PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Mearls Interview on EN World

archaeo
2014-08-26, 04:21 PM
EN World's Michael Evans interviewed Mearls at GenCon (http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?1866-30-Minute-With-D-D-5E-s-Mike-Mearls-Playtests-OSR-Piracy-PDFS-Settings), and while Mearls has been basically talking to anyone that will listen to him about 5e, he drops some interesting tidbits here that I haven't seen him trot out very often lately.

First, he covers 5e development, spending a lot of time comparing 4e development to the current edition. In his view, 4e was an attempt to get ahead of the curve but created what he calls "discontinuity," especially for gamers who dip into editions instead of following each publication. His admission that 4e would've likely been more successful as a side product than a main D&D entry is very interesting, given that it echoes a pretty common thread in the more moderate edition war arguments.

He ends that first question talking about exploring disruptive rules in D&D offshoots. In my mind, this only strengthens my opinion that Mearls will seek to address "the 4e playstyle," if not in the DMG then in future rules supplements or separate products. Sell a "core" D&D that keeps all the sacred cows on life support while creating a sense of "continuity" for the big market seeking iconic D&D while allowing the enthusiast players who need robust balance and tight game design to create exactly the tools they need via supplemental and optional rules. A goal we have to wait and see if they can achieve, but hey.

Mearls also addresses piracy and PDFs in a funny way, talking about his own piracy of early Ultima games and sort of admitting that scans will always be out there. His basic point -- sell a beautiful quality product and accept that piracy happens -- seems like a fundamentally decent and realistic one. He also talks a bit about 5e's digital future, more or less saying "we're still figuring it out." But, he says:

Because we asked that it be iOS, Android, PC, so maybe you can just download the app and then buy the say Fighter packet and however we’re breaking it down, so are we really going to need to sell a separate PDF because actually the best way is to buy the tool, and the tool is also populating my database and I can make characters, then maybe I just don’t necessarily need the PDF.

While he says they basically are waiting to see what Trapdoor does before they start releasing any of their own digital stuff (outside Basic, of course), I think this is a pretty clear indication that the app store model I've been talking about is for sure the wave of the future. It also looks like, for the time being, digital is going to be via DungeonScape. Initial reviews seem nice; I think it remains to be seen how it pans out. (Worries about proprietary ebook formats and whatnot strike me as wholly specious; the Internet doesn't forget things, and if WotC/Trapdoor abandons its customers like that, any diehard 5e players will find that content elsewhere.) Mearls also talks about ancillary digital tools a bit, and there's a certain suggestion that WotC will just be looking to fill the holes in Trapdoor's coverage.

(Worth pointing out: Mearls' earlier L&L on the OGL and fan-created content (http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/gazing-crystal-ball) hints at stuff we still haven't really seen him tease out since. Not here, not anywhere.)

Which sort of brings us to the final big point, in which Mearls says that WotC will "just focus on the Core Rules, on the product line, and on the digital tools, and make sure that they all work together. But then we can rely on those outside studios to bring their own real specialty to the table." It's worth reading the rest of it, but to me, this definitely sounds like a third party model where WotC doesn't bother with a general license and instead prefers direct partnerships. For those concerned about a lack of rules development, this sure seems to suggest that WotC wants to focus on rules while letting select studios have the keys to the kingdom otherwise.

But I don't know. It's still just Mearls talking as fast as he can. In my opinion, whatever he's saying, it should be abundantly clear that he definitely means well. No matter what your stance, I think you have to respect the fact that Mearls really has given these issues a lot of thought, and has sought to do his best to do right by D&D fans.

TL;DR: Mearls gave an interview, it was okay.

Person_Man
2014-08-26, 04:40 PM
I think your take on the article is correct.

Related to this article, I predicted a while back that there isn't going to be an OGL or anything close to it for 5E, and this article provides further evidence to support that assertion.

Instead, they'll have direct licenses with people who are willing to pay them for the privilege of using the D&D brand (give us X% of your profits and don't publish anything offensive, and you can officially publish for 5E and be a part of our digital distribution sales platform, whatever that ends up being).

This choice means that many (most?) serious 3rd party competitors (Paizo, Monte Cook, Green Ronin, Evil Hat, etc) will choose to have their own similar but somewhat different competing RPGs, instead of just publishing supplements to support 5E D&D.

Also, it seems like there will probably be a niche demand for a 4E style D&D game, that caters directly to those players who loved 4E and want a company to support it with new content. (Message to myself, ask son to grow up faster so that I can spend more time writing).

I'm not sure what the long term result of that will be, but its clear that the dominance that D&D enjoyed during the 3.0/3.5 OGL era is probably not coming back.

