PDA

View Full Version : Multiclassing a Martial character

MustacheFart
2014-08-26, 04:54 PM
I've seen/read bits of info from people here and there across threads but not seen a thread for this question in particular. Forgive me if there is one.

Has anyone had a difficult time with multi-classing a martial class (barbarian, fighter, etc)? With every level spent in another class that's a level ability boosts/feats and extra attacks are pushed back. How important are they at the early levels?

Just curious if anyone else has dabbled with the multiclassing in an actual game yet. It may be too early to ask this question.

Sharogy
2014-08-27, 06:03 AM
I've seen/read bits of info from people here and there across threads but not seen a thread for this question in particular. Forgive me if there is one.

Has anyone had a difficult time with multi-classing a martial class (barbarian, fighter, etc)? With every level spent in another class that's a level ability boosts/feats and extra attacks are pushed back. How important are they at the early levels?

Just curious if anyone else has dabbled with the multiclassing in an actual game yet. It may be too early to ask this question.

It is about what you are willing to give up and what your party can do.

Even though GWM on a fighter can probably dish out the most burst dmg, but fighter has no actual way of consistantly gaining advantage to compensate for the hit rate. depends how your party is set up and how often they can provide you with advantage.

A multiclass into barbarian for 4 levels, sacrificing 1 extra attack for rage attacks, and garanteed bonus action attack + physical resist, and always advantage on all your attacks can be worth the trade.

As Monk you have the choice to multiclass 1 level or 4 level into a caster. for the first option, you lose only the lvl 20 capstone which is arguably very weak. in return you gain 2 level scalling-cantrips you can spam at range, covering his non-existant range options. combined with his superior movement, he can probably kite any melee enemy in the game??

For the second options you trade more and you gain more as well, obv.

MustacheFart
2014-08-27, 11:49 AM

Even though GWM on a fighter can probably dish out the most burst dmg, but fighter has no actual way of consistantly gaining advantage to compensate for the hit rate. depends how your party is set up and how often they can provide you with advantage.

A multiclass into barbarian for 4 levels, sacrificing 1 extra attack for rage attacks, and garanteed bonus action attack + physical resist, and always advantage on all your attacks can be worth the trade.

As Monk you have the choice to multiclass 1 level or 4 level into a caster. for the first option, you lose only the lvl 20 capstone which is arguably very weak. in return you gain 2 level scalling-cantrips you can spam at range, covering his non-existant range options. combined with his superior movement, he can probably kite any melee enemy in the game??

Interesting... Thanks for the information. What would the 2 level scalling-cantrips be?

Cute_Riolu
2014-08-27, 01:04 PM

As far as monk multiclass goes, a character in one of my games is planning to go Rogue 3 (possibly 4)/Monk xxx so they get the autocrit from the assassin archetype -- it applies on all attacks made in the first round, not just the first attack, so being able to double damage on four attacks is pretty nice. He's mentioned he may even dip into fighter for action surge to get 8 attacks a round, once a day. I doubt there's any non-legendary mob that can survive eight advantaged attacks at critical damage.

Demonic Spoon
2014-08-27, 01:07 PM
Interesting... Thanks for the information. What would the 2 level scalling-cantrips be?

All damage cantrips scale based on your character level. He is saying specifically that you could pick two of them.

obryn
2014-08-27, 01:10 PM
It seems like multiclassing a caster is less punitive than multiclassing a non-caster.

Casters still get a spell progression. They might lose out on higher-level spells, but that's a lot less of an issue when you can push lower-level spells to higher-level effects.

On the other hand, ability boosts, feats, extra attacks, etc., are all simply delayed for non-casters.

Demonic Spoon
2014-08-27, 01:17 PM
It seems like multiclassing a caster is less punitive than multiclassing a non-caster.

Casters still get a spell progression. They might lose out on higher-level spells, but that's a lot less of an issue when you can push lower-level spells to higher-level effects.

On the other hand, ability boosts, feats, extra attacks, etc., are all simply delayed for non-casters.

Ability boosts and feats are still important and still delayed for casters.

Casters only get their spell progression if they multiclass with other casters.

Martial characters may need to be very cautious with how they multiclass pre-level 5 since delaying that extra attack is a big deal. However, afterwards, only the fighter gets more extra attacks anyway, and some of the class features can synergize pretty well...WotS monk and <insert rogue subclass here> are a good example.

Yagyujubei
2014-08-27, 01:51 PM
As far as monk multiclass goes, a character in one of my games is planning to go Rogue 3 (possibly 4)/Monk xxx so they get the autocrit from the assassin archetype -- it applies on all attacks made in the first round, not just the first attack, so being able to double damage on four attacks is pretty nice. He's mentioned he may even dip into fighter for action surge to get 8 attacks a round, once a day. I doubt there's any non-legendary mob that can survive eight advantaged attacks at critical damage.

Keep in mind it DOES have to be a surprise round for auto crit though. there are easy ways for this to happen but still.

Cute_Riolu
2014-08-27, 03:30 PM
Keep in mind it DOES have to be a surprise round for auto crit though. there are easy ways for this to happen but still.

Yeah, the DM's pretty lenient on that, though. I mean, we're in a losing war doing guerilla warfare. Nearly every battle so far has opened with surprise round. :P

Shadow
2014-08-30, 12:26 AM
In regards to the monk's "non-existant" ranged options:
Monks are proficient with simple weapons. It doesn't say simple melee weapons, it says simple weapons.
Light crossbows, darts, short bows and slings are all simple weapons
Let's use a short bow for the example, as it's the middle of the road of those on damage capabilities.
You probably have a decent Dex. It may even be your highest stat. If it is your highest stat, then it will continue to grow. I haven't seen any magic items yet, but if +6 stat items come into play as is traditionally acceptable, then 26 is reasonable for later. 1d6+8= average 11.5, with extra attack making that an average of 23, which is comparable to fire bolt's scaling 4d10 averaging 22. And that's one of the more powerful cantrips. Many of the others are worse.
So a Dex based monk's "non-existant" ranged options already rival or exceed the option that you multiclassed to get. And now that finesse weapons (which for a monk is every simple melee weapon without the two handed or heavy qualities, meaning q-staff and spear can be finessed by a monk) uses Dex to both attack and damage, there's little reason to build a Str based monk.

Vhaluus
2014-08-30, 12:29 AM
There is nothing to suggest that a +6 to stat item will be released and a LOT to suggest it won't be.

Shadow
2014-08-30, 01:05 AM
As I said, I haven't seen any magic items yet.
OK, so let's remove any magic items from the equation.
Let's also drop the cantrp to a more average 4d8 (I did choose a middle of the raod short bow, so let's do the same for the spell).
20 Dex. No magic stats boost. No magic bow. 1d6+5=8.5 average, Extra attack makes that average 17.
4d8=18 average.
Still competetive, and a magic bow takes the lead once again.
My point stands. The feature you multiclassed to get already has a class inherent option which is competetive.
I'm not saying don't multiclass your monk, I'm saying don't do it for a cantrip. You need a better reason.