PDA

View Full Version : Fiendscape: Rise of Yednil - IC

Pages : [1] 2

kinem
2014-08-27, 07:33 PM
Gehenna

The dim glow from a nearby lava flow quickly dissipates into the vast black void above and out. Far above, the vast mount of Chamada appears as little more than a small, red moon.

Cut into the slope of Khalas is a winding step-path, but the cave is some distance from that path, and can only be reached by climbing or flight.

This place, though a few miles from the vast bazaar known as the Teardrop Palace, is still isolated enough to serve as an emergency meeting point for the powerful fiends who now file into the cave.

They know that the arcanaloth Grebuzzer is dead, slain by powerful baatezu led by a pit fiend; many witnesses saw the event. But did the baatezu know that Grebuzzer had already shared the results of his long research?

Powerful though they are, the fiends entering the cave know they must act soon. Having ingested a crystalline fragment of the ancient tanar'ri lord Yednil, his essence now grows in each of them. Grebuzzer believed that the demon's soul would migrate to but one body, where it grew the fastest - taking that body and freeing the others. But which body?

Grebuzzer's research was directed towards finding more fragments, which could be used to free him - and the ones now gathered here - from this curse, by feeding enough to some other poor sod so that Yednil would end up in him.

There might be more fragments somewhere in Gehenna, but the research was no help with that; all of the known fragments on the plane were already consumed. Yet there are other possible options for these fiends:

1 - Baator itself surely holds much of the crystal, for it was on that plane that Yednil had been defeated eons ago, after a great Blood War battle, by transforming him into crystal. In making a return the way he is, his powers of regeneration were underestimated even by the baatezu. Yet they are now wise to the threat, and the site of the battle - though revealed in Grebuzzer's notes which the fiends here now possess - is surely heavily guarded, for the baatezu would stop at nothing to prevent the return of their old enemy.

2 - On the Grey Waste of Hades, Grebuzzer had once studied an ancient device built into a cavern there. The device was a sort of orrery, or perhaps more accurately, a giant doomsday clock; it showed the movements of the planes and the flux of other forces both concrete and abstract, predicting future upheavals and - Grebuzzer thought - the end of days. In any case, there had been a crystal there, which Grebuzzer later came to believe was one of the Yednil fragments. Yet that had been many years ago, and the crystal might no longer be there, while new inhabitants could well have moved in there.

3 - The prison plane of Carceri is home to gehreleths who sometimes roam the planes and collect all sorts of items. Grebuzzer discovered that one of the crystals had been found by a shator named Rehfrang. Yet the crystals' pull now grows stronger as Yednil's power grows, and if the powerful shator still has the crystal, he is likely to be reluctant to part with it. Worse, the gehreleths seldom let anyone or anything leave their prison.

4 - Yednil's old stronghold deep in the Abyss is believed to have been abandoned, but some of his followers might have regrouped there after the battle, and perhaps buried what pieces of their master's shattered crystalline body they could get their claws on. Yet the Abyss is a dangerous place and change comes frequently there; if the ancient stronghold remains, it seems unlikely to be uninhabited.

The task now for the fiends gathered here is to choose which gambit to take on first.

drack
2014-08-27, 08:45 PM
Brant Hellford entered, crossing the floor in but a few steps, swift and disciplined. The great demon chuckled to himself as he sat upon the rough stone. He;d once executed fifty lesser demons here. It had been a fun event... for him anyway. His tentacles snapped impatiently against the ground as he ran his fingers through his murky orange hair. Like embers and flame it seemed to spark to life, but then it was still again. Patiently he waited for the others, baring his blade and touching it to the stone, watching the frost that it left in it's wake.

NotScaryBats
2014-08-28, 12:41 AM
Heralded by the scent of brimstone and trailing ash, Nul the Ultroloth enters the cave. Its inscrutable visage passes over the other inhabitants of the cave. The powerful yugoloth's cloak flickers in a gentle breeze, and it has a coiled whip on its hip. Quietly taking a position standing by a wall, Nul soundlessly awaits the others.

Nul has Air Walk, Detect Scrying and See Invisibility up.

blazinghand
2014-08-28, 05:06 AM
Ozazen winks into existence outside the cave, his ability of Greater Teleport bringing him exactly where he wanted. As he enters, he notes the other two who have arrived before him. Thinking back on it, it should have been obvious to the Arcanoloth that ingesting the crystal was a bad idea. And yet, hindsight is 20/20 as they say.

8 - Prismatic Wall, Quickened Dimensional Anchor, Greater Shadow Evocation
7 - Summon Monster VII, Finger of Death, Quickened Heightened Web, Plane Shift
6 - Greater Dispel Magic, Repulsion, True Seeing, Greater Heroism, Quickened Mirror Image, Summon Monster VI
5 - Summon Monster V, Wall of Stone, Quickened Shield, Quickened Grease, Extended Summon Monster IV, Feeblemind, Hold Monster
4 - Black Tentacles, Summon Monster IV, Dimension Door, Solid Fog, Extended Heroism, Extended Protection from Energy, Scrying
3 - Dispel Magic, Magic Circle against Good, Extended See Invisibility, Displacement, Summon Monster III, Clairaudience/Clairvoyance, Extended Mirror Image
2 - Mirror Image, Glitterdust, Web, Web, Detect Thoughts, Mirror Image, Blindness/Deafnesss, Hideous Laughter
1 - Protection from Good, Protection from Evil, Shield, Shield, Mage Armor, Charm Person, Silent Image, Grease
0 - Resistance, Detect Magic, Detect Magic, Arcane Mark, Acid Splash

Ozazen observes the two for a moment, before stating, matter-of-factly, "I see I am not the only one in this predicament, in the wake of our mutual friend's death, and the prelude to a potential enemy's new life. Allow me to introduce myself: I am Ozazen the Arcanoloth. Although I was never Grebuzzer's apprentice. I learned much from him, and he sought the knowledge that I know seek. I hope not to be a vessel for this new incarnation, as there are... clearly, bad side effects. I intend to live a long and meaningful life of study and learning, not be a conduit for a powerful fiend's return.

But enough about me. Tell me about yourselves."

drack
2014-08-28, 06:05 AM
" 'at rotten 'astard tricked me! Crystal of power he says, more 'n enough payment he says, highly sought after he says. Now where's 'e at? Dead, that's where he's at." Suddenly the anger drops from his voice, remaining only in his eyes where it burns with raging intensity. That man was a useless fool, but how's about we go make a mess of the whole thing. I hear some gehreleths have one of these crystals, and i figure you all want to shove it down some infant's throat to save your hides, but regardless of my stake in this I'm not working probono so lets try to go after one with some other goods.

Deadline
2014-08-28, 09:48 AM
Outside the entrance to the cave, a creature of nightmare made manifest claws its way out of the shadow of a tall stone. Its large, horned head covered in a mass of pustules and scar tissue would be comically large on its gaunt frame, if the creature weren't surrounded by a pervading sense of wrongness. Even the planar fabric of Gehenna seemed to react to it, vibrating ever so slightly with each step it took. Its yellow, puss-filled eyes looked out over the mountainside and the tiny blot on the landscape that was the distant bazaar before it began hobbling toward the cave, whispering to itself.

Neshrak Ap'Thelkar, the Sage of Anguish, had arrived at the gathering of a small handful of powerful Yugoloths. As he walked in on the conversation in the cave, the ancient proto-fiend turned his sallow gaze on each fiend in the room. He tilted his head as though listening to the whisper of some unseen conspirator before nodding once in satisfaction and moving to stand near the entrance to listen, for now letting his presence be all the introduction he needed.

Divine Insight
Mind Blank
Unholy Aura

NotScaryBats
2014-08-28, 11:45 AM
"I would put even money down that some berk has moved into the old fiend's citadel," Nul begins smoothly. Its voice is smooth and sibilant. "It is probably trying to consolidate power, but anybody on the rise is weakest when no one knows their name. So I say we hit the citadel in the dark. The peery baatezu have no ears in the Abyss, so they will not get word of it before we have moved on to mark number two." The Ultroloth spreads its hands in a 'simple as that' expression.

drack
2014-08-28, 11:50 AM
"Cults keep poor coffers, where will I find my pay?" Brant asks, mild offense apparent in his tone.

