PDA

View Full Version : How to Tame Your Dungeon -- A Pathfinder Game

Arkhaic
2014-08-26, 05:25 PM
The four of you have each succesfully completed the individual portions of your examinations with varying rankings somewhere above passing*. You are among the one hundred and twenty remaining candidates in the running, and the time has come for you to be divided into teams. Amid the flashing lights and jabbering cries of the press you were handed a small slip of paper with the location of what will serve as your team's home for the duration of the competition.

The road here is well-paved and made of smooth, newly laid brick. The houses lining it aren't extravagant in any sense of the word, but they /are/ well-made and aesthetically pleasing. The faint aroma of food wafts out of one of the houses, and you can hear talk and laughter in the distance. None of the three moons are visible in the evening sky. When you finally reach the address specified on your paper you likely see a few other individuals already waiting in front of the house. Based on their weapons and armor you can safely conclude that these are a few of your teammates. Your handler and the final two are nowhere to be found.

Introductions, etc. You have two in-game days until your first dungeon, which you can safely assume will be a previously explored local one. While it would most certainly drive your handler mad, there is nothing in the rules that *says* you can't explore the rest of the city until night falls.

*just pick a ranking out of 120.

firebrandtoluc
2014-08-26, 06:14 PM
Lucya stands near the door, still as a statue. She(?) nods in your direction as you approach, gazing at you from beneath a wrought iron mask with one clear blue eye, and one dead white. Her speech is slightly slurred as she addresses you, I am Lucya. She makes a quiet slurping sound and extends a gloved hand. Have you heard anything from the handler?

ashifter
2014-08-27, 08:25 AM
Varju:

Varju strolls along the street, taking in the sight of the busy town. Following the preliminaries where he placed [roll0]th, he wonders how competent the other people will be. Approaching the house and seeing the three other people gathered around, Varju lowers his cowl revealing his grey skin and yellow eyes. He flashes a grin and says,

"My name is Varju, a pleasure to meet such competent fellows such as yourselves."

He takes Lucya's hand and gives it a firm shake.

"I haven't heard anything from the handler on my part I'm afraid."

Shadowz1797
2014-08-27, 11:23 AM
Orson walks directly up to the two people he sees standing there, both of them clad in gear fit for adventuring. He can't help but contain his smile. He goes in the middle of them and sticks one hand out to either of them.
"The names Orson, pleasure to meet you!"

He for some reason feels relaxed around these two fellows, but also is anxious to find out their ranks if they happen to share.

[roll0] (for rank)

ShadowShrubbery
2014-08-27, 12:53 PM
Erudor walks up to the group, scanning all of their faces to see if their competence is lacking. As one of the top students in the class, he doesn't have time for people that he deems unfit. However, he decides bragging will not put him in the best light with his group, and he instead keeps these thoughts to himself. As he approaches, he gives a salute and says, "Hello, my name is Erudor Daechir, pleased to make your acquaintance."

ashifter
2014-08-27, 01:25 PM
Varju:

Varju shakes Orson's hand and offers a hand towards Erudor. After doing so, he says,

"Like I said, my name is Varju. I placed 34th for my skills rather than my fighting ability, though I assure you they are not lacking either. I would love to learn your ranks, but don't feel obligated to share if you don't want to."

firebrandtoluc
2014-08-27, 08:56 PM
Lucya shakes hands with everyone. Thirty four is a place to be proud of. Anyone who made it this far is obviously quite skilled. *slurp* So, what is your story? You're unsure if she was speaking to you or one of the others as she turns toward the door. She limps a few steps forward and attempts to open it.

Arkhaic
2014-08-28, 12:43 AM
The door remains quite firmly locked and shut, but Lucya spies a note slipped under the door. The note is oddly absent of any ink spills or markings one would expect to see on such a letter. The laughter in the distance dies down as a musical group of some sort begins to play.

http://i.imgur.com/M3n4nw9.png

Shadowz1797
2014-08-28, 09:42 AM
Orson's smile never lifts off his face as he answers the others. "I got ranked 27th, but to be honest I just couldn't be more happy that I passed! I'm a Paladin for our lady almighty Ilena." He says this as he looks to the sky. "Originally though I'm from around these parts. Part of the reason I got into this was for the adventure, the other part was bashing skulls of course!" He finishes this with a loud fit of laughter unfocused on if the others found it funny as well.

ShadowShrubbery
2014-08-28, 10:05 AM
Erudor accepts the hand of Varju, and breathes a sigh of minor discontent with Orson, although not audible enough for anyone besides himself to hear it for fear it would put him at odds with the rest of the group. Does anybody have an idea of something to do? I believe waiting here could get quite boring and tiresome if this lasts much longer

ashifter
2014-08-28, 12:52 PM
Varju:

To Orson he says,

"27th! Glad to have you with us. To be honest, I joined for the money. I imagine this will pay a lot more than my previous occupations, more legal as well."

Varju notices the note, reads it, and says,

"Well it looks like our handler is late with no mention of when he'll get here. I agree with Erudor, standing here is trying my patience. Anyone want to explore the town with me?"

firebrandtoluc
2014-08-28, 10:28 PM
Patience is a virtue. I didn't sign up for guard duty though. *slurp* Besides, never split the party. Lucya checks her equipment quickly before setting off at a leisurely pace limping in the direction of the music. This way gentlemen?

ashifter
2014-08-29, 12:36 AM
Varju:

"Good thing I never claimed I was virtuous,"

says Varju with a grin. He checks his gear and then follows Lucya, skipping and whistling down the street with his hands in his pockets.

Arkhaic
2014-08-30, 03:39 AM
A short while later, the four of you easily locate the source of the noise. A rather large party is in full swing in an open courtyard. While you can catch glimpses of familiar faces, it isn't easy to identify who they are through the crowd. As you get closer you can make out several masked performers on an upraised temporary stage. They dance in time with the music; smooth white masks reflect flickering red, orange, and yellow light from something on the stage. One of the performers juggles torches, a second breathes fire, and yet another dances and plays a fiddle to an unseen (though quite loud) song. Brightly colored banners emblazoned with the crest of House Feuor tower above the crowd, making it very clear who footed the bill for this event.

firebrandtoluc
2014-08-30, 11:39 PM
Lucya mingles towards the refreshments. She introduces herself and small talks with a random selection of people on the way, occasionally attempting to gather any information anyone might have about the names on the note. When addressing possible nobles she observes proper ettiquete and she is otherwise polite and respectful to everyone.

ashifter
2014-08-31, 10:18 AM
Varju:

Varju gives a long whistle and says,

"Wow, that is some party."

He then mingles with the crowd. He jokes around, compliments others and focuses his attention on the other members of the preliminaries. He tries to add to what he remembers about them, their abilities, their skills,etc. and tries to determine their rank.

Arkhaic
2014-08-31, 12:55 PM
In the short time it takes her to get to the refreshments Lucya picks up a few interesting tidbits of gossip. Most are unimportant, though she does learn the location of a local mapmaker named Martellus. When she reaches the table she finds that most of the people are gone and all of the drinks are empty. A man with coal-colored hair and a crazed grin has just downed the last three drinks in the time it takes her to begin reaching for one. He waves her over; she can smell ashes and soot on his body even at this distance. A glance at the stage also reveals that the fire breather slipped away at some point.

Meanwhile, Varju finds eventually finds himself near a rather mad-looking old man that he vaguely remembers from the preliminaries. The old man is wearing the same clothing as the first day Varju saw him—a faded shirt with an odd pattern on it, pants cut off at the knees, and an odd looking metal device in his hand. He placed in some rank or another as a wizard, though he clearly is something else entirely. "You seen me wee men?"

Shadowz1797
2014-08-31, 08:51 PM
Orson goes to mingle at the party, avoiding the alcohol for fear of not being ready for the next day. He upholds many conversations and cracks many jokes, hoping to put a smile on peoples faces. He always makes sure to keep his eye on his newly named party members to try and keep them out of trouble if need be.

ShadowShrubbery
2014-08-31, 09:56 PM
Erudor hangs back from the crowd, as he was never one to mingle when there wasn't any information he needed to learn. He scanned the crowd, looking for anything he could learn about the people within it, and also looked for anything that he deemed suspicious and deserved to be looked into.

ashifter
2014-08-31, 10:38 PM
Varju:

"I'm sorry I haven't."

