PDA

View Full Version : Player Help [Q] Half Dragon pc power level (3.5)

WhiteMorphious
2014-08-26, 01:18 AM
Hey guys I was wondering if you could give me some help with explaining the power level of the 3.5 half dragon template for a pc. I thought it would be fun to play as a half dragon knight/crusader or something along those lines. The knight for justice idea is one that I haven't ever really played yet and that seemed like an interesting way to do it however our DM is a little hesitant as he feels it may be too powerful (note this is keeping the level adjustment). However if you do think it is overpowered please offer other suggestions! There are a few people in this game who have not played DnD before so I am really trying to keep the min-maxing to a minimum (hence I'm not playing a wizard/cleric/druid or anything else that lends itself to game breakiness). Thanks everyone!

NerdicWriter
2014-08-26, 01:27 AM
The only things about a half dragon that would lend itself to being a little OP are the breath weapon which has a recharge just like a normal dragon to stop you from just spamming it. Plus not to mention you need a clear path so as to not harm other PCs which the way a lot of people play will mean you won't be using it all that often. The stat boosts are definitely also a good addition but the fact that it will increase your level by 3 for being the race is a good thing for that. So if your DM is ok with you playing as your class plus three levels for now you will be a little stronger then others at the beginning, but eventually they will catch up.

Nothing too OP with the race itself as long as you don't go out of your way to min/max the race with a class like barbarian or monk.

WhiteMorphious
2014-08-26, 01:33 AM
The only things about a half dragon that would lend itself to being a little OP are the breath weapon which has a recharge just like a normal dragon to stop you from just spamming it. Plus not to mention you need a clear path so as to not harm other PCs which the way a lot of people play will mean you won't be using it all that often. The stat boosts are definitely also a good addition but the fact that it will increase your level by 3 for being the race is a good thing for that. So if your DM is ok with you playing as your class plus three levels for now you will be a little stronger than others at the beginning, but eventually they will catch up.

Nothing too OP with the race itself as long as you don't go out of your way to min/max the race with a class like barbarian or monk.

Yeah for sure avoiding the monk (and thank you for the reply!). I'm actually going to be one level below the party regardless as I just died (mercy killed by our dwarf after he breathed fire on me xD) so it's not a fresh start the group is currently level 5 and I'll be coming in at level 4 with one mandatory level in fighter so even with the half dragon template it will be quiet awhile before I'm at the level of the rest of the group.

Windstorm
2014-08-26, 01:34 AM
low-op groups will think its broken if you use it with a martial, most competent groups will understand its very much a trade off of late-game power for early game advantage, with the exception of the risks you take by having 3 less HD than anyone else.

Inevitability
2014-08-26, 02:37 AM
What level are you starting? At ECL4, Half-Dragons will probably just be killed by random mook #1 if they only have 14 HP at most. At ECL20, you may be able to make it work.

Or take a look at this: http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030912a