PDA

View Full Version : Prone and the magic of magic

Fwiffo86
2014-08-27, 08:45 AM
Ok.... rules question...

Caster Jimmy the Wand is under long range fire from the Goblins of the Bent spoon. Jimmy the Wand falls to the ground prone to enforce disadvantage on their shots.

Does being prone affect Jimmy's ability to target with his spells? Assuming that a long range attack roll is treated like a long range roll for being prone (ie disadvantage) is the default, what about other spells?

I am assuming if it doesn't require an attack roll, it isn't affected, correct?

EvilAnagram
2014-08-27, 08:48 AM
If it requires an attack roll, it has disadvantage. If it doesn't there's no effect on the caster's ability to cast.

Human Paragon 3
2014-08-27, 09:27 AM
If it requires an attack roll, it has disadvantage. If it doesn't there's no effect on the caster's ability to cast.

I could see hard ass DMs asking for an easy concentration check to cast prone, but no, there are no effects by RAW other than disadvantage on attack rolls.

hymer
2014-08-27, 09:42 AM
Caster Jimmy the Wand is under long range fire from the Goblins of the Bent spoon. Jimmy the Wand falls to the ground prone to enforce disadvantage on their shots.

I'm just, you know...
If they are at long range, they already have disadvantage. Unless they're about to come into short range, he should probably stay standing.