PDA

View Full Version : [EMPIRE] [SECRET] Prince(ss) Buttercup's Plot (Ongoing Communication)

SamBurke
2014-08-26, 12:36 PM
Buttercup strides through the streets Xianzhi Urbe with a passion. She'd made Prince just a half a year ago, and she knew already that that destiny was to be her rising star. Think of the possibilities of trade: she'd already had connections made in Grmanhil's glass markets, and cornered a lucrative steady shipment of Cana and Cocoa beans. Now, she had other plans... what about the Triumverate? They traded and exported like no one else, and that meant opportunity.

And opportunity, of course, meant profit.

She found the back room of the seedy tavern that her sources had scouted out. Not the most glamorous place for a new Prince, but she couldn't forget her roots. Now where were those delegates?

QuintonBeck
2014-08-26, 01:00 PM
Malyn Shaeldtae, son of the former Triumvirate Speaker Aluic Shaeldtae and himself the current Minister of Commerce within the Triumviral Reserve had been waiting at the bar for the Guilderene Merchant Prince to arrive and noted her quietly. Though nearly twice the young Buttercup's age he was dressed well and his wealth lent well to maintaining a youthful and attractive appearance. His dark skin was still firm and he was of a thicker form than his father, a slight bulging around his middle counteracted by broad shoulders that made him seem a fearsome man of arms.

He was not much of a swordsman though, his true talent lay in managing the finances and accounts of the Reserve and seeking out business ventures and opportunities for the Triad Council. The recent advent of mathematical acuity in the Triumvirate has only seen a boon to the already powerful and hemisphere dominating Reserve and when word reached him of a Merchant Prince of Guilder seeking aid from the Triumvirate's great economic system he had insisted on meeting with the young woman himself.

Guilder was a long time friend and ally to the Triumvirate, but the recent years, their involvement in two foreign wars and their growing ties with the slaving nations of Tzalteclan and the Glazfell had made many in the Triumvirate nervous. Malyn himself identified strongly with the Reformists on their economic views but his own thoughts on the validity or morality of slavery had up until this assignment been largely only the quiet concerns of the back of his mind. He still didn't know with certainty his own opinions, but the Senate Speaker Nia-Rohana had requested he negotiate with the Prince with the point in mind that the Triumvirate denounced slavery in all its forms and with concern over the lives of every sentient being.

He took one last drink from his Niskovian mixed drink, a sugary vodka drink the locals called Xiansi, and made his way to the room the Guilderene Prince had gone into and sat down across from the young woman.

"Merchant Prince Buttercup?"

SamBurke
2014-08-26, 02:23 PM
She nods demurely before flashing a greedy smile. "Let's not be too hasty on the names, not here in public. Perhaps it would be better to just go by handles. Can't be certain if there are spies as talented as Hathran Tuor's lurking about." A coy wink, and she points to a quieter table, almost hidden from view by the distinct lack of lanterns nearby.

Buttercup sits down, and lays out a parchment. "I have placed my hands on new shipments of Guilder's newest domestication: tyranids. Besides that, I have access to an entire outback full of wild lacertals, perfect for meat or leather... But I believe that you have other desires, perhaps more political in nature?"

QuintonBeck
2014-08-26, 09:28 PM
"I was under the impression there was nothing illegal happening here," the Minister responded, though he was being much quieter now.

"Before I discuss the Triad Council's desires perhaps I might better know yours, or at the least, hear it from your own mouth so that I might assess whether investing in you would even make a wise choice for the Reserve. Here is what I know, your nation of Guilder is run by the richest Merchant Prince, who is recognized, confirmed, and appointed by the Committee of Commerce. Generally this has been the family line of Tumberink, through his son Humperdink, his son Inigo, and so on as the nearest families to qualify for Dogeship sit on the Committee, itself barred from appointing a member of its own body. Correct?"

"You however are a recognized Merchant Prince who does not sit on the Committee and desires Dogeship, but without being on the Committee it would be impossible to lead as great a cause as those on the Committee or the line of Doges do to benefit themselves and line their own pockets and insure their place. Correct?"

"You have then come to the Triumvirate, the most powerful banking and trade nation in the northern hemisphere to discuss an investment by our Reserve in the potential of your Dogeship under the understanding that the Triumvirate will need to know its potential return on investment and willing to make compromises in such regards. Is that correct?"