Peering at the old man and paying particular attention to the strange metal device, he adds,

"You look very familiar. What's your name?"

firebrandtoluc
2014-09-01, 01:27 AM
Lucya approaches the man. Good evening. I'm Lucya. Who might you be? *slurp*

Arkhaic
2014-09-01, 02:30 AM
The old man gives out a wheezing coughs and looks around in a panic before calming down. "Yoo're back! Listen haur son, dornt ye recognize yer auld mucker Eli?" Eli waves the metal device about in the air wildly, pointing it at nothing in particular before grabbing Varju's shoulders and looking him in the eyes and shouting. "Th' shadows spreid tonecht laddy! Jist swatch up at th' lift!" He gestures at the sky again, where three black spaces between the stars are all that is visible of the moons.

Orson can easily hear the end of this exchange, though the words aren't distinct through the crowd. He passed the dc to hear, but not to understand.
The man laughs and dusts some soot off his clothes. "Just another party-goer." He hiccups, and an orange flame escapes his mouth before he can close it.

Shadowz1797
2014-09-01, 08:52 AM
Intrigued by the metal device, Orson moves not 5 feet away from Varju to catch a better glimpse of it.

ashifter
2014-09-01, 11:56 AM
Varju:

Varju says,

"Ah Eli, of course."

He clasps Eli's hand and shakes it. He then looks up at the sky, taking in its majesty.

"It is quite a view isn't it."

ShadowShrubbery
2014-09-01, 02:15 PM
Noticing his comrades surrounding Eli, Erudor walks closer to the group, still staying on the fringes so that no one notices him. He then tries to figure out what the metal device's purpose or use is.

firebrandtoluc
2014-09-01, 09:10 PM
I see, and are you enjoying the party so far Mr...? She keeps her eye on the rest of the group while waiting for his response.

Arkhaic
2014-09-01, 11:32 PM
"Sir Restivo, but let's skip formalities." Restivo grins and gestures at her equipment. "Another competitor, I take it?"

The crest of his house isn't visible, but it's reasonable to assume that he is a member of House Feuor.
"It was guid seein' ye again, laddie." Eli glances at the other adventurers. "But eh'd best keep lookin' fur mah wee men."

"Rupert?" He yells loudly as he wanders off. "Whaur ur ye?"

ashifter
2014-09-01, 11:45 PM
Varju:

Varju watches Eli walk away and shakes his head. He then turns around to see Orson, gives a wry smile and taps his head.

"Do you any idea what that old man was saying? I recognize him from the preliminaries, but couldn't get any comprehensible information out of him. Also, did you get a look at the metal device he had? Any idea what that was?"

firebrandtoluc
2014-09-02, 12:27 AM
Indeed, Sir Restivo. I'm looking forward to helping team and city. *slurp* Why did you decide to compete?

Arkhaic
2014-09-02, 12:39 AM
"Oh, the usual. It's fun, good PR, the kids love it, and my family might disown me if I don't." He grins and motions for a servant to bring more alcohol. "And you?"

firebrandtoluc
2014-09-02, 01:18 AM
I always helped people in my homeland. Since arriving in this country I've constantly heard about this contest. It seems like a good way to get involved here. *slurp* I could have built a new school but fate has shown me that I possess a wide array of other unexpected talents. When the servant returns Lucya grabs a drink and turns to one side so her face will remain concealed by her cloak. She shifts the mask up, downs the drink, and produces a handkerchief to wipe her face. After pulling the mask back in place she turns back to face Restivo. I haven't been around long enough to know much about local politics. What can you tell me about House Feuor?

Arkhaic
2014-09-02, 01:46 AM
"Oh, Dad's a bit strict, but the cousins are fun." He gestures vaguely in the direction of the stage.

firebrandtoluc
2014-09-02, 03:30 AM
Have you met up with your team yet?

Arkhaic
2014-09-02, 03:33 AM
Met? We were assembled before the preliminaries started.

Shadowz1797
2014-09-02, 07:23 AM
Orson turns to Varju and shakes his head. He scratches the back of his head and smiles as he tells Varju not exactly what he wants to hear. "Sorry but I was just looking at it. I'm afraid I didn't get any infomation or anything."

ShadowShrubbery
2014-09-02, 08:09 AM
Erudor goes out of his spot amongst the crowd to rejoin Varju and Orson, and says From afar I couldn't tell what the metal device was, but we must find out, who knows what it can do...!

ashifter
2014-09-02, 10:10 AM
Varju:

"Indeed, perhaps Lucya will know what it is. Speaking of which, where is she?"

firebrandtoluc
2014-09-02, 01:27 PM
I thought all the teams were selected randomly. That is a strong advantage to have. Lucya waves to her team when she notices them looking about. I would guess the local gamblers put very good odds on your group. If the team approaches, she introduces them.

ashifter
2014-09-02, 01:43 PM
Varju:

Varju sees Lucya waving to them and says,

"Oh wait, there she is."

​He walks through the crowd towards Lucya.

ShadowShrubbery
2014-09-02, 04:21 PM
Erudor follows Varju and heads over to Lucya

Shadowz1797
2014-09-02, 05:28 PM
Orson follows as well, scratching his head and looking around, easily distracted by the banter of other partygoers.

firebrandtoluc
2014-09-02, 06:49 PM
Sir Restivo, these are some of my teammates, Varju, Erudor, and Orson. Team, this is Sir Restivo. *slurp* We were just discussing the competition.

ShadowShrubbery
2014-09-02, 08:36 PM
While raising a hand out to Sir Restivo, Erudor, in a kind manner says,What a pleasure to meet you Sir Restivo, may your future bode well

Shadowz1797
2014-09-02, 09:30 PM
"Hello there Sir Restivo, I'm Orson, pleased to make your acquaintance. This is quite the party! So much going on all at once! Says Orson through a smile so big it takes up his whole face. He looks around with complete excitement as he says this.

ashifter
2014-09-02, 09:48 PM
Varju:

"Sir Restivo? It is my honor to make your acquaintance,"

says Varju with a flourishing bow.

"If I may be so bold, what rank did you place? A man of your stature must have been ranked very high."

Arkhaic
2014-09-03, 12:44 AM
"Woah, not all at once!" Restivo jokes while leaning back in mock-horror. At Varju's question he pulls a coin from his pocket and flips it. "Now, that would be telling!" he winks.

A servant finally arrives with a new set of drinks.

ashifter
2014-09-03, 10:05 AM
Varju:

Varju takes a glass and raises it up in the air.

"A toast to House Feuor for tonight's celebration, and a toast to adventure!"

firebrandtoluc
2014-09-03, 05:51 PM
Lucya raises a glass as well.

Shadowz1797
2014-09-03, 08:26 PM
Orson raises the glass ecstatically so that the drink spills out in front of him.

Arkhaic
2014-09-04, 12:36 AM
Restivo lifts his glass high. "To adventure!"

The music changes, and his eyes dart briefly to the stage. "I need to head back up soon, but not quite yet." He begins rifling through his pockets, looking for a slip of paper to write on.

Shadowz1797
2014-09-04, 07:49 PM
"What're you looking for there?" Orson asks. He does so out of pure curiosity, not trying to sound nosy.

ShadowShrubbery
2014-09-04, 08:26 PM
Erudor, also intrigued by the need of Sir Restivo, sits back and watches, waiting for it all to unfold.

Arkhaic
2014-09-04, 09:24 PM
"I'm performing onstage tonight. We scheduled a break so I could, ah, restock." He downs another pair of drinks.

ashifter
2014-09-05, 12:02 AM
Varju:

"Well, nice meeting you Sir Restivo and best of luck."

Varju claps him on the shoulder before turning to leave.

"I'm going to find some food then head back to base. Unless someone wants to come with me, I'll see you guys later."

Shadowz1797
2014-09-05, 08:41 PM
"Be seeing you then!" Orson says. He then turns back to Sir Restivo and asks, "So what exactly will your performance entail Sir Restivo?"

firebrandtoluc
2014-09-05, 09:05 PM
See you there Varju. And farewell Sir Restivo, see you next time. Lucya mingles and small talks her way closer to the stage to check out the performance before heading back to base.