NotScaryBats
2014-08-28, 12:04 PM
"Way I see it, it is not a cult -- but a Tanar'ri on the rise. But if you have a better idea that will not prematurely tip our hand to the Baatezu, then by all means, share with the group."

drack
2014-08-28, 12:09 PM
"I already did." Brant replies, annoyance still in his voice, but not an ounce of it in his face as fierce bloodlost and demonic hunger bring out his best of smiles. "I said that I hear some gehreleths have one of these crystals. Gehreleths who are like to have other things too, for instance my pay.

blazinghand
2014-08-28, 12:16 PM
"His old stronghold in the abyss is probably our best bet for both treasures and finding what we want. Although it's certainly occupied by someone else now, it's the most logical place to for crystals to be hidden. Anywhere else and someone would be keeping them of guarding them. At his old stronghold, they might just be buried in secret."

Deadline
2014-08-28, 12:23 PM
At mention of Yednil's former stronghold, Neshrak chuckles quietly. His voice comes out in a crackling rasp that makes itself heard throughout the room, "Yes, and what happens when we find another crystal? Who is going to pay the music? All the shards of this upstart pretender will do us no good without a body to cram them into. No, we need to find a gully for Yednil to bang around in and make sure he doesn't tumble to what we are doing. As long as we have that, the where we start is less important than what we find. The citadel is as good a place to start as any." He turns his gaze to Brant and stares at him for a long moment as a thin line of drool drips from the corner of his mouth to the floor.

"Payment? Perhaps you wish to play host to Yednil, eh basher?" Neshrak lets out a wet, choking sound - possibly a stifled laugh.

drack
2014-08-28, 12:23 PM
Brant shrugs accepting the idea out of hand. "So long as I'm not wasting my time for free."

blazinghand
2014-08-28, 03:03 PM
Ozazen nods, and says, "A valid point. We will need to locate a new host. But we need not do it immediately; we might as well collect what we can, then find someone suitable.

And you, you know what happens if we don't get this done, don't you? There WILL be a host, and his body and mind will be subverted and used, consumed utterly and cast into oblivion. The host will likely be whoever has absorbed most of the former body. Not being eternally destroyed should be payment enough! If we gather shards and feed them to someone, that person will be the host and we will all live to see another epoch.

drack
2014-08-28, 03:15 PM
Brant Hellford grimaces. "Such petty concerns, are you truly a noble demon? I see three others before me that may become the host and there may yet be many more beyond that. My odds aren't half bad even before I consider the advantages I bear over this force that seeks to posses us through sheer might alone. If you have so little faith in your own strength then perhaps it is you who will serve as host. Still, I am a mercenary, so why not chase after a bit of coin between jobs?"

blazinghand
2014-08-28, 03:24 PM
Ozazen ponders for a moment, then replies, "I don't mean to say that our goals are mutually inconclusive. I won't go out of my way to seek wealth and coin; that's not my goal, nor is it my general interest. I thirst for knowledge. I feel certain that we shall claim treasures other than the crystals in the vaults which contain them. After all, who makes a vault only for a crystal without also storing other valuables there?

However, I will not go out of my way to search for treasure when my very being could be destroyed by this possession. Perhaps there are dozens who have swallowed crystals. Perhaps it is only we who are gathered here. Either way, it's not clear who Yednil would posses. Would it be the weakest, that he might easily subvert them? Or maybe the strongest, that he might have a powerful form to begin with? I cannot guess as to what criteria apply, other than that one who has swallowed many crystals will be a more suitable host.

Perhaps you can resist Yednil. Perhaps not; maybe he will be drawn to your strength, or pushed away from it. There are many unknowns in this situation. I suggest we work with what knowledge we do have, to minimize the chance of Yednil taking one of us.

If we find a suitable host and feed it enough crystals, Yednil might find his return easier and reward us, even. There are many reasons to seek them out."

drack
2014-08-28, 03:36 PM
"Yes, which is all well and good and makes for a nice bonus to go with my pay." Brant Hellford replies stubbornly.

I confess I'm none too great with young/rash characters, but I think I'm doing quite well here. :smalltongue:

NotScaryBats
2014-08-28, 03:59 PM
Nul folds its arms across its chest, pleased that the other Yugoloths here, at least, agreed that the best place to start would be the Abyss. "I trust I do not need to remind everyone here that this is quite likely the first job of many. There will be time for plunder and whatnot during this foray and those that follow."

The Ultroloth tries to think of the best way to reach the citadel they have chosen as their primary target.

Deadline
2014-08-28, 04:37 PM
Neshrak shakes his head at the mercenary fiend's insistence on payment. "There will be spoils no matter where we go, and you will be entitled to a share of them." He points a gnarled finger tipped with a vicious talon at Null, "This one speaks the truth. It is in our best interest to find as many shards as we can. Rest assured, we will visit Carceri and play with the vain toys of Apomps."

kinem
2014-08-28, 09:33 PM
Based on Grebuzzer's notes (and what you know of the planes):

To reach Ter-Yednil, the ancient stronghold, you must first travel to the town of Broken Reach on the Plane of Infinite Portals, the first layer of the Abyss (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abyss_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)). One way to reach it is to summon a marraenoth (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?365998-Marraenoloth-(revised)-PEACH) and book passage along the river Styx to the Abyss. Once there, you must persuade one of the local demons - perhaps the succubus sorcerer Red Shroud, ruler of Broken Reach - to show you which portal leads to the layer of the Abyss known as the Steaming Fens. Once in the Fens, you must find the hill known as Redcap, where another portal should lead you to Ter-Yednil.

drack
2014-08-29, 12:08 AM
Brant nods thoughtfully as one of the better informed party members informs him of this. "Yes and we should get an army, something full of miserable souls that can die needlessly at the gates while we slip in the side of their fortress."
It was common practice for demons of his caliber to strong arm lesser demons into doing some grunt work now and again, so it wasn't surprising that he expected to risk an army of lesser demons in the hopes that it may give them some edge. "Once we signal them that is, no need to tip off our prey early."

Deadline
2014-08-29, 10:09 AM
Neshrak's unblinking eyes stare at nothing for a moment before replying, "An army would draw too much undue attention. Such a thing would be best reserved for scouring the site in Baator where Yednil fell. Though I see no reason we could not gather up a few pets for the ride."

He turns to look at Ozazen, "The most expedient route to travel to Broken Reach would be on the Styx. Alternatively, we could transit via planar shift and then teleport. Do you possess such magic?"

blazinghand
2014-08-29, 01:25 PM
Ozazen nods. "I can bring us across the planes, and can put us within a couple hundred miles of our destination. Right now, I am not prepared to bring a group with me for an in-plane teleport. I used most of my ability to do that in order to get here today. With some rest, I will be able to do it again-- tomorrow, that is. We could shift to the plane we want to go to, then I could teleport us to the correct location the next day. Alternatively, we could wait here for a day and I could do both back-to-back."

drack
2014-08-29, 01:41 PM
casually Brant Hellford suggests "It would be better were you able to get us out of there when we get there just in case."

blazinghand
2014-08-29, 01:45 PM
Ozazen says, "Then it would be most prudent to wait a day. I can focus on transportation energies and give us the ability to come and go quickly."

NotScaryBats
2014-08-29, 10:25 PM
"Once we are on the proper layer, are we not all capable of teleporting ourselves?" Nul asks.

drack
2014-08-29, 10:42 PM
Brant snorts loudly. "Teleporting is no sure business, best we stay together then be spread across the plane, and better someone more versed in the lore of the region casts the spell."

Ironically I nearly gave brant the ability to planeshift the party, but then I saw someone else already had that.

Anywho fluff IC on lore I just mean someone smarter then Brant. :smallwink:

NotScaryBats
2014-08-29, 10:52 PM
Nul spreads its clawed hands in a shrug. "Fair enough," it concedes.

Deadline
2014-09-02, 09:57 AM
"The longer we sit around rattling our bone-boxes, the less time we have to fix this issue." Neshrak sweeps his gaze over the assembled fiends, "There is no need to wait a day when we can travel the Styx now. Let us gather here," Neshrak pushes a series of images into the minds of the group via telepathy. The presence of his mind is akin to thousands of tiny biting insects crawling up the inside of one's spine. The images are of a simple, quiet bend of the River Styx here on Gehenna. "And begin this ride. Or let us wait a day, transit through a planar fold, and teleport to our destination. We are all capable of such things, and if this sort of obstacle stands in our way, then one of us is surely doomed to play host to Yednil. Whatever we do, let us not sit here discussing our options until Yednil returns."

The fiend turns to Nul, "It is still the purpose of the Ultroloths to lead, is it not? If so, then choose a path and lead. So long as you aren't addle-coved, I will follow."

drack
2014-09-02, 10:03 AM
Brant Hellford shrugs consistence to this.

