PDA

View Full Version : Elemental Weapon Build Ideas

numerek
2014-08-26, 11:49 PM
Again not saying this is an optimal option, it is mainly just for people that don't want to rely on loot to get them a nice weapon. For those unfamiliar with the spell you cast it on any non magical weapon (concentration) choose a damage type (acid, cold, fire, lightning, thunder) the weapon gains +x enhancement and +xd4 to damage where x is Floor(Min((spell slot - 1) / 2, 3)). So at 7th level spell slot you can have +3 greatsword with +3d4 acid damage for average damage of 17.5+str mod.
To get the spell requires 9 levels in Paladin or 6 to 10 levels in Bard. The rest is open to customization.
And unlike my Flame Blade Fighter Thread I'm pretty sure this is RAW.
I am going to try to list some pros and cons of build decisions as I see them, not going to list all of each classes features, just what I think are the highlights.

Barbarian
Pros:
Martial Weapon proficiency
Advantage on every attack
Con:
No spell slot progression
Can't rage and concentrate

Bard
Pros:
Full caster
Cons:
Stealing unique spell from Paladin list before paladins can get it is kinda messed up

Lore Bard
Pros:
Can pick up spell at level 6
Full caster
Cons:
Limited Marital Weapon Proficency
Doesn't provide much else to combat effectiveness

Valor Bard
Pros:
Can pick up spell at level 10
Extra attack(1) level 6
Martial Weapon proficiency
Cons:

Cleric
Pros:
Full caster
Some synergy with tempest domain
War domain bonus attacks
Cons:

Druid
Pros:
Full caster
Wild shape into Ape and still use the weapon?
Cons:

Fighter
Pros:
Fighting style
Extra Attack(2)
improved crit or maneuvers or spell slot progression
Cons:
In order to get extra attack(2) would need 11 levels of fighter which would prevent ability to get 7th level spell slots.

Monk
Pros:
Cast On self as a weapon
With flurry can attack 4 times with elemental unarmed strikes
Cons:
No spell slot progression

Paladin
Pros:
Its a Paladin only spell so your not cheating your way into it.
1/2 spell slot progression
Divine Smite
Improved Divine Smite
Fighting style
Cons:
Not a full caster must get 9 levels of Paladin to get spell this way limits spell slot progression to level 15, harder to reach level 7 spells for maximum weapon enhancement.

Ranger
Pros:
Fighting style
1/2 spell slot progression
Hunter features can get you more attacks with your elemental weapon:
Giant Killer, Horde Breaker, Volley, Whirlwind attack
Extra attack(1)
Cons:
Not full caster

Rogue
Pros:
Assassinate bigger nova surprise round
Cons:
no extra attack
no/minimal spell slot progression

Sorcerer
Pros:
Full caster
Could use meta magic if need more 5th level slots or extend duration if concentration can be maintained.
I don't know for sure but someone mentioned Elemental Affinity for one damage type.
Could use meta magic to cast as a bonus action
Cons:

Warlock:
Pros:
Could use Warlock 5th level slots every short rest
extra attack(1)
Cons:
Doesn't help other spell slot progression

Wizard:
Pros:
Full caster
Cons:
Couldn't really see much benefit from Schools

Relevant Feats:
Great Weapon Master
Mounted Combatant
Polearm Master
Savage Attacker
Sentinel
War Caster

Hire the services of a bard 6/Sorcerer7 to cast this spell on your weapon and metamagic it to last all day and then they try not to lose concentration all day long.

Dark Tira
2014-08-26, 11:57 PM
Don't forget that elemental affinity applies to it if you match it to your draconic ancestor element. (Probably arguable)

hymer
2014-08-27, 02:04 AM
Assassins autocrit on attacks against surprised opponents, and crit works with the d4s. Putting EW on a ranged weapon could be quite useful for them, but they have no obvious way to get it.

Vhaluus
2014-08-27, 02:16 AM
go bard, take Shillelagh as another bonus spell. combine two for uber weapon.

Also if you went barbarian you'd lose concentration when you raged for advantage.

numerek
2014-08-27, 08:55 PM
go bard, take Shillelagh as another bonus spell. combine two for uber weapon.

Also if you went barbarian you'd lose concentration when you raged for advantage.

I think you could do elemental weapon on it first then cast shillelagh on it, but not the other way around because elemental weapon must be cast on a non-magical weapon and shillelagh makes a weapon magical if it wasn't already.

Barbarian's Reckless Attack doesn't not say that you must be raging to decide to attack recklessly. But that is unfortunate that you can't get the resistance to damage or the bonus to damage rolls with the elemental weapon.