PDA

View Full Version : ArtOp I: Deadly Jester In Rain

Fax Celestis
2014-08-26, 08:41 PM
Welcome to ArtOp, where we take a picture and make builds to fit the pic!

Unlike other competitions, this one is rather informal: there's no time duration and no scoring system aside from two things: style, and association with the picture. Yes, you could throw Wizard 20 at every ArtOp and come out okay, but where's the fun in that?

ArtOp I's subject:

http://i.imgur.com/2OvR5.png

Remember, we're using the build to tell the picture's story, not demonstrate how many times we can get the rules through the wringer.

ArtOp I will run until I feel like putting up ArtOp II.

Happy Building!

LordErebus12
2014-08-26, 09:16 PM
Welcome to ArtOp, where we take a picture and make builds to fit the pic!

Unlike other competitions, this one is rather informal: there's no time duration and no scoring system aside from two things: style, and association with the picture. Yes, you could throw Wizard 20 at every ArtOp and come out okay, but where's the fun in that?

ArtOp I's subject:

*Pic*

Remember, we're using the build to tell the picture's story, not demonstrate how many times we can get the rules through the wringer.

ArtOp I will run until I feel like putting up ArtOp II.

Happy Building!

Jester 20th (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Jester_(3.5e_Class))

I put it through 42 times... thats the answer.

Feint's End
2014-08-26, 09:27 PM
what's the thing in the right hand supposed to be? A gun? There are actually quite a few ways to build that character I guess.

Fax Celestis
2014-08-26, 09:29 PM
Could be! Could be a truncheon too, or something.

Zaq
2014-08-26, 10:15 PM
Is that Shiro Tagachi? With, like, a messed-up face and/or a mask?

Maybe I've just been thinking a lot about Guild Wars lately, but that looks like Shiro to me.

Fax Celestis
2014-08-26, 10:17 PM
Could be! I just came across it in one of my DeviantArt character art binges and stuffed it in my imgur album.

One Step Two
2014-08-26, 11:16 PM
I love this idea!
For this challenge I am going to fuse two of my favorite flavorful, if somewhat sub optimal prestige classes, and pepper in some fear stacking shenanigans. Also, borrowing heavily from Drow of the Underdark

Human Factotum 4 / Zhentarim Hit-and-Run Sneak-Attack Fighter 3 / Avenging Executioner 5 / Master of Masks 6 / Fighter +2

Necessary Feats:
Imperious Command
Versatile Combatant
Able Learner

Recommended gear:
Armor with Greater Shadow, Greater Silent moves and Fearsome Quality
Rapier with the Assassination and Stunning Surge Properties
Hand Crossbow with Assassination and Quickload
Rogues vest
Deathstrike Bracers

Notes to ask the DM:
If the Rapid Intimidation ability of the Avenging Executioner, and the fearsome armor enchantment stack for swift action intimidation. If not, leave the enchant off.

Net result:
Good hide and Move Silently, and sneak attack that's quite fearsome. Combined with Fear effects from Avenging Executioner and the Zhentarim Intimidate bonuses, means you can strike from the shadows, murder a man in the midst of his allies, and while they are screaming in terror, cut them all down with bloody efficiency. Your pseudo-capstone is the Extended intimidation ability of Zhentarim Fighter means you can appear in the dark of night following your prey for a few days, until they fail against your indimitation, giving you bigger bonuses against them later.
The Master of Masks making use of the Assassin mask shores up your sneak attack and stealth skills, and the Jester mask for your signature look, plus a couple of others to help round out your skills, such as they Gladiator, Lord, Archmage or High Priest.

If I have more time later, I might make a Gish Variant.

sideswipe
2014-08-27, 06:35 AM
from the garb, the overall poise the use of finesse type weapons and the picture just shouts charisma (although the class does not but should) i would say swashbuckler would work, as its an attempt at pirate, and they are good on bad ground. this character seems to be perfectly fine stood on rubble and it being sturdy.

elonin
2014-08-27, 06:42 AM
How about Dread Pirate with Swashbuckler as a base?

paperarmor
2014-08-28, 09:41 AM
Similar to an above poster I went with a monster clown type that uses fear.

Dread Necormancer 6/Avenging Executioner 4/ Dread witch 4/ Unseen seer 6

Feats: Fell Frighten, Divine Metamagic, Darkstalker and of course Practiced Spellcaster.

the build uses spells like Kelgore's Gravemist and other damaging effects to enable sudden strikes with a bit of stealth you can sneak up to an enemy activate the fear aura and flatfoot the enemy. Base attack is a bit low for a gish and you only cast as a 15th level dread necromancer so it could be improved a lot but that's my take on the guy.

One Step Two
2014-08-28, 06:04 PM
Similar to an above poster I went with a monster clown type that uses fear.

Dread Necormancer 6/Avenging Executioner 4/ Dread witch 4/ Unseen seer 6

Feats: Fell Frighten, Divine Metamagic, Darkstalker and of course Practiced Spellcaster.

the build uses spells like Kelgore's Gravemist and other damaging effects to enable sudden strikes with a bit of stealth you can sneak up to an enemy activate the fear aura and flatfoot the enemy. Base attack is a bit low for a gish and you only cast as a 15th level dread necromancer so it could be improved a lot but that's my take on the guy.

Heeeey, I was gonna use Dread witch in my gish build, stop reading my mind! :smalltongue:

However, much better than my intended approach using Bard entry. I like it!

paperarmor
2014-08-28, 09:59 PM
Heeeey, I was gonna use Dread witch in my gish build, stop reading my mind! :smalltongue:

However, much better than my intended approach using Bard entry. I like it!

Glad you like it. Although a Bardic gish would have better base attack and some more options i.e my build loses out on 9ths for a gimmick that I'm not sure is really worth it anyway. DMM Fell frighten pulls a lot of weight there. If your build goes like Bard 5/ Dread Witch 5/ Sublime Chord 2/ whatever full caster prc 8 you get fear goodies and 9ths without much trouble.

One Step Two
2014-08-28, 10:52 PM
Glad you like it. Although a Bardic gish would have better base attack and some more options i.e my build loses out on 9ths for a gimmick that I'm not sure is really worth it anyway. DMM Fell frighten pulls a lot of weight there. If your build goes like Bard 5/ Dread Witch 5/ Sublime Chord 2/ whatever full caster prc 8 you get fear goodies and 9ths without much trouble.

I think I'd end up going with Abjurant Champion 5, this will round out the Base attack bonus and increase your defenses, and just for a little bit more Oomph, Swiftblade 3, which is also full BAB, but requires picking up dodge and mobility to really make it shine.