NotScaryBats
2014-09-02, 10:09 AM
"Ozazen will tailor its spells to suit this specific task, then. Let us meet back here tomorrow to properly begin this journey."

-----

Nul returns to the cave the next day, now that everyone is prepared and ready to use Ozazen's magic to covertly travel the planes.

blazinghand
2014-09-02, 11:15 AM
Ozazen nods to the others. Good to see we're all back here. I'm now ready to transport us and move us around freely. I can bring us across planes twice, teleport us without failure twice, and teleport us with some chance of failure twice today. Are we ready to travel across the planes?

8 - Prismatic Wall, Quickened Dimensional Anchor, Greater Shadow Evocation
7 - Greater Teleport, Greater Teleport, Plane Shift, Plane Shift
6 - Greater Dispel Magic, Repulsion, True Seeing, Greater Heroism, Quickened Mirror Image, Summon Monster VI
5 - Summon Monster V, Teleport, Teleport, Quickened Shield, Quickened Grease, Extended Summon Monster IV,Hold Monster
4 - Black Tentacles, Summon Monster IV, Dimension Door, Solid Fog, Extended Heroism, Extended Protection from Energy, Scrying
3 - Dispel Magic, Magic Circle against Good, Extended See Invisibility, Displacement, Summon Monster III, Clairaudience/Clairvoyance, Extended Mirror Image
2 - Mirror Image, Glitterdust, Web, Web, Detect Thoughts, Mirror Image, Blindness/Deafnesss, Hideous Laughter
1 - Protection from Good, Protection from Evil, Shield, Shield, Mage Armor, Charm Person, Silent Image, Grease
0 - Resistance, Detect Magic, Detect Magic, Arcane Mark, Acid Splash

NotScaryBats
2014-09-02, 11:23 AM
Nul nods its featureless face. "Indeed. I love the smell of the Abyss at this time of day."

blazinghand
2014-09-02, 02:16 PM
Sensing the others' consent, Ozazen says, For this spell, we will need to gather around in a circle and join hands. There we go. The shift will be instantaneous, and inaccurate at first. Once we're on-plane, I can teleport us exactly anywhere we want on the plane that isn't explicitly warded against teleportation, and whose location I know. My plan is to plane shift us to the Plane of Infinite Portals, close to the town of Broken Reach. After the plane shift, don't let go-- I'll be immediately teleporting us to the town of Broken Reach, where we may be able to find a portal to Steaming Fens.

As the others link arms, Ozazen says, Oh, one last thing-- everyone has to lower their magical shielding. Our innate defenses against magic will resist my magic even if we're willing. Okay, good. Here we go.

Now that everyone's SR is down, he speaks the arcane words and says the gestures, and the spell takes hold, bending reality.

For a moment, a heartbeat, they all stop. Something rumbles deep within the planes, as magic bends spacetime to draw the bulks through void between realities. That heartbeat drags on and on, until an eternity and yet only an instant of subjective experience seems to come crashing down on them. With breath held and time stopped, there was no way to tell how much subjective time was passing, for time has no meaning between one reality and the next.

How long did they spend in that margin between hearthbeats, that error bar on the graph of reality? As far as anyone can measure, no time at all.

Briefly, they are somewhere on the Plane of Infinite Portals, [roll0] miles from the town of Broken Reach. Then, as they still hold hands, Ozazen says the next incantation, and they are teleported without fail to the town. Ozazen lets go.

Welcome to Broken Reach, comrades.

Spells cast: Plane Shift x1 and Greater Teleport x1

Deadline
2014-09-02, 03:00 PM
Neshrak nods to Ozazen and the others, "Now we simply need to find the Steaming Fens. It has been some time since I last had cause to visit here. There is a succubus who rules this city, or was. She will likely know the dark on the portal we seek. We should start there unless any of you are better informed." He suddenly turns his gaze to a particular section of the city and remains transfixed for a moment before adding, "We may also be able to find a tout with the information elsewhere in this wretched ruin."

Spells currently up:
Divine Insight
Mind Blank
True Seeing
Unholy Aura

blazinghand
2014-09-02, 03:10 PM
Ozazen remains in telepathy with his allies, and casts some spells about himself as he communicates. I'm not familiar with this town, but I'm sure we can find someone who will help us.

His appearance shifts to that of a different arcanoloth, and warps slightly until it's not clear to the average viewer that this is Ozazen. Magical protections weave around him as he lifts into the air and blurs into invisibility. I'm still here, just invisible. It might be prudent for one of us to stay somewhat obscured during any interactions with the locals.

Cast Mage Armor, Disguise Self, Invisibility

NotScaryBats
2014-09-02, 05:06 PM
Nul, too, redoubles its magical protections, then leads the way into the city. With a casual and comfortable air, the Ultroloth begins attempting to pinpoint the location of Red Shroud.

Gather Information [roll0] How am I not trained in this? Oh well

kinem
2014-09-02, 09:47 PM
The Abyss

Overhead, a large red sun bathes the plane in oppressive heat. Small flocks of vulture-demons can be seen flying in the distance.

The landscape itself is cracked and stony. Twisted bushes grow in clumps seemingly at random. Huge pits dot the reddish plain.

Broken Reach is a very small trading town in the shadow of a crumbling, many-towered stone fortress. You see succubi, rilmani, mercane, tieflings, half-fiends of various sorts, a few vrocks, and even some humans in the town. A huge glabrezu demon towers over the mercane he is haggling with.

When Nul inquires about Red Shroud, the tieflings he speaks to point to the entrance of the fortress and back away from the group.

The metal portcullis that guards the huge door to the fortress is up, although the door is closed. The metal looks like it might be bronze, but has somewhat of a reddish tint. The metal door knocker is shaped like a human hand, and the door appears to be wooden, producing a deep thump when struck. A lens set into the door allows someone inside to see who approaches.

A succubus answers the door; she is clad in leather armor. She looks over the group. A hallway stretches behind her, lit by everburning torches. The hallway is lined with large stone statues in the shape of nude human males.

"Greetings" she says. "I am Ferrella. Broken Reach is a place for trade and comfort. Violence here is not tolerated by my mistress, but the wise can gain much here. What can I do for you?"

NotScaryBats
2014-09-02, 10:16 PM
"Violence ill suits our needs. I would know which of the portals will take us to the Steaming Fens. Must we treat with your mistress to learn such a tidbit, or will you share the knowledge with us?" The Ultroloth speaks in its easy, collected manner, bulging eyes and featureless face showing no emotion.

blazinghand
2014-09-03, 02:51 AM
Ozazen waits for the succubus' response to Nul's inquiry. If she plans to share the knowledge here, immediately, there would be no need to reveal himself.

kinem
2014-09-03, 08:55 AM
The succubus replies "I can get that information for you. What do you propose in trade? Even for such powerful beings as yourselves, nothing here comes for free."

NotScaryBats
2014-09-03, 09:15 AM
Nul seems to consider for a moment. There was a time in its life it would have destroyed the lesser demon for its impudence, but those days were long in the past. It would be nice to play a game of chance with the information riding on the outcome, but it would seem that time is of the essence. With this in mind, Nul the Ultroloth reaches into its sleeve and removes a small but well-cut emerald. It holds the stone out to the succubus, "It matches your eyes," the yugoloth says smoothly, its own bulging eyes unblinking.

Do synergy bonuses stack? I have ranks in both bluff and sense motive, so do I get +2 or +4 to my diplo checks?
So, I believe I get +26 to the roll. Ranks are 16 (I think, I just used the default skills you had in there) +8 Cha +2 synergy (+2 more if they stack)

Anyway, assuming +26, I diplomance her [roll0]
The emerald is worth 100 gp, I will subtract from my remaining wealth.

Deadline
2014-09-03, 09:43 AM
Neshrak watches the exchange, glowering at Ferrella but saying nothing. When Nul offers the emerald, Neshrak sends a telepathic message to the Ultroloth, << You use far too soft a touch for my tastes, but then perhaps you get better results. I would have offered her the sum in stingers myself. Her form belies just how ... durable this particular breed of Tanar'ri is. >>

I just realized that I haven't really described Neshrak.
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100315131246/forgottenrealms/images/d/d4/Baernaloth.PNG

Neshrak is, like all of his kind, disturbing to behold. However, he is particularly hideous. Much of the left side of his head is free of covering skin, revealing the muscle tissue and bone underneath. Bilious drool collects at left corner of his mouth, and either drips to the floor with a sizzle, or flies free when he is shouting in rage. His yellow, milky eyes ooze a slow but constant stream of pus that runs down his cheeks and then back along his jawline to drip onto the tattered robes and cloak that conceal most of the rest of his form. His too long arms end in hands made comically large by sharp talons. Atop his horned head, there is a circlet of silver that appears to be stapled to his flesh. Occasionally, he wears an eyepiece over one eye to examine magical artifacts more closely. The eyepiece is crusted around the edges with crystallized pus, and forms a seal over his eye which rapidly fills the interior of the eyepiece with that gooey yellow fluid.

