PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 + PF] Skill Tricks and Freerunner

Palanan
2014-08-25, 04:34 PM
Is there some clever benefit to Freerunner that isn't immediately apparent?

The text implies that the two bonus skill tricks count against your character's total limit--and the errata text states this plainly. So, as best as I can tell, this is one of the least useful feats in 3.5, since all it really does is save you four skill points for the cost of a feat.

Is there some cunning hidden synergy that only the sharpest players catch? Or is it as truly awful as it looks?

--And is there a similar (but better) movement subsystem somewhere in Pathfinder?

Fax Celestis
2014-08-25, 04:37 PM
The only way Freerunner is worth the paper it's printed on is if they're in exception to your normal maximum. Otherwise, the feat quite literally does nothing but save you four skill points, and if you're doing that, you might as well take the equally terrible Open Minded feat to gain 5 skill points and have a free point to actually put in a skill.

Palanan
2014-08-25, 04:47 PM
Thanks--that was my impression, and I did indeed compare it with Open Minded.

Looks like I have an open feat slot now--and fewer skill tricks to boot.

: /

Zaq
2014-08-25, 06:10 PM
Normally, you can only learn one skill trick per level. With Freerunner, you can learn three (one normally, two through Freerunner). So if you suddenly qualify for a bunch that you want, Freerunner will let you get them all at once, rather than waiting three levels.

It's a pretty weak benefit, but it is a benefit.