PDA

View Full Version : Another Dual Hand Cross Bow Thread... Build Questions.

Ramshack
2014-08-25, 04:30 PM
So the point of this thread isn't to argue the rules as my DM has decided that the feat as written ignores the reload property so I don't need a free hand to reload, and as the feat provides it's own rules for the bonus attack action that it falls outside the TWF rules and I can add my dex modifier to the attack. So those are the rules I am playing with for our campaign this weekend. We will be playing the Dragon Horde Premade level's 1-7 and possibly carrying this characters in the follow up rise of tiamat adventure.

I have two Ideas how I want to build this character was hoping to have the collective knowledge of the playground weigh in.

Race: Human starting dex: 18
The first was 3 ranger (hunter), 3 rogue (assassin).

Level 1: Favored Enemy, Natural Explorer, Feat: Crossbow Expert
Level 2: Fighting Style Archery, Ranger Spells
Level 3: Horde Breaker (extra attack)
Level 4: Thieve's Cant, Sneak Attack 1d6, 20 dex
Level 5: Cunning Action:
Level 6: Automatic Crit on Surprise Round or if a Creature hasn't acted in combat, Sneak attack d6

Essentially The idea is 2 attacks at (+10 1d6+5, +10 1d6+5) and possible another +10 1d6+5 if there is an adjacent creature, on surprise rounds or when I act first in combat (+10 4d6 +5, +10 4d6 +5, +10 4d6 +5)

Benefits: 1st Level Ranger Spells, great skill proficiency's, great surprise round damage

Disadvantage: delayed sharpshooter feat, situational third attack, lower hit die

Questions:

I'm on sure on the rules if I would get a second attack at level 5. (potentially 4 attacks a round)
Don't know where to go from there except, Fighter? or continue in either rogue or ranger.

Human
Fighter 6
Fighter: Archery Fighting Style, Second Wind
Fighter: Action Surge
Fighter: Improved Critical I guess?
Fighter 4: Dex 20
Fighter 5: Second Attack
Fighter 6: Sharp Shooter?

At level 6: I could do (+10 1d6 +5, +10 1d6 +5, +10 1d6 +5) or (+5 1d6 +15, +5 1d6 +15, +5 1d6 +15), and can action surge for 2 more shots.

Benefits, both feats and +2 dex by 6th level, guaranteed 3 attacks at 5, archery fighting style at level 1, Action Surge, good hit die

Disadvantages, third attack at level 5 instead of level 3, underwhelming fighter 3 ability, poor skill proficiencies, no thieves cant, no natural explorer no spells etc

Thoughts?

BRC
2014-08-25, 04:31 PM
How are you starting with Dex 18? are you rolling up stats and assuming really good rolls?

Ramshack
2014-08-25, 04:33 PM
Rolled a 17 and +1 from Human.

Ramshack
2014-08-26, 02:59 PM
Not sure where to post this but i did ask wizard of the coast to clarify the bonus attack with hand crossbows, this was the response:

Thank you for contacting us at Wizards of the Coast.

For your question, you would be able to add your bonus modifiers as the second attack is still an attack and would follow the rules laid out on page 193-194 under "Making an Attack"

If you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know! We are happy to help.

Thank you and happy gaming!

We would appreciate your feedback on the service we are providing you. Please click here to fill out a short questionnaire.

To login to your account or update your question, please click here.

Sarah M.
Online Response Crew
Wizards of the Coast
1-800-324-6496 (US and Canada)
425-204-8069 (From all other countries)
Monday-Friday 9am-6pm PST / 12pm-9pm EST
Saturday-Sunday 10am-4pm PST / 1pm-7pm EST
Customer Question By CSS Web (Matt McCue) (08/24/2014 10:12 AM)
I have a question reference rules as written in the Players Hand book for dnd 5th.

Crossbow Expert Feat.

"The feat states: When you use the Attack action and attack with a one handed weapon, you can use a bonus action to attack with a loaded hand crossbow you are holding."

Is this bonus attack made with or without the bonus damage from the creatures dex modifier.

Thank you!

Page Number: 165
Book Name: 5th Edition Player's Handbook

Human Paragon 3
2014-08-26, 03:10 PM
Idunno. I might start with rogue for better proficiencies and then switch to fighter for extra attacks, action surge, and archery style.

Ranger spells don't do as much as action surge IMO, unless you have some specific thing you were going for?

The ranger hunter archetype abilities are pretty good, but it's basically an extra attack that's unreliable. Action surge always works (even though it's just once per short rest, it'll be there when you need it).

Also, you don't get your ability boost at 4, since it's a class feature now, not something that automatically occurs at level 4.

Ramshack
2014-08-26, 03:16 PM
That stat increase feature really hurts multiclassing then, delaying feats and ability scores

BRC
2014-08-26, 03:37 PM
My character may end up this way. Right now I'm using a Rapier and a Hand Crossbow (I'm not exactly super optimized for this, since I went with Armored fighting style) but I could easily see myself picking up a second hand crossbow for when I want more ranged firepower.

Human Paragon 3
2014-08-26, 04:04 PM
That stat increase feature really hurts multiclassing then, delaying feats and ability scores

Yup. It's the strongest incentive to remain single-classed. Unless you break up your multiclassing into blocks of four levels, then you don't lose your feats/ability bonuses. But who does that?