PDA

View Full Version : Grand Prince Montoyon Gebui's Most Fabulous Arrival! [Year 441] [EMPIRE!]

QuintonBeck
2014-08-26, 10:17 PM
Sah'Ra [441]

Sah'ra was to most Guilderenes who did not live there a place of little value in the Guilderene Expanse more fit to barbarians and backwards folk who sought solace and solitude over value, in other words, madmen. While it was true some Guilderenes who did settle there were Guilderene "madmen" the majority were only as mad as the next aspiring Merchant Prince. The trade posts and caravans and excessive Lacertal milking businesses and leather curing shops spoke not of a place beset by malcontents and wild goblins, but a land as Guilderene as Guilder itself with unscrupulous merchants on every corner of every ramshackle town that had been cobbled together to serve as a temporary trade post and had enough lasting power to establish itself as a proper town.

The Afreet natives scurried through these townposts as messengers and fetchers for the powerful Guilderene presence. Though once a united people savage and brutal, by and large the Afreet had been broken by the foreign culture and those who proclaimed themselves loyal to Inigo when he slayed the Afreet chieftain those many years ago and their children who had grown up Guilderene now swore loyalty to those who lined their pockets and paid their wages just as any proper man from Guilder would do. While some Afreet had resigned their peace with the Guilderenes and denounced Inigo as an improper chieftain these extremists were a rare sight, often more concerned with surviving in the barren Grand Canyons than striking against the growing Guilderene presence in the Great Dune.

Most travel experienced by the region was by fools, adventurers, and heroic historians traveling east to explore for the lands and treasures before the Exodus. Besides Eastern Fools as they were locally known collectively, the region saw the north/south travel of slave caravans and Glazfell payments for their human chattel during times of storm and poor weather when the sea routes proved to treacherous. The Guilderenes may have had disparate beliefs over slavery at their cores, but overshadowing and ruling their lives was the great desire to capture and enlarge their own value, a point which saw the townposts of barren Sah'ra become like any Guilderene facility points of much mercantile dealings and trade profiting off the needs of all who passed through them.

Yet despite even the words of the most cocksure entrepreneur that Sah'ra would one day become bigger than Guilder all were surprised when for the first time in the history of the region a caravan came arriving from the east.

The first reports said that a horde of 20,000 warriors marched upon the eastern border, the next a moving palace attended to by 100,000 scantily clad servants bore down on Sah'ra, another claimed a wave of green skinned half orcs were coming likely to beg forgiveness for their full orc brother's crimes and pledge themselves to the first man who dared to speak with them (various claims to be this man and in command of the approaching horde followed subsequently) Eventually however the posturing and alerts and tall tales were put to a rest as the western retinue arrived on the crest of the Great Dune, looking down upon the largest townpost of the region.

The retinue was indeed massive, at least 5,000 in number by the best estimates of the Guilderene number crunchers present. It was composed of a great assortment of peoples, though all appeared similar in origin, greenish skin, orange to red eyes, and dressed in a style unfamiliar to these lands. Many rode upon great beasts with humps sitting upon their backs and long necks that made them appear to be some strange foreign horse. Those upon the beasts wore great wraps of cloth, turbans bound about their head and pinned in place with jewels and precious metals unknown to many of the common Guilderenes and Afreet bearing witness to the most strange arrival. The foreign retinue parted slowly and forward came a great litter, carried by strong and lightly clothed men of similar bearing as the rest of the retinue though without headwear and skulls shaved clean and glistening with sweat and upon whom sat a large and opulent man amid a great pile of pillows. Around him sprawled women, green skinned and orange haired and eyed, in various states of undress, curled up on the platform near the man who sat in its center. Upon his head was a greater turban than any of his attendants and thick, rich clothing draping loosely over his large body as well as a multitude of shining and ostentatious rings upon each of his fingers and bangles of jewelry hanging from his wrists and neck.

From the side one of the foreigners rode forward on his foreign horse, taking a great speaking trumpet from a saddlebag and putting it to his lips, he announced the presence of the retinue, though doubtless all were now aware of them. His voice was loud and proud and his diction clean, but his words spoke of an unfamiliarity with the trade language of the Known World.

"All shall henceforth and always forevermore hail in peace and prosperity the great and grand and good and marvelous, his eminence and most flatulence homebringer and crafter of finery and good things enjoyed by all men and children and women and camels all together, Grand Prince Montoyon, Gebui!"

With the announcement the retinue descended upon the town, riding in with such purpose and speed that were it not for their apparent unarmored and unarmed nature and clearly peaceful intentions they might be mistaken for raiders. The Grand Prince Montoyon was carried slowly into the town upon his litter gesturing wildly and shouting in a foreign tongue to his many attendants who rode up next to him and disappeared again only to be replaced by another.

Eventually it was made clear to the Guilderenes, those who hadn't been swept up in the flying of gold and silver towards the purchase of the various wares they wouldn't have asked more than two copper for from a native, that the man upon the litter wished to speak with whosoever was in charge of the town.

SamBurke
2014-08-27, 12:02 PM
In the center of the hovel sat a very, very, annoyed Buttercup. Profits were turning quite slowly; and the expansion had in fact become a crawl over recent months. She was depending on that market corner, and there simply weren't enough lacertals to do the job.

What was worse was the foreign influence; feral Afreet and wandering orc bands. It's hard to milk a sand-dragon when it's ramping mad from the raids, or sand calls of the goblins. She shook her head, trying to find a spin on things to sell to the shareholders. Perhaps going public this early was a bad idea...?

No, no. She'd founded herself here at the Great Dune for a reason. First off, because her taking of the town was symbolic: it wouldn't be that dirk Inigo's mark on history, it would be hers. And second, that dune held great secrets, if she could just unlock them...

