View Full Version : Int focused Rogue 3.P

Gorr_the_Gastly
2014-08-25, 06:17 PM
Is there any alt-class features or something that would let me switch focus from solely dex and give me bonuses to Int.

I want to make a very clever rogue who doesnt think or fight like a typical rogue he uses his brain more.

Anlashok
2014-08-25, 06:52 PM
You're describing the 3.5 Factotum (dungeonscape).

Or to a lesser extent a Pathfinder Empiricist Investigator (Advanced Class Guide).

137beth
2014-08-25, 06:57 PM
Factotum looks like exactly what you are looking for.

Threadnaught
2014-08-25, 06:57 PM
Factotum

Damn, well thread won.

Fax Celestis
2014-08-25, 06:58 PM
Also, psychic rogue (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b).

Phelix-Mu
2014-08-25, 07:09 PM
Also, if you are looking to (probably unnecessarily) give yourself a bigger optimization challenge, try some combo of Int-based monk and rogue (or psychic rogue, or factotum). Int-based monk gives you access to some great AC and movement stuff, particularly the ACFs that are out there if you stick with the monk dip for a few levels (Invisible Fist, most notably, but I think there is another one from the FR stuff that grants concealment). Invisible Fist is great for a rogue flavor without wanting to dump endless amounts of skill points in the stealth skills. Combine with whisper gnome to good effect.

I'd be interested in something like lesser wispling Int-based monk/psychic rogue if I could get wispling to qualify for the halfling racial racial substitution level for monk, which grants Skirmish in exchange for Flurry of Blows. Get sparring dummy of the master and pick up 10' step.

Does psychic rogue qualify the monk for Tash? That would be a pretty interesting way to go.

Fax Celestis
2014-08-25, 07:12 PM
Does psychic rogue qualify the monk for Tash? That would be a pretty interesting way to go.

Sure does.

Gorr_the_Gastly
2014-08-25, 07:18 PM
Funny u mentioned the factotum. Rogue has carnavalist and conterfiet mage both adding the false magic and familiar similar to the factotum if ur atuck with pure base class.

Factotum seems a good fit but seems maybe a bit to generalized but thanks i might just have to use it

2014-08-26, 04:21 AM
3.5 Swashbuckler gives Int to damage, and combines well with Rogue due to Daring Outlaw.

Knowledge Devotion: if you can attempt the knowledge check, you'll get a bonus of at least +1 attack/damage; combine with the skill trick "Collector of Stories" for +5 to such checks. Dip PF Bard for this; you get Bardic Knowledge (+1 to all knowledge checks, can make any knowledge check untrained) and all knowledge skills as class skills. Depending on how lenient your DM is, you could take the Bardic Sage 3.5 ACF for a +2 to bardic knowledge checks (here being all knowledge checks). Note that Collector of Stories and Knowledge Devotion fit perfectly together with a (Sage?) Bard.

Anyway, depending on your level, circumstance bonuses, aid another bonuses, and magic items can boost your knowledge skills, as well as skill ranks if you decide a particular skill is worth it: I recommend Arcana, Nature, Local, and Planes; Religion isn't too useful for Knowledge Devotion, and Dungeoneering is aberrations and oozes, which generally need to be defeated by means other than martial prowess.

Monk with Kung Fu Genius could work well for an AC boost, but don't take it past 2nd level, and even then, makes sure to grab one of the UA ACFs that gives you actually useful bonus feats. If they fit with everything else, Tashalatora and/or Ascetic monk could work out well. All good saves isn't too shabby, although the hit to BAB will hurt.

Warblade 7. d12 HD, good Fort, bonus feat, and get Int mod to Reflex saves, crit confirms, and melee damage against sneak attack targets.

Throw in 2 levels of Fighter with the Lore Warden Archetype; it gets extra skill points, two bonus feats, and free Combat Expertise; if this is for a higher-level character, get that out of the way early, so as to more easily qualify for some good combat feats.

PF Duelist. Fair warning, the prereq feats are what makes this really questionable, so consider it carefully; do you really need a higher AC?

Come to think of it, the 3.5 Invisible Blade might be better; the prereq feats are still rough, but you would be investing about as many levels for what looks to be more payoff; you still get the AC bonus, but you all get free action feinting and extra sneak attack (with daggers/dagger-like weapons). Note how very excellently this pairs up with the Knife Master Rogue archetype (all sneak attacks with daggers/dagger-like weapons are d8s instead of d6s).

Worried about not making that Bluff check? Don't be; a dip into the 3.5 PrC Mountebank can solve that! (Note: cannot be combined with Monk; that's okay, because monk sucks for this kind of build anyway).

Come to think of it, a dip into the PF PrC Sleepless Detective gives Int mod to Perception, Sense Motive, and (under certain circumstances) Diplomacy, in addition to the normal mods. It also gives at will Detect Magic and another die of SA.

Insightful Reflexes feat from 3.5 CA replaces Dex mod to Reflex saves with Int mod.

Keen Intellect (Dragon Mag feat) does the same thing, but for Will saves.

The only real flaw I see with a build encompassing most of this is that it will be quite feat starved, and a good bit of it is on b.s. prereqs. Hope I've been helpful.