PDA

View Full Version : Gnome druid mounted combat

speedyolrac
2014-08-27, 07:32 AM
I havn't got a chance to read a lot on 5th, but played tons of the other editions.

I know that actions are limited but what is the benifits of using a lance vs just letting the animal compaions attack.
And about mounted archery? Is there any complications with that.

Yuki Akuma
2014-08-27, 07:34 AM
Well, Mounted Combatant grants you advantage on melee weapon attack rolls against non-mounted opponents smaller than your mount. So if you pick a horse or something, that could be worthwhile.

Mounted archery just makes you more maneuverable than being on foot. It doesn't provide any bonuses beyond speed. If you're worried about versimilitude, use a shortbow (as that's a legitimate weapon used from horseback), but I don't think anything stops you from using a longbow, rules-wise.

hymer
2014-08-27, 07:58 AM
what is the benifits of using a lance vs just letting the animal compaions attack.

Class feature animal companions are close to no good. Generally speaking, you can attack or they can attack in any given round. And only rangers who specialize in beast mastery get them.

Using a lance while mounted, on the other hand, is interesting. It lets you wield the lance one-handed, and lances deal 1d12 damage and have reach (but disadvantage when attacking at 5'). It's not even a heavy weapon, meaning small characters can wield it without inherent disadvantage.

Edit: For clarity, 1d12 is more than any other onehanded weapon, and only half a point of damage short of the most damaging weapons in the game, which are two-handed.

Naanomi
2014-08-27, 08:33 AM
Class feature animal companions are close to no good. Generally speaking, you can attack or they can attack. And only rangers who specialize in beast mastery get them.
Interestingly, mounted archery is something animal companions are good at... perhaps a halfling from the back of his pet flying-dinosaur?

hymer
2014-08-27, 08:43 AM
Interestingly, mounted archery is something animal companions are good at... perhaps a halfling from the back of his pet flying-dinosaur?

You've seen stats for flying dinosaurs? They need to be size medium (or smaller) and CR 1/4 to be a ranger's pet. Anyway, there isn't much reason to use class features to get a mount when you can buy one. A beast master's beast has more hp and doesn't cost gold to replace, but I think that's the extent of its advantage over the storebought variety. :smallsmile:

TomPliss
2014-08-27, 08:44 AM
Moreover, I don't think there is a rule that prevents you from wielding 2 lances while mounted, as long as you have the Dual Wielder feat (for non-light weapons).

You've seen stats for flying dinosaurs?
http://puu.sh/ba24L/d098d7431c.jpg
http://puu.sh/ba2az/818b489994.jpg

micahwc
2014-08-27, 01:23 PM
Moreover, I don't think there is a rule that prevents you from wielding 2 lances while mounted, as long as you have the Dual Wielder feat (for non-light weapons).

http://puu.sh/ba24L/d098d7431c.jpg
http://puu.sh/ba2az/818b489994.jpg

If you have no teeth what advantage would you gain by stabbing prey to large for you to swollow whole? Wouldn't that just make it harder to eat something? Cause now it's impaled on your beak and you cant open your mouth. I see no actual benefit to doing this other than it sounds cool.

Yorrin
2014-08-27, 01:28 PM
If you have no teeth what advantage would you gain by stabbing prey to large for you to swollow whole? Wouldn't that just make it harder to eat something? Cause now it's impaled on your beak and you cant open your mouth. I see no actual benefit to doing this other than it sounds cool.

I think the idea is to stab it and fly away without carrying it, doing so multiple times until the creature is dead. Then just tear it apart one limb at a time to eat it.

hymer
2014-08-27, 01:47 PM
@ TomPliss: Thank you!

@ micahwc: What Yorrin said. Also you may want to fight things you won't be eating - to protect your nest, your downed prey, in dominance fights over territory, etc.

speedyolrac
2014-08-27, 03:28 PM
Gnome/halfing on a pterodactyl fighting with a lance, sounds awesome. I am the 6th member so Idon't have to be totaly effective, I'm there for sytle.

I will have a short bow to be safe when I need to . Thank you internets.

hymer
2014-08-27, 03:31 PM
Gnome/halfing on a pterodactyl fighting with a lance, sounds awesome. I am the 6th member so Idon't have to be totaly effective, I'm there for sytle.

I will have a short bow to be safe when I need to . Thank you internets.

The ptero's ability to leave reach without provoking AoOs is pretty good for a lance wielding rider. You'll want to be close, but not at five feet, where most enemies will try and close to.

Breltar
2014-08-27, 05:41 PM
Druids still have a few spells they can cast to get animal help, the ranger just gets the one companion but once a druid gets 3rd level spells they can summon a small horde of them.

Animal Friendship and Speak with animals makes just about any animal a companion, dm willing.