The sound of the trumpets and thundering hooves caught her attention many miles away, and she stood at the top of the tower, staring out through one of the new-fangled lenses from Glazfell. "This is just what I need..." She said aloud, to no one but the devil on her shoulder.

When, at long last, the riders entered the town, Buttercup had been setting up for quite a while. Lining the streets were her trusted salesmen and laborers, all in their best clothes. The Afreet had protested quite a bit at being forced to stand in the sun for this long, but a few looks and growls had gotten them under control quickly.

There were even Lacertals --very well restrained-- to show off the natural resources of the region. Given that they were the only thing that really lived on the land, it was fitting to show it off. But also hung gaudily everywhere were the imports that she'd arranged. They'd broken into the cana beans and the osuro hastily, but there were drinks of all sort everywhere. Peddlers at the ready, salesmen and hawkers lurking in the sidestreets to pounce on a man with too much money and too little sense.

There were legitimate products all around, to be certain: the inns were hastily setting up tents and digging through their cellars to find the Tears.

In fact, suspended above the street were a particular favorite invention of Buttercup's: Teardrops, a Glazfelli prototype that kept the town's mid-day inferno at least slightly bearable. Besides that, the melting ice split the sun's rays in a delightful color pattern, dancing across the streets.

She rode through the chaos of humanity --and goblinity-- on her Tri-horn's most elegant carrier. Whoever this man was, his importance could not be overstated... He would have to stay. Indeed, there was just the perfect place to put him... Buttercup smiled widely and magnanimously from her reclining position, sipping on Heartwine and stirring Montoyon's cup by hand. "Hello, and welcome to my paradise, dear Prince. Shall we speak from the cool of my palace?"

QuintonBeck
2014-08-27, 12:36 PM
"Rash'ato yan masa vin! Oy ata veen misha misha oy saka!" the large Prince Montoyon called out excitedly, gesturing wildly with his hands towards the woman who had addressed him.

The same herald who had announced the horde's arrival sat on the back of the foreign-horse next to the Prince, straining with listening to Buttercup and the Prince. He spoke quickly to the Grand Prince in the foreign language and once more the Grand Prince gestured jovially and replied with another boisterous string of foreign words.

"You look to be leading of these people," the Herald said, "The Grand Prince Montoyon shall speak with you in your phallus. Lead onward."

As they moved forward the Grand Prince smiles at Buttercup and speaks animatedly about something you don't understand. The women sprawled around him giggle a few times as he speaks.

"His flatulence wish to know was it yours who captured Khaboss Turgo Skulshater and ladens honor upon you if such is truth. Grand Prince is hoping you still have Khaboss skull for Grand Prince to shatter his own for being backwards killer and moron almighty."

SamBurke
2014-08-27, 05:49 PM
"Rash'ato yan masa vin! Oy ata veen misha misha oy saka!" the large Prince Montoyon called out excitedly, gesturing wildly with his hands towards the woman who had addressed him.

The same herald who had announced the horde's arrival sat on the back of the foreign-horse next to the Prince, straining with listening to Buttercup and the Prince. He spoke quickly to the Grand Prince in the foreign language and once more the Grand Prince gestured jovially and replied with another boisterous string of foreign words.

"You look to be leading of these people," the Herald said, "The Grand Prince Montoyon shall speak with you in your phallus. Lead onward."

As they moved forward the Grand Prince smiles at Buttercup and speaks animatedly about something you don't understand. The women sprawled around him giggle a few times as he speaks.

"His flatulence wish to know was it yours who captured Khaboss Turgo Skulshater and ladens honor upon you if such is truth. Grand Prince is hoping you still have Khaboss skull for Grand Prince to shatter his own for being backwards killer and moron almighty."
She whirls her handsI to him. "I do not speak the Grand Prince's tongue, but I can approximate as best as possible... I was certainly involved in the battle down south against the orcs there, but in all the heads I chopped, I never stopped to take names... perhaps you could describe this ugly Skulshater fool, and I could match his neck to my slash." Buttercup laughed and unstrapped her sword for view, and then passed it lazily to one of the attendants.

QuintonBeck
2014-08-27, 08:39 PM
The translator conveyed Buttercup's words, or presumably he did a decent enough approximation as the Grand Prince laughed heartily and responded back to his translator.

"His imminent master says it is smart not to stick on the names of dead idiots. That he is dead is enough to please us all. His high rising poobah wishes greatness upon your nation of Tzalteclan! He has come to laden the orc killers with much gold!"

SamBurke
2014-08-28, 01:58 PM
The translator conveyed Buttercup's words, or presumably he did a decent enough approximation as the Grand Prince laughed heartily and responded back to his translator.

"His imminent master says it is smart not to stick on the names of dead idiots. That he is dead is enough to please us all. His high rising poobah wishes greatness upon your nation of Tzalteclan! He has come to laden the orc killers with much gold!"

She smiles and does a small bow with one hand. Hard to do much more when reclining resplendently on over-showy carpets. "This is a hard land, but we have carved out a place amongst it. However, I feel it is necessary to correct you: this is the Sah'raan Expanse, some days north of Tzaltecan. Both we and they have fought great wars with the orcs and goblins, however, and would be most interested in the... benefits of trade." She smiles and flips her hair in what is interpreted as seduction amongst the Guilderenes.

QuintonBeck
2014-08-28, 03:15 PM
She smiles and does a small bow with one hand. Hard to do much more when reclining resplendently on over-showy carpets. "This is a hard land, but we have carved out a place amongst it. However, I feel it is necessary to correct you: this is the Sah'raan Expanse, some days north of Tzaltecan. Both we and they have fought great wars with the orcs and goblins, however, and would be most interested in the... benefits of trade." She smiles and flips her hair in what is interpreted as seduction amongst the Guilderenes.

