PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Build Challenge: Brawler

Gorr_the_Gastly
2014-08-27, 12:34 PM
Alright I thought I would suggest something kinda fun with the new classes out for PF. These build challenges are gonna be focused on two characters and a level 5-10 build of them using the Brawler class.
Limited Multi-classing (PF only classes)
PF only gear/spells.

I wanted to see this done and I know the jokes will come.
Build: Chuck Norris & Captain America

Brawler (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/brawler)
All Archetypes for the Brawler are available.

I am working on a Norris build but work has got me slammed so maybe you guys can come up with something I didn't think of.

The Random NPC
2014-08-27, 12:42 PM
What a coincidence, I've been working on a Captain America type build, there's a link to my Google character sheet below. Please ignore that fact that the class says it's Alchemist, I did hat because the sheet doesn't have an option for brawler, and Alchemist has the same save progression.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Agj6gAXrCfTedE1MUDRlSkhJTnY3U1VMemFnQ0JfR 3c&usp=sharing

Gorr_the_Gastly
2014-08-27, 12:50 PM
Very nice.

Like I said I am working on a Charles Norris character who uses just Unarmed Strike, looking into giving him Body Wraps of Mighty Strike, Brawling Mithral Shirt to give him a +3 to Hit and Dmg from Unarmed Attacks +2 to Grapple Checks (Which I believe means CMB and CMD) at Level 5 this should make him seem really tough, especially with a 18 in Strength. Also Weapon Focus (Unarmed Strikes) and Weapon Specialization (Unarmed Strikes) adding a +1 to hit and a +2 addition to damage.

I have not started work yet on the Captain idea, but I have had a few ideas floating around involving the Blink Back Belt and Throwing Shields.

The Random NPC
2014-08-27, 01:38 PM
With the Shield Champion archetype, you won't need the blinkback belt, or throwing shields. The blinkback belt can help, if you don't want to dual wield shields and want to keep the shield AC (arguably the thrown shield is still a Shield Bash and thus you keep your AC due to Improved Shield Bash). Throwing shields aren't the best, as the only benefit they have is a 20 ft range increment, and the ability to throw them as a free action. If you apply Distance (or a Belt of Might Hurling) to a regular shield, they have the same range increment, and if you have Shield Master, you can apply the enhancement bonus to attack and damage. Since most battles take place within 200 ft or so, the additional range from the throwing shield isn't that useful. Furthermore, it could be argued that any magic qualities you have on your shield spikes don't apply to a thrown Throwing Shield. Additionally Throwing Shields are Exotic weapons, which Brawlers aren't proficient with. As at 5th level you'll be doing unarmed damage - 4 levels with the Close weapon group, and at 12th you'll be doing regular unarmed damage with it, it would be better to keep using the regular shield. As for the free action throwing, there's no reason for you to rely on that as it's highly likely that your GM will prevent it. Even if your GM doesn't, I wouldn't recommend it in most games, as infinite damage builds quickly destroy the fun for both yourself and the group.