PDA

View Full Version : Player Help What to play?

Mari01
2014-08-26, 04:39 AM
Im going to be joining a group here shortly and I have a mental block on what to play to suit the groups' needs. I'm looking to be at Tier 2/3 so as to not overshadow other players, but be competent enough on my own slightly. Books allowed are CRB, Ultimate Combat/Magic, and APG.

Druid. Newer player mostly using blast spells and sends animal companion into melee. Doesn't really to know what she's fully capable of, and sticks mostly to a support role.
Gunslinger. Ranged DPS pure and simple. Finds a target within range and pokes holes/uses grit until its dead.
Wizard. A Transmuter, but the DM's character due to an earlier player shortage. Battlefield control mostly.
Cleric. Healbot. Belonged to another player and the group didn't want to phase him out of the adventure until the character actually dies.
Ranger. Similar to the druid. W

I've noticed the group doesn't have a very strong melee presence, but I'm not interested in being a strictly combat melee class. I was thinking something along the lines of Ninja, but getting sneak attacks as the only primary combatant seems sketchy at best.

jordan.k93
2014-08-26, 04:43 AM
UA Fighter Variant with sneak attack instead of feats?

Power Attack Sneak Attack with a Greataxe.

Sure it's not very powerful, but if your in a low optimised game what's the problem?

Harlot
2014-08-26, 04:57 AM
Cant see what level you're playing at.
I've just had lots of fun being a warlock with wings, which with the Eldrich Glaive is neat for melee as well.
-but admittedly the fun mostly starts after lvl. 5.

But that was D&D - are you doing Pathfinder? Isn't clear from the title ...

Raezeman
2014-08-26, 05:02 AM
i'm not that well informed about the tiers in pathfinder, but:

how about a melee oriented oracle? I like the stone mystery for that. 'stone stability' then gives you free trip without needing combat expertise or 13 INT. 'touch of acid' gives a nice +1d6 acid damage to you attacks at level 11. 'earth glide' can be very useful. But shard explosion i like the most, using it is a free action that does some damage and makes 10 feet around you difficult terrain for one round which can be used for some nice shenanigans.

Otherwise maybe the summoner, where it is not you, but your eidolon that will be doing the melee stuff.

Mari01
2014-08-26, 05:10 AM
Ah I figured the books would clarify. Its Pathfinder. The group is currently level 11-12. I believe they'll be leveling up soon, so I'll be joining at 12.

Mithril Leaf
2014-08-26, 05:48 AM
If you had Radiance House's offerings, I'd strongly recommend oracle, but since that's off the table, I'd second Summoner. It fits your criteria almost to a tee.