The translator looks confused and communicates not directly with the Grand Prince but with another aide who also takes on a look of confusion. The Grand Prince shouts at them both and they turn to address their leader, speaking rapidly. The Grand Prince's face grows angry and barks at the new aide, pulling from a bag a relatively hefty jewel and winging it hard at the head of the non-translator aide, smacking him square in the temple and knocking him from his camel, blood spilling from his wound as he cried out and writhed on the ground.

With a gesture the Grand Prince seemed to open the possession of the gem and the bleeding man's possessions as the half naked women on his litter scurried over one another madly to recover the gem, and pulled at the rich robes and jewels of the man bleeding out on the ground.

As chaos erupted around the man on the ground the Grand Prince returned his attention calmly to his translator and spoke again in his foreign tongue.

"The greatest of all Grand Prince Montoyon apologizes for the offense maybe taken at the mistake. Guilder is just as good and he would be please to do trade with a woman so bountiful and beneficial. His grandness does ask reminder of the phallus mentioned? The sun grows hot on his body and Monto Hebei will soon stink a matter foul soon."

Should the Princess Buttercup bother to look she would see that the wild tearings of the women and the Grand Prince's wound inflicted on the man seemed to have sealed his fate as he lay bleeding profusely from his head, the dry sand eagerly soaking up the liquid and staining the ground a deep crimson.

SamBurke
2014-08-28, 07:39 PM
Buttercup glances at him and turns back to the Grand Prince. "Harsh, perhaps, but decidedly effective. No offense was taken... instead, we find the cool of my palace. I presume that you would be interested in speaking of our trades inside."

She steps down onto the back of a well-trained Lacertal, and walks along its ridged spine to the ground. The Trihorns flanking the entryway to her massive tower bellowed and fell to their knees, as the riders drew bright swords in salute, and trumpeters blew the proud blast reserved for royalty. From above, servant girls fanned the melted mist of true ice down on the procession, giving them a light dousing of cool air, more than enough to relieve hot skin.

The Palace's true greatness was both dwarfed and hidden by the mass of the Great Dune. It lay behind its retaining wall, miles high and broad enough to block the sun for half the day. Beneath this enormous mountain of sand was the greatest bulk of the Palace's area: in fact, most of its rooms were as of yet unexplored. But even those were being aired out even now, the stables re-opened, and busy teams of starving Afreet carving new tunnels and entrances for all of Montoyon's retinue.

"We shall enter, and, presently, your people will have places found for them. Is there anything particular that you request?" asks Buttercup's head of house, a quiet, subservient blonde creature who was ready to attend to every wish.

QuintonBeck
2014-08-29, 03:50 PM
The entourage followed Buttercup inside, the Grand Prince dismounting his litter onto a smaller chair, almost throne-like in style, and continuing to be carried within the deep halls of the sunken palace. At the head servant's voice the Grand Prince looked the girl over appraisingly and spoke to his translator.

"His grandiosity shall have you in his bedchambers tonight," the translator answered, producing a small bag of gold and offering it to the girl.

The Grand Prince spoke again, this time to Buttercup and his aide returned to his side.

"His eminent asks what it is you possess of trade? He had sought Tzalteclan not just to speak of reward for their killing idiot Khaboss but for working of trade for the Creeping Livefire the stupid Sarocs did not trade. What does Guilder have to trade for?"

SamBurke
2014-08-29, 11:49 PM
The girl looked confusedly towards Buttercup, who shrugs. "He's offerin' ya money cause it's your choice. I'd go with 'im though; lotta worse ways to earn your first bag of gold."

The Prince(ss) turns back to her new guest, and grins widely. "Ahhh! Whatever the Prince wishes, I can get my hands on... that said, there are a few new things I think you might find interesting. For example..." She flips a switch, and clouds of cold air pour down from the ceiling, turning the rather warm room into an oasis of perfect temperatures. Those Glazfells and their obsession with cold... "This fantastic device will keep you cool as long as you keep it stocked with "True Ice..." Which I'd be more than delighted to also show you."

Just as an OOC, I don't support Buttercup's beliefs or advice, I'm strongly against them. However, she's an interesting character, and this is how she is, so apologies.

QuintonBeck
2014-08-30, 12:25 AM
I just had this guy kill a man by lobbing a ruby at his head for giving him the wrong directions and then continue on his conversation as casually as ever. I take no offense at a character taking a more libertine view on prostitution :smalltongue:

The Grand Prince took a deep breath of the refreshingly cool air and let it out with a contented sigh.

"Ajan masa jedinz! Apana aja waza ja!" the large man gesticulated wildly.

"His buoyancy should greatly be honored to acquire these 'True Ice' and powers of the breeze. He can speak of trade of Camels, Stained Glass, Stone, and if all is very good Heart Ruby. Magics for magics as fair must be."

SamBurke
2014-08-30, 12:39 AM
I just had this guy kill a man by lobbing a ruby at his head for giving him the wrong directions and then continue on his conversation as casually as ever. I take no offense at a character taking a more libertine view on prostitution :smalltongue:

The Grand Prince took a deep breath of the refreshingly cool air and let it out with a contented sigh.

"Ajan masa jedinz! Apana aja waza ja!" the large man gesticulated wildly.

"His buoyancy should greatly be honored to acquire these 'True Ice' and powers of the breeze. He can speak of trade of Camels, Stained Glass, Stone, and if all is very good Heart Ruby. Magics for magics as fair must be."

That was more just so you were aware of my feels on it, I figured you wouldn't have much objection.

