PDA

View Full Version : Time stop

Inevitability
2014-08-27, 02:06 AM
A couple of Time Stop questions:

1. Are there creatures who can act normally in a time stop?

2. Can readied actions and opportunity attacks still be made against you?

3. If you make someone other than you attack (such as through White Raven maneuvers) can they do damage?

bekeleven
2014-08-27, 02:10 AM
No, no, and maybe. You're not stopping time, you're just moving too fast for anybody else to react. I'd rule the white raven would give someone an attack "immediately," in apparent time, i.e. when time stop ends.

HammeredWharf
2014-08-27, 02:23 AM
1. Yes, kind of. See the epic feat Spell Stowaway.

2. No, unless the creature in question is in your Time Stop.

3. I'd rule that WRT doesn't work at all in Time Stop, because "other creatures are invulnerable to your attacks and spells; you cannot target such creatures with any attack or spell" and "you are undetectable while time stop lasts". While WRT isn't an attack or a spell, it's close enough to the latter and being undetectable would stop you from "inspiring your allies" or "cajoling them into seizing the initiative".

White the RAW are debatable in this case, if WRT works it sets the ally's initiative to your initiative -1, as normal.

Inevitability
2014-08-27, 04:59 AM
EDIT: Nevermind. I know what I gotta know.

Crake
2014-08-27, 05:01 AM
EDIT: Nevermind. I know what I gotta know.

I don't see why not, although I would probably rule that it simply extends the duration, so no timestop-ception

Psyren
2014-08-27, 08:30 AM
There are epic monsters who can act during your time stop by using Spell Stowaway. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#spellStowaway) The Phane (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/abomination.htm#phane) is one of these.

Yes, readied actions could be used on you but they wouldn't be able to go off until after the whole thing was over (unless the monster is in your time stop as above.)

Mato
2014-08-27, 10:45 AM
Yes, readied actions could be used on you but they wouldn't be able to go off until after the whole thing was over (unless the monster is in your time stop as above.)

Readying an Action
You can ready a standard action, a move action, or a free action. To do so, specify the action you will take and the conditions under which you will take it. Then, any time before your next action, you may take the readied action in response to that condition. The action occurs just before the action that triggers it. If the triggered action is part of another character’s activities, you interrupt the other character. Assuming he is still capable of doing so, he continues his actions once you complete your readied action. Your initiative result changes. For the rest of the encounter, your initiative result is the count on which you took the readied action, and you act immediately ahead of the character whose action triggered your readied action.

You can take a 5-foot step as part of your readied action, but only if you don’t otherwise move any distance during the round.You ready an action against time stop, or anything, it happens before time stop.

dascarletm
2014-08-27, 10:47 AM
Isn't there an inevitable that has the ability to act during a time stop?

Segev
2014-08-27, 10:49 AM
You ready an action against time stop, or anything, it happens before time stop.

I think the question is more what happens if you ready an action against Action A, the wizard casts Time Stop, and then, during the 1d4 rounds of apparent time, performs Action A (while you, who readied the action, are frozen).

As an example:

Barbarian: If he calls me stupid one more time, I'm going to axe him. (readies an action to attack if the wizard calls him stupid)

Wizard: Time Stop! Mirror Image! You're Stupid! *time stop ends*

Does the Barbarian's readied action trigger before the Time Stop, despite that not being the trigger? Does it trigger in the second round thereof, when the wizard calls him stupid, letting him act despite not being able to take any actions at all? Does it not trigger at all because he couldn't take the action when the trigger occurred?

bjoern
2014-08-27, 10:49 AM
You ready an action against time stop, or anything, it happens before time stop.

Your character would have to recognize that time stop was being cast. He would have to make a spell craft check to ID the spell during casting so he could respond to it.

However if the action was readied to a casting of ANY spell then he would get to act without the skill check so long as he could see the caster and know that he was casting something (very low DC spot check if any)

Chronos
2014-08-27, 03:05 PM
Readied actions are based on your own senses, and don't let you detect anything you couldn't otherwise detect. The barbarian wouldn't be able to hear the time-stopped wizard calling him stupid, so his readied action wouldn't take effect.

Slithery D
2014-08-27, 03:14 PM

I think the Pathfinder Infernal Duke Lorthact has that ability, but I'm blocked from pfsrd at work.

Seppo87
2014-08-27, 03:23 PM
Readied actions are based on your own senses, and don't let you detect anything you couldn't otherwise detect. The barbarian wouldn't be able to hear the time-stopped wizard calling him stupid, so his readied action wouldn't take effect.When common sense is not common anymore, should it be called rare sense?
Ladies and gentlemen, behold: rare sense at its finest

Werephilosopher
2014-08-27, 04:14 PM

You'd think Quaruts would, but it appears they don't.

dascarletm
2014-08-27, 05:31 PM
You'd think Quaruts would, but it appears they don't.

That's the one I was thinking about. I thought they had an ability like that. That's disappointing.

Werephilosopher
2014-08-27, 10:35 PM
That's the one I was thinking about. I thought they had an ability like that. That's disappointing.

Hmm, afroakuma's revision (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=4999570&postcount=36) includes it.

Inevitability
2014-08-28, 12:07 AM
On Spell Stowaway: As long as you cast the spell further than 300 feet away, they're frozen too.