ShadowShrubbery
2014-09-05, 09:11 PM
"I think I shall accept your offer if you dont mind Varju, this day has drained me and I need some rest"

ashifter
2014-09-06, 12:38 AM
Varju:

Varju gets some food and walks back to their base. As he walks, Varju asks Erudor,

"If you don't mind me asking, why did you join the competition?"

Arkhaic
2014-09-06, 01:00 AM
Restivo makes his farewells to Varju, Erudor and Lucya before turning to Orson.

He grins. "Watch this." The noble purses his lips and a controlled jet of flame pours out, changing in color from blue to red to yellow before fading. In the background, the music begins to transition in tone to a fast tune reminiscent of what played when the party arrived. "That would be my cue."

From her new vantage point, Lucya can see the source of the red glow under the performers: the entire stage is covered in hot coals.

ShadowShrubbery
2014-09-06, 05:37 PM
Erudor replies, saying "to prove that I am one of the best there is to offer. If you don't strive to be the best, how can you expect to be able to accomplish anything? How about yourself Varju?

ashifter
2014-09-06, 06:45 PM
Varju:

"I joined the competition to make money, pure and simple. I'm sure we'll find lots of valuables during our adventure, in addition to the money that will come from our fame. Not to mention the connections we will make with the members of high society."

Varju stops walking and looks at Erudor.

"Please don't take this the wrong way, but I never understood people who have to prove themselves. I know my abilities, and that's enough for me. As you strive to be one of the best, what lengths would you go to achieve that goal? Would you cheat? Would you use trickery? Would you kill someone?"

ShadowShrubbery
2014-09-07, 08:52 AM
No of course not, to be the best you must do it the right way. However secretly, Erudor knows that he would in fact do all three of those things if it meant becoming the best there was.

Arkhaic
2014-09-09, 08:10 PM
Lucya doesn't see very many people as she walks back to base, but a faint light is shining through one of the windows. The door is still closed, but she can see that the note is gone.

firebrandtoluc
2014-09-09, 09:51 PM
Lucya knocks firmly on the door three times.

Shadowz1797
2014-09-10, 07:02 PM
Finding himself alone after having walked through the crowd meeting everybody he could see, Orson decides to walk back to the base.

Arkhaic
2014-09-10, 10:28 PM
Something clatters to the ground inside the house as heavy footsteps pound on wood. The door swings open to reveal something around the same size and shape of a clothed, bespectacled boulder. He appears to be human upon closer inspection, though the mistake is a reasonable one.

"Lucya Queen?" the boulder rumbles enthusiastically, seemingly recognizing her.

firebrandtoluc
2014-09-11, 07:16 PM
That is my name. You are the handler? *slurp*

Arkhaic
2014-09-11, 09:41 PM
"One of 'em. Olivia handles PR mostly, and Stephen here does everything else." Stephen holds out his hand.

firebrandtoluc
2014-09-12, 04:23 PM
Lucya gives the boulder's hand a firm shake and speaks calmly, We missed you earlier. * slurp * The others should be back soon.

ashifter
2014-09-12, 04:48 PM
Varju:

Varju continues to walk back to the house. After taking a few wrong turns, he arrives at the house shortly after Lucya who apparently took a faster or more direct route. He sees her at the open door and runs up to her. Seeing Stephen, Varju holds out a hand and says,

"Hey I'm Varju, pleasure to meet you."

Arkhaic
2014-09-14, 04:49 AM
Shaking Stephen's hand leaves a visible layer of dirt and grime on yours—his rocky appearance apparently stems more from an appalling lack of hygiene than any magical effect.
A short tour of the house later and most of the party is sitting in the base's lounge. Or rather, what was the lounge. At some point during the preliminaries, Stephen and Xendrill converted the area into a conference room of sorts. Maps and reference books clutter the floor, along with charts, diagrams, calenders, a few odd weapons, an eclectic pile of knick-knacks, and seven small looking glasses. There are plenty of seats available, with only 5 of the 9 being filled. Regardless of whether or not they tried, no one has managed to quite rub Stephen's grime off of themselves. "Have you eaten yet? I don't cook, but there should be some food around here somewhere..."

ashifter
2014-09-14, 02:40 PM
Varju:

"Ah no thanks, I ate at the House Feuor party."

Varju continues at his attempts to clean his hand.

Arkhaic
2014-10-02, 12:03 AM
You can make out the sounds of a door opening elsewhere in the house; muffled conversation soon follows it. The cool night breeze makes some of the papers and maps flutter, but a haphazard system of paperweights keeps them in place.

ENTER JENSA & RANATHAR

Omnicrat
2014-10-02, 02:35 AM
A strikingly handsome man with hair the color of mithral and orange (almost glowing) eyes, had just walked in. He was upset that he missed the party. He was supposed to have been their, but a mix up with is paperwork caused an unfortunate delay. And he had so looked forward to finding muck (or at least what would be plausible to fabricate as muck) to discreetly reveal about his competition... Ah well, while he missed this first opportunity it would be far from his last. Turning to the young lady he walked in with, Xanax said, with charm and a smile, Jensa, isn't it? I remember you from the preliminaries. Certainly is an... interesting stile you've got. I must say I am glad that you're part of the team rather than part of the competition.

Forrestfire
2014-10-03, 01:00 AM
The short woman who walked in behind him is also decently attractive, with long, stark-white hair. She wears a light jacket and scarf over a comfortable-looking tunic and pants. She carries a small messenger bag on one shoulder, and in one hand, she carries a long black umbrella with what looks like a reinforced mithril ferrule on the end, and the emblem of Elymas on the bottom of the handle. Her clothes are all in various shades of blue, and as she walks, shadows seem to... stick to her, dimming the colors of her outfit.

When addressed by the Xanax, she takes a moment to pull out a sheet of paper that seems to have small hole burned in it, then folds it and puts it back in her bag. "Jensa will do, yes. Your name was Xanax, right? A pleasure to meet you." She then turns to look at each of the others in the room as well, then does a small curtsy.

"And it's nice to meet the rest of you as well. Well met."

ashifter
2014-10-03, 01:11 AM
Varju:

Varju gets up and walk quickly towards them and shakes each of their hands.

"Welcome, welcome. My name is Varju, a pleasure to meet the both of you."

Varju takes special notice of the shadows sticking to Jensa.

Interesting...

Forrestfire
2014-10-03, 01:29 AM
Jensa smiles as Varju introduces himself, shaking his hand firmly, before stepping to the side and past him. As she pulls up a chair, she drops her umbrella to the side. Her shadow moves away from the position it's supposed to be in and catches the umbrella by its tip, before shifting it about a foot over and leaning against the wall. As Jensa sits down, she turns and warmly addresses the other person: "And you?"

firebrandtoluc
2014-10-03, 03:40 AM
I am Lucya. The tall woman speaks softly as she limps over and offers a leather gloved hand in greeting to each of you in turn. Are either of you hungry? *slurp* I was just on my way to inspect the kitchen.

Omnicrat
2014-10-03, 01:12 PM
Clasping (after clapping) his hands together and smiling, I am not particularly hungry at the moment, though I'm sure I will be some time before I die, no reason not to go with you and get to know you a little better!

ashifter
2014-10-03, 01:24 PM
Varju:

Varju sits down next to Jensa and asks,

"So tell me Jensa, what is your specialty?"

Arkhaic
2014-10-03, 02:09 PM
Apart from an initial greeting, Stephen leaves you to your own devices; he instead hunches over an unlabelled black tome while making markings on a map next to him.

Forrestfire
2014-10-03, 05:46 PM
Jensa smirks a bit, gesturing to her shadow on the floor. The shadow waves its hand.

"Mostly that, and a few tricks with ice magic. Yourself?"

ashifter
2014-10-03, 06:41 PM
Varju:

"Fascinating... My skills lie in scouting and trapfinding. I'm also pretty handy with a dagger."

firebrandtoluc
2014-10-04, 02:37 AM
Lucya heads into the kitchen and begins looting it like a professional. No container is safe. In a few short moments a small pile of ingredients and utinsels has formed on the table and the cupboards have returned to normal.