To clarify, that's using the newly minted "Refrigeration tech" which I'll be getting from Glazfell as per the Concordat, and using either True Ice or Tears to power it. I can trade the tech, and fluff-trade the Ice, even though I don't have a natural stack. Is that gonna fly?

"Stone seems grand, and perhaps a few camels for show... but you intrigue me, good Prince... what are these "Heart Rubies" you speak of? My people have heard of no item of compare!"

QuintonBeck
2014-08-30, 10:48 AM
That was more just so you were aware of my feels on it, I figured you wouldn't have much objection.

To clarify, that's using the newly minted "Refrigeration tech" which I'll be getting from Glazfell as per the Concordat, and using either True Ice or Tears to power it. I can trade the tech, and fluff-trade the Ice, even though I don't have a natural stack. Is that gonna fly?

"Stone seems grand, and perhaps a few camels for show... but you intrigue me, good Prince... what are these "Heart Rubies" you speak of? My people have heard of no item of compare!"

I've actually been given permission to make legitimate trades so that probably won't fly, no since you can't trade those right now. Real workable trades will though.

The Grand Prince grinned as his translator conveyed the Merchant Prince's message and spoke with a tone of pride as he answered you in his eastern tongue.

"The Heart Rubies are great and powerful magics," the translator began, "Only 7 Heart Rubies have been brought forth in the lands of the Grand Prince and each is valued at the heads of 100,000 Sarocs in their cheapest," the translator held up his hand and balled it into a fist, "As large like this, glowing with greater power and heat to touching. Our tales say they grant greater power to those who owning of one, nearest immortality, strength of twenty Khaboss, to soar Heaven and speak with Mazha Gupsta. Only one Heart Ruby to trade here and only for reasons of great friendship but cost is still mighty for magics is great mighty."

SamBurke
2014-08-30, 12:29 PM
Ahhh! Gotcha. Well, I can make a fluff gift of a Refrig system and wait until I can trade it at a later date. For now, I think I can make some work out of Dinos and Athletes.

She nods, and waves her hands towards one of her other attendants. "Call in the sky-leapers... T'shara in the lead, please." Buttercup waits, and smiles. "I shall have a small shipment of this technology sent along with you, but while we wait, I would like to show you some of the... other joys of our lands. From the far south, I present to you the most lovely of women, who are more than fit for your retinue, and strong men fit for dancing, fighting, and sports."

With fanfare from behind the wall enter a few choice Maian athletes, all in the prime of their life. They are fine, fine, specimens of human prowess, and Buttercup is eager to demonstrate them... hopefully in a way that doesn't condemn them to slavery. Each of the Maians came with her in hopes of making a lifelong occupation of their skill, and that was what she intended to do.

On the far wall, targets are set up, and some of the warriors outdo each other in throwing knives, spears, shooting arrows, and other military matters. Others perform elaborate dances, with throws and leaps. Still other balance and lift in feats of gymnastic contortion.

When it's done, Buttercup raises one hand. "These are the finest of performers in all of the Expanses... truly worth entertainment for any great Prince."

Aedilred
2014-08-30, 01:08 PM
Ke Hen had begun packing his wares in preparation to run from the oncoming horde of orcs. He wasn't even supposed to be in Sahra'a anyway. He'd abandoned his post in Maos after the Burning - his people were officially neutral in the war, but he knew a number of Shinan served in the Jarrland navy, not least on the Summers' End itself, there had been rumours Governor Martin was planning to join the conflict on the side of the Xiu, and he didn't want to run the risk of reprisals, so he'd gathered his things and headed east away from the sea. When things had quietened down he'd returned to Maos to test the watrers only to find that Tzaltec merchants had taken over his custom base, and the Tzaltec filled his people - and especially him - with some kind of deep existential terror, so he'd stuck things out here in this wretched desert. Business had been reasonably good, since few merchants could be bothered to come this far, but on the other hand, there was a reason few merchants bothered to come this far.

The packing had not gone swiftly enough, no matter how much he chivvied his daughters, and they were still awaiting loading when the easterners arrived. Horror and panic at the size of the approaching retinue soon gave way to relief and then joy as he realised they were here to trade and not to conquer.

"Get it unpacked!" he shouted to Hai Lien, who had just finished sealing up one of the crates. She turned and stared at him with the sort of withering contempt only those in late adolescence can muster for their parents. He gestured wildly in the direction of the newcomers. "Customers, girl! We can be rich, but only if we hurry!"

QuintonBeck
2014-08-30, 01:59 PM
Ahhh! Gotcha. Well, I can make a fluff gift of a Refrig system and wait until I can trade it at a later date. For now, I think I can make some work out of Dinos and Athletes.

She nods, and waves her hands towards one of her other attendants. "Call in the sky-leapers... T'shara in the lead, please." Buttercup waits, and smiles. "I shall have a small shipment of this technology sent along with you, but while we wait, I would like to show you some of the... other joys of our lands. From the far south, I present to you the most lovely of women, who are more than fit for your retinue, and strong men fit for dancing, fighting, and sports."

With fanfare from behind the wall enter a few choice Maian athletes, all in the prime of their life. They are fine, fine, specimens of human prowess, and Buttercup is eager to demonstrate them... hopefully in a way that doesn't condemn them to slavery. Each of the Maians came with her in hopes of making a lifelong occupation of their skill, and that was what she intended to do.

On the far wall, targets are set up, and some of the warriors outdo each other in throwing knives, spears, shooting arrows, and other military matters. Others perform elaborate dances, with throws and leaps. Still other balance and lift in feats of gymnastic contortion.