Theodoxus
2014-08-26, 04:43 PM
DungeonScape, so far, looks Amazing. I am saddened that they are either purposefully lying about their competition, or legitimately didn't look out into the webscape and see the competition already there - but I'm hoping, for instance, Hero Labs and Lone Wolf Development see the proposed integration of modules into DungeonScape and take a similar leap with PF (which I'm primarily using it for) and others.

The question regarding how modular and expensive it'll end up though... doing per class modularity (and presumably race, but hopefully not) is quite the minutia.. and again, hopefully bundled. Some classes I'm not interested today, but that could change tomorrow. Paying an extra $1.50 or $5 or whatever pricing plan for offline access has to be worth it.

Then there's the general subscription plan and what it offers... of course, all these are not MM questions, but Trapdoor... sorry for the tangent :(

archaeo
2014-08-26, 05:24 PM
This choice means that many (most?) serious 3rd party competitors (Paizo, Monte Cook, Green Ronin, Evil Hat, etc) will choose to have their own similar but somewhat different competing RPGs, instead of just publishing supplements to support 5E D&D.

I mean, were those third party competitors ever really going to come back to WotC? The ones you named, certainly, have no reason currently to jump back into the bandwagon. I sincerely doubt Paizo or Monte Cook would be publishing D&D 5e materials even if the license was more open, at least.

DungeonScape, so far, looks Amazing. I am saddened that they are either purposefully lying about their competition, or legitimately didn't look out into the webscape and see the competition already there - but I'm hoping, for instance, Hero Labs and Lone Wolf Development see the proposed integration of modules into DungeonScape and take a similar leap with PF (which I'm primarily using it for) and others.

Lying? From everything I've seen, Trapdoor and WotC alike have been pretty forthright about the fact that they're not trying to compete with HeroLabs and the like for the VTT market, instead opting for digital tools to be used at real life tables or with Skype. The Theater-of-the-Mind stance of the PHB, at least, removes the need for a lot of the VTT tools; maybe a future version of the program will add some grid stuff for players who want/need it.

MeeposFire
2014-08-26, 05:36 PM
I mean, were those third party competitors ever really going to come back to WotC? The ones you named, certainly, have no reason currently to jump back into the bandwagon. I sincerely doubt Paizo or Monte Cook would be publishing D&D 5e materials even if the license was more open, at least.

Lying? From everything I've seen, Trapdoor and WotC alike have been pretty forthright about the fact that they're not trying to compete with HeroLabs and the like for the VTT market, instead opting for digital tools to be used at real life tables or with Skype. The Theater-of-the-Mind stance of the PHB, at least, removes the need for a lot of the VTT tools; maybe a future version of the program will add some grid stuff for players who want/need it.

I would be ok keeping Paizo and Monte Cook away from D&D. Granted I would be happy to see Dreamscarred Press (the group that does things like psionics) do that sort of work. I find their quality to be a bit better.

Digital tools still don't excite me. Even in 4e I still liked using books and playing in person. Digital content and playing online just never seems as fun to me. However I did find the character builder useful (particularly the original one) and I don't have a problem using a computer for my character sheet so I don't have to erase/scribble on a real one.

DiBastet
2014-08-26, 05:56 PM
Granted I would be happy to see Dreamscarred Press (the group that does things like psionics) do that sort of work.

And the guy who did other, and in my opinion better, pact magic book. Radiance House was the name, right?

eastmabl
2014-08-26, 08:13 PM

I would presume that many publishers would be interested in printing 5e-specific adventurers with 5e monster stats and with the approval of the world's greatest roleplaying game if they didn't have to pony up a sizable percentage of their revenues to D&D.

huttj509
2014-08-26, 09:01 PM
I would presume that many publishers would be interested in printing 5e-specific adventurers with 5e monster stats and with the approval of the world's greatest roleplaying game if they didn't have to pony up a sizable percentage of their revenues to D&D.

Do we know what the fees/criteria are?

Person_Man
2014-08-27, 01:44 PM
Do we know what the fees/criteria are?

Not publicly. Just speaking from a business perspective, I'm guessing it will probably include an up front fee of some sort (to ensure that it's a serious offering and not just some random homebrew and to cover the costs of someone reviewing it to ensure its not offensive or infringing upon stuff they want to publish) plus a % of gross sales from their online store, and probably a requirement that all sales for the first X years be made from their online store (and/or other similar arrangements, such as an official WotC storefront on Amazon) so that they can track sales and get their %.

Obviously the exact numbers matter a lot. $500 and 5% would be a relatively low barrier that would encourage a lot of third party publishers and polished homebrew. $5,000 and 30% would keep almost everyone that's not an established firm from participating.