PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Incantatrix sorcerer help

Glodart
2014-08-27, 05:31 PM
So, I am about to start a game with a new character. What I see is Sorcerer 6/Incantatrix 10/Archmage 4. This character will focus on blowing up stuff and pure damage. Yes, I know, Ultimate destruction is not optimized, but whatever
The thing is, while the bonus Metamagic feats and improved Metamagic are nice, what I want to use is Metamagic effect. However, since I am a sorcerer, my intelligence is low and my Spellcraft will never be nearly as high as needed to have free Metamagic.
So, I want to know what are the various ways to boost my Spellcraft and what are the pros and cons of each way.
Thanks in advance!

Edit: oh, by the way, I am not in an optimized group, so nothing too cheesy please.

bjoern
2014-08-27, 06:20 PM
So, I am about to start a game with a new character. What I see is Sorcerer 6/Incantatrix 10/Archmage 4. This character will focus on blowing up stuff and pure damage. Yes, I know, Ultimate destruction is not optimized, but whatever
The thing is, while the bonus Metamagic feats and improved Metamagic are nice, what I want to use is Metamagic effect. However, since I am a sorcerer, my intelligence is low and my Spellcraft will never be nearly as high as needed to have free Metamagic.
So, I want to know what are the various ways to boost my Spellcraft and what are the pros and cons of each way.
Thanks in advance!

Edit: oh, by the way, I am not in an optimized group, so nothing too cheesy please.

Masterwork tool (spell craft) for a +2 circumstance for 50gp

Custom item with a competance bonus (bonus^2 x 100gp)

Minimum intelligence score of 14

Take item familiar feat at level 3 and invest every skill point you get into it. You get an untyped +1 bonus for every 3 skill points you get from level 4 onward.

Don't forget your +2 synergy from KA

Its tough as a sorcerer.

dextercorvia
2014-08-27, 06:25 PM
Shape Soulmeld: Mage's Spectacles for a +4

Join the Paragnostic Assembly for a +10 (eventually)

Item Familiar -- but you said not too cheesy, just mentioning it for completeness

Minor Schemas of Guidance of the Avatar and a decent UMD check. (A wand would also work, but you'd need to recharge it periodically.)

Glodart
2014-08-27, 06:40 PM
Shape Soulmeld: Mage's Spectacles for a +4

Join the Paragnostic Assembly for a +10 (eventually)

Item Familiar -- but you said not too cheesy, just mentioning it for completeness

Minor Schemas of Guidance of the Avatar and a decent UMD check. (A wand would also work, but you'd need to recharge it periodically.)

Where do all these things come from?
Except item familiar, which sounds too cheesy.

bjoern
2014-08-27, 06:52 PM

Item familiar isn't too cheesy if your just using it for the skill boost. When coupled with other feats it gets crazy. Really, this is the best way for a sorcerer to get his spell craft check to the DCs needed for persistent spell usually between 40 and 50

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-08-27, 06:54 PM

Soulmelds are in Magic of Incarnum. Shape Soulmeld is a feat from that book.

Paragnostic Assembly is in Complete Champion, it leads to the Paragnostic Apostle prestige class which is comparable to Archmage but you don't have to waste feats qualifying for it and it doesn't cost you spell slots.

Schemas can be found in Magic of Eberron, created by the Etch Schema feat, each one can be activated 1/day. Guidance of the Avatar (https://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a) is right there.

Item Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm) effectively doubles your ranks in a skill.

Furthermore, as a Sorcerer I'd strongly recommend an Ancestral Relic Runestaff (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?267805-Sorcerer-Handbook#4). You could even add a Competence bonus of up to +30 to that. Make it an Elvencraft (RotW) Composite Longbow, which counts as both a quarterstaff and a bow. You'll need to buy Masterwork three times for that, but you should also be able to put three Wand Chambers from Dungeonscape in it. Any time you're holding it you're considered to be holding each wand it contains, so immediate-action wands can be used without switching what you're holding. I'd put wands of Benign Transposition, Nerveskitter, and Wings of Cover in that.

Glodart
2014-08-27, 07:16 PM
Item familiar isn't too cheesy if your just using it for the skill boost. When coupled with other feats it gets crazy. Really, this is the best way for a sorcerer to get his spell craft check to the DCs needed for persistent spell usually between 40 and 50

While the confusion is understandable, my sorcerer will not use persist (blasphemy! Burn the heretic!). While I would normally jump at the occasion of having day-long spells for me and my team, like I said, this particular Sorcerer is focused on dealing damage, and will use Metamagic feats like Empower spell, Maximize, Split ray, Twin spell, Fell drain, Widen (or enlarge, can't remember which one boosts the AoE), Explosive, etc. anything that kills.

Oh, on a side note, while the bonuses are considerable, the Paragonistic Assembly is too much scholarly oriented (yes I know, the typical sorcerer who does not like libraries, sue me).