When it's done, Buttercup raises one hand. "These are the finest of performers in all of the Expanses... truly worth entertainment for any great Prince."

The Grand Prince clapped and laughed happily speaking to his translator.

"The Grand Prince shall make you offer of mighty herd of camels, so fair is herd for herd, what say you to this exchange?"

Ke Hen had begun packing his wares in preparation to run from the oncoming horde of orcs. He wasn't even supposed to be in Sahra'a anyway. He'd abandoned his post in Maos after the Burning - his people were officially neutral in the war, but he knew a number of Shinan served in the Jarrland navy, not least on the Summers' End itself, there had been rumours Governor Martin was planning to join the conflict on the side of the Xiu, and he didn't want to run the risk of reprisals, so he'd gathered his things and headed east away from the sea. When things had quietened down he'd returned to Maos to test the watrers only to find that Tzaltec merchants had taken over his custom base, and the Tzaltec filled his people - and especially him - with some kind of deep existential terror, so he'd stuck things out here in this wretched desert. Business had been reasonably good, since few merchants could be bothered to come this far, but on the other hand, there was a reason few merchants bothered to come this far.

The packing had not gone swiftly enough, no matter how much he chivvied his daughters, and they were still awaiting loading when the easterners arrived. Horror and panic at the size of the approaching retinue soon gave way to relief and then joy as he realised they were here to trade and not to conquer.

"Get it unpacked!" he shouted to Hai Lien, who had just finished sealing up one of the crates. She turned and stared at him with the sort of withering contempt only those in late adolescence can muster for their parents. He gestured wildly in the direction of the newcomers. "Customers, girl! We can be rich, but only if we hurry!"

Excited Easterners swarmed the stands of the local merchants, including the unpacking stand of Ke Han.

"Heh sha, heh sha!" one of the foreigners in a small fez shouted, shaking a container of Niemidaland Spices.

His shouts drew attention from a small chunk of the horde who rushed over and began to tear into the pieces on display. Gold and rubies began to be tossed at the merchant and his daughter.

A foreigner in a turban, pinned with a jewel the size of a thumb and dressed better than the rest of those purchasing items pushed his way to the front and spoke in a heavy accent.

"How much?" he held a container of the spices up for inspection and with his other hand pointed at the merchant's young daughter.

Aedilred
2014-08-30, 03:37 PM
The money was even more forthcoming than Ke Hen had imagined. It was all he and Hai Lien could do to serve the onrushing customers, while Ba Yen tried to keep them provisioned. After a few minutes they gave up trying to unpack the barrels into any kind of meaningful display. and just broke them open and served the spices directly. Ke Hen's merchant brain was already turning. The rubies alone here would indeed be enough to make him rich; the gold was just a bonus. Forget Maos, he could go to Propinlonge or Emerald City, or even just back home and retire, but assuming this lot were spending with similar lavishness all over town, as soon as the rubies made it back to the west they'd crash the market. The greatest riches would belong to those who got their gains out first.

He waved to the carter's boy who he'd paid to help them pack. "Unload all the barrels, keep loading the crates, trunks and strongboxes!"

"We'll keep trading until we ran out of wares or customers," he said to Hai Lien, "then we'll leave as we planned." She glanced at him in slight confusion, but he didn't have time to explain now.

A foreigner in a turban, pinned with a jewel the size of a thumb and dressed better than the rest of those purchasing items pushed his way to the front and spoke in a heavy accent.

"How much?" he held a container of the spices up for inspection and with his other hand pointed at the merchant's young daughter.
He'd been trading spices for long enough that he barely even needed the scales any more, although some customers preferred to know they weren't being cheated - not that unorthodox weights were particularly unusual in this part of the world. This man looked like the sort who wouldn't care what the scales said so long as he felt the price was about fair, so he held up four fingers and gestured at the scales as if to suggest he was happy to verify precise weight if necessary. Then he realised that that might not have been what the man meant.

Fortunately Hai Lien hadn't noticed, and his mouth was half-open to refuse, when he remembered that foreigners might do things differently, and this wasn't necessarily such an insult as it would have been back home. Further information was needed, so he assumed an expression of puzzlement.

"How much for what?"

SamBurke
2014-08-30, 05:40 PM
This is OOC for you as well, but I opened up space for doing the trades this round instead of next, so if you want to, we can do it now. Other than that Athletes/Camels sounds good.

Buttercup smiles, and motions for her accountant to begin the paperwork. "There'll be logistics to work out, but I'm certain that I can send you a fine supply. But let me show you what else there is in the Expanses..." She turns, saunters to the parapet, and spins back to face the room.

Raising her arms, she signals one of the men in the courtyard below. First comes a shout, then a pounding thunder in the ground, seemingly strong enough to shake the palace to the ground, a gigantic head comes DOWN into view of the window, stretching from even further above. The massive head shakes and begins to roar, shaking the windows even further and blasting the misty air out the other side.

http://s2.goodfon.su/wallpaper/previews-middle/323862.jpg

Then, Buttercup claps her hands, and the sound stops. "Sit!" she commands. The creature backs up from the window and crouches. "Smile." The rider whispers a word into the side of the monster's head, and it draws back a set of reptilian lips to reveal 9-inch teeth in a 6-foot spread.

"There's no style like Guilder's style," Buttercup says. She holds up a hand expectantly, and the rider hands her the next exhibition: a glittering golden-handled riding crop. "There shall be nothing but the best for a fine trade partner... why settle for anything else, when you can have gold?" She turns the crop around, and presents it to Montoyon.

"Besides, a creature as magnificent as the Tyranid will only answer to a command and commander worthy of it. Shall we ride?"

