PDA

View Full Version : Optimization I need 2nd level spells on a Warlock build.

RPGaddict28
2014-08-27, 03:06 AM
I'm playing a level 8 warlock, and I've just discovered Eldritch Theurge, and it looks pretty good, but it needs 2nd level arcane spells. The obvious way is Sorc4, as it's a CHA based caster, but that seems somewhat sub-optimal to me, so I was wondering if there are any ways to get 2nd level spells earlier, preferably ones that synergize with my build well. My mentals are 13,10,18

Vaz
2014-08-27, 03:11 AM
Sorcerer 1 with Heighten Spell and Versatile Spellcaster gets you 2nd level spells (give up 2 1st level spells for a 2nd level spell - heighten spell makes a known 1st level spell count as a 2nd level spell).

LentilNinja
2014-08-27, 03:14 AM
EDIT: My suggestion was Chameleon, but since that doesn't work I'm actually having the same problem but with Mystic Theurge. Guess I'll be lurking for an answer too.

Sian
2014-08-27, 03:21 AM
1 level in Chameleon will get you access to 2nd level spells, but that requires you to be Human.

And Chameleon explicitly says that its spellcasting can't be used for qualifying purposes

LentilNinja
2014-08-27, 03:26 AM
And Chameleon explicitly says that its spellcasting can't be used for qualifying purposes

Wait, really? I guess it WAS too good to be true. Well, back to the drawing board for me.

Malroth
2014-08-27, 03:56 AM
Wizard 1 With Precocious Apprentice

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-08-27, 04:13 AM
Warlock 8/ Suel Arcanamach 2, use racial weapon proficiencies (Elf, creature type Outsider or Giant, etc.) and the Otyugh Hole to qualify. Otherwise you're best off going Warlock 1/ Sorcerer 4 into it, with a Chasuble of Fell Power to get the Eldritch Blast prerequisite.

ben-zayb
2014-08-27, 04:30 AM
If you're already rolling Warlock 8 in-game, then the fastest route would be to dip Sorcerer 1, take the Versatile Spellcaster feat, and then retrain one of your other feats for Heighten Spell.

prufock
2014-08-27, 06:15 AM
If you're already rolling Warlock 8 in-game, then the fastest route would be to dip Sorcerer 1, take the Versatile Spellcaster feat, and then retrain one of your other feats for Heighten Spell.

Or retrain your level 1 feat for Precocious Apprentice, saving your other feat for whatever (though Versatile Spellcaster and Heighten Spell are decent feats anyway, this seems more like "warlock with a little spellcasting" than "spellcaster with a little warlock).

sleepyphoenixx
2014-08-27, 06:28 AM
Or retrain your level 1 feat for Precocious Apprentice, saving your other feat for whatever (though Versatile Spellcaster and Heighten Spell are decent feats anyway, this seems more like "warlock with a little spellcasting" than "spellcaster with a little warlock).

Snowcasting works too as long as you know a spell with the [Cold] descriptor. It also doesn't require retraining. It's pretty useless outside of qualifying purposes though unless you want to go the whole cold blasting route.