PDA

View Full Version : Feat for a Wizard

Vash9177
2014-08-26, 04:17 PM
So my sorcerer got killed and my friends cleric also built the dust. So we decided that we are going to make a pair of twins for our replacements. We are using the variant Human, he is going tempest cleric and I was looking to make an adjurer wizard for kinda a sword and shield theme.

So with that what would be a good feat to pick up at 1st level, we are coming into the game at level 3?

Human Paragon 3
2014-08-26, 04:19 PM
1) Are you proficient with the sword and shield?
2) Warcaster would be good if you intend to fight on the front line. Or resilient, and select Con saves.

Vash9177
2014-08-26, 04:28 PM
I think as a wizard I only get simple weapons and no armor. I will probably take mage armor as a spell though. Resilient does seem nice for con saves but I wasn't sure if it would be better to have that or something to increase ac.

Do many abjuration spells require concentration? That may put warcaster as a more important feat if they do.

ambartanen
2014-08-26, 04:52 PM
Do many abjuration spells require concentration? That may put warcaster as a more important feat if they do.

Not that many but Mage Armor does. It also uses up at least one of your two daily spells or all of them if you happen to get into two fights in the same day. If you want to wade into melee, the draconic sorcerer seems like a much better choice to me but I haven't spent too long looking through the wizard so I might be missing some important perks.

Edit: Oh, right, feat. Well there are three that give you +1 intelligence but their side benefits vary from utterly useless (Resilient) through extremely situational (Keen Mind) to nice but nothing to write home about (Linguist). If you want to use weapon and shield though (not sure how you intend to pull that off as a wizard?), War Caster is kind of a must.

Arzanyos
2014-08-26, 04:54 PM
No, Mage Armor doesn't. Lokiare has pointed that out several dozen times.

ambartanen
2014-08-26, 05:01 PM
No, Mage Armor doesn't. Lokiare has pointed that out several dozen times.

I have no idea who that is but it seems the spell spreadsheet misled me. Then that only leaves Protection from Evil and Protection from Energy to worry about at lower levels.

archaeo
2014-08-26, 05:11 PM
For this character concept, why not go Fighter 2/Wizard 1, with the plan to take School of Abjuration at level 4? War Caster would be an ideal feat here. Fighter 2 gives you a fighting stance, action surge, second wind, and the weapon/shield proficiency you want. Heavy armor's a bonus. At level 4, I'd take the +2 Int rather than another feat, though I'd be tempted by Alert, which could let you get the drop on enemies with your spells.

If you're wedded to Wizard 3, consider starting with Lucky and preparing Shield and Blur for maximum RNG friendliness. Getting shield and sword proficiency as a Wizard is tough, however. Unless, of course, you mean that the Wizard twin is going to act as a metaphorical "shield" while the Cleric twin is a "sword," in which case, no worries. Then, just be an abjurations bro. School of Abjuration's Arcane Ward ability will add even more durability, to the point where maybe Lucky would be better used on a more defensive feat, like Resilient. If going with Resilient, consider putting an odd score in Con so you get a free proficiency bonus; assuming standard array, put your points in Int (Human +1 for 16, +3 mod) and Con (14, Human +1 and Resilient for 16, +3 mod). You'll pump Int to 20 by level 8, giving you two more feats to play toward over the next 12 levels (Alert and War Caster seem like the ideal choices for this kind of bro).

Caelic
2014-08-26, 05:20 PM
War Caster is pretty important. A lot of buff spells require concentration; blowing the Concentration roll for your Water Breathing spell when you get bitten by a giant crab would be a bad thing.

archaeo
2014-08-26, 05:37 PM
War Caster is pretty important. A lot of buff spells require concentration; blowing the Concentration roll for your Water Breathing spell when you get bitten by a giant crab would be a bad thing.

I don't know, War Caster definitely seems aimed more at casters who'll be on the front lines with a weapon in hand; it seems like you'd be better off bumping up your Con with Resilient, gaining proficiency and probably a +3 con mod, as a Wizard who plans on staying out of the fray.

Resilient + War Caster will be popular though, since you'll be able to get both that +3 and advantage every time. Of course, this assumes that you're relying on a lot of concentration spells; Water Breathing is not an example of such a spell.