QuintonBeck
2014-08-30, 06:17 PM
*snip*

"Spice and girl," the foreigner intoned, the sounds labored, "Package deal?" his expression spoke of an uncertainty in using a local colloquialism he must have picked up from wherever he had learned the Known Trade Tongue.

*snip*

Okay, I'll get it added in.

The Grand Prince had come to stand a step behind Buttercup when the great beast lowered its head to the window he looked panicked and gripped at a hard and sharp edged outline only visible from his hand pressing in on his robe. As the Merchant Princess commanded the beast he leaned back forward to look out and admire the beast's docility.

The Grand Prince Montoyon looked at the golden crop and tentatively took it from Buttercup's hands, examining it thoroughly.

"Ayanya mas oy ata mazak hasi hasa ayan," he said in what sounded like an appreciative voice, then he grinned and pointed the crop towards the window, "Heh sha!"

He lumbered towards the window, eager to sit upon the large and fearsome beast.

SamBurke
2014-08-30, 06:39 PM
She nods, shouting commands in Sah'raan to the loyal Afreet on the beast. It lumbers in a circle, presenting its tail to climb onto. Buttercup leads the way, using an attached assist ladder to make her way to the four-person saddle. "Only enough space for two of your girls, I'm afraid," she says with a sly smile. Not that the girls were on the forefront of his mind at that precise moment anyway.

Aedilred
2014-08-30, 06:51 PM
"Spice and girl," the foreigner intoned, the sounds labored, "Package deal?" his expression spoke of an uncertainty in using a local colloquialism he must have picked up from wherever he had learned the Known Trade Tongue.

Ke Hen hesitated, not least because he could see Hai Lien had overheard the foreigner's words and was now paying attention, while continuing to serve customers nonetheless.

He looked over towards her then back to the customer. "What for? Servant? Cupbearer" he asked, cringing inwardly at the likely response, not so much for its content as the crude way it would probably be delivered. Still, it was worth asking. Perhaps he planned to marry her and was offering a dowry. It was pretty unlikely, but he'd seen enough in his life that he was prepared for many possibilities.

QuintonBeck
2014-08-30, 07:17 PM
She nods, shouting commands in Sah'raan to the loyal Afreet on the beast. It lumbers in a circle, presenting its tail to climb onto. Buttercup leads the way, using an attached assist ladder to make her way to the four-person saddle. "Only enough space for two of your girls, I'm afraid," she says with a sly smile. Not that the girls were on the forefront of his mind at that precise moment anyway.

The portly Prince ambles up the tail and manages to haul himself onto the beast's back. His eyes were wide, marveling at the view from the back of the creature and he seemed not to notice Buttercup's voice. The Translator tried to draw the Prince's attention, no doubt to request permission to join his lord on the beast for purposes of translation but the Grand Prince did not see him and began to wave the riding crop wildly, smacking the beast's side in an effort to make it move.

Ke Hen hesitated, not least because he could see Hai Lien had overheard the foreigner's words and was now paying attention, while continuing to serve customers nonetheless.

He looked over towards her then back to the customer. "What for? Servant? Cupbearer" he asked, cringing inwardly at the likely response, not so much for its content as the crude way it would probably be delivered. Still, it was worth asking. Perhaps he planned to marry her and was offering a dowry. It was pretty unlikely, but he'd seen enough in his life that he was prepared for many possibilities.

The foreigner's face twisted in thought.

"Gift. Grand Princes Montoyons enjoy gifts. Some harem, some cook," he looked hopeful that he might negotiate this deal, "Good price. Not Monto, not Saroc, good price."

Aedilred
2014-08-30, 07:47 PM
The foreigner's face twisted in thought.

"Gift. Grand Princes Montoyons enjoy gifts. Some harem, some cook," he looked hopeful that he might negotiate this deal, "Good price. Not Monto, not Saroc, good price."

When put like that, it didn't sound so bad, but some combination of paternalistic feeling and a long-dormant national pride restrained him from taking the negotiations any further. He shook his head.

"Not for sale," he said, moving his hand in a gesture of finality. "Spices only. My people are no slaves," he added more loudly, as if trying to compensate for his moral weakness in considering a deal by speaking clearly, but still trying not to offend, just to make sure he was heard. He thumped his chest twice, and pointed to his daughters. "Free man. Free girls."

QuintonBeck
2014-08-30, 08:53 PM
When put like that, it didn't sound so bad, but some combination of paternalistic feeling and a long-dormant national pride restrained him from taking the negotiations any further. He shook his head.

"Not for sale," he said, moving his hand in a gesture of finality. "Spices only. My people are no slaves," he added more loudly, as if trying to compensate for his moral weakness in considering a deal by speaking clearly, but still trying not to offend, just to make sure he was heard. He thumped his chest twice, and pointed to his daughters. "Free man. Free girls."

The man threw his hands up apologetically,

"Free," he pointed to his own chest, Free," he pointed back at Ke Hen, "Free?" he asked pointing to the spices and smiling broadly.

Aedilred
2014-08-30, 09:13 PM
Ke Hen could think very fast when he needed to. He'd already taken more than enough money - which didn't mean he wouldn't appreciate more - but the proportional value of additional revenue was dropping all the time. This man was obviously rich, but his money wasn't any better than anyone else's, and perhaps there were more valuable things he could get out of him.

"Free," he said, with a smile. "A gift for the prince, courtesy of Martin Grant-Tremblor, Prefect of Niemidaland, and -" he indicated himself - "Vu Ke Hen"

SamBurke
2014-09-01, 04:50 PM
The portly Prince ambles up the tail and manages to haul himself onto the beast's back. His eyes were wide, marveling at the view from the back of the creature and he seemed not to notice Buttercup's voice. The Translator tried to draw the Prince's attention, no doubt to request permission to join his lord on the beast for purposes of translation but the Grand Prince did not see him and began to wave the riding crop wildly, smacking the beast's side in an effort to make it move.