He has a habit of watching empty, dark corners, and listening intently when there is nothing to be heard. When dealing with other creatures, his rarely turns his unsettling gaze away from them, and always seems to be looking at something more than their physical appearance.

kinem
2014-09-03, 09:59 AM
She smiles, and takes the gem, examining it. Then she hands it back to Nul.

"Wait here while I find the information. To avoid misunderstanding, hang on to the gem until I return."

She closes the door. A few minutes later, she opens it again, steps out, closes the door behind her and accepts the emerald.

She leads you to a large open pit a few hundred yards behind the fortress. A few large monoliths serve as landmarks here on the otherwise flat plain. She pulls out a square piece of leather with a crude map drawn on it, studies the surrounding terrain, then nods, satisfied. Many similar pits gape at irregular intervals here, separated by a hundred yards or so.

"This one leads to the Steaming Fens. It is a one-way portal. I hope we can do business again sometime."

The pit is about 30' wide (wider than most of the pits) and at least that deep. Looking down into it you see only absolute blackness.

Skill synergy bonuses stack.

NotScaryBats
2014-09-03, 09:58 PM
Nul replies to the Baernaloth telepathically <<Violence bores me. I find that the more I use the stick, the more callous a hide becomes. It is so tiresome to constantly flex and spit when a simple gem got us a friendly escort>>

At the portal, the Ultroloth gestures quite grandly for a 30 foot pit of darkness, and says "Shall we?"

It will cast Invisibility on itself and then enter the portal first, unless someone else wants the honor.

blazinghand
2014-09-04, 04:41 PM
Ozazen nods, approvingly (though he is too invisible for the nod to be noticeable). It was well-handled. Though Neshrak is right that we could have simply taken what we wanted, there are times for a lighter touch, and this was one of them.

Yes, let's go. I hunger to know what mysteries await us. He passes through at the same time as Nul.

Deadline
2014-09-04, 05:16 PM
Neshrak shrugs, the expression painfully alien on his frame, and mentally responds << I find that pain produces excellent results. When the truth is laid bare like an exposed nerve, pure agony allows no room for dishonesty, no room to hide secrets. But as I said, you have clearly gotten excellent results with your methods.>> He begins chuckling at the thought, << The illusion of civility coupled with a few baubles and trinkets lets their caution be silenced by their own greed!>> He begins to laugh at the thought, his body wracked by wet coughing spasms as much as by mirth.

After Nul and Ozazen jump into the pit, he leaps in after them, cackling madly.

kinem
2014-09-06, 02:23 PM
The fiends fall into blackness ...

With a plop, you land in a shallow swamp. Between the cushioning effect of the foul water and your tough body, you are not hurt by this.

The sky here is overcast, but it is uncomfortably hot and humid here. Sickly, slimy grass protrudes from the water. There are numerous insects both buzzing in the air and lurking in the water, some of which are a few inches long. Some sort of stinging insect tries to attack you, but is defeated by your tough hide.

Looking around, you see that there is higher ground in one direction. A steep hill composed of red, jagged rocks looks to be about a thousand yards from here. Near the top there you see a large cave mouth.

OOC: Let me know if you pass around any buffs.

NotScaryBats
2014-09-06, 09:55 PM
<<Here, allow me to give you the power to float above this fetid swamp. I do not relish being leapt upon by something camouflaged beneath turbid waters>> The Ultroloth telepathically informs its companions, as it treads upon the air and makes its way free of the smelly swamp, to stand about a foot above the waters.

If Nul is allowed, it will cast a 150 minute duration Air Walk on the party. Once this is complete, the invisible yugoloth will climb to about ten feet above the water.

blazinghand
2014-09-06, 10:47 PM
Thank you, Nul, but I will be able to fly under my own power-- make sure to help the others, however, because it is not a power I can share.

Invisibly, Ozazen rises above the canopy and looks out towards the hill. I'm not familiar with this land. Is anyone else?

drack
2014-09-06, 11:04 PM
Brant, who managed to pick a suitable landing point via a short distance dimensional door slips his icy blade through the ice freezing a patch, and dimensionally pops right onto it. Sliding his blade back and forth to make a path. When the spell is cast however he nods acknowledgement and steps up off the ice.

blazinghand
2014-09-07, 02:01 PM
Ozazen gestures invisible towards the red hill. That is probably redcap hill. They say it contains a two-way gate between the Fens and Ter-Yednil. We should head towards it to investigate. We can fly there or teleport, but given our unfamiliarity with this land, we might be safer flying and staying in the air than jumping into a situation we're unfamiliar with.

NotScaryBats
2014-09-07, 09:29 PM
"Yes, that sounds reasonable," Nul murmurs. If the yugoloths settle into a marching order, it will take up a position second or third from the front, the better to use its medium range whip from.

Deadline
2014-09-07, 11:22 PM
Neshrak lands with an undignified splash, still chuckling from a joke with a punchline only he seems to know. He nods at the offer of a flying spell, and then bobs up into the air like the others. When the reddish hill is mentioned, he agrees, "Yes, it is likely the one we seek." Seeing Nul settle into the middle of the group, Neshrak eyes the brash younger fiend, "Brandt, do you wish to lead, or shall I?"

As they travel, he pulls a small tome from his satchel and begins puzzling over it to determine if he can find mention of the portal key for the portal atop the hill.

Knowledge(The Planes) check with regards to the portal key, consulting his Tome of Worldly Memory for a +5 Competence bonus to the check: [roll0]

Mind Blank
Unholy Aura
Divine Insight
True Seeing

drack
2014-09-08, 05:40 AM
"Lets cover both flanks then since you're eager." Brant replies, the bloodlust back in his eyes.

kinem
2014-09-08, 08:41 PM
With Brant and Neshrak in the lead, and Nul and Ozazen close behind, the party of fiends walks up a stairway of air towards the top of the red rock hill - except for Ozazen, who more conventionally flies there.

There is a large, dark cave mouth at the top of the hill - at least 30' across.

With his true seeing, Neshrak can see a huge web covering most of the cave mouth, like a spiderweb. It is invisible to normal sight. The upper left corner is not covered by it.

Based on his knowledge of planar creatures, Neshrak can guess that it is probably the work of an arachlith - a huge and powerful spider-like demon. Arachliths tend to confuse enemies who see them, can poison other fiends, and those caught in their webs cannot escape by teleportation.

blazinghand
2014-09-08, 11:07 PM
Doesn't look like there's much else on this hill other than the cave. What we seek probably lies within, says Ozazen. Who wants to lead us in?

Deadline
2014-09-08, 11:19 PM
Neshrak raises his clawed hand and hisses, "Hold! There is an unseen danger here." He studies the open mouth of the cave for a moment nodding to himself before motioning his hand over the entrance, "Yes, yes. An invisible web meant to snare unwary fiends." He gives a rictus grin to the others, "No doubt an Arachlith seeking a meal. We can bypass it if we keep to the upper left of the entrance there, single file, but it's probably set up kip somewhere in the cave."

He pauses for a moment and casts a spell. As he does so, he utters a word of the Dark Speech, it's sound a stain even upon this blighted landscape. His form blurs briefly, then he appears to teleport a few feet away. "Make yourselves look like cutters, or get bobbed like the clueless."

Mind Blank
Divine Insight
Unholy Aura
Displacement
True Seeing

NotScaryBats
2014-09-08, 11:34 PM
Is Neshrak's Unholy Aura self only, or do we get the +4 AC and save bonus?
How does our Summon Yugoloth SLA work -- are the summoned creatures bound to our will, are they called in like Gate or just summoned creatures like Summon Monster I?

Nul stops with the others and is immediately quite grateful for the Baernaloth's mysterious insights. It grips Synryx's Thorn holds it at the ready. Once the group is ready to move out, Nul will warn its fellow fiends telepathically and then activate the wand hidden in the handle of the Balor's whip, casting Haste on the group. Because the transmutation will only last about 30 seconds, Nul waits until the group is ready to move forward before casting.

Deadline
2014-09-08, 11:42 PM
Is Neshrak's Unholy Aura self only, or do we get the +4 AC and save bonus?
How does our Summon Yugoloth SLA work -- are the summoned creatures bound to our will, are they called in like Gate or just summoned creatures like Summon Monster I?

