PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Baba Yaga's Hut -- Awe, yeah!

Dalebert
2014-08-26, 12:00 PM
My witch is only level 5 though my DM has expressed a desire to level us quickly due to his campaign plans. I'm so getting ahead of myself, but I'm already making plans for my own Baba Yaga's Hut via Witch's Hut (http://www.pathfindersrd.com/classes/base-classes/witch/hexes/grand-hexes/hex-grand-witchs-hut-su) and Create Demiplane (http://www.pathfindersrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/create-demiplane), Greater.

Can you make a portal tied to a certain location within something that moves, like a witch's hut or a ship?

As I understand it, you can add effects to a demiplane by recasting the spell and these presumably last for as long as the plane does (the effect is described as instantaneous). It only takes a permanency for the plane itself and any castings to make it larger. Correct? So if I want twice the area, I have to cast the spell twice and cast permanency each time (presumably from a scroll since witches don't get it, pfft!)

What sorts of things would you do to make this more useful or for security?

Alleran
2014-08-26, 12:33 PM
My witch is only level 5 though my DM has expressed a desire to level us quickly due to his campaign plans. I'm so getting ahead of myself, but I'm already making plans for my own Baba Yaga's Hut via Witch's Hut (http://www.pathfindersrd.com/classes/base-classes/witch/hexes/grand-hexes/hex-grand-witchs-hut-su) and Create Demiplane (http://www.pathfindersrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/create-demiplane), Greater.

Can you make a portal tied to a certain location within something that moves, like a witch's hut or a ship?
As far as RAW is concerned, I'm not completely sure. The Skull & Shackles guide specifies that the entrance created by a magnificent mansion (and similar spells) does not move with a ship. However, the wording in the Portal section of the create greater demiplane spell specifies that it can be "secured" using normal means, such as building a door around it. So if you build a door around it that happens to be on a ship, which then moves, presumably the portal moves with the door which moves with the ship.

But have you looked at the Reign of Winter AP? Because (very slight spoilers for the AP):

At the end, the players can ask for a boon from Baba Yaga. One of which is:

"The Dancing Hut: Baba Yaga will not give the PCs her own Dancing Hut, but she is willing to give them a lesser version, which takes the form of a permanent version of the witch's hut grand hex. Expanding the hut or giving it additional abilities is up to the PCs. Create demiplane spells can be used to permanently expand or personalise their new hut."

Clearly the intent, at least with the hut that Baba Yaga provides to the PCs, is that spells to create or expand demiplanes can indeed affect the interior and provide enclosed demiplanes in exactly the fashion that you're looking for. Baba Yaga's hut is slightly different, of course, since she created it with a combination of the grand hex and the sanctum mythic ability, but the basic principle should really be the same, and she's not using her own sanctum (basically the seed that she built her hut around) as the core of the hut she can potentially give to the PCs. They've been given the hut as the seed already.
To me it would be relatively trivial, though not RAW (obviously), to expand the spoilered capability out to a self-created witch's hut via the grand hex, though I might attach the requirement that the initial demiplane within the hut be created via wish (carefully worded) or miracle.

Elkad
2014-08-26, 12:57 PM
Don't forget to make it a tesseract inside
(see Dragon #83)

Barstro
2014-08-26, 01:22 PM
As I recall, you chose an archetype that already is short on Hexes. Using one of your precious few on Witch's Hut seems silly, as does allowing there to be a permanent entrance to your Demiplane. Witch's Huts are not infallible, and if someone gets access to your hut, that person also now gets access to your plane.

If you DO want such a thing, you will still need to cast Create Demiplane every day/lvl twice (once to create, once to add the Gate). Unless, of course, you get someone to use Permanency.

BTW, Gate spell, which is referenced by Create Demiplane, is silent on if the Gate is anchored anywhere. Great fodder for GM fiat. I'd let it be a "window" like Morrolan e'Drien's.

Dalebert
2014-08-26, 02:52 PM
As I recall, you chose an archetype that already is short on Hexes.

Yes, but it doesn't affect major or grand hexes.

If you DO want such a thing, you will still need to cast Create Demiplane every day/lvl twice (once to create, once to add the Gate). Unless, of course, you get someone to use Permanency.

That's now how I'm reading it. Such castings have a duration of instantaneous meaning they alter the plane and stick around for as long as the plane does. That's one thing I asked for clarification on though. It appears to me that I would only have to recast once per X days to renew the duration (or cast permanency once with a scroll). The changes that are added on shouldn't require renewal.

Slithery D
2014-08-26, 04:35 PM
That's now how I'm reading it. Such castings have a duration of instantaneous meaning they alter the plane and stick around for as long as the plane does. That's one thing I asked for clarification on though. It appears to me that I would only have to recast once per X days to renew the duration (or cast permanency once with a scroll). The changes that are added on shouldn't require renewal.

You're correct. Planar traits changes instantaneously modify the existing demiplane, which keeps its ordinary (possibly permanent!) duration.

Dalebert
2014-08-26, 08:38 PM
As I recall, you chose an archetype that already is short on Hexes. Using one of your precious few on Witch's Hut seems silly, as does allowing there to be a permanent entrance to your Demiplane. Witch's Huts are not infallible, and if someone gets access to your hut, that person also now gets access to your plane.

I'm not that impressed with the grand hexes. The only real competition for Witch's Hut to me is Abominate. At 20, I could have both. It will be a bit of a tough decision picking which one will come first.

As for having an opening, yes, I realize that it's less secure but it's more convenient and it's just cool to have a hut that's bigger on the inside than the outside and that moves around at your command. I can enter and leave at my convenience and bring the portal with me without need plane shift every time I want to go or come back.

I didn't start off wanting a demiplane. That just seemed like the means to the end of making my hut bigger on the inside.

Barstro
2014-08-26, 08:50 PM
Abominate does look interesting.

Allow me to suggest Summon Spirit. It gives you access to EVERY spell; just call forth the correct spirit.

Dalebert
2014-08-26, 09:19 PM
Allow me to suggest Summon Spirit. It gives you access to EVERY spell; just call forth the correct spirit.

It just seemed... complicated and tedious to use. It didn't seem like a hex I would use frequently (it would get expensive) which made it less appealing. But "access to every spell" does give me pause. I'll give that some thought. I'll also have to ask my DM. He's just the type to have the spirit demand extra for casting spells on my behalf or something. He doesn't like any notion of getting stuph for free. He's already said as much as far as using leadership and getting a wizard follower to make magic items. He's said I'd at best get a discount but definitely not at cost.