Buttercup pulls the translator up and sits him down, before nodding to the driver. "We're off and away!" They begin their travel across the dunes, and the driver shows the Prince how to pull on the reins, tugging the two tiny iron rings in the beast's nose, to turn it. At first the progress is slow and halting, but as the party began to get farther from the palace, the speed increased, and Montoyon began to get the hang of things.

Which, of course, meant they were only going to go faster.

Buttercup strapped herself in and took a deep breath. The things she did for a profit...

QuintonBeck
2014-09-03, 12:24 PM
Ke Hen could think very fast when he needed to. He'd already taken more than enough money - which didn't mean he wouldn't appreciate more - but the proportional value of additional revenue was dropping all the time. This man was obviously rich, but his money wasn't any better than anyone else's, and perhaps there were more valuable things he could get out of him.

"Free," he said, with a smile. "A gift for the prince, courtesy of Martin Grant-Tremblor, Prefect of Niemidaland, and -" he indicated himself - "Vu Ke Hen"

"Ah!" the man grins, "Monto-hadanan Vu Ke Hen!" he gestured towards the merchant and tipped his head before walking off grinning to accost the next shopkeeper down the line.

Buttercup pulls the translator up and sits him down, before nodding to the driver. "We're off and away!" They begin their travel across the dunes, and the driver shows the Prince how to pull on the reins, tugging the two tiny iron rings in the beast's nose, to turn it. At first the progress is slow and halting, but as the party began to get farther from the palace, the speed increased, and Montoyon began to get the hang of things.

Which, of course, meant they were only going to go faster.

Buttercup strapped herself in and took a deep breath. The things she did for a profit...

The Grand Prince grinned wildly dangerous, his eyes filled with childlike glee as he stormed the beast over and down and through the dunes.

"Hashesh hasheeeesh!" The Grand Prince yelled wildly.

The Translator looked petrified, his green skin having grown grayer and his eyes often clinching closed, he seemed to have largely forgotten his duties as the Grand Prince began to shout again, this time addressing Buttercup in an excited stream of words.

SamBurke
2014-09-03, 12:31 PM
"A translation, if you would please!" She says, about to panic... If things got out of hand here, there weren't a lot of ways to de-escalate a situation from the back of a Tyranid...

QuintonBeck
2014-09-03, 12:35 PM
"Happy. Fast. Stop now." the Translator managed, his teeth clenched tightly together.

SamBurke
2014-09-03, 12:37 PM
"Happy. Fast. Stop now." the Translator managed, his teeth clenched tightly together.

Buttercup leaps up the moment he says those words, seizing both of the chains in her hands. With one foot firmly planted against the back of its head, she yanks back, bringing the Tyranid to a grinding halt, and everyone is rocked forward slightly. "One must be careful with a creature as powerful as these, but they are most delightful anyway." She smiles.

QuintonBeck
2014-09-03, 12:49 PM
The Grand Prince looks at his translator with some amount of displeasure and begins to shout at him in the Eastern Tongue, smacking him about before growing tired, his face bright green with exertion, and settling back down, the Translator properly cowed.

The Prince turned again to Buttercup and spoke again.

Swallowing the translator picked up the words, "His honorableness thanks you for this demonstrative. He should purchase these beasts for returning home. He offers the fine craft glass of many colors brought in caravan and will show you its beauty for the fierceness of these beast."

SamBurke
2014-09-04, 12:19 AM
Buttercup weighs the options for a moment, and considers. On the one hand, she had plentious glass from the Grmanhil trade... but on the other, they needed to establish a connection. A counter-offer, perhaps? "I would be more interested in obtaining stone... perhaps the beasts for stone, and ready-made saddles or gold for another load?"

Offering Dinos, Gold, and required Dino Tech here, desired outcome is Stonex2, but awaiting a counter offer.

QuintonBeck
2014-09-04, 12:45 PM
The translator conveyed the message and the Grand Prince pointed a finger at Buttercup wagging it intensely as his face curled into an appreciative and crafty smile. He spoke quickly again in Eastern and the Translator carried his master's words.

"Master of much says one stained glass one stone for your offer. This more than fair, Grand Prince is losing bad on this offer but his greatness enjoys you and your land."

SamBurke
2014-09-04, 07:32 PM
The translator conveyed the message and the Grand Prince pointed a finger at Buttercup wagging it intensely as his face curled into an appreciative and crafty smile. He spoke quickly again in Eastern and the Translator carried his master's words.

"Master of much says one stained glass one stone for your offer. This more than fair, Grand Prince is losing bad on this offer but his greatness enjoys you and your land."

"Ahhh! Well, I appreciate the Prince's generosity. I doubt he'll regret it when he rides the back of a Tyranid into the capitol city's streets at the head of a caravan of Trihorns." She winks and brings them back inside. There are some other, more common trades that she'd like to make, but there's not going to be anything quite so theatrical as before. Leather and gold, after all, were not so interesting.

QuintonBeck
2014-09-06, 01:17 PM
Athletes for Camels
Dinosaurs, Gold, Dino tech for Stained Glass and Stone

I believe all that's left is the "stack" of Heart Ruby. You got something spensive? :smallwink:

The Grand Prince and Translator followed Buttercup inside, the Grand Prince still seeming happy and satisfied with his dinosaur ride and the Translator still quite disoriented and sickly looking from the event.

As the three sat down the Grand Prince smiled mischievously and reached into the folds of his cloak, pulling a fist sized jewel from being nestled somewhere in his bosom. He laid the jewel down on the table in front of Buttercup so she could get a full view.