Yep, the party members within 20' of Neshrak would benefit.

Deadline
2014-09-09, 09:37 AM
Neshrak steps into the air and moves toward the empty space in the web. "I have yet to come across the dark of where the portal is, or what its portal key is, so keep your senses extended." With that, he steps through the blank space in the web, leading the way for the group. He sweeps his vision around the cave as he goes, trying to spot any possible ambush.

Air Walk
Displacement
Divine Insight
Mind Blank
True Seeing
Unholy Aura

NotScaryBats
2014-09-09, 02:51 PM
Nul follows closely behind Neshrak, invisible and with its whip drawn and eyes peeled.

blazinghand
2014-09-10, 01:45 PM
Ozazen follows Nul, staying close and keeping his eyes open for enemies.

kinem
2014-09-10, 11:28 PM
The cave is dark, though you all have darkvision. There is a strong stench, as of rotten meat.

As the tunnel continues deeper, it widens into a huge cavern. A huge, spider-like creature lurks there. The arachlith has a body the size of a large horse, with legs spanning more than 14 feet. As it ambles towards you, you receive a telepathic message: Go away!

At the sight of the spiderlike fiend, you feel confused for an instant, but are able to snap out of it.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXX........................XXXXX
XX.........................XXXXX
X..........................XXXXX
X................XXXXX.....XXXXX
X...............XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
X...***........XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
X...***.........XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
X................XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXX..N..XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX..U...XXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX..O...XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX..B...XXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX......XXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.-----XXXXXXXXX

XXX = stone wall of cave
... = empty area
----- = web

N = Neshrak
U = Nul
O = Ozazen
B = Brant

*** = arachlith

OOC: It's a crude but quick and easy way to make a combat map.

OOC: I rolled initiative for everyone. First Nul, Ozazen, and Brant can act (in any order); then the arachlith acts; then all PCs can act (in any order), and the arachlith alternates with the party.

Whenever more than one PC is cleared to post actions (as right now 3 of them are), the actions will happen in the order in which you post. This is to speed combat, so we rarely need to wait for one particular player to post.

blazinghand
2014-09-10, 11:40 PM
Ozazen panics, briefly-- he did not expect anyone to be home, and hoped to slip in and out without notice, yet here they are up against a massive creature in its own nest, with who knows how many traps. Could they destroy it? Perhaps... but maybe he could get its interest, get it talking, long enough to forestall hostilities and end this without anyone getting bitten by such a dangerous fellow.

The large multi-legged creature used Telepathy to communicate. Ozazen is a language seer, but he realizes it's best to use the same medium of communication. Quickly, he bursts Hold on to his allies, then enters telepathic communication with the Outsider before him.

Diplomacy (at a -10 for making the check as a Full Round action rather than a 1 minute action): [roll0]
EDIT: it turns out, Ozazen actually has +21 to Diplomacy, not +17, so this result should be 4 higher, at 27.

We are sorry to intrude, sir. We shall retreat at once. We did not realize this was your home, and apologize deeply for the offense of our presence here. We mistook it for an audience chamber for you.

Ozazen bows low, despite being in a floating position in the air. Despite our rude intrusion, we seek an audience with you, if you would be so kind as to grant it to we lowly travelers.

NotScaryBats
2014-09-10, 11:49 PM
A couple quick questions:
1) Are we still under the effects of my Haste spell?
2) Did the arachlith save against my Hypnotic Gaze? DC 25 Will or be fascinated

Nul is about to open up with deadly force, but Ozazen's quick response stays its hand. Still, Nul is prepared to unleash a viscious assault on the creature at the first sign of hostility.

Nul EDIT readies an attacks with a Maximized, Empowered Orb of Force. [roll0] touch attack
on hit, 60 damage + one half of [roll1].
Roll to overcome SR [roll2]

Nul remains where it is (no move action)

drack
2014-09-11, 10:49 AM
Brant lowers his swords diplomatically, bowing his head respectfully towards the chamber..

Just gonna ready an action to attack if attacked. :smallsmile:

kinem
2014-09-11, 09:54 PM
ooc: See OOC post to come.

The arachlith replies telepathically Do not try to deceive me. Why are you here?

blazinghand
2014-09-11, 10:51 PM
Ozazen settles to the ground, thankful for the Wind Walk effect active on him. He dismisses the Invisibility and Disguise Self effects on him, showing the Arachlith his true face. He bows again, briefly, and replies.

I am Ozzie the Yugoloth. I am accompanying this group of Yugoloths. We are in search of a particular set of gems and treasures that we believe can only be found at Ter-Yednil, and with the traitor dead and gone, we hoped we might be able to safely access his vaults. I remembered from my studies that the gate to Ter-Yednil was here at Redcap Hill, but I had forgotten or perhaps had never learned that this place was occupied. I would like to apologize again for our intrusion.

Our goal is to take the gate to Ter-Yednil and return in a few days or a week through that gate. If the gate falls within your territory, we would be willing to offer you services, gems, or gold in return for access to the gate. I'm not sure how much of a spellcaster you are, but how does this sound for an opening bid: Each of my companions will offer you 250 gold pieces in gems or gold, and I will use my magic and a fragment of my essence to create a permanent enchantment for you or your lair.

Ozazen is broadcasting this telepathy to the Arachlith, as well as his teammates. At this moment, he sends a quick telepathic message to his teammates. If that price is not acceptable to everyone, I'd be willing to make up the difference in what would be paid in the form or spells or wealth at the end of this journey. If we have to beat a hasty retreat through the portal, I'd rather this arachlith be grateful for our generosity than willing to strike against us out of spite because we underpaid.

Ozzie turns his telepathy back into multicast to the Arachlith and his teammates. One such enchantment I could provide you right now with the spells I have available would be a Permanent Resistance, which would increase your ability to fend off all kinds of magic, that targeted at the body, the mind, or a general area and must be dodged. Although this spell will be vulnerable to dispelling like any other spell, it will never end on its own, and you will always be stronger for it.

If that does not strike your fancy, I can also generate permanent Webbing-- though I suspect you can make better webs yourself than anything I could create. Given some time to prepare, there are other effects I can create-- permanent walls, or illusions, or wards, if you would prefer defenses to your territory instead of an enchantment on your body.

So, you know our tale, and now you know our offer: 750 gold, and a permanent spell from my essence, for the usage of your portal to Ter-Yednil. A rich payment for simple passage through your territory, to make up for our transgressions. Do you agree to these arrangements?

NotScaryBats
2014-09-12, 12:19 AM
Nul is invisible but uncertain if the simple dweomer truly hides it from the spiderlike demon. It continues to silently observe the the arcanolith's diplomatic efforts, ready for treachery.

Deadline
2014-09-12, 11:54 AM
Ozazen is broadcasting this telepathy to the Arachlith, as well as his teammates. At this moment, he sends a quick telepathic message to his teammates. If that price is not acceptable to everyone, I'd be willing to make up the difference in what would be paid in the form or spells or wealth at the end of this journey. If we have to beat a hasty retreat through the portal, I'd rather this arachlith be grateful for our generosity than willing to strike against us out of spite because we underpaid.

Neshrak's mental presence bleeds into Ozazen's mind and replies,

"I think that I warned you against walking into a predator's den and appearing as prey! You are Ozazen! A mighty Arcanoloth specimen! And yet you grovel and bargain like a lowly Baatezu! You play at garnishing a native denizen of the Abyss, a being whose physical essence contains literal betrayal, as if the deal will be upheld by both parties." A rippling sound like laughter mixed with faint screams echoes through the mental link, "And that is what makes this an inspired plan. It is so barmy as to be actually believable. This poor sod thinks itself a spider welcoming flies into its parlor, but it is clearly not canny enough to recognize who we are and that the situation is reversed. We can bob it quick as you please, with it none the wiser. But if it does not accept your 'deal', then it will know us - truly know us - before we put it in the dead-book." There is a brief pause before he adds in an almost sheepish tone, "Had you informed me that you were going to attempt such a plan, I would have made sure to bring a sizeable amount of jink with me. As it is, I ... do not have enough."

kinem
2014-09-12, 01:30 PM
The arachlith replies

I am Klabdra. I can't accept your offer. I guard this place on behalf of the Queen of Chaos. The Queen rules Ter-Yednil now. If there is treasure there it's hers. I'll let you leave but you must go now. I don't seek battle with yugoloth high-ups but am well prepared for it if need be.

blazinghand
2014-09-12, 01:36 PM
Ozazen replies, Thank you for your fairness, Klabdra. Might we ask one more question, before we go, then? Though these treasures belong to the Chaos Queen, it's possible she may be willing to sell them to us in return for services, quests, or gold. We are powerful Yugoloths and have much we could offer her. How would we go about seeking an audience with the Chaos Queen?

drack
2014-09-12, 01:42 PM
"Yes, I've come seeking gold after all, and while it may be a treasure I doubt she'll be too hard pressed to part with it." Brant hellford adds unabashed.

