View Full Version : Mystery of the Missing Movies

Lheticus
2014-08-27, 08:01 AM
Is it just me, or do some movies just...vanish without a trace sometimes? No internet references, no way to find them or figure out what they were called.

There's 2 examples in particular I'm thinking of that I've seen trailers for but I can't find any mention of them anywhere. The first was a movie with some kind of meta statement about corporate control or something--the plot as I remember it from the trailer was something like, everyone on Earth is connected to these gross looking tube things that aliens feed off of or something and only the protagonist can see them somehow. I remember the line "How far are you willing to go?" repeated a lot in that trailer, but search engines don't turn the movie up from that phrase. I remember that in the more recent days after its release, it got panned a lot for anvilliciousness, but not long after that...I just can't find a dang thing about it.

The second trailer made its movie's plot a lot more clear cut. An air marshal is sent a message in the middle of a flight that someone on board is going to kill someone on board every x minutes/hours/whatever. I think he might make demands too, I'm not sure. Only somehow, the air marshal HIMSELF is implicated in the plot by people on the ground, indicating the whole thing is some kind of huge conspiracy. I'm POSITIVE this one is called X0,000 feet, but again, I just can't find any bloody reference to them ANYWHERE.

PLEASE tell me I'm not the only one who remembers these!

EDIT: Okay, I managed to finally find the second one by searching "movies about air marshals." Turns out that one was actually called "Non-Stop." Dunno how I got the title mixed up so bad.

Cespenar
2014-08-27, 08:03 AM
The second one is Non-Stop, with Liam Neeson starring.

GloatingSwine
2014-08-27, 08:08 AM
The first one sounds like a rubbish remake of They Live.

I'm not sure if anyone has made a rubbish remake of They Live, but I wouldn't put it past them.

Lheticus
2014-08-27, 08:10 AM
The first one sounds like a rubbish remake of They Live.

I'm not sure if anyone has made a rubbish remake of They Live, but I wouldn't put it past them.

Actually, I think that very argument was made in the panning of it. I'm not sure how recent it is, but I'd be shocked to see it's more than 5 years old.

Cristo Meyers
2014-08-27, 08:11 AM
I don't remember the name of it, but the first sounds like something I remember watching (when I could still stand to watch him, anyway) Moviebob doing a review of over on the Escapist. It was months ago, though, possibly as far back as last year.

#edit: It might have been either his best or worst 'movies of 2013' video...

Cespenar
2014-08-27, 08:15 AM
I don't remember the name of it, but the first sounds like something I remember watching (when I could still stand to watch him, anyway) Moviebob doing a review of over on the Escapist. It was months ago, though, possibly as far back as last year.

Was it the one with the super-capitalist setting or something?

Lheticus
2014-08-27, 08:16 AM
Okay...I think I may know why I can't find the first movie. From what I can gather, it's likely that after that trailer was produced, it was never even released and relegated to development hell.

Cristo Meyers
2014-08-27, 08:18 AM
Was it the one with the super-capitalist setting or something?

I think so...and the main story was that corporations had sold the populace on the idea that morbidly obese was the new beautiful so they would buy more stuff.

BeerMug Paladin
2014-08-27, 10:21 AM
I think so...and the main story was that corporations had sold the populace on the idea that morbidly obese was the new beautiful so they would buy more stuff.
This movie is called Branded.

I don't know if it's what the original posting is about, as I don't typically watch trailers and didn't see this movie, but I did read about it on a bad-movie-list or something, somewhere.

Bhu
2014-08-27, 01:34 PM
I remember Branded, I had to review it at work. There's a reason you find it difficult to search for: it's what we refer to at work as a 10 percenter. As in maybe 10% of the audience actually gets the film and understands what it's about (usually due to a lot of metaphorical jibber jabber). Plus it's message skewering capitalism, the origins of propaganda, and judeo-christian myth probably aren't too popular with most crowds. It was marketed as a surreal version of They Live, but it's a different beast entirely.

Lheticus
2014-08-27, 05:51 PM
This movie is called Branded.

I don't know if it's what the original posting is about, as I don't typically watch trailers and didn't see this movie, but I did read about it on a bad-movie-list or something, somewhere.

I remember Branded, I had to review it at work. There's a reason you find it difficult to search for: it's what we refer to at work as a 10 percenter. As in maybe 10% of the audience actually gets the film and understands what it's about (usually due to a lot of metaphorical jibber jabber). Plus it's message skewering capitalism, the origins of propaganda, and judeo-christian myth probably aren't too popular with most crowds. It was marketed as a surreal version of They Live, but it's a different beast entirely.

Oh. My. Gosh. WE HAVE A WINNER(S)! Yeah...I knew it was unpopular, but DANG. The more insane bits of me were going "what if something about this movie hit too close to home for someone powerful and they had it covered up?"

For giving me closure about something that had niggled at me on and off for MONTHS, I award you 4,000 YES points each.

Bhu
2014-08-27, 06:47 PM
t's not so much that it's message hits too close to home (which it does), but that it manages to somehow simultaneously be delivered in an incoherent and indecipherable way while being completely ham-fisted. If you get whats going on, the movie has all the subtlety of a sledgehammer. If you don't get some of the references it's an incoherent mess that says "advertising bad! hurrr..."