PDA

View Full Version : Intimidating Paladin

TheCrowing1432
2014-08-27, 01:25 AM
I was recently struck by inspiration to run a heroic character. So I choose a Paladin of St Cuthburt. Now I decided to use his mace. "The Cudgel That Never Forgets" one of its abilities is to make an intimidate check against opponents in an attempt to demoralize them, it does this once per round of its own accord if i dont use any of its other abilities.

Anyway this ability made me wonder if I could make some sort of "Intimidating Paladin" build, where his presence inspires goodness in the innocent and fear and dread in evil.

And Im not talking fluff wise, i mean I want to be able to intimitate law breakers and evil doers.

But obviously paladin doesnt have intimidate as a class skill or any fear based effects as far as I know.

I know Paladins of Tyranny and Slaughter get fear effects but thats not what Im aiming for.

Is there any way to get Core Paladins to have fear/intimdating effects against evil, besides the Cudgel That Never Forgets.

Hazrond
2014-08-27, 01:30 AM
I was recently struck by inspiration to run a heroic character. So I choose a Paladin of St Cuthburt. Now I decided to use his mace. "The Cudgel That Never Forgets" one of its abilities is to make an intimidate check against opponents in an attempt to demoralize them, it does this once per round of its own accord if i dont use any of its other abilities.

Anyway this ability made me wonder if I could make some sort of "Intimidating Paladin" build, where his presence inspires goodness in the innocent and fear and dread in evil.

And Im not talking fluff wise, i mean I want to be able to intimitate law breakers and evil doers.

But obviously paladin doesnt have intimidate as a class skill or any fear based effects as far as I know.

I know Paladins of Tyranny and Slaughter get fear effects but thats not what Im aiming for.

Is there any way to get Core Paladins to have fear/intimdating effects against evil, besides the Cudgel That Never Forgets.

Maybe use one of the many ways of getting class skils via feats and such? im sure theres and Apprentice feat or something that could get you Intimidate as a class skill

Diovid
2014-08-27, 01:51 AM
Sure, it's possible, even as a good paladin. As Hazrond said, you want some way of gaining intimidate as a class skill. A good way to do this is to take the Half-Orc Paladin substitution levels (Races of Destiny), which at 3rd level also decreases fear saves of enemies.

Half-Orcs, specifically Desert Half-Orcs, are quite good at intimidation. The 1st Half-Orc paragon level gives a +4 bonus to inimidation checks. The Half-Orc only feat Manacing Demeanor does the same.

In addition it could be argued that due to rules in Races of Destiny, Half-Orcs qualify for the Dreadful Wrath feat (Player's Guide to Faerun). If your DM does not allow this there is always the human heritage feat.

Here's a handbook on fear: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3809

Gwendol
2014-08-27, 01:54 AM
Use a Half-Orc paladin and the racial substitution levels found in Races of Destiny. It will replace Diplomacy will Intimidate (for those levels at least). Or use the Martial Study feat (ToB) and get Intimidate as a class skill. Or build a Bardadin, which will provide its own set of advantages.