PDA

View Full Version : noob question about wizard magic

Yagyujubei
2014-08-25, 05:26 PM
never played one before since im not huge into magic, but how do you determine "Spells Known" for wizard. They just have the spellbook feature right? so does that mean you "know" any spell in the wizard list and can choose from any of them for filling up your slots each extended rest?

rlc
2014-08-25, 05:42 PM
basically, you start with three cantrips and six 1st-level spells of your choice at level 1 and you learn two spells that you can cast whenever you gain a level.

Totema
2014-08-25, 07:23 PM
Yeah, they essentially have their spellbook instead of an innate "spells known" stat. It works the same way in most cases but gives them a little more flexibility in learning new spells. They still automatically learn more spells when they level up.

Yagyujubei
2014-08-25, 07:34 PM
yeah I was just curious as to how many new spells you got per level but I guess it's 2. having the spellbook feature though makes it seem to me like you could get extra spells by say, going to a vendor that sells spell scrolls and inscribing them into your own book whereas other classes can't really do that (aside from tome pact warlock with rituals)

golentan
2014-08-25, 07:39 PM
yeah I was just curious as to how many new spells you got per level but I guess it's 2. having the spellbook feature though makes it seem to me like you could get extra spells by say, going to a vendor that sells spell scrolls and inscribing them into your own book whereas other classes can't really do that (aside from tome pact warlock with rituals)

This is a time honored practice for most wizards, yes. Many a character has run out of space in their book and had to upgrade to a library: the only limitation is research.

Dayman
2014-08-25, 08:03 PM
Don't Clerics and Wizards have the ability to completely change their "Spells Known"/"Prepared Spells" list following a long rest?

Townopolis
2014-08-25, 11:32 PM
Don't Clerics and Wizards have the ability to completely change their "Spells Known"/"Prepared Spells" list following a long rest?

Clerics, Wizards, and Druids (I haven't looked closely enough at the other classes to be sure about them) prepare a list of prepared spells after every long rest. These prepared spells are taken from the character's known spells and are a subset of those spells. Clerics and Druids can only cast, ritually or with slots, spells they have prepared. Wizards can only use slots to cast spells they have prepared, but may ritually cast any spell they know.

Clerics and Druids (and paladins) automatically know every single spell on their respective spell lists plus domain/circle/oath spells.

Wizards are much more complicated. Their "spells known" is really "spells written down in this book." Wizards start out with a spellbook that contains 6 level 1 spells, and they automatically add 2 wizard spells (of a level they can cast) to any spellbook they have on hand when they gain a level. However, wizards can also find new spellbooks with completely different spells known in them while adventuring. They can also find scrolls and copy them into their spellbook(s), lose their spellbook, have to start from scratch because their only spellbook was irreparably damaged, convince other wizards to let them copy spells from one wizard's spellbook to the other's... lots of stuff can happen to/with a wizard's "spells known" during an adventure.

Yuki Akuma
2014-08-26, 09:16 AM
Wizards, Clerics, Druids and Paladins prepare their 'spells known' each day. Wizards can only prepare spells in their spellbook - Clerics, Druids and Paladins can prepare any spell on their spell list.

Rangers do not know every spell on their spell list. They, like Bards, Sorcerers and Warlocks, have limited spells known, but they can cast any spell they know as long as they have a spell slot big enough.

EvilAnagram
2014-08-26, 10:52 AM
Clerics and Druids (and rangers and paladins) automatically know every single spell on their respective spell lists plus domain/circle/oath spells.

Rangers don't get to do that. They learn spells with Ranger levels according to a chart in the PHB just like Eldritch Knights, Arcane Tricksters, Sorcerers, and Warlocks.