"I do apologize for all this, but in this particular line of work it pays to be clear and exacting with ones clients and contracts." Malyn looked apologetic but not remorseful for his pedantic line of questioning.

SamBurke
2014-08-26, 09:54 PM
"There are shades of morality, good Minister... assassins are legal, in some ways, but most certainly frowned upon. Or, alternately, illegal, but still used. Just remember that you're paying for a service, here, not installing a puppet." She twirls her hair around one long, wicked-sharp nail, and stops abruptly. "If you think you will have a puppet in Guilder, you are sadly mistaken sir, and you would realize that error most... quickly." She made one quick slice with the nail, and a lock of hair fell to the table.

"Now that you understand Guilder's situation, and my caveat, we may turn to business. I do wish to succeed to the Dogeship, which requires an extraordinary amount of revenue... more than even your Reserve would dream of spending. So you can't simply back me into power. It is more a game of strategic investments... over the long term. That said, you know my success. I began on the streets of Veniccia with the clothes on my back and five golden doubloons, fresh won from the pocket of a water-weary sailor. I am now commander of a fleet of dozens of ships, sailing the canals and every part of the known world. It is this growth and this... aggressive negotiating that I promise to bring to the table."

"So, to be clear: I am willing to recognize the benefits of your... patronage, in terms of policy changes and priority trades. In return, I will be invested in to pursue the seat that Inigo has so recently vacated..." She grins and winks. "Such a sad and unforeseen disaster... though they say that it could have been foul play. I doubt it is, but still.

"It's always better to look to a leader with more of a future than a rotting prisoner, wouldn't you agree?"

QuintonBeck
2014-08-26, 10:35 PM
"A puppet is a lot of work Madame Buttercup, the Triumvirate cannot afford to play the game of governmental minutiae in both its own land and Guilder. You may not be aware, but the Triumvirate has looked at many other potential clients before choosing to pursue you. What you speak of is what has made you the most desirable candidate, a willingness to make deals and take risks and to lead without being told what to do."

"Of course, that drive can be just as dangerous as it can be advantageous," he paused, "Before I make any negotiations on the part of the Triad Council or the Reserve I would like to ask you some personal questions, and please, answer honestly."

"What are your opinions on the wars Inigo has involved Guilder in in the last 10 years? To clarify that is to say aiding the Priory in Salteire and sailing across the world to aid Ri Chugang defend foreign City-States unknown to the greater international world."

SamBurke
2014-08-30, 05:30 PM
Completely forgot about this thread, sorry.

Buttercup frowned for a moment, considering her words carefully. "The Salteirre matter was certainly unprofitable. It lost allies and endangered Guilderene policy without any clear gain. No reason for that.

"On the other hand, I could see an argument for defending the city-states. I believe Inigo's plan was to begin building up allies for himself, starting them small but allowing them to grow. There's an old proverb that says, "A tree worthy of a mast can only grow from a planted tree." Besides that, he was probably angling to obtain some of the new weapons that I've heard tale of out west. On the other hand, it's uncertain how much of a danger the city-states are, so he may very well have taken far too much of a risk. I just can't know.

"I can know my general strategy, which may perhaps answer your underlying fear. I believe that Guilder is based on relationships. My relationship to you and your Reserve is what will catapult me to power. My relationship to various tribes and figures in the far East is what granted me the title of Prince, and brought me to your attention. Even before that, my relationship to various ship owners is what allowed me to travel and trade even earlier. So building up relationships with new nations, building opportunities is always going to be valuable... in balance. It's a balance of risk and reward, is all."

QuintonBeck
2014-08-30, 05:45 PM
I was starting to wonder haha No worries.

"Hmm," Malyn nodded solemnly.

The Merchant Prince was likely unaware but the Minister had received some cursory Mtambuzi training at the Enclave and was locking away each syllable of this meeting in a sectioned off portion of his mind for his report to the Council. Bureaucracy thrived in the advances the osuro techniques allowed the mind to accomplish.

"And what are your opinions on the slavery practiced by your northern and southern neighbors the Glazfelli and Tzaltec both? What of Guilder's relationship with these countries? It is the Triumvirate's understanding Inigo has made large steps towards bringing Guilder closer with these nations, are these relationships you would preserve as well?"

