PDA

View Full Version : Healers and multiclassing

ambartanen
2014-08-26, 08:23 AM
So my party started out as a balanced group with a fighter, druid, bard, and warlock, the last one being played by me. Now the bard went and got himself murdered and the druid's player won't be able to make it to the next 4-5 sessions by which time we'll have hopefully completed the adventure and likely either make new characters, stop playing or have me become the GM. Now the bard's player is making a brand new rogue and we are getting a new player who, I hear, intends to play a wizard. That would leave the group without a healer and this has me a little worried and I decided to ask for some advice.

In 3.5e the lack of a good healer was a huge limitation to a group while in 4e they seemed to be a nice to have addition to the party but not strictly necessary. Does 5e fall somewhere in between? Can well will a group fare without any magical healing?

So I was already thinking of multiclassing and the bard and cleric were at the top of my list of choices. I can tie them both to my character's concept quite well but never intended to take more than a level or two in a different class. Would this be enough to provide some meaningful healing or is a single level just not enough to make a difference?

Finally, which healing class would provide the best synergy with a warlock? Bard seems good since warlock is one of the few classes that gives me nothing to use my bonus action on so I am free to inspire people as often as I need and I already have the relevant casting attribute. On the other hand, a life domain cleric can give me better healing (not by much though) and heavy armor proficiency. I'd just switch up my 16 dex and 12 wis to get a good spellcasting attribute.

Edit: So I wasn't sure whether I should combine the three questions in a single topic but the first two seemed pretty closely related and will likely make up the bulk of the discussion anyway.

EvilAnagram
2014-08-26, 08:53 AM
In 3.5e the lack of a good healer was a huge limitation to a group while in 4e they seemed to be a nice to have addition to the party but not strictly necessary. Does 5e fall somewhere in between? Can well will a group fare without any magical healing?
I would not recommend going in without a healer. Encounters can be very deadly, and a dungeon could be nearly impossible without one.

So I was already thinking of multiclassing and the bard and cleric were at the top of my list of choices. I can tie them both to my character's concept quite well but never intended to take more than a level or two in a different class. Would this be enough to provide some meaningful healing or is a single level just not enough to make a difference?
Sure. You can get good healing out of that. You'll be able to cast Cure Wounds from your higher level Warlock slots, so it won't be terrible, but there are some other juicy healing spells you'll be missing out on.

Finally, which healing class would provide the best synergy with a warlock? Bard seems good since warlock is one of the few classes that gives me nothing to use my bonus action on so I am free to inspire people as often as I need and I already have the relevant casting attribute. On the other hand, a life domain cleric can give me better healing (not by much though) and heavy armor proficiency. I'd just switch up my 16 dex and 12 wis to get a good spellcasting attribute.
It's usually considered cheating to switch your ability scores mid-game, so I would go with Bard. Their spells are Charisma-based, so they'll work together nicely.

obryn
2014-08-26, 08:54 AM
Back during the playtest and in all current play reports I've read, healing is pretty darn necessary.

Yorrin
2014-08-26, 08:59 AM
I'd go bard. Healers that MC Warlock have the joys of encounter-refreshing warlock spell slots to cast from, which makes resource management much easier. Bard has more synergy than most in this regard, since as you said warlock doesn't use bonus actions all that much. So you've got inspiration and eldritch blast for combat and cure wounds all day long outside of combat.

Demonic Spoon
2014-08-26, 09:03 AM
My opinion is that if RAW you need healing, you should houserule it such that it's playable anyway. I'm not a fan of making people play certain classes.

5e has some mechanics (primarily short rests) to allow for nonmagical out-of-combat healing. If a short rest is too long for that to be feasible in your games, you could houserule in a kind of "shortER rest" that takes 10-15 minutes and allows you to heal as a short rest, but not refresh your resources. Another option is to houserule in reusable nonmagical hitpoint healing via bandages or something of the sort.

EDIT: In fact, looking at the Medicine skill, I may do something like that for my own games regardless of the availability of magical healing.

BW022
2014-08-26, 01:53 PM
Having a healing class is not a requirement.

First, even if it is more challenging, you merely have to play more intelligently. Use more stealth, ambushes, scouting, etc. Avoid encounters which are likely too difficult. Make specific escape plans and run or lead people into traps. Make use of disguises, stealth, persuasion, bribery, etc. to bypass encounters. etc. I've had parties in 1E and 3.x without healing and sometimes having to play smart is more fun.

Second, short rests give back hit points and you always have the option of leaving and resting over night -- a long rest heals all hit points.

Third, besides resting you may have access to healing potions, scrolls, wands, and other magical items which can restore hit points. There are also certain class abilities.

Forth, invest heavily in defenses -- i.e. armour and shields. Take more time buffing with defensive spells to avoid taking damage.

Fifth, use ranged weapons -- even if non-optimal on your rogue/martial types. Use slowing/blocking spells (web, summoning, etc.) against any opponent which doesn't have ranged attacks. Avoid the desire to use your 'big abilities' (sneak attack, two weapon attacks, etc.) in exchange for 2 to 3 rounds of peppering them first.

Sixth, realize that healing will cost you big time. If you are a 5th-level warlock, taking a level of cleric will give you two 1st level cure wounds each day, plus two third level cures each rest. The 1d8+x healing from your first two 1st-level slots will become more and more useless at higher levels. Even at 5th, it likely isn't worth casting in combat. Using your warlock slots to cast cures allows 3d8+x, but each time you use your warlock slots you are giving up one of the only two spells you have. A fly, fear, blink, or fireball spell (or your misty escape or entropic ward you don't have at 6th) is likely to save you/your party more than 3d8+x damage. It also means that you have to go another level without further class abilities and higher level spells. If you keep using your two warlock slots... you'll end up with virtually no spells for yourself for defense or offense.

Seven, there are ways to get some healing without taking a level a spell casting class. Being able to make healing potions is one idea. Having someone take the magic initiate feat (4th, 8th, etc.) gives one cure spell per day.

Personally, I'd plan on simply accepting that you won't be able to combat heal. Focus on the class abilities in which are likely to prevent damage or kill the bad guys quicker and use planning to do so as efficiently as possible. However... if you must...

Bard is the only option if your wisdom is under 13. It is a good option because healing would add your charisma and the class ability (bardic inspiration) is a useful buff and usage based on charisma.

If you do have a 13 wisdom, then in most cases cleric would be the best route. You also get domains at first level which give bonuses immediately and can use shields. Gaining access to heavy armour is great if you have a reasonable strength and low dexterity. Life domain gives discipline of life for extra healing and domain spells (i.e. cure wounds) which saves you a preparation slot. Tempest is a second choice, which gives the ability to use martial weapons which can be useful for high strength warlocks without pact of the blade. Druid is likely a poor third choice, as its key abilities do not start until 2nd and 3rd levels. The no metal armour restriction limits you to poorer hide -- rather than medium or heavy armours which clerics get.

There is typically little reason to take more than one level in any healing class since you already have warlock slots to cast healing at high levels and levels in the class would seriously degrade your warlock abilities. The only exception would be if you see this campaign going to high levels and simply plan on continuing bard or cleric as your primary class. Say Cleric 10/Warlock 5. However, it is still likely six or seven levels where you are seriously underpowered and you'll never have the high level spells to really shine.