PDA

View Full Version : Eating celebrities

pendell
2014-08-27, 09:00 AM
I'm pretty sure bitelabs (http://bitelabs.org/) is a satire. At least, I really hope it is ...

... if it isn't ,we live in the Empire of Blood, IMO.

Update (http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2014/02/26/bite_labs_is_probably_a_prank_artisanal_salami_fro m_celebrity_tissue_samples.html?wpisrc=burger_bar) . Slate interviewed the people in charge and say:

According to "Kevin" from the BiteLabs team the site is partly a commentary on food culture, the ethics of meat, and "the way celebrity culture is consumed." But the part about making celebrity meat is real. He writes:

To develop Celebrity Meat, we're working with a group of bio-engineers and food designers, most of which have requested to remain anonymous due to the controversial nature of the product ...

At the moment, I believe Jennifer Lawrence and James Franco are pretty neck and neck in terms of who has been tweeted at the most. We've gotten some responses from people offering us biopsies, but no one on the level of our big 4 yet. Most of the responses have been very positive, but of course some people are a bit uncomfortable with idea of BiteLabs--we think that's only to be expected when we talk about pushing the boundaries of tech and society.

Maybe, but the story is six months old now and so far I don't see anything but a web site. I'm still not convinced slate wasn't taken for a ride.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Tengu_temp
2014-08-27, 09:46 AM
Kanye West
Always push the boundaries in taste

That made me laugh.

I'm pretty sure this is just a satire, but if it's real, it's pretty hilarious, in a somewhat creepy way. The fact that it's human meat isn't creepy - it's artificially grown meat, not the flesh of a living person, so I'm okay with that - but the fact that it's meat from a specific person is. Stalker's paradise ahoy!

Gnoman
2014-08-27, 05:19 PM
When TIME contacted Bite Labs to learn more, someone identifying himself as Martin, the CEO, hinted at the company’s true goal. “Making celebrity meat a reality will all depend on our ability to generate public enthusiasm,” he wrote. “We also want to prompt widespread discussion about bioethics, lab-grown meats, and celebrity culture – this is very important to us. We think the cultural discussion around lab-grown meats and popular culture will acclimate people to the field. We’re treating it as a cultural precursor for when our product eventually hits production.”

Martin chose not to divulge his last name “due to the controversial nature of our product.”

Martin emphasized that the company is not prepared to bring a product to market. And though he kept up the charade that Bite Labs has some intention of actually making these nightmare meats, he also underlined the company’s true intentions. “Our primary goal right now is to create a public dialogue around the potential for commercially available lab-grown meat,” he explained. In other words, this is the work of provocateurs who want to create discussion, not people who want you to eat Danny DeVito prosciutto.

It's a publicity stunt.