SamBurke
2014-08-30, 06:12 PM
I was starting to wonder haha No worries.

"Hmm," Malyn nodded solemnly.

The Merchant Prince was likely unaware but the Minister had received some cursory Mtambuzi training at the Enclave and was locking away each syllable of this meeting in a sectioned off portion of his mind for his report to the Council. Bureaucracy thrived in the advances the osuro techniques allowed the mind to accomplish.

"And what are your opinions on the slavery practiced by your northern and southern neighbors the Glazfelli and Tzaltec both? What of Guilder's relationship with these countries? It is the Triumvirate's understanding Inigo has made large steps towards bringing Guilder closer with these nations, are these relationships you would preserve as well?"
Another moment of pause. "They are certainly a useful nation for many purposes, despite their international reputation. That said, Guilder can certainly enforce a travel-around policy, requesting that they not transport any slaves through our lands. More than that it is dangerous to ask... forcing someone to destroy their trade is a good excuse for war.

"As for Glazfell, there's very little objectionable about them, other than perhaps their obsession with the cold, or excessive strangeness. So yes, under my Dogeship, they would still be allies."

QuintonBeck
2014-08-30, 06:23 PM
"Perhaps the Glazzfell do not hunt down and enslave sentient creatures themselves but they are the only nation to deal in the trade the Tzaltec promote. To block the Tzaltec is to block the Glazfell as well."

"To clarify, Guilder's lands include the strait shared with Serendel at Maos and Selyra do they not?" Malyrn asked, calling up an image of the maps he had imprinted during his Mtambuzi training.

SamBurke
2014-08-30, 06:32 PM
"Perhaps the Glazzfell do not hunt down and enslave sentient creatures themselves but they are the only nation to deal in the trade the Tzaltec promote. To block the Tzaltec is to block the Glazfell as well."

"To clarify, Guilder's lands include the strait shared with Serendel at Maos and Selyra do they not?" Malyrn asked, calling up an image of the maps he had imprinted during his Mtambuzi training.

Buttercup raises her eyebrows. "Very good! Few people seem to remember that fact, in part because it has never yet been important.

"But yes, I would do my best to make public an official Guilderene policy against the slave trade. I hope you understand if all *other* items from Tzaltecan would be allowed through, however."

QuintonBeck
2014-08-30, 07:04 PM
"Of course, we take no issue with the standard trades acceptable among all nations, just the ones that strip sentients of their dignity and rightful freedoms," Malyn paused, reigning in his own views, "If you vow to support Triumviral interests in the east, not least of which will be the working towards the eradication of the slave trade through practice of embargo and blockade then I shall believe we can arrange the Reserve's support of your ascendance to the Dogeship."

He smiled ever so slightly, the first sign of emotion to cross his face, "I believe it is custom in Guilder to solidify a promise of the future with a deal in the present is it not? Let us then break bread and allow both yours and myself to return to our countries richer and smarter then when we left."

He pulled a sheaf of documents from a travel pack leaning against his chair.

"These are the fundamental theorems and workings of Calculus as worked out by our Mtambuzi, it is my understanding that Guilder has the schematics for machines beneficial in the construction of grand buildings?" he let the question hang in the air while his hand rested on the sheets of Jarrland Papyrus.

SamBurke
2014-08-31, 02:40 PM
"Ahhhh! You have studied much of our tradition, have you not?" She smiles and adds her name to the contract. While this calculus of arithmetic did her no direct benefit that she could see, the Institute could probably make it useful.

QuintonBeck
2014-09-04, 12:49 PM
"Then it is done, I shall carry our contract and the designs for efficient building to the Triad Council and the Reserve and see it carried through, may we next meet on wealthier terms," Malyn bowed his head and rose to leave.

SamBurke
2014-09-04, 07:14 PM
"Then it is done, I shall carry our contract and the designs for efficient building to the Triad Council and the Reserve and see it carried through, may we next meet on wealthier terms," Malyn bowed his head and rose to leave.

Buttercup bows as well, and exits the building stealthily, doing her best to blend into the crowd.

As she makes her way back to the delegation, she sees quite an uproar. Vizini is doing his best Tumberink Impression and ruining things, as usual. That child... she'd need to get rid of him first, wouldn't she?