PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference between 3.5 and 5e?

IllogicalBlox
2014-08-27, 03:10 PM
From what I've seen (which isn't much, admittedly), 5e bears a huge resemblence to 3.5. It has: more complex math, measures distances in feet (which I dislike; probably because I'm a very tactical player), you gain class/race features as you increase in level, and some others that I've forgotten.

These are all 3.5e rules and ideas.

Yuki Akuma
2014-08-27, 03:26 PM
The difference is 1.5.

Merc_Kilsek
2014-08-27, 03:28 PM
From what I've seen (which isn't much, admittedly)

Information is out there with the free basic rules. It doesn't have all the extra bit of rules like the book but it is a solid start.

5e bears a huge resemblence to 3.5. It has: more complex math, measures distances in feet (which I dislike; probably because I'm a very tactical player), you gain class/race features as you increase in level, and some others that I've forgotten.

Resemblance: Just a opinion there, I don't see it myself. At least not in full - I see a bit from 2nd/3rd/4th.
Complex: I would say a little less then most other edition but D&D is still a rules crunchy system.
Measuring Distance: Really? Feet are to complex for someone that is a tactical player? 5' = 1 square, been that way for a long time.
Class/race feature: Just like any other editions, just each edition had different ways of expressing growth.

Some ideas, sure. All? No - not even close.

obryn
2014-08-27, 03:29 PM
The difference is 1.5.
I'd go with 10.0914091423, myself. :smallsmile:

Otherwise, OP - it's most clearly related to 3e, but less broken.

Chaosvii7
2014-08-27, 03:29 PM
more complex math

I'm sorry, but whoever gave you this info was poorly misinformed. The math is as simple as it ever could be - you roll and add your ability score modifier. If it's something you're proficient in, you add a bonus based on your level. Besides that, there's very little extra math. The rest is representative in Advantage or Disadvantage, which means that instead of gaining small bonuses (a +1 here or a +2 here - those are gone) you roll 2d20s and take the highest(Advantage) or the lowest(Disadvantage).

So the most complex math is 1d20 + your ability score modifier + your proficiency bonus.

measures distances in feet (which I dislike; probably because I'm a very tactical player)

So then wouldn't you want it measured in feet instead? That means, among other things, that you can get more precise movement and don't have to be limited to a grid. And if you want the tactical play, you can still use a grid and measure in squares(there's rule for it buried in the Combat chapter of the Player's Handbook and Basic Rules).

you gain class/race features as you increase in level)

You gain all race features immediately when you make your character. They might scale(as in, get better), but you don't have features you have to unlock from your race. You get all of your race's benefits to start.

You do gain class features as you level.

...Is that a bad thing? It's just like getting points to buy powers in Edge of The Empire(and Dungeon World IIRC), or getting extra powers like in 4e. That's how you get rewarded for leveling: With class features and eventually ability score improvements. It's the mechanical component to your character becoming more experienced.

This system was designed to use a wide array of rules constructs from the other editions before it and create a new game that's got a look like the others but a feel all it's own. It's got 3.5 ideas - it's got 2e ideas. It's got 4e ideas. It's even gotten a few design cues from other systems that have helped shape it in the way it is.

Mr.Moron
2014-08-27, 03:33 PM
It's certainly in the same style of 3.X. In general they've got a much more coherent system, where a lot of things like class structure and effects follow common templates.

The math has been compressed with circumstances where you're facing more than 1 situational modifier being uncommon, and more than 2 being rare indeed. Martial Types are mostly functional in their roles out of the box and with a cautious GM won't be entirely outclassed by casters, even if magic still does ultimately rule the day.

Stat caps and the the limitation on the stat caps mentioned above generally mean you'll rarely get to the point where things are happening only on a "1" or only on a "20" even when dealing with the same challenges on very different ends of the level spectrum.

Classes all have their own distinct mechanics a Sorcerer is going to feel different than a Wizard, and a Monk is going to feel different than a Paladin. Where before they were really just variations on cast spells and hit things respectively. They still do those things, but with diverse enough mechanics they don't seem like as much of a re-hash.

Conditions are clearly defined and easy to use, and have less overlap. Things are generally less fiddly, and you have fewer charts to refer to.

Snails
2014-08-27, 04:24 PM
The big difference is that you have fewer decision points in chargen and leveling up.

Picking you race and class is about the same. But instead of having 1-3 feats (or equivalent) you pick a path/sub-class within you class.

Skills are framed in a nice simple way: something from your race, pick 2 from your class, pick from your background. It is not hugely different that 3.5 IMO, but it feels more natural. Oh, well, there are no skill points to track.

Feats? Well, you do not really have to worry about that. As you level up, you can just pump up your primary stat until you top off at 20. The out of the box Core feats are not something that a new player needs to think about -- I believe that is an overt design goal. You are not supposed to build kewl stacks of 3-4 feats. You will probably grab 1 or 2 over the course of a PC's long career, to add a little spicing. A few feat-lovers will do more, but whatever.

Mechanically, it is not all that different from 3.5, in general idea. The main thing is that fiddly factors like caster level have been removed. The spell is the spell, and what can be changed is the spell slot.