Stepping closer he uses his short range telepathy to remind the others. "It will not do to leave every beggared demon from here to the gates of hell what we're after least they begin to put together why you're after these gems."

No bluff required as the statement was true, Brant seeks gold . :smallwink:

drack
2014-09-12, 01:53 PM
"In any case, I'll be taking my leave." Brant adds, fading from sight.

[roll0] hide
Also gonna cast true strike and blood frenzy on self just in case. :smallwink:

blazinghand
2014-09-12, 01:54 PM
Ozazen sends to his allies, Whether we kill this fiend or not, we still want to know how to get an audience with the Queen of Chaos. Maybe she'll be willing to part with the crystals for a low value, if she doesn't know what they are. If she knows what they are, that complicates things, but at the very least if we plan to fight her it will be easier to do it when we're in her audience chamber than via an assault from the outer walls.

drack
2014-09-12, 02:04 PM
Telepathicly Brant replies "It would be easier were she not prepared for us, and were she not with her guards at the audience hall. That said I will not insist on killing anyone useful to our cause, which leaves us to see where this spider falls in these regards..."

kinem
2014-09-12, 02:53 PM
Klabdra replies

The Queen's lair is somewhere out in the vast swamps. Directions are pointless - the swamps are as chaotic as she is. But those who seek her out often find her.

blazinghand
2014-09-12, 03:51 PM
To his teammates, Ozazen says, The Queen of Chaos isn't in Ter-Yednil. We have no need to confront her. This creature won't let us through. Get ready to attack-- I only have one question left to ask. AFter the Arachlith replies, we attack.

Ozazen broadcasts at the Arachlith, One last question, then, before we leave to seek her out. Do you have any way of quickly contacting her yourself? It might be good to know if she's even amenable to the idea before trekking through the swamp in search of her.

If Klabdra replies No, Ozazen responds by immediately casting Hideous Laughter on the creature. If Klabdra replies "Yes", Ozazen readies an action to dispel Klabdra's next spell or SLA using Dispel Magic and lets his teammates do their thing.

drack
2014-09-12, 03:56 PM
Seeing his ally considering attack, Brant Hellford calls upon his mental powers to ready himself.

Casting the power expansion on self and preparing to attack if an opportunity and reason both present themselves.

kinem
2014-09-14, 12:50 PM
No, I ...

As soon as the arachlith replies, Ozazen targets it with a spell! The spell appears to have no effect, however.

Brant calls upon his mental energies, doubling in size.

ooc: Nul and Neshrak may now act; then the arachlith will.

X...***.........XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
X................XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX..BB..XXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.BB...XXXXXXXXX

XXX = stone wall of cave
... = empty area
----- = web

N = Neshrak
U = Nul
O = Ozazen
BB = Brant (expanded)
BB

*** = arachlith

NotScaryBats
2014-09-14, 11:01 PM
Nul, which has been invisibly watching the proceedings, lashes out with its arm and unleashes an orb of force.

Nul attacks with a Maximized, Empowered Orb of Force.
[roll0] vs touch AC
on hit, 60 damage + half of [roll1]

Deadline
2014-09-14, 11:59 PM
Neshrak snarls and spits out a few syllables of the Dark Speech, hurling his will against the creature.

Let's start with the big guns and work down from there.

Casting Insanity on the creature (Will negates, DC 26), adding Dark Speech as a component to bump the caster level up.

Spell Penetration roll (if it has spell resistance): [roll0]

kinem
2014-09-15, 11:14 PM
Nul's orb of force strikes the monster and hurts it noticeably, but even so, it looks to still be in good fighting shape.

The arachlith resists the baernaloth's magic. (ooc: Made the save)

You will pay for this treachery!

The creature rushes towards the entry tunnel. Seeing Nul (who is now visible) as the greatest threat to it after being pounded with that powerful orb, it ignores Neshrak and lunges at the ultroloth with its huge mandibles*. Though he's in the air in the middle of the tunnel, the monster is tall enough to reach him as it rears up. Its strike seems quite well targeted even though it also puts as much power as possible into the attack. The bite wound it makes is considerable! It seems to tear through Nul's tough hide as if it were mere mortal flesh, and he feels an extra burn sort of like he once felt when struck by a holy weapon! He also feels the burn of a poison, which normally should not affect him, but his blood washes it out in time. Because it spent time closing the distance, the creature is not yet able to bring its claws into play. (ooc: 59 damage)

Now that the arachlith is close, you can see some sort of amulet on a chain around its huge neck. The amulet looks like an obsidian dragon claw.

Nul and Brant feel a strange confusion nearly come over them as they stare at the monster, but both manage to resist it.

Spiders actually don't have mandibles, but the fiend is not actually a spider.

X..............XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
X...........***XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
X...........***.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
X...........***..XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX..BB..XXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.BB...XXXXXXXXX

XXX = stone wall of cave
... = empty area
----- = web

N = Neshrak
U = Nul
O = Ozazen
BB = Brant (expanded)
BB

*** = arachlith

ooc: PCs to act

NotScaryBats
2014-09-16, 12:30 AM
Already ten feet away from the creature, Nul takes a step backwards through the air and lashes out with Synryx's Thorn. As it whirls the whip around through the air, it charges another Orb and unleashes it as the arachlith is distracted by the lashing whip.

Take a 5' Step backwards

Full Attack:
[roll0] for [roll1] and
[roll2] for [roll3] and
[roll4] for [roll5]
If any hit, Nul activates its Sudden Stunning property as a Swift Action and forces a DC 25 Reflex save, or stuns the creature.

[roll6] Orb of Force vs Touch AC for [roll7] damage

Deadline
2014-09-16, 09:54 AM
With the creature now towering above him, and within arms reach, Neshrak speaks in a quiet, cold voice that somehow carries itself over the din of battle to crawl over every inch of the cavern and its occupants, "Treachery implies that we are on equal footing. This isn't treachery, it's extermination." That last word carries with it the promise of a millennia's worth of pain in just a few moments.

Standard Action: Intimidate Check on Klabdra to Demoralize him, expending his Divine Insight spell to gain a +15 bonus to the check: [roll0]

That roll is adjusted down by -4 for each size category larger than Medium that Klabdra is. It looks like he's huge from the map, so that would be a -8 on my Intimidate check if that's the case.

If the roll succeeds, Klabdra is shaken for 1 round. Man, I really need to get a Fearsome armor enchantment. :smalltongue:

No Action: Knowledge(The Planes) check for Knowledge Devotion, using Collector of Stories for a +5 bonus to the check: [roll1]

Roll result will grant Neshrak an Insight bonus to attack and damage rolls against Klabdra for the remainder of the combat.

26-30
+3

31-35
+4

36+
+5

No Action: Knowledge(The Planes) check to try and determine any weaknesses that Klabdra may have, and to see if he remembers whether or not they are susceptible to mental assault (i.e. is his Will save high enough to invalidate my spells?): [roll2]

drack
2014-09-16, 01:09 PM
Dropping the smaller of his two blades into his horse's bag, he charges forward, bringing his blade down on the lesser demon with all his might.

Now lets see if I remember how this character works...

demon is not flat footed as I just remembered brant can't be hiding...
expend psionic focus to channel incarnum through blade
[roll0] to hit (assuming the spider is touching the cave walls, else -5) for [roll1]+[roll2] (assuming the spider is touching the cave walls, else -2)
Present AC 20

That true strike makes it feel like a bit much, but once/day so not too worried... Still, seems to be about where I was shooting in terms of mods... now next round we get to deal with the trickiness of how intentionally conflicted this character is. :smalltongue:

blazinghand
2014-09-16, 02:17 PM
Before his allies leap into combat, Ozazen channel his arcane might to cast Extended Heroism on Nul, granting the fiend +2 morale bonus on attack rolls, saves, and skill checks for the next 300 minutes (5 hours).

He follows up his incantation with a Quickened Dimensional Anchor to prevent the Arachlith from escaping.

kinem
2014-09-16, 10:38 PM
Nul's whip attacks slide off of the monster's hard exoskeleton, though his first attempt very nearly penetrates. His orb of force hurts the creature, though.

