PDA

View Full Version : cantrips that require an attack roll

Eliana Solange
2014-08-25, 03:25 PM
Does anyone have a list of cantrips that require an attack roll, and are thus available to be taken as the bonus cantrip as part of the Spell Sniper feat?

Yuki Akuma
2014-08-25, 03:37 PM
'Kay.

Chill Touch
Eldritch Blast
Fire Bolt
Produce Flame
Ray of Frost
Shocking Grasp
Thorn Whip

There's actually not that many!

Amusingly, despite being mentioned in the feat, Bards and Clerics have no cantrips that require an attack roll.

Totema
2014-08-25, 03:44 PM
Amusingly, despite being mentioned in the feat, Bards and Clerics have no cantrips that require an attack roll. I'd bet my neck that they wrote that to avoid future errata when they do get some attack roll cantrips. :smallsmile:

hawklost
2014-08-25, 03:48 PM
You forgot one

Thorn Whip

Yuki Akuma
2014-08-25, 03:52 PM
So I did. Edit'd.

Dublock
2014-08-25, 03:54 PM
A Bard can get an attack roll cantrip from Magical Secrets, now if its worth it or not is up for debate, but it is possible without multiclassing.

Yuki Akuma
2014-08-25, 03:56 PM
A Bard can get an attack roll cantrip from Magical Secrets, now if its worth it or not is up for debate, but it is possible without multiclassing.

...Which has absolutely nothing to do with the effects of the Spell Sniper feat.

Yorrin
2014-08-25, 04:01 PM
Wait, does Shillelagh no longer have an attack roll!? (still waiting for Amazon to ship my frikkin preorder:smallfurious:)

Dublock
2014-08-25, 04:03 PM
...Which has absolutely nothing to do with the effects of the Spell Sniper feat.

Not quite true.

If you wanted a cantrip with attack rolls for Bard, you can select a cantrip with Magical Secrets that will count that as a Barc spell, the spell sniping feat will allow you to switch the casting attribute to Charisma instead of whatever the default is. Unless I missed that spells obtained by Magic Secrets are based off of Cha and not whatever stat is originally is.

Edit: Besides I thought to add some tangentially related information that is is possible to natively get attack roll catrips on Bard.

Yuki Akuma
2014-08-25, 04:05 PM
Shillelagh (God I hate that word) enhances a club or staff to deal 1d8+Casting stat damage, and use your casting stat on the to-hit roll. It's not actually an attack in and of itself.

Not quite true.

If you wanted a cantrip with attack rolls for Bard, you can select a cantrip with Magical Secrets that will count that as a Barc spell, the spell sniping feat will allow you to switch the casting attribute to Charisma instead of whatever the default is. Unless I missed that spells obtained by Magic Secrets are based off of Cha and not whatever stat is originally is.

Edit: Besides I thought to add some tangentially related information that is is possible to natively get attack roll catrips on Bard.

That's... not how Spell Sniper works, though? It lets you choose a spell list, then choose a cantrip with an attack roll from that spell list. Your casting stat for that cantrip depends on which spell list you chose. It doesn't let you change the casting stat of a cantrip you already know.

eastmabl
2014-08-25, 04:06 PM
Wait, does Shillelagh no longer have an attack roll!? (still waiting for Amazon to ship my frikkin preorder:smallfurious:)

I don't have my PHB in front of me, but IIRC shillelagh doesn't have a separate attack roll from the weapon you cast it on. This differs from cantrips like fire bolt, which does damage all by itself.

Yorrin
2014-08-25, 04:07 PM
Shillelagh (God I hate that word) enhances a club or staff to deal 1d8+Casting stat damage, and use your casting stat on the to-hit roll. It's not actually an attack in and of itself.

Ah, that's changed from the last playtest packet, iirc. Good to know.

hymer
2014-08-25, 04:09 PM

It's more of an 'enchant this piece of wood', and as such it does not require an attack roll... But you do need to take an attack action to use the enchanted bit of wood, and so make an attack roll. I could see it being ruled both ways, but it's not really Spell Sniper ... oeuvre.

Edit: What's the ninja of 5th edition??

Edit: Shadow Monk'ed! Thanks, Yuki Akuma. :smallbiggrin:

Eliana Solange
2014-08-25, 04:12 PM
Shillelagh is questionable IMO for the purposes of Spell Sniper.

Casting the spell transforms the weapon without requiring any rolls.

Using the weapon requires an attack roll, obviously, and the effect of the Shillelagh is that you can use your spellcasting ability instead of strength for attack and damage rolls (as well as the damage die becoming a d8, and the weapon counting as magical).

And thanks @Yuki for doing the searching for me :)

Yuki Akuma
2014-08-25, 04:13 PM
Edit: What's the ninja of 5th edition??

That would be the Way of Shadow Monk.

Cog
2014-08-26, 02:04 PM
Shillelagh is questionable IMO for the purposes of Spell Sniper.

Casting the spell transforms the weapon without requiring any rolls.
Exactly. Nothing in Shillelagh requires you to attack with the weapon. You could hang around wit it in your hand and not do anything, or you could drop the weapon; either way you've never made a Shillelagh-related attack roll, so it's hard to say that Shillelagh requires one. Something like Eldritch Blast doesn't give you any option for not making an attack roll once you've cast it.

Ramshack
2014-08-26, 03:11 PM
I would agree that Shillelagh doesn't count as it does not require an attack roll to cast. You can choose to later make an attack roll with the enchanted item, but that action is outside of the spell action.

Vhaluus
2014-08-26, 06:15 PM
surely eldritch blast qualifies?