Spell preparation is different, but I think that players will find it easier to work with in play. It is a hybrid between 3.5 wiz prep and 3.5 sorceror prep. I think most people will like it.

Kurald Galain
2014-08-27, 04:57 PM
From what I've seen (which isn't much, admittedly), 5e bears a huge resemblence to 3.5. It has: more complex math, measures distances in feet (which I dislike

I agree; the game should clearly measure its distance in Smoot.

hawklost
2014-08-27, 04:58 PM
I agree; the game should clearly measure its distance in Smoot.

I always preferred cubits, but that is clearly an area, so that only works for certain spells I guess.

DCraw
2014-08-27, 08:02 PM
I'm sorry, but whoever gave you this info was poorly misinformed. The math is as simple as it ever could be - you roll and add your ability score modifier. If it's something you're proficient in, you add a bonus based on your level. Besides that, there's very little extra math. The rest is representative in Advantage or Disadvantage, which means that instead of gaining small bonuses (a +1 here or a +2 here - those are gone) you roll 2d20s and take the highest(Advantage) or the lowest(Disadvantage).

So the most complex math is 1d20 + your ability score modifier + your proficiency bonus.

Yes and no. You're both right, really. At the table, the maths is incredibly simple (there are a few ad hoc bonuses, but they are very rare). Once you start to optimise a character, however, things get more complicated.

Dis/Advantage means that the change in expected damage from a +1 to hit is now dependent on the current needed roll. In 3.x, going from needing a 11 to a 10 increased your expected damage by 0.05*(Expected Damage), which is exactly the same as going from needing a 19 to an 18. Proportionally they may be different, but not in absolute numbers. In 5e, on the other hand, the above only applies if you don't have Advantage or Disadvantage. I don't have my notes with me, so I can't give you the exact numbers, but they do vary significantly between the middle of the spectrum to the extremes.

At the table, this is fine. Advantage = good, Disadvantage = bad is all you really need to know and it speeds up play greatly. It does, however, make CharOp substantially more difficult and complex, but not necessarily in ways that make that minigame more fun.

IllogicalBlox
2014-08-28, 05:38 PM

So then wouldn't you want it measured in feet instead? That means, among other things, that you can get more precise movement and don't have to be limited to a grid. And if you want the tactical play, you can still use a grid and measure in squares(there's rule for it buried in the Combat chapter of the Player's Handbook and Basic Rules).

You gain all race features immediately when you make your character. They might scale(as in, get better), but you don't have features you have to unlock from your race. You get all of your race's benefits to start.

You do gain class features as you level.

...Is that a bad thing? It's just like getting points to buy powers in Edge of The Empire(and Dungeon World IIRC), or getting extra powers like in 4e. That's how you get rewarded for leveling: With class features and eventually ability score improvements. It's the mechanical component to your character becoming more experienced.

This system was designed to use a wide array of rules constructs from the other editions before it and create a new game that's got a look like the others but a feel all it's own. It's got 3.5 ideas - it's got 2e ideas. It's got 4e ideas. It's even gotten a few design cues from other systems that have helped shape it in the way it is.
Ah, yeah... when I looked at it, I started seeing "1/4 encounter", and my brain just went "what the hell?"

I guess I'm a chess player at heart. I just... can't play without some form of visualization, and if people start moving
1 1/2 squares, I'm like "so... are you in my aura? Or are you affected by his?" and e.t.c.

Chaosvii7
2014-08-28, 06:12 PM
Ah, yeah... when I looked at it, I started seeing "1/4 encounter", and my brain just went "what the hell?"

I guess I'm a chess player at heart. I just... can't play without some form of visualization, and if people start moving
1 1/2 squares, I'm like "so... are you in my aura? Or are you affected by his?" and e.t.c.

No problem, I get the idea of theatre of the mind being a little paralyzing for visualization. I'm probably not going to keep it up when the DMG comes out. You can do it now, and it still works fine, it's just that there's a conversion rate to it.

2014-08-28, 08:20 PM
-Most classes are more or less balanced
-New fighter killed knight and marshal classes
-You can now summon a demon lord in 6 seconds, and it will only cost you 5000 gp and a 9th level spell slot
-They added electrum pieces to make coins confusing
-Druid cannot wild shape into anything useful in combat
-Sorcerer and warlock are confusingly similar
-Sorcerer freed himself from leeching off wizard's spells
-Divine classes other than favored soul can spontaneously cast
-It's more fun playing ranger than druid

Kaiisaxo
2014-08-28, 08:33 PM
-Sorcerer freed himself from leeching off wizard's spells

Actually this is bad, terribly bad. The sorcerer spell list is wildly reduced in utility without having any unique spell to make up for it. Before you could do fun things with magic beyond just combat, but now out of combat utility is severely reduced. I could understand them cutting named spells and some one use spells with heavy costs. But they cut more than just that and getting Earthquake at high level doesn't quite make up for that. Also for all this talk of being more different, they are more similar to wizards than ever before, except for spells known and spell selection, basically tey managed to make sorcerers pathetic and know they are indeed second class casters, even bards are better than them now