Neshrak's cold voice and threatening words seem to give the huge monster pause for a moment, leaving it somewhat shaken.

From what you recall of arachliths, they are very tough mentally as well as physically, but they are not immune to mind-affecting abilities. They have blindsight and a confusion-causing gaze, and their supernatural poison can even affect other fiends. Also, this particular specimen probably has developed its abilities to a greater extent than most of its kind: Most arachliths don't have spell-like abilities, but the way this one has been attacking seems consistent with the casting of a quickened true strike ability.

Big Brant's blade hits the arachlith and damages it a bit more than one might expect from that sort of physical blow alone. The monster looks to be halfway towards defeat now.

Ozazen casts a spell on Nul, and shoots a green ray towards the arachlith. The ray strikes the monster but has no effect.

The arachlith, seeing a new threat, turns its bite and its claws against Brant. The bite hits, tearing a nasty wound (32 damage), but Brant resists the poison that comes with it. The claws miss.

Brant and Null once again resist the sense of confusion that threatens to overtake them.

XXXXXXXXXXXXX..NBBXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX..BB..XXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.UO...XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX......XXXXXXXXXX

XXX = stone wall of cave
... = empty area
----- = web

N = Neshrak
U = Nul
O = Ozazen
BB = Brant (expanded)
BB

*** = arachlith

NotScaryBats
2014-09-16, 11:15 PM
Nul would grimace if it had a visible mouth. Instead, its bulging eyes merely continue to stare at the beast before it, as it once again continues its whip-and-orb attack routine.

Full Attack:
[roll0] for [roll1] and
[roll2] for [roll3] and
[roll4] for [roll5]
If any hit, Nul activates its Sudden Stunning property as a Swift Action and forces a DC 25 Reflex save, or stuns the creature.

[roll6] Orb of Force vs Touch AC for [roll7] damage

kinem
2014-09-17, 10:33 AM
Reflex save: [roll0] :smallredface:
Ah, the natural 1. The natural enemy of the DM. :smallwink:

Nul's first attack with the whip dagger hits the monster in a vulnerable area, but the wound is not very deep, doing very little damage. However, the magic of the weapon stuns the creature.

His orb attacks wounds the arachlith once more.

Deadline
2014-09-17, 11:39 AM
Seizing the opportunity presented by Nul, Neshrak lunges at a vital spot on the creature with his fanged maw and bites down hard.

Well now, I guess a Coup-de-grace is in order.

Full-Round Action: Bite attack Coup-de-grace:
Automatically hits and scores a critical hit (as per pg. 154)
Damage: [roll0]

Klabdra must make a Fort save (DC 10 + damage dealt) or die.

kinem
2014-09-17, 12:07 PM
ooc: You guessed wrong, Deadline. A stunned (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#stunned) creature is not helpless (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#helpless) and cannot be coup-de-grace'd.

Deadline
2014-09-17, 12:16 PM
ooc: You guessed wrong, Deadline. A stunned (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#stunned) creature is not helpless (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#helpless) and cannot be coup-de-grace'd.

My apologies, I was going off of what NotScaryBats stated in the OOC.

Neshrak tears into the stunned creature, a furious explosion of raking claws and snapping fangs.

Full Attack, 2 claws and a bite:
Claw #1: [roll0] to hit, [roll1] damage
Claw #2: [roll2] to hit, [roll3] damage
Bite: [roll4] to hit, [roll5] damage

Well look at that, I'm betting that my awful rolling means no hits at all, even if it's stunned. :smalltongue:

drack
2014-09-17, 02:56 PM
Refocusing on the lesser demon Brant lets loose a deep rumbling "RUUUWA!" As he swings his blade once more in a swift hacking motion.

[roll0] to hit (assuming the spider is touching the cave walls, else -5) for [roll1] plus [roll2] (assuming the spider is touching the cave walls, else -2)
Present AC 20

blazinghand
2014-09-17, 04:04 PM
Seeing the creature is stunned, Ozazen unleashes a barrage of magic missiles.

[roll0] damage
[roll1] spell penetration for the SLA

kinem
2014-09-17, 11:18 PM
Neshrak's attacks are furious but not well aimed this time, and they don't do any real damage to the hard exoskeleton of the arachlith.

Brant once again wounds it, and the creature is badly hurt by now.

Ozazen's arcane dart spell is resisted by the spider-fiend.

Jaws and claws chomping and tearing and rending the party limb from limb might be on the creature's mind right about now, but it is stunned and unable to act on that task.

XXXXXXXXXXXXX..NBBXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX..BB..XXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.UO...XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX......XXXXXXXXXX

XXX = stone wall of cave
... = empty area
----- = web

N = Neshrak
U = Nul
O = Ozazen
BB = Brant (expanded)
BB

*** = arachlith

ooc: PCs to act.

blazinghand
2014-09-17, 11:22 PM
Ozazen curses and unleashes another flurry of magic missiles

[roll0] damage
[roll1] spell penetration

NotScaryBats
2014-09-18, 12:40 AM
ooc
lol I conflated paralyzed with stunned. Sorry, gang!
If I use Blade Barrier on it, is it able to make the save to jump out of the way and avoid the blades? I assume it can still make the save, but want to be double sure.

Nul is pleased with its martial prowess thus far, and continues its assault, concentrating on destroying the creature with an orb of force.

My whip pretty much does nothing outside of the stunning, so just gonna use an orb this round
[roll0] vs touch AC
on hit, [roll1]

kinem
2014-09-18, 01:26 PM
The arachlith is still alive after Nul's latest orb attack, but looks to be on its last legs.

ooc: Brant & Neshrak to act.

Deadline
2014-09-18, 03:15 PM
Sensing weakness, Neshrak presses the attack further, looking to finish the spider-fiend off.

Full Attack, 2 claws and a bite:
Claw #1: [roll0] to hit, [roll1] damage
Claw #2: [roll2] to hit, [roll3] damage
Bite: [roll4] to hit, [roll5] damage

kinem
2014-09-18, 09:39 PM
One of Neshrak's claws penetrates the creature's defenses, but the wound is not deep enough to drop the beast.

ooc: Brant to act.

drack
2014-09-19, 11:45 AM
"You worthless excuse for a demon!" Brand shouts as he heaves his sword over his head once more. "Let me end this life that brings you such shame!" Heavily he brings his sword down on it again.

[roll0] to hit (assuming the spider is touching the cave walls, else -5) for [roll1] plus [roll2] (assuming the spider is touching the cave walls, else -2)
Present AC 20

kinem
2014-09-20, 11:08 AM
Brant's magically infused blow is too much for the wounded monster, and it slumps to the ground, its huge legs splayed chaotically about. It may not be quite dead yet, but no doubt it would soon bleed out.

drack
2014-09-20, 02:25 PM
Brant swings his blade once more carving off the creature's head. Suffice it to say he's had some bed encounters with foes he'd thought fallen.

blazinghand
2014-09-21, 05:56 AM
Ozazen renews his disguise and invisibility, and stands still. I don't have the ability to detect any further traps or webs in this place. He didn't deny that the portal was here, only said we had to speak to the queen. I suspect it would be a good idea to search for it-- perhaps one of us with True Sight would be willing to handle it?

Sorry about wasting so much time talking to the creature. I thought it might let us pass for petty baubles, but convincing it to accept a larger bribe in return for not telling its master would have been expensive, and more importantly, annoying. I hope the next guardian we face will be more easily swayed than this one, or at least as easily felled.

NotScaryBats
2014-09-21, 08:55 AM
Nul shrugs, once again fading into Invisibility. It approaches the Arachloth's corpse and begins to search for valuables.

Search the body [roll0]

kinem
2014-09-21, 09:39 AM
The arachlith only had one item on its person - an amulet which had been on a chain around its neck, and which fell to the ground when Brant cut off its head. The amulet looks like an obsidian dragon claw, which suggests that its function is to make the wearer's natural attacks more powerful.

NotScaryBats
2014-09-21, 10:02 PM
"Neshrak, do you require augmentation of your claws and fangs? If I'm not missing the mark, that is precisely what this amulet is for," Nul intones quietly, holding the dragon claw amulet up to the Baernaloth. To make sure it isn't making a fool of itself, it casts detect magic and studies the amulet.

Deadline
2014-09-22, 09:38 AM
In response to Ozazen, Neshrak adds, "I will sweep the cavern in a moment. It's a pity that the Arachliths are such strong-willed creatures. I would have preferred more time to break its will and bend it to our purpose, but it can't be helped, I suppose. I have a few baubles with curative magics in them, should you need to use one."