It was a deep crimson, shaped surprisingly anatomically like a heart (a fact Buttercup doubtless knows from the Scientific Institute) and swirling with an inner light that seemed filled with an intense heat even from a distance. It's cut was spectacular, it's edges supernaturally tight and sharp and when looking at the gem its almost as if one can hear a quiet thumping like that of a heart. The Translator seemed almost enraptured by it, something Buttercup can hardly fault the man over as its beauty and power is almost intoxicating. The Translator is barely able to tear his eyes away when the Grand Prince begins to speak.

"Presented to you oh Buttercup of Guilder is the Grand Prince's own Heart Ruby. Many Sarocs killed for this many Monto would kill. Legend speaks of power granted by Mazha Gupsta to the First through these Rubies. They created life from sand, water, rock, and metal gold. The First bore these in their chests as Monto now bear their own," the Translator mimicked the Grand Prince's gesture towards the chest, "Much money, much power, much blood, and much magic ties the rubies to their owner. Grandest of Princes Gebui is very not sure to trade but is willing for foreign knowledges yet unknown."

SamBurke
2014-09-09, 01:08 AM
She thinks for a while. "There are many great powers that my people possess, but I know not which would be the most important to your folk. Perhaps the beauty of aqueducts, or the power of fire and air... The ability to see from far away, or to sail across great waters... Tell me, Prince, what you desire."

QuintonBeck
2014-09-12, 02:26 PM
She thinks for a while. "There are many great powers that my people possess, but I know not which would be the most important to your folk. Perhaps the beauty of aqueducts, or the power of fire and air... The ability to see from far away, or to sail across great waters... Tell me, Prince, what you desire."

The Grand Prince spoke one word and the Translator didn't pause.

"All."

SamBurke
2014-09-12, 03:03 PM
The Grand Prince spoke one word and the Translator didn't pause.

"All."

"If I am to give all the great secrets of our people, then you must hold this Ruby in great esteem... But lo, you rode upon our merchandise to see its greatness. Perhaps you could show the power of your Grandness?" Buttercup is very intrigued... What on earth is this power?

QuintonBeck
2014-09-12, 03:24 PM
"If I am to give all the great secrets of our people, then you must hold this Ruby in great esteem... But lo, you rode upon our merchandise to see its greatness. Perhaps you could show the power of your Grandness?" Buttercup is very intrigued... What on earth is this power?

The translator conveyed the message and the Grand Prince rubbed his chin, thoughtfully. Eventually he gestured towards Buttercup to take up the Ruby, moving it towards her across the table and speaking.

"The magic of it is great and known to be by all but difficult for the Grandest One to explain, to touch is to understand you see, yes?"

SamBurke
2014-09-13, 12:29 AM
The translator conveyed the message and the Grand Prince rubbed his chin, thoughtfully. Eventually he gestured towards Buttercup to take up the Ruby, moving it towards her across the table and speaking.

"The magic of it is great and known to be by all but difficult for the Grandest One to explain, to touch is to understand you see, yes?"

Buttercup nods, and breathes deeply. She holds out both hands in a slow and deliberate walk towards the Ruby.

QuintonBeck
2014-09-13, 12:39 PM
Buttercup nods, and breathes deeply. She holds out both hands in a slow and deliberate walk towards the Ruby.

As Buttercup placed her hands on the Ruby she felt a warmth roll over her and the faint thumping sound she'd heard before grew more intense, a heartbeat, unmistakable resounded in her ears and through her entire body. A great wave of feeling came with it as well, something old and powerful but undefinable in simple terms. It was as if a sage was whispering in her ear, as if the Blazing Avatar or Mosi or the High Priestess of Yphinne were speaking garbled words of wisdom she couldn't quite comprehend but understood to be great words of power. And always in the background the thumping of the elder heartbeat. Buttercup could feel her hair standing on end, calm and power coursing through her in equal measure.

Eventually, though it was unclear exactly how long as if one was under the influence of Osuro, Buttercup released the gem and the world returned around her. the Grand Prince was sitting grinning broadly. The Translator looked over at the Grand Prince who nodded.

"The Grand Prince questions that this is enough for the secrets of Great Guilder?"

SamBurke
2014-09-15, 04:38 PM
"It is indeed a wonderful experience... Truly great. However, I do not see how it is to be used. How do your sages employ this power?"

QuintonBeck
2014-09-15, 06:27 PM
"It is indeed a wonderful experience... Truly great. However, I do not see how it is to be used. How do your sages employ this power?"

The Translator looked perplexed but relayed the question, prompting a similar response from the Grand Prince.

"It is power. Power is directed by the owner of the Ruby, not by the writing of Redmen," the Translator carried through the Grand Prince's words, "You touched the gods. Tell how that is not enough?"

SamBurke
2014-09-18, 10:39 PM
The Translator looked perplexed but relayed the question, prompting a similar response from the Grand Prince.

"It is power. Power is directed by the owner of the Ruby, not by the writing of Redmen," the Translator carried through the Grand Prince's words, "You touched the gods. Tell how that is not enough?"

"Yes, but power that needs to be channeled. I am a practical woman, Great Grand Prince..." She pauses, deep in thought. "But I am practical enough to know that an ally who is happy is better than a mere trade partner. So I shall turn over to you the designs for our aqueducts, deep-ships, and telescopic lenses, in the good faith that this shall be a memorable moment, as well as commemoration of future trade." She bows, recognizing that the audience is coming to a close.

But this was good. This was exactly perfect, in fact... with the power of the Heart, properly applied... yes, she could overthrow the boy Vizini quite easily with all of this power! Her time was about to begin.