So, Xanax, what is your story?

She looks briefly at her gloves, one still soiled from its encounter with Stephen, before removing them. The hands beneath could pass for a zombie's if they had more rot on them. A few strips of skin over seeminly ruined but somehow still functional muscles and tendons.

She grabs a knife and starts slicing a piece of meat that looks very similar to her hands.

Omnicrat
2014-10-05, 07:29 PM
Undead? No, undead don't eat. What then?

Xanax smiles, My story is our story. I'm going to be a member of one of the great delver squads, respected by the whole nation, with power and clout to spare. No matter what happens, know that you can count on me, teammate, to make this a reality for us all.

And, if it is alright to ask... Xanax jestures towards Lucya's hand.

Forrestfire
2014-10-05, 07:36 PM
(to Varju) "Trapfinding, eh? Then that makes you the most important member of our team, right?"

She pauses for a moment in thought, then abruptly changes the subject. "Where are you from, out of curiosity? How'd you come to join this competition?"

ashifter
2014-10-05, 08:08 PM
Varju:

"I'm not really from anywhere in particular, I moved around a lot growing up. I stayed alive by using my wits as well as by relieving the wealthy of their valuables. I heard of this competition as a fine way to make a living, a legal one at that. How about you?"

Forrestfire
2014-10-05, 08:35 PM
"As a follower of Elymas, I travel around a lot, and generally try to use my talents to help communities I visit. In this case... I decided that I'd try something bigger. I'm here for the opportunity to help clear dungeons, really. It's an important job."

firebrandtoluc
2014-10-06, 05:25 AM
Yes, that...

She tosses the small portion of meat into a pan waiting on the fire and pokes at it with a wooden spoon.

That is the reason for all of this.

Her hand gesture sweeps from head to toe then returns to tap twice on the iron mask concealing her face. *slurp*

It is a long story, and you most likely wouldn't recognize the people or places in it, but I can share it. Unless you would prefer the short version?

The knife flashes through a few vegetables and a loaf of bread as she speaks.

Not everyone has the patience for long tales from slow speakers.

She deftly scoops the meat onto the bread, assembles her sandwich, completes it with a bit of garnish, and scoots it deliberately into position on the plate.

ashifter
2014-10-06, 09:38 AM
Varju:

"Oh I'm sure."

He yawns loudly.

"Pardon me, it's been a long day."

Omnicrat
2014-10-06, 12:38 PM
With legitimate interest, I've got nothing but time, teammate, and I feel it is best to know your full story.

firebrandtoluc
2014-10-06, 09:42 PM
Very well. She tidies up quickly. *slurp* Let's find some seats.

She pockets her gloves and limps back toward the lounge with plate and knife in hand.

I am from a place... upon entering the room she grabs a chair and adjusts its position slightly.... that we called Three Rivers.

She places the sandwich nearby and begins to unbuckle her mask.

The Gaial and the Aboren met nearby and merged into the Searoad river.

The mask comes loose and she places it next to the chair. She sits so her face is in the shadow of her cloak hood.

Farming and logging were life there. *slurp* Taxes were oppressive but resources were abundant.

She begins using the knife to cut the sandwich into bite sized pieces.

My parents were scholars and rather well off. Supposedly they were studying the local forest but really they were just there to get away from city life. After they died I built a school to teach the farmer's children.

She pauses for a moment to tilt her head back and chew a piece of sandwich. The noise is disturbing to all but the most uncouth.

ashifter
2014-10-06, 09:58 PM
Varju:

Varju looks up as Lucya and Xanax walk back in. He takes note of her sandwich.

"Hey that looks good!" he asks, "I'm going to make one for myself. Please continue, I can hear just fine from the other room."

Omnicrat
2014-10-06, 10:14 PM
Xanax takes a seat across from Lucya, staring intently and waiting for her to continue.

firebrandtoluc
2014-10-07, 10:02 PM
I grew up quickly after that point. My childhood views reforged themselves to better fit reality. *slurp*

The children didn't have much time for school. They worked the fields with their families or the whole village starved. Every bit extra was sold to pay the tax collectors, and they visited more and more often.

She shifts in her chair.

It wasn't all bad of course. I managed to teach a few children, and parents, how to read. I had time to be courted, and fall in love with a boy from the city. He was the only stranger I had ever met. I was still young enough to believe it would last forever. *slurp*

Then the drought began. Shortly after that, a plague of beetles destroyed most of the local timber. The Mayor tried to reason with the tax collectors and in return, without the slightest hesitation, they grabbed his son and beat him in the street.

firebrandtoluc
2014-10-08, 08:16 PM
From that day everything escalated. The Mayor was convinced the King didn't know his men were hooligans and he traveled to the city to petition for justice. He was, according to the next tax collector, killed by bandits on the road. Bandits that never robbed anyone else and were never seen again.

*slurp* She continues in her slow but steady pace.

Naturally, we were suspicious. As the only educated villager, and only one with a friend there, and because they were trying to appoint me mayor, I decided to head to the city to try to get more information.

She shifts in her chair again.

The city folk weren't any better off than the villagers. I sold off most of my parents belongings trying to help them, but there is only so much one young woman can do. I spent three years there. The young man I loved turned out to be politically and militarily connected. With his help, and a whole lot of letter writing, we learned a great deal about our tyrant king. *slurp*

When letters weren't safe they became meetings, and when meetings weren't safe they became secret. I somehow became a central figure in a very large rebellion. People were angry but I did my best to calm them. Plans were made for a bloodless coup, an abdication, and a new government that would serve the people.

Forrestfire
2014-10-08, 08:34 PM
Jensa sits politely listening, at one point almost interrupting, but thinking better of it.

Taveena
2014-10-09, 09:08 PM
There's a rather loud knock at the door - more a hammering than anything - but there's no aggressive followup or demands. Apparently whoever is knocking is just particularly heavy-handed in doing so.

Forrestfire
2014-10-09, 09:14 PM
Jensa looks to the door, then down at her own shadow, waving it towards the other side of the room. The dark shape detaches itself, swiftly fluttering across surfaces until it reaches the door, which it then quietly opens. Once the door is open, the shadow immediately snaps back into its proper place.

Spellcraft would reveal she cast Open/Close, just heavily refluffed.

firebrandtoluc
2014-10-09, 09:22 PM
Some still called for blood, but I reasoned with the most influential of them. A merchant named Harinson. He seemed receptive.

Her tone had been steady up to this point but now a hint of anger becomes apparent to those perceptive of such things.

We had a meeting a few days before the plan would be enacted that he never showed up for. Some men with weapons, dressed as the King's guards, were more punctual. *slurp*

I woke up in a dungeon, in absolute darkness, with something watching me. Its breath sounded like a rabid dog's and smelled of sulphur. It spoke Infernal, of which I had a vague understanding. It explained what was about to happen to me and why. I assumed it was lying but... *slurp* ...it ended up getting almost all of it right. Everything up to my escape anyway.

Taveena
2014-10-09, 09:29 PM
In the doorway stands... a somewhat disconcerting looking woman. She stands stiffly, her arms by her sides with a scroll clutched rather tightly in them. More noticeable is her grey, corpselike skin. From under the (neatly trimmed) bangs are somewhat sunken red eyes, and there's a pair of fangs just barely protruding from her upper lip. With a scowl, she glances at the seated occupants, before speaking up.

"I have a message for Erudor and Orwyn," she says, her voice both slightly marred by the teeth, but more heavily marred by her accent. Apparently she hasn't been speaking common long.

Arkhaic
2014-10-09, 09:50 PM
"The names Orson, actually..." Orson begins to stand and pauses when he sees her mark of rank. "What are we needed for?" He gestures at Erudor hurriedly.

Taveena
2014-10-09, 10:06 PM
She glances at him, staring at him for a few solid seconds. "The scroll has the information," she says, before offering it to him.

Arkhaic
2014-10-09, 10:43 PM
Orson takes it and gestures Erudor. "We're needed elsewhere." He opens the scroll and reads it silently before handing it off to Erudor.

The pair leaves shortly after that; they clearly looked excited about something, but couldn't or wouldn't say what it was.

