PDA

View Full Version : GM help - advice on running a dwarf fortress-esque campaign

MalcolmReynolds
2014-08-27, 06:16 AM
hey all

im getting ready to run a campaign dwarf fortress style.

premise is that its the end of the world as we know it, and while the rest of civilization is starting to head towards tyranic dictatorship (think along the lines of the governor from the walking dead except fueled by a magical theocratic state) the party, and 50ish of their friends are running away to start life anew on the edge of civilization.

however, i need some help on the logistics.

particularly, food as a resource. now i know i could just fudge it and just say 'oh. at the start of this session, several weeks later, youre now running out of food', but i feel if i give them some numbers, how much per day, will be an effective motivation to do something proactive, read: get self-sufficient in some way.

would there be any resource/splat book which would have some kind of rules for this kind of thing? how to quantify units of food etc.

furthermore, would there be anything else i should consider, off the top of people's heads, before going ahead with this? any thoughts/advice/spitballing ideas for running this kind of a campaign?

Slipperychicken
2014-08-27, 06:38 AM
Find a list of the DF combat notifications and key them to various dnd combat things?

For example:

"I roll a 12 to hit, dealing 9 damage" becomes "You slash the Kobold Bowman in the left arm with your +iron greatsword+, tearing apart the muscle through the alpaca leather toga!"

"I critted, dealing 38 damage" becomes "You stab the Human Maceman in the head with your ++Mithral Rapier++, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain through the -Copper Helm-! A tendon in the skull has been torn! The ++Mithral Rapier++ has lodged firmly in the wound! Ab Slenkshi, Human Maceman, is slain!".

Also, the process of bleeding out should involve plenty of notifications about blood loss, giving in to pain, looking sick, regaining consciousness, vomiting, and retching.

And also markers to keep track of severed limbs, blood, viscera, objects, and puke. It's essential to the DF role-playing experience.