PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Weird Rules Quirks

Halae
2014-08-27, 02:22 PM
So, this little thread is an idea for a laugh. The idea is to list out little rules quirks to pathfinder that you find amusing. I'll start.

1. A hunter may teach his animal companion Skirmisher Ranger tricks. This includes "Cunning Pantomime" which allows the user the benefit of the tongues spell for the next ten minutes when dealing with one creature. At level 4, you can upgrade an animal companion's intelligence to 3, which allows it to gain linguistics, which allows it to learn common, allowing it to directly communicate with the team as a universal (if slow) translator. Can you imagine the mammoth you brought with you explaining what the kidnappers want to the party?

NightbringerGGZ
2014-08-27, 05:37 PM
So, this little thread is an idea for a laugh. The idea is to list out little rules quirks to pathfinder that you find amusing. I'll start.

1. A hunter may teach his animal companion Skirmisher Ranger tricks. This includes "Cunning Pantomime" which allows the user the benefit of the tongues spell for the next ten minutes when dealing with one creature. At level 4, you can upgrade an animal companion's intelligence to 3, which allows it to gain linguistics, which allows it to learn common, allowing it to directly communicate with the team as a universal (if slow) translator. Can you imagine the mammoth you brought with you explaining what the kidnappers want to the party?

I would name him Snuffleupagus.

gr8artist
2014-08-28, 08:49 PM
You don't even get a companion until 5th level. The ability score increase is available at druid level 4, which mean ranger level 7.
How do you teach the skirmisher's "Hunter Tricks" to your companion? Handle animal allows you to teach it a "trick" from a specified list, and I see no feature or ability that adds "Hunter Tricks" to that list (except the most ridiculous of interpretations or adherence to RAW over RAI).

Personally, the fact that Darkvision doesn't extend sight range but rather overlaps with it amuses me. Thus, there are situations where humans and elves can see further in the dark than dwarves.
Darkvision 60 ft gives colorless vision of everything within 60 feet, but provides no benefit beyond. Low-light vision doubles the distance you can see in dim light (which is weirdly phrased) so something that grants dim light for 40 feet (or normal light for some and dim light for at least half of what's left) allows the elf to see further than the dwarf.

Attacking with gauntlets gets humorous, when you consider that you can UaS with full-plate on, and then attack with gauntlets later.

bjoern
2014-08-28, 09:19 PM
Yeah the whole dark vision, low light vision thing is a joke. A creature with a hooded lantern can see perfectly for 120' and shadowy for 240'.
A creature with dark vision with the same lantern can see perfectly for 60' and shadowey for 120'

I think that any creature with dark vision should automatically have low light vision as well. And that the dark vision distance begins at the edge of the shadowey illumination . So in this situation the dark vision guy could see perfectly for 300' thanks to the lantern. But it would only be 60' in total darkness.

daryen
2014-08-28, 09:45 PM
You don't even get a companion until 5th level. The ability score increase is available at druid level 4, which mean ranger level 7.

First, this is Pathfinder, so a Ranger gets an animal companion at fourth level.

Second, the OP is talking about the new Hunter class, not the Ranger class.

grarrrg
2014-08-28, 09:46 PM
How do you teach the skirmisher's "Hunter Tricks" to your companion? Handle animal allows you to teach it a "trick" from a specified list, and I see no feature or ability that adds "Hunter Tricks" to that list (except the most ridiculous of interpretations or adherence to RAW over RAI).

There's this new class called the Hunter (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/hunter).
It gets an Animal Companion at 1st level: "At 1st level, a hunter forms a bond with an animal companion"
It can teach it Skirmisher-Archetype-Ranger tricks instead of normal tricks: "A hunter may teach her companion hunter's tricks from the skirmisher ranger archetype instead of standard tricks."

Edit: NINJA'S!

atemu1234
2014-08-28, 09:57 PM
There's this new class called the Hunter (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/hunter).
It gets an Animal Companion at 1st level: "At 1st level, a hunter forms a bond with an animal companion"
It can teach it Skirmisher-Archetype-Ranger tricks instead of normal tricks: "A hunter may teach her companion hunter's tricks from the skirmisher ranger archetype instead of standard tricks."

Edit: NINJA'S!

Where is the Hunter from? I'm drawing a blank.

grarrrg
2014-08-28, 10:04 PM
Where is the Hunter from? I'm drawing a blank.

At the bottom of practically every article on the PFSRD is a "Copyright Notice" area.
The bottom of the Hunter entry says:

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Advanced Class Guide © 2014, Paizo Inc.; Authors: Dennis Baker, Ross Byers, Jesse Benner, Savannah Broadway, Jason Bulmahn, Jim Groves, Tim Hitchcock, Tracy Hurley, Jonathan H. Keith, Will McCardell, Dale C. McCoy, Jr., Tom Phillips, Stephen Radney-MacFarland, Thomas M. Reid, Sean K Reynolds, Tork Shaw, Owen K.C. Stephens, and Russ Taylor.