her last few insults in at the Chaotic Evil town.

My problem is I try and see each pc as it's own person so when I made up my ninja and the gm mentioned a reward for the killing of drow and half drow my ninja actually wanted her free so he could collect the reward hence me killing a pc I really like but thats what the character would do.

If my gm let me go cause I complained at him (which he probably would) Then I would A. Be really bored for no consequences for my actions, or B. Do a lot of crazy crazy crazy things well what I consider to be over the line well past his over the line. But I figure if My pc frees her self for jail she'll be more careful until she has set bribes to get her out of jail so it wont happen next time.

atemu1234
2014-08-26, 02:05 PM
Arresting, Assaulting, and beating along with gagging her up. After the very uncalled for grapple and hair pulling. :D. Like I said I was never made at Gm. He gave me warning but the stupid ass town has the only port on the whole giant island. I rolled a 4 total with all bonuses it made a 24. I knew as a pc it was a bad role but I hate it when players are like oh I rolled a 1 on search for traps their could still be a trap there. No I believe in doing something and being confident so when I search for traps I give the same response if I roll a 1 or 20 and the dm says I find no traps I move to that spot my self.

My pc is part of the Drow underground a group of rogue drow and rogue half drow who are bent on stopping the drow race. The underground currently is made up of one member so yes she is anti drow.

But Honestly when we spent a week in the town the first time I should of been caught. I blame the GM in no way for locking me up. He did it for in game reasons and yes My bard talked smack about the guard. While my gm says oh you had a chance to not be locked up. When she is in a town full of racist biggits, who are literally calling for her to be hanged she isn't going to believe in their good will. I honestly thought my pc was going to die and was going to get her last few insults in at the Chaotic Evil town.

My problem is I try and see each pc as it's own person so when I made up my ninja and the gm mentioned a reward for the killing of drow and half drow my ninja actually wanted her free so he could collect the reward hence me killing a pc I really like but thats what the character would do.

If my gm let me go cause I complained at him (which he probably would) Then I would A. Be really bored for no consequences for my actions, or B. Do a lot of crazy crazy crazy things well what I consider to be over the line well past his over the line. But I figure if My pc frees her self for jail she'll be more careful until she has set bribes to get her out of jail so it wont happen next time.

I don't include explicit sexual content in my campaigns as a rule, at least without the players consenting or requesting. It works to avoid situations like that.

2014-08-26, 02:13 PM
Except for elves and dwarves, which believe it's the height of Good (Chaotic and Lawful, respectively) to destroy in the name of racist ideals.

Finally, another person who respects the Orcs for the sapient begins they are.

Sith_Happens
2014-08-26, 02:25 PM
I don't include explicit sexual content in my campaigns as a rule, at least without the players consenting or requesting. It works to avoid situations like that.

No one ever said there was any here. Perhaps you posted in the wrong thread?:smallconfused:

Harlot
2014-08-26, 02:44 PM
OMG this thread just made me LOL!!!
Because of this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?347285-Warlock-stuck-in-antimagic-zone-(Maze))
Annoying DM's unite!!!

On that note, the Disney Princess solution worked for me (that is, sit down and wait for the cavalry to show up :-P

jjcrpntr
2014-08-26, 02:53 PM
OMG this thread just made me LOL!!!
Because of this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?347285-Warlock-stuck-in-antimagic-zone-(Maze))
Annoying DM's unite!!!

On that note, the Disney Princess solution worked for me (that is, sit down and wait for the cavalry to show up :-P

Would you believe me if I said I got the idea for this anti-magic field covered city from that thread?

1pwny
2014-08-26, 02:54 PM
Wait wait wat wait wait.... Did I misread the OP? They have a god locked up below you? HOW? Its a GOD! Who cares about anti-magic? Its a GOD. And if, for whatever reason, the temple casually has a few level 20 people sitting around on their butts, that shouldn't be possible (fluff-wise)! And really, the only thing (that I can tell) that's keeping you locked up is fluff! So if they can fluff you in, they have to fluff the God out!

And wait a sec here. Let's look this line over a bit:

It's actually a +100
You can't just do that! If you're DM is casually handing out +100 bonuses, then what is he doing? This makes no sense!

The only reason I can think of why the DM would do something like this is if you and he had a bit of an argument during Character Creation about choosing to be a Half-Drow. Did you go against his wishes and be one anyway? I f so, then this is probably revenge.

Harlot
2014-08-26, 03:01 PM
Would you believe me if I said I got the idea for this anti-magic field covered city from that thread?
OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!!!!

This way I can NEVER post anything again, for fear some evil DM will use against his sweet, naïve, and absolutely harmless PC's.
It this your way of stopping my rants in this forum?
:smallwink:

Sith_Happens
2014-08-26, 03:07 PM
Wait wait wat wait wait.... Did I misread the OP?

Yes, yes you did. Ohil's character is just locked in a temple.

So what you're saying is, you know the difference between an antimagic field and a dead magic zone and chose the former anyways? ANTI-ANTIMAGIC TABLECLOTH IS A GO.:smalltongue:

Harlot
2014-08-26, 03:18 PM
Yes! OP, You just need to find a tablecloth, and you're good to go.
DMofDarkness:
If it is an Antimagic Field, it is an emanation, which can be blocked off by line of effect. In which case, all you need to do is find the source, [and] put a tablecloth over it.

Sith_Happens
2014-08-26, 03:35 PM
A blanket will do in a pinch, and ohil should hopefully have one of those on-hand. The hard part is finding a spell that can get you out of a jail cell while completely bundled up, and even then there's no guarantee that ohil knows it.

Harlot
2014-08-26, 03:48 PM
So if you're wearing a burka or an equivalent, you're permanently wearing an anti antimagic device?

Segev
2014-08-26, 03:49 PM
So if you're wearing a burka or an equivalent, you're permanently wearing an anti antimagic device?

Clothes don't break line of effect. You'd have to set it up as a tower shield, at the least.

jjcrpntr
2014-08-26, 04:09 PM
OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!!!!

This way I can NEVER post anything again, for fear some evil DM will use against his sweet, naïve, and absolutely harmless PC's.
It this your way of stopping my rants in this forum?
:smallwink:

I did, thematically it actually fit very well with this city. Contrary to what this thread may seem I don't arbitrarily screw over my PC's. But I do like throwing thematic fluff stuff at them for fun.

Harlot
2014-08-27, 04:55 AM
Contrary to what this thread may seem I don't arbitrarily screw over my PC's.
Well, there's the difference between my DM and you ...

ohil
2014-08-27, 11:44 AM
No, and we enjoy it. I lost my fast healing 1 ring to a cursed ring that was better, well it was better until I found out it was cursed. I put it on my self. We use the fumble cards.

The fluff matters to 6 out of 7 of the players in the group. One person has to roll a d20 to see what he does. Another player rolled a d6 even vs odds to see if he would help my half drow. I saved his life a few times. He eventually died while I hid because of my curse.

And nope no blanket, these are bad evil people who torture their unfairly captured prisoners :D.

There was no undueness in the game it was just my character trying to distract them as she was about to be hung.