PDA

View Full Version : Atypical bonus types

Eaglejarl
2014-08-27, 08:13 AM
I'm pretty sure I've seen someone on here say that it's possible to get stat bonuses from atypical types -- e.g., a Headband of Intellect that gives an insight bonus instead of an enhancement bonus. I don't remember how, though...I looked at the Artificer class but I don't see anything about that.

Can someone remind me? Also, is there a way to do it with spells instead of just items?

bjoern
2014-08-27, 08:19 AM
I'm not sure where it is but I believe its the same as save bonuses are: double cost
So for an enhancement bonus its (bonus^2)x1000 and for a different bonus descriptor (like insight) it would be (bonus ^2) x 2000

Eaglejarl
2014-08-27, 09:12 AM
I'm not sure where it is but I believe its the same as save bonuses are: double cost
So for an enhancement bonus its (bonus^2)x1000 and for a different bonus descriptor (like insight) it would be (bonus ^2) x 2000

Hm. The SRD on creating magic items doesn't show that; is it in non-SRD content?

bjoern
2014-08-27, 09:19 AM
Hm. The SRD on creating magic items doesn't show that; is it in non-SRD content?

Here is the link where it says thats how it works for save bonuses. I'm not certain if the rules say it works the same way for attribute bonuses but I don't see why
It wouldn't.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm

Dusk Eclipse
2014-08-27, 09:20 AM
The Item alteration infusion allows Artificers to temporally change the type of bonus items give.

Piggy Knowles
2014-08-27, 09:30 AM
The Item alteration infusion allows Artificers to temporally change the type of bonus items give.

Yup, this is the one. Item Alteration is one if the ways artificers can put out obscene bonuses, by allowing things to stack that were never intended to.

Eaglejarl
2014-08-27, 10:19 AM

Aha! Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

RolandDeschain
2014-08-27, 12:28 PM
I might be missing something here, but if by "stat" bonuses you mean bonuses to your ability scores, aren't the "types" severely limited? On an unrelated not, I think Item Alteration specifically says you cannot utilize Sacred or Profane bonuses.

Zaq
2014-08-27, 12:37 PM
I might be missing something here, but if by "stat" bonuses you mean bonuses to your ability scores, aren't the "types" severely limited? On an unrelated not, I think Item Alteration specifically says you cannot utilize Sacred or Profane bonuses.

You can't use sacred or profane, but there's nothing saying you can't turn them into other unusual bonuses. There's no rule saying that you can't have an alchemical bonus to STR, or a luck bonus, or an insight bonus, or a competence bonus, or a circumstance bonus, or a morale bonus. It's arguable that you can't have a dodge bonus or a deflection bonus (since those are defined as being only to AC/Reflex and AC, respectively), but you don't have to go for sacred/profane to still stack things way beyond where you really should.

RolandDeschain
2014-08-27, 02:21 PM
So you're saying they could craft something granting them an insight bonus to Int if they wanted.

Zaq
2014-08-27, 02:31 PM
They couldn't craft it directly or permanently, unless the GM wanted to allow it. But they could craft a normal enhancement bonus and temporarily turn it into an insight bonus, so it would stack with their existing enhancement bonus.

Fax Celestis
2014-08-27, 02:42 PM
So you're saying they could craft something granting them an insight bonus to Int if they wanted.

They couldn't craft it directly or permanently, unless the GM wanted to allow it. But they could craft a normal enhancement bonus and temporarily turn it into an insight bonus, so it would stack with their existing enhancement bonus.

I don't remember where, but I feel like I've read that you can do a non-typical bonus type for double the price. You definitely can do that, per SRD, for armor class, but ability bonuses aren't clarified like that.

Chronos
2014-08-27, 02:57 PM
Yeah, even if you restrict it to bonus types that show up from other places in the rules, there are a lot of them. For instance, bonuses to ability scores can be:
Enhancement
Competence
Morale
Insight
Size
Inherent
Alchemical
And I think, though I'm not certain, that you can find a few things that give a Luck or Perfection bonus to ability scores, too.

Apply that to a few different items of +6 to an ability score, and instead of getting +6, you can get +42.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-08-27, 03:00 PM

Only for 10 minutes per level, they can't craft using Item Alteration without explicit DM's permission.