Forrestfire
2014-10-09, 11:05 PM
Jensa quietly watches the exchange, before wondering aloud "I wonder what they were needed for."

A moment later, she remembers the presence of the new person, waving from her seat. "Hello, how are you today? ... If you don't mind me asking, where are you from? I can't place your accent..."

Taveena
2014-10-10, 11:19 AM
There's a few moments of cautious silence, before she speaks up. "... Elsewhere."

ashifter
2014-10-10, 11:57 AM
Varju:

Finished with making his sandwich, Varju hears people talking at the door. He decides to stay back for now and eat.

firebrandtoluc
2014-10-10, 06:44 PM
Lucya finishes putting her mask and gloves back on and limps over to the door. Is there anything else we can help you with miss? * slurp *

Taveena
2014-10-11, 12:03 PM
"... I have been sent as their replacement, as I am... unsuitable for the task they were given," she says, obviously uncomfortable. "I apologize for forcing this upon you."

Forrestfire
2014-10-11, 05:46 PM
Jensa smiles and stands, extending a handshake.

"Oh, in that case, welcome! I'm called Jensa, nice to meet you."

Taveena
2014-10-11, 07:24 PM
"Liling," she says, taking the hand and shaking it... not only stiffly, but somewhat awkwardly, as though she's not particularly practiced.

Forrestfire
2014-10-11, 07:51 PM
"Nice to meet you, Liling."

Omnicrat
2014-10-12, 01:37 AM
Though at first put off by the interruption, once Xanax realized Liling was a fellow team mate, his demeanor became friendly towards her.

After introductions were made by some others, Xanax walks up and says, Welcome, teammate! We were all just listening to Lucya tell us about her life. We weren't TOO far into it, to Lucya, would you have any problem with starting over, Lucya?

ashifter
2014-10-13, 01:32 PM
Varju:

Hearing that there's a new teammate, Varju walks to the front door, sandwich still in hand. He awkwardly wipes the sandwich juice off his hand before extending it to Liling and saying,

"It's a pleasure to meet you Liling. The name's Varju."

Taveena
2014-10-13, 03:19 PM
"There is no need to start over on my account," she says. "I am certain I will pick up the gist regardless." There's a few moments pause, before she once again stiffly reaches out to shake the hand, nodding.

firebrandtoluc
2014-10-13, 08:30 PM
Welcome to the team Liling. She also offers a handshake. Then she returns to her seat and continues slowly.

The short version is that I tried to depose a tyranical monarch but I was sold out by a colleague. I ended up in a deep dark dungeon that I assumed belonged to King Nicholas, speaking with what I believe was some kind of Devil. *slurp*

It told me that I would know true despair and then have vengeance. That if I chose wisely my vengeance would be complete. Then it was gone. I thought it was lying of course, that's what devil's do. I believed Alexander, my betrothed, could easily get me out of the King's dungeons so I felt no despair. Just a bit silly to have become a damsel in destress, so to speak. *slurp*

Unfortunately, I was not in the King's dungeon. Harinson had a more devious plan than that. He wanted to be sure he could make up whatever story he wanted about what happened to me so he could get everyone to rally behind him.

She shifts uncomfortably in her chair.

They came for me shortly after I woke up. They wore robes instead of armor and when I refused to follow them anywhere they carried me. They cleaned me and anointed me with oils. I was taken to an altar and strapped to it.

She stops for a moment and then calmly continues.

They never knew I could understand Infernal speech. The ritual they performed was a sacrifice that took what must have been weeks. They destroyed me piece by piece as an offering to please Balmammon, Lord of Destruction, tyrant of the seven, ruler of the blood gate, and the undone, wielder of vengeance, and the crushing weight of despair.

You notice that her hand has drifted over to her sword as she spoke and she whispers, May he fall forever. before continuing.

They healed me to keep me alive but curative magic doesn't undo sacrifice. Even though it was powerful magic. It even continued healing me long after I was thrown back into my cell. I used that to my advantage and... managed... to pick some of the blocks loose. I could hear water back there. *slurp*

I knew I didn't have enough time though. I knew that the next step was to destroy my mind. The devil's words came back to me but I ignored them. I still had hope. But... she bows her head slightly ... Alexander needed removed. Harinson told him where to find me. But not about the guards.

ashifter
2014-10-13, 08:40 PM
Varju:

Varju listens to the story stone-faced, drawing parallels to his own tragic story...

Taveena
2014-10-14, 03:01 AM
Liling stands awkwardly in the doorway for a few more moments, before moving forward to stand in the corner of the room.

firebrandtoluc
2014-10-14, 07:35 PM
They let him find me. He did not recognize me of course. I could barely speak at the time so my warnings were useless.

She reaches up toward her face and produces a waxy looking, finger sized object that looks amazingly lip like. It's hard tah say things -ithout li-s She puts it back. *slurp*

Without lips. It's even harder when you also lack most of your tongue and teeth as well. He fought them but there were dozens of them and the priest as well. They killed him the next day as part of the ritual. The goal was to destroy me and they might have succeeded were it not for the devil's words. Because they failed to destroy my mind, devils came to collect them later that day. *slurp*

I assume that was the plan all along. Devils are crafty. Then, one of the Devils made me an offer, which I refused, after which I was left alone to die in my cell.

Forrestfire
2014-10-14, 08:23 PM
Jensa's expression during this tale is somewhere between sympathy and complete attention. "... Did you?"

firebrandtoluc
2014-10-15, 05:57 PM
No. I suspect that the priest's magic kept me going while I burrowed my way through the wall. The old, water weakened stonework was far easier to get through than the fairly new wall with the iron door in it. The sound of running water was from a waste canal just to the east of the city. *slurp*

I was elated when I broke through that last bit of dirt and crawled through to the edge of the filth. That feeling didn't last. People feared me. I had to live in shadows as I learned what had happened to my homeland while I was imprisoned.

Harinson had turned me into a martyr, started a bloody civil war, used my fiancé's troops to take the city, and got him out of the way when he became too popular. The council was elected, but he took all the power easily. In just a few months he was crowned King. The people cheered.

She stops for a moment and takes a deep breath.

The devil came to me again with his offer and I refused him again. I was frightened by how hard it was to turn it down however. So I stole what I needed and left. I walked west. For three years. I met some good people, I met some bad. I got my "prosthetics" from an inventor trying to build a golem that could talk without magic. *slurp*

I got my mask, sword, armor, and training from a group of dwarves that needed an extra sword arm traveling to a new home. They were quite friendly, once their cleric stopped trying to repel me with the might of Moradin's Beard anyway. But dwarves are dwarves and I am not, so I moved on once they had their door up. *slurp*

I lost most of my other equipment I had earned in a rock slide coming down the mountains nearest to here. I came here for work and to buy replacements. Found out that this is as far as I can go on foot, so I decided to stay and sign up for... this. Showed up just before the deadline.

ashifter
2014-10-15, 09:30 PM
Varju:

" 'Tis truly a sad tale, one that happens far too often. In any case, you're alive. Perhaps one day you can seek vengeance against this Harinson."

Omnicrat
2014-10-16, 02:54 PM
Speaking up now that her story is over, Xanax says I don't know about the rest of you, but that doesn't sound like how Devils are supposed to act to me, though I can't quite remember why. Xanax waves his hand over the walls of books surrounding them, I am also fairly certain that the information must be in one of these books we have access to here, if we all work together it shouldn't take us that long at all to find the answer we seek. We were going to stay up getting to know each other anyway, were we not? No reason we can't do both.

ashifter
2014-10-16, 10:03 PM
Varju:

Varju yawns loudly.

"Not me, pouring through books is not my idea of a good time. I'm gonna hit the hay, see you guys in the morning."

Varju turns to leave, but stops suddenly.

"Hehe, I just realized that I don't have any idea where the sleeping quarters are. Can someone point me in the right direction?"

Forrestfire
2014-10-16, 10:07 PM
Jensa yawns in response to his, then points. "Down the hall on your left. I took the room at the end of the hall."

ashifter
2014-10-16, 10:12 PM
Varju:

Varju waves and says,

"Appreciate it. Good night folks."

