PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Facing Rules

geekintheground
2014-08-27, 02:56 PM
are there any pros to introducing facing rules?

i've read a bit about it, and it seems like generally a bad idea, what do you guys think?

heavyfuel
2014-08-27, 03:11 PM
I've played a single session with them. They're ok, but I did find that they detracted from the imagination element of a battle. Like, why on earth are you staring at the wizard (because you're hitting him) when there are two barbarians at your side you seem to be ignoring completely?

The rules also make it more difficult for new players. Not by a lot, but gods know they need all the help they can get if we're talking 3.x and its absurd amount of rules.

Also, I found them to be too much bookkeeping, especially without Minis. Actually, Minis are pretty much required to play with facing rules. We usually use dice, and it was so annoying trying to remember the face of everyone without a body for reference.

All in all, I think they add very little to the game, and aren't worth the effort, but it's still nice to try them with your table and see if they end up preferring it.

Fax Celestis
2014-08-27, 03:12 PM
I've only found facing rules to be relevant and worthwhile in a game where combat is most likely lethal, and you should be sneaking around instead.

Khedrac
2014-08-28, 01:07 AM
The other thing is that Facing rules generally affect melees the most and casters the least - and it's usually accepted on these boards that melees need help and love and casters don't.

troqdor1316
2014-08-28, 01:12 AM
Honestly, if talking is a free action that you can take even when it's not your turn, I see no reason that turning your head shouldn't be one as well. That's just my opinion, but with that in mind, I can't see why facing would be particularly relevant in most situations.

JusticeZero
2014-08-28, 01:30 AM
Right.. it's a whole lot of hassle for very little gain, and the main effect is to make life harder on the Monks and Fighters while leaving the Wizard, Druid, and Cleric happily dishing out mayhem as before.