Omnicrat
2014-10-16, 10:14 PM
Night Varju, see you in the morning, to those left, Anyone else up for it? This is going to bug me all night...

Forrestfire
2014-10-16, 10:20 PM
Jensa shakes her head and stands. "I would normally, but I spent half my day dealing with paperwork hassles. I don't even want to think about reading right now... I think I'll go to bed as well. Goodnight, everyone. It was nice meeting you."

She then walks down the hall, her shadow picking up her umbrella and carrying it, while the mage creates a small mote of light in her hand.

Taveena
2014-10-16, 10:36 PM
Liling is still standing in that corner, remaining quiet. Her eyes are shut, and though it hardly seems comfortable, she... seems to have fallen asleep.

Omnicrat
2014-10-18, 12:32 AM
With a sigh and visible disappointment, Just me hitting the books, then? Looks like I'll be sleeping in a bit tomorrow...

Unless that is you wanted to help, Lucya?

firebrandtoluc
2014-10-18, 04:18 PM
No. I am up before the birds. *slurp*

She stands and grabs her sword on the way to the hall, pausing for a moment in the doorway.

She speaks with some concern, I can help you in the morning. Sure you don't want to wait until then?

Regardless of answer, Lucya heads to bed.

Goodnight.

Omnicrat
2014-10-18, 04:41 PM
With kindness, No, thank-you. This will bug me all night if I don't look it up now. You get your sleep, hopefully this won't take me too long...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After about an hour, Xanax turns to a passage in a new book, and begins reading. After a few sentences, Huh.

Omnicrat
2014-10-19, 12:51 AM
Xanax yawns I can tell them about it in the morning, for now its time for me to get some shuteye. then meanders off to find an empty room to call his own.

Arkhaic
2014-10-22, 12:01 AM
The 2nd of Lua, Year 300

Nothing of much import happens over the night, but the next morning you find your two handlers inspecting a set of small trinkets. Next to him is a severe, middle-aged woman you can only assume to be Xendrill. Everything about her—gray clothing, gray hair, gray posture, gray half-moon glasses—seems to be the optimal blend of decorum and utilitarianism. At least for the purposes of intimidation.

Taveena
2014-10-22, 02:08 AM
Liling's wakefulness is announced by a somewhat confused grunt, followed by her falling over and crashing into the floor.

Forrestfire
2014-10-22, 12:07 PM
Jensa returns from her morning jog, waving to the trio. When she nears them, she happily calls out "Good morning!"

firebrandtoluc
2014-10-23, 08:11 PM
Lucya pokes her head into the room after hearing the crash. Noting her comrade on the floor, Are you okay Liling? She limps over and offers her a hand. Then, to everyone, I hope everyone is hungry. I made breakfast.

Forrestfire
2014-10-23, 08:43 PM
Jensa says "Breakfast? Wonderful." as she enters the door behind the new trio.

ashifter
2014-10-23, 10:03 PM
Varju:

Varju doesn't appear until noon. He walks out a bit unsteadily, yawning and in the same clothes he wore yesterday.

"Mmm good morning all."

Taveena
2014-10-24, 09:54 AM
Liling pushes herself up, avoiding eye contact with the others. (Pointedly, not taking Lucya's hand.)

Arkhaic
2014-10-24, 09:32 PM
Xendrill raides an eye at Liling, but makes no move to help her up.

Oblivious to the world, Stephen continues his examination of the pendants.
She greets Jensa as she comes in. "Your registration is complete?"
When Lucya mentions Liling's name, Xendrill's ears perk up. "Oh, the new representative!" She jots something in a notebook. "Tell me when everyone gets here, would you?" After Liling's answer, Xendrill dons a pair of goggles and earmuffs identical to Stephens and joins him in the inspection.
Xanax walks in and says Morning all!

Forrestfire
2014-10-24, 09:59 PM
"As far as I know, it's complete. I hope it's complete. As I'm sure you've been made aware, the paperwork was... difficult. To say the least."

Taveena
2014-10-25, 12:05 AM
Liling seems to be about to speak, but she closes her mouth and opts to just stare at Jensa.

Forrestfire
2014-10-25, 12:07 AM
After a moment, Jensa tilts her head and asks "What's up?"

Omnicrat
2014-10-25, 04:04 PM
Sensing potential conflict, Xanax says About that research I did last night on devils turned up something rather... interesting. Turning to Lucya, with concern and sympathy I mean absolutely no offense when I ask this, but are you certain that it was an actual devil? Not just a cultist making himself to look as one?

ashifter
2014-10-25, 04:13 PM
Varju:

Varju yawns again sleepily and says,

"It would probably be easier to disguise oneself as a devil instead of summoning one."

Taveena
2014-10-26, 06:27 AM
"... Nothing important," Liling mutters, glancing at the others.

firebrandtoluc
2014-10-30, 04:44 PM
Lucya tilts her head forward for a moment. Then responds, I am as certain of it as I am that you are standing here asking the question.

She then exits the room and quickly returns with a rather sizeable tray of foods. I don't know your preferences so I made a bit of everything that was available. She places the tray to one side of the room, gestures to take what you like, and then unstraps her sword from her back and takes a seat.

Omnicrat
2014-10-30, 09:11 PM
Xanax grabs something close by, takes a bite, swallows, then goes on, I only ask because, as far as I am aware, its nearly impossible to summon anything as powerful as a Demon or Devil with our current level of magical advancement. The only record I could find of something coming close was a serial killer Xendrill was researching, and that account wasn't exactly reliable. Turning to address Xendrill directly, I wasn't able to understand most of the text unfortunately, only the Draconic and [Common] bits. Presumably you would know more about this than I do.

Forrestfire
2014-10-30, 10:34 PM
Jensa takes something off the plate and sits down as well, silently listening to the conversation.

ashifter
2014-10-31, 12:21 AM
Varju:

Varju also grabs some food, sits down and starts to eat. There's a thoughtful look on his ashen-colored face.

Omnicrat
2014-11-01, 06:00 PM
Suddenly realizing what his handlers were wearing, Xanax walked up to Xendrill, tapped her on the shoulder, and once she took off her device repeated synopized his research on the book and repeated the inquiry.

Arkhaic
2014-11-04, 03:08 AM
Xendrill removes the headgear and listens to Xanax's account. "I never did much more than general theoretical research on summoning; power constraints made it an impractical venture...Eyewitness accounts of Harro were unreliable at beast, though there were a few accounts of him summoning intelligent creatures..." She trails off for a moment before continuing. "Normally I would be more dubious about such a claim, but the unusual circumstances surrounding the incident allow for a slight possiblilty."

She goes back to working on the objects with Stephen for a few minutes before holding up a pair of the medallions. "I spent a great deal of time obtaining these prototypes from a colleague. They allow for short-range communication between wearers." Xendrill points at a paper lying on the table. "Those are operation instructions. Memorize the command words, and read the warnings. We'll practice when their ready."

ashifter
2014-11-05, 06:05 PM
Varju:

Varju picks up a medallion and fiddles around with it as he reads the instructions.

Forrestfire
2014-11-05, 07:03 PM
Jensa takes one as well, putting it on and reading the instructions. "Interesting."

Taveena
2014-11-07, 03:44 AM
Liling seems apprehensive, staring intently at the instructions, before pursing her lips.

Arkhaic
2014-11-10, 10:37 AM
A few minutes later, Xendrill mutters a short command word. An artificial, high-pitched 'noise' rings in your minds. I take it everyone heard that? Good." She marks several locations on a map, each a short walk away. "We can test the communicators at these locations. I need you back at noon."

firebrandtoluc
2014-11-10, 07:45 PM
After reading the instructions and doning a medalion, Lucya folds the paper up and stores it in a pocket. She points to a spot on the map and says I'll head there. She checks her equipment and heads out the door.

ashifter
2014-11-10, 07:52 PM
Varju:

Varju points to another location and says,

"I'll be over here."

He then walks out the door.

Forrestfire
2014-11-10, 07:59 PM
Jensa stands and grabs her jacket from the hangers next to the door. "I guess I'll take the third point, then."

Omnicrat
2014-11-11, 05:51 AM
Quickly clasping his hands, Xanax says Guess I'll be headed to this one then, see you soon all! then proceeds to head out like with the rest.

Taveena
2014-11-11, 03:42 PM
Liling scowls, taking one of the last communicators and glaring at her retreating teammates. She says nothing, and heads on her way.

Arkhaic
2014-11-15, 03:33 PM
The tests only take a short time to perform, though actually reaching the locations takes a fair bit of time.

You see the same individual a number of times as you walk, a square-faced man with gray hair. He slipped into the crowd when he realized you noticed him.

An hour remains until you need to head back to base.

ashifter
2014-11-17, 11:05 AM
Varju:

Varju will stroll down the streets, taking a very roundabout way back to base. Should he notice the man following him, he will turn into a side street and hide. Should the man continue to follow him, Varju will confront him.

Varju takes a while to return to base, pausing to browse in the shops and take in the sites.

Arkhaic
2014-11-18, 10:45 PM
It doesn't take too long for him to reappear again—clearly, the square-faced man isn't too good at following people. You manage to slip into an empty alleyway; you see him pass by, looking around for you, but he fails to do so.

ashifter
2014-11-18, 10:55 PM
Varju:

Varju starts to follow the man, trying to blend in with the crowd to make sure he isn't seen.

Arkhaic
2014-11-18, 11:48 PM
Seemingly done with searching for you, the square-faced man pulls out a scrap of paper and buys various household and magical supplies.

ashifter
2014-11-19, 12:16 AM
Varju:

Varju waits until the man has purchased his items and has his hands full carrying them. Varju then calls upon the shadows to conceal him, changing his appearance to that of a common human.

Changes his appearance to be 5'8'', blond, blue eyed and a crescent scar upon his cheek. He appears to be wearing chain mail and carries a longsword.

(*Not sure if this falls into the domain of disguise self, but if it does, he also draws a dagger and makes it look like a flask.)
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/d/disguise-self

He then walks up to the man, takes a swig from his "flask" and whispers,

"Hey, I've heard you've been looking for a strange man with grey skin and yellow eyes. For the right price, I can help you find him..."

Varju studies the man, trying to gauge his reaction.

Bluff:[roll0]
Diplomacy:[roll1]
Disguise:[roll2]

Perception:[roll3]
Sense Motive:[roll4]

Arkhaic
2014-11-19, 12:50 AM
The square-faced man jumps and nearly drops some of his groceries. Clearly startled, he struggles to keep hold of them. After regaining his posture, he murmurs back, "Let's speak somewhere more private." He motions towards a near-empty bookstore on the corner.

The Square-Faced Man is an older human male with a nervous disposition. He wears a thin band of decorative silver on his wrist, common among merchants and sometimes used as an identifying mark. His clothes are simple, but his posture and mannerisms betray him--the Square-Faced Man is or was of higher station than he would like to be seen as.

ashifter
2014-11-19, 12:54 AM
Varju:

"Sure, sure."

Varju follows.

Did the flask thing work?

Arkhaic
2014-11-19, 01:00 AM
He leads you into one of the aisles and sets down his bags. "So, you're Gauwyn? You have the information?"

ashifter
2014-11-19, 01:04 AM
Varju:

Varju raises an eyebrow, takes a "swig" and asks,

"Who else? Now more importantly, do you have my payment?"

Arkhaic
2014-11-21, 12:25 AM
"Of course, of course..." the square-faced man rifles through his pockets and pulls out a bill of exchange, sealed with a bright blue mark. He looks at Varju expectantly.

ashifter
2014-11-21, 01:58 AM
Varju:

Varju takes the bill of exchange and puts it in his pocket. He then takes a long swig from his "flask," finishing it. Varju turns it upside and sighs mournfully. He look up at the man and says,

"Uhhh, what did you want to know again?"

Arkhaic
2014-11-21, 03:35 PM
The square-faced man mutters under his breath and traces something idly on his knee. "I need to know of any individuals matching this description, and their location." He pulls out a vague sketch of a fetchling; the gender is unclear, as are any identifying facial features.

ashifter
2014-11-22, 02:07 PM
Varju:

Varju replies,

"Ah, now I remember. I saw a gray man sneaking into the Delve, y'know, the one under the Hydra and Hound bar? Not sure what he was doing, but he's probably up to no good."

Meanwhile, Varju activates the communicator and asks,

Hey, I've found a man looking for me. Does anyone know who he is or have any information on him?

Varju gives a brief description of the man.

Arkhaic
2014-11-23, 04:34 PM
The square faced man thanks you and leaves shortly thereafter, merging back into the crowd.

ashifter
2014-11-23, 04:39 PM
Varju:

Varju opens the bill of exchange and heads back to the house.

Arkhaic
2014-11-28, 07:45 PM
The 3rd of Lua, 300

Morning. All across the city, adventuring parties are prepping for the first dungeon. Some are out training or sparring, some are meeting with sponsors in luxurious halls, a few have already begun, and two are awaiting their release from prison. This party is crowded into a central meeting room, an enormous map spread out on the table. There are hundreds of rooms on the map itself, and not one of them is labeled as a clear exit. The design has no clear purpose, either, at least not one designed for typical human inhabitants: the layout is inane, filled with dead-ends, and no room has a clear function.

ashifter
2014-11-29, 02:20 AM
Varju:

Varju inspects the map, trying to memorize places of interest: treasure locations, warning signs, etc.

Forrestfire
2014-11-29, 09:46 AM
"What a ludicrous amount of rooms."

Omnicrat
2014-11-29, 03:49 PM
Xanax studdies the map in attentive silence, trying to find some reason to the rhyme.

Arkhaic
2014-11-29, 05:03 PM
"The entrance and exit points are both randomized." Stephen shuffles through a few pages of notes. "They always form within a certain distance of each other—five to six rooms, roughly."

Omnicrat
2014-11-29, 10:56 PM
Looking up, Well that's good to know, at least we won't have to be searching the entire thing for a way out.

Taveena
2014-11-30, 07:54 AM
Liling remains mostly silent, though she's fiercely concentrating on the map.

Arkhaic
2014-11-30, 05:35 PM
Stephen rolls the map into its case and hands it to whoever is standing nearest. "We should be going, the carriage is waiting outside."

A short while later, in the carriage... "So, have you picked a team name yet?"

It takes several hours for the carriage to reach the dungeon, a freestanding doorway on the outskirts of the city.

ashifter
2014-12-04, 09:21 PM
Varju:

"Uhhhh... How about Team Awesome?"

Forrestfire
2014-12-04, 09:50 PM
"Well, I... ah... have no idea..."

Omnicrat
2014-12-06, 12:49 AM
With a charming smile, I was thinking something more like "Dragonshadow Guild" or "Delvers Unlimited." I'm partial to the first name, myself, but this is a decision we must all agree on.

ashifter
2014-12-06, 12:58 AM
Varju:

Varju nods thoughtfully and says,

"Interesting, I'd be fine with either of them. Out of curiosity, how did you come up with those names?"

Omnicrat
2014-12-06, 11:53 PM
With enthused passion, Dragonshadow is evocative of power, mystery, and wonder, along with a touch of darkness. I feel its a name with a certain dark nobility to it, and given what you all have told me of yourselves so far, it seems to fit us quit well, noticeably become less exuberant about what he has to say, but no less intent, Delvers Unlimited give the impression of being particularly skilled at delving, which is what we are all here to do, clapping then clasping his hands together while saying, So! What do the rest of you think?

Taveena
2014-12-08, 11:07 PM
"The former sounds like we are being outclassed by others. The latter sounds like an business company more than an adventuring party," Liling says, bitterly. "But I have no better suggestions. I abstain."

firebrandtoluc
2014-12-09, 03:21 PM
As long as they call us victorious, I don't mind what else people call us.

Forrestfire
2015-01-03, 02:52 AM
"Oh, right! One second, I'll be right back."

Jensa quickly walks away, returning a few minutes later in an entirely different outfit. Gone are the simple pants and tunic she was wearing before, with a much fancier assortment of clothing replacing them. A leather jacket embossed with swirly metal designs and small plates on the shoulders and elbows that serve more for form than function. A hybrid between a shirt and a cape, over a different tunic. A belt holding it all together, but not really holding everything up. Overall, the outfit tows the line between practical and not... Jensa looks a bit embarrassed to be in it, in fact. She still carries her black umbrella with her, but appears to have disposed of the other clothing or stored it somewhere, and as normal, her shadow doesn't quite seem to match the rest of her.

"... It was a gift from my, ah, family. They said that if I was going to be an adventurer I needed to look the part..."

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-a3zfPpyWmSc/Ut03F-K17lI/AAAAAAAAB2k/vNjhKO3Eszk/s1600/throne_of_glass_by_fetsch-d64rvp4.jpg

Arkhaic
2015-01-03, 05:11 AM
The door-to-nowhere shuts firmly behind you, and all is gray. There is no air, no sound, and you can hardly feel your own body. 6 pairs of feet land on the rough-hewn flagstone, and walls of smooth marble tale the place of the gray. You can feel the cool air on your skin, the now-familiar pressure of the underground weighing on you, and a slight breeze blowing from the north corridor. Also, a waist-high fire elemental gibbers madly in Ignan as it prepares to leap at someone's face. Probably yours.

ashifter
2015-01-04, 10:34 PM
Varju:

Varju smiles and relaxes as the cool, soothing darkness envelopes him. His smile drops briefly upon seeing the fire elemental and he prepares to dodge should the fire elemental attack. While doing this, he holds his palms before him in what he hopes is a passive stance and says to the fire elemental,

"Hello good sir, please excuse our rude entrance, we mean you no harm."

He repeats this in Draconic.

[roll0]

Total Defense Action for an AC of 20.

Forrestfire
2015-01-05, 12:04 AM
Jensa gives him a look somewhere between amusement and disdain. "... Really? That's our opening? It's a dungeon monster..."

"Although it hasn't attacked us yet. Maybe it worked?"

Arkhaic
2015-01-05, 12:23 AM
The elemental ignores Varju entirely and leaps at Liling. It hits with a decent amount of force, but between her armor and the limited space the attack is entirely ineffectual.

Attack missed but hit touch AC; it would have hit had there been room for a partial charge.

Taveena
2015-01-05, 12:39 AM
Liling takes a step back, slashing at the elemental with her polearm. As she does so, it becomes wreathed in a sickly, blood-red energy, which rapidly fades.

Free: 5 foot step back.
Standard: Primal Wrath strike. [roll0] to hit. If it lands, [roll1] damage.
Swift: Elemental is now Claimed. Liling regains 1 maneuver (Primal Wrath). It will now take 1d4 damage each round at the beginning of Liling's turn.

Arkhaic
2015-01-05, 01:07 AM
The elemental drops to the ground, barely clinging to its half-existence. A cursory glance around the room reveals 3 archways leading out of the room, and several runes scratched into the walls.

"there is no way out"

ashifter
2015-01-05, 01:52 AM
Varju:

Varju shrugged and chuckled.

"Well you never know. No matter."

He examines the runes and says,

"There is no way out. Hmm how quaint."

Varju examines each archway further for traps or indications of what lies ahead.

[roll0]

Arkhaic
2015-01-05, 01:57 AM
A skittering noise can be heard from the west-most north passageway*, but you otherwise notice nothing abnormal.

*look at the map

firebrandtoluc
2015-01-06, 06:12 PM
I will lead the way. Unless someone wants to scout ahead? *slurp* Traps are likely here, correct?

Forrestfire
2015-01-06, 06:58 PM
"That's what I've been told. One second, I can check."

Jensa waves her hand then closes her eyes in concentration. Her shadow lengthens towards the west-most north passageway, then abruptly "splashes" upwards, like it was made of liquid. A moment later, the shadows form themselves into the shape of a pony made of a dense black fog, while Jensa's own shadow returns to normal. Jensa points down the hallway and says "Check for traps, then let us know if there's anything down there." The small horse charges down it, intentionally crashing itself into the walls on either side as it does so.

Standard action to dismiss eidolon, standard action next round (I'm assuming it's ok to just compress them) to use Shadow Summons I to get a Shadow Pony, then directing it to double move and bash itself into the walls in an attempt to set off any traps in the way (and also to whinny loudly if it gets attacked or something).

ashifter
2015-01-06, 10:20 PM
Varju:

"I will also scout ahead."

Stealth:[roll0]
Perception:[roll1]

Arkhaic
2015-01-07, 08:14 PM
Neither the horse nor Varju manage to find anything of note—some empty rotting crates, nothing else. The clicking noise stopped as soon as Jensa's horse crashed into the walls; it doesn't seem to have originated in this room.
You're in room 279

Omnicrat
2015-01-08, 02:04 AM
Well that doesn't exactly bode well... I put 5 silvers on that clicking stopping being some horrible thing hearing us and deciding to sneak up on us, anyone wanna take the bet?

firebrandtoluc
2015-01-08, 06:35 PM
If it's smart, it will sneak away.

ashifter
2015-01-08, 10:01 PM
Varju:

Varju goes up to the door to room 47 and checks for traps and any sounds.

[roll0]

Forrestfire
2015-01-10, 10:29 AM
Jensa follows him into the room and collects her shadow summon, mentally counting down the seconds until it vanishes.

ashifter
2015-01-11, 01:34 AM
Varju:

Varju sticks close to the wall and inspects the room.

Move to (3,1 assuming first coordinate is x-axis)

[roll0]

Arkhaic
2015-01-11, 04:07 AM
An earthen hand smoothly slips from inside the wall and strikes Jensa's leg, knocking her onto the floor.

Forrestfire
2015-01-11, 10:53 AM
"Ack-"

Jensa catches herself and scurries a bit away from the wall (but within her square, obviously, since it's off-turn).

Omnicrat
2015-01-14, 01:02 AM
With a wide grin, Xanax says Time for some fun! before showting We're coming! Xanax then proceeds to run into the next room and stand beside the door so he can be easily followed by the remainder of the party.

Not seeing anything actually in the room, Xanax confusedly asks, What happened? Did you just trip?

Ear-piercing scream readied at things/limbs coming out of the walls. This TECHNICALLY doesn't happen until after the above question is answered, but this will save everyone a lot of time.

Forrestfire
2015-01-14, 01:04 AM
Jensa quickly picks herself up, "I'm fine. Something's in the walls."

She then turns and pats her shadowy pony summon, saying "Could you please kick it if it tries to attack me again?" before grabbing her closed umbrella by the center and aiming its point at the wall and ground.

Posting out of turn because Arkhaic said so, as Omni is also just readying actions.
The shadow pony is using the aid another action on Jensa's AC: [roll0] against DC 10.

Jensa stands up as a move action and readies an action to cast Ray of Frost at the monster if it shows itself.

Arkhaic
2015-01-14, 03:45 AM
Something in the wall next to Jensa chatters again, a quick and rhythmic series of short and long sounds.

You can see a dust cloud down a side-passage, far too thick to see through. The general lack of dirt and dust in the dungeon makes it a bit conspicuous.

Taveena
2015-01-14, 04:09 AM
Liling scowls at the noise, readying her weapon.

Arkhaic
2015-01-19, 02:58 PM
The stone hand reappears, blindly groping for a target—and leaving the creature open to counterattack, if only for an instant. A moment thereafter, the cyclone of dust and dirt rushes past and through Varju to the center of the room.

[SPOILER=Mechanics]Varju takes 1 damage, which heals for unknown reasons at the end of his next turn.
Readied actions resolve before the cyclone does its thing.[SPOILER]

Forrestfire
2015-01-19, 03:03 PM
Jensa snaps her umbrella towards the stone hand. A thin blue beam erupts from its tip, followed by a small, cylindrical shard of ice, that appears, hangs in the air for a moment, then launches itself down the beam.

Ray of Frost, [roll0] ranged touch for [roll1] Cold and [roll2] Piercing damage.

Arkhaic
2015-01-19, 03:10 PM
The shard barely misses the wildly flailing arm, striking the floor with enough force to leave a dent in the stone.

Omnicrat
2015-01-19, 05:40 PM
Xanax's mouth moves as if whispering, but no sound is heard by the rest of the part...

In draconic, Your stone is brittle

[roll0]