Neshrak peers at the amulet that Nul holds out to him. "A moment, if you would." He reaches into his bag and searches around for a moment before pulling out a small golden eyepiece, crusted with some disgusting substance. He fastens it over one of his eyes, and the piece fills up with pus almost immediately. He reaches out for the amulet and studies it for about a minute, all the while whispering to himself.

Neshrak will use his Artificer's Monocle to Identify the amulet. If it is what it appears to be, he'll be happy to take it, assuming no one else would be able to put it to better use.

After that, he will sweep the cave with True Seeing active in search of more webbing, traps, and the portal.

drack
2014-09-22, 03:12 PM
Brant meanwhile flexes a few times, stimulating blood flow to heal his wounds.

Planer companion heal, burning level 0 (1/2 for spell level crunch purposes) with the exception of prestidigitation [roll0]+faith healing and Brant's back to full health.

kinem
2014-09-22, 08:13 PM
Using detect magic, you see that the amulet has a moderate evocation aura.

+1 hypocritical alignable amulet of the magic claw:
The amulet indeed enhances natural attacks and is a fairly powerful item. In addition to a +1 bonus to hit and damage, the wearer can choose to add the holy, unholy, anarchic, or axiomatic property to the attacks. The attacks are treated as if of the appropriate alignment and do +2d6 damage vs. a creature of the opposite alignment. Only one alignment can be used at a time and changing which is a standard action and done by mental effort. It does not impose a negative level on the user, even if of opposite alignment.

Neshrak searches the cave. He finds more invisible webs, along much of the walls, the ceiling, and some of the floor.

There are the decaying remains of some creatures in the cave, including those of a hezrou demon.

An invisible web with an opening to the side covers a small passageway around the corner to the right.

At the end of the passageway, the wall is much smoother than the rest of the cave, and glows with a faint green light. Looking closer, you see that the green light comes from glowing streaks that vary very quickly.

NotScaryBats
2014-09-22, 10:52 PM
"Before we jump headlong into danger again, I could use one of your baubles; I was bitten badly back there," Nul explains in answer to Neshrak's generous offer.

drack
2014-09-23, 05:33 PM
Brant, shrinking back to his normal size, retrieves his second sword and sheaths it, mounting his horse.

blazinghand
2014-09-23, 05:40 PM
Luckily, I avoided injury in this fight, says Ozazen. I did have to spend more arcane might than I hoped I might. I'll have to be a bit more conservative to make sure we have enough force to deal with more troublesome enemies.

Do we have a path we can take? Is the portal here?

Deadline
2014-09-23, 06:53 PM
Neshrak cackles after examining the amulet, "Yes, Yes! Ha ha! This will do nicely." He slips the amulet on before fishing a wand out of his satchel and tossing it to Nul.

He then does a quick scan of the room and points out the areas covered with webbing as places to avoid. He points out the safe entrance to the small passage and says, "Just beyond there is the likely portal location, see the rapidly shifting lights? Now it's just a matter of figuring out the portal key."

The wand is a wand of lesser vigor. Use what you need (you have UMD and can reliably make DC 20 to use a wand, right?) and then toss it back.

NotScaryBats
2014-09-23, 07:03 PM
Nul has +18 to UMD, so I assume it can recharge itself with the wand. Down 59 Hp, I believe 6 charges are required to fill me back up?

Nul turns the device over in its invisible hands, thanks Neshrak telepathically, and proceeds with the long process of revitalizing itself with the arcane energies of the wand. When it is finished, it returns the borrowed implement to the Baernaloth.

blazinghand
2014-09-24, 06:29 AM
Thanks for showing me the way. I'll take a look at it and see if I can figure it out myself. No promises, though-- tough to tell with these things. We may need to get a specific item or object.

Ozazen carefully approaches the portal, following Neshrak's instruction to get close without getting webbed. He carefully examines the rapidly shifting lights, applying his substantial knowledge of languages, magic, arcana, magic device use, spellcraft, and plania, doing his best to discern the nature of the effect. To a non-arcanist, Ozazen's mutterings, prodding, and weaving of tiny minicantrips to determine the flow of magic looks completely foreign. Ozazen might as well have sprouted a couple extra human heads. Ozzie's not in it for the looks. though. He's in it to win it, in it to not be turned into some avatar for another's avarice.

He does all the tests he can that he is reasonably sure won't involuntarily catapult him into another plane in an attempt to divine the secrets of this portal. Before he begins his testing, he casts Detect Magic, of course, and dismisses his Invisibility and Disguise Self to prevent bleed from those spells from interfering with his inspection.

Knowledge (Arcana) [roll0]
Knowledge (The Planes) [roll1]
Spellcraft [roll2]
Use Magic Device [roll3]

After several minutes stooped over examining the portal, Ozazen straightens up and turns to the others. I think I may have the answer to our question...

kinem
2014-09-24, 06:55 PM
Ozazen notices that the glowing green streaks seem to shift in response to some of his muttering. He surmises that the portal key is probably a simple pass phrase in Abyssal.

This portal was used in the past by Yednil's forces, and it is now used by the Queen of Chaos's servants (as Yednil once was). The pass phrase most likely refers to one or the other. The wrong phrase might do nothing, or might open a portal to the wrong location.

blazinghand
2014-09-24, 07:11 PM
...and it is another question. Ozazen cackles. There is no key or object required to activate this portal. Instead, it is a passphrase. By dweomerizing the arcane flux through a multitude of coaxial hemiplanes, I was able to quadrangulate the irridiation of the code. Because the intense refactoring needed to undulate the arcanoplanar network matrix, I wasn't able to penetrate the arcanoplanar matrix, but only scratch the surface with my quadrangulation. The network matrix was shaped like a hypercube projected into 3 spacial dimensions, one energy dimension, and the ethereal plane, though obviously this shape was itself a projection the underlying fleem... Ozazen drones on for a bit in this fashion. He really loves his Arcana!

He finishes up: So we can safely say the passphrase is in Abyssal, and is at least one word and at most one sentence, probably a short one, probably a reference to the Queen of Chaos' Servants or Yednil's forces, depending on who set the phrase. The irridiation I dweomerized indicates that the wrong passphrase could open the portal to the wrong location, or more likely do nothing at all. I can try to circumnavigate the potentiation, but if one of you is familiar with the local custom and phrases, we'd have a better shot guessing it.

drack
2014-09-24, 07:25 PM
"Millarky!" Brant exclaims. "Half those words are made up. Just say the portal rotates directions and only goes the right way when we say the abyss be damned words."

I figure Brant would probably understand, though taking pride in his sell-sword-dom, would still react somewhat like a man without a clue. :smallwink:

Deadline
2014-09-24, 07:45 PM
Neshrak sits down on the floor, puzzling through the cobwebs of his ancient memory. He pulls out a tome and some of his notes about Grebuzzer's research and begins pouring through them, muttering to himself incoherently.

Is this a challenge you want us to solve by standing in front of the portal and guessing? Because that could lead to some odd results. :smalltongue:

Assuming it isn't, Neshrak will pour through his memory and his notes to see if a phrase jumps out at him now that he has a moment to think and context for the portal key. It's unlikely that the key has changed since Yednil's time, so he focuses on that time period.

Knowledge(History) check with help from the Tome of Worldly Memory: [roll0]

kinem
2014-09-24, 09:41 PM
Is this a challenge you want us to solve by standing in front of the portal and guessing? Because that could lead to some odd results. :smalltongue:

ooc: :smallbiggrin:

blazinghand
2014-09-26, 01:00 AM
Ozazen snorts. I most assuredly did not make up those words. If I were going to make up words, I'd make them much more specific than those.

So, anyone know any old mottoes or sayings of Yednil's army?

NotScaryBats
2014-09-26, 09:25 AM
"Yednil rules...?" Nul suggests sardonically. "Was there not another room to explore in these caves? Perhaps a clue could be found."

Deadline
2014-09-26, 10:50 AM
Neshrak shakes his head, "Just the main chamber, that I could see, and it's filled with little but webs. So then, I am at a loss. I couldn't find a pass phrase in Grebuzzer's notes, and the dark of it doesn't spring immediately to my mind. I'm going to take that to mean that the phrase is something relatively easy to guess. So unless one of you has a spell to uncover the portal's secrets, we might as well ..." The words drift off as he stands and moves closer to the portal, examining the patterns of the rapidly shifting colors.

Does anyone have the Analyze Portal (http://dndtools.eu/spells/spell-compendium--86/analyze-portal--3826/) spell memorized? Or Limited Wish to duplicate it? If not, Neshrak can use Miracle to get the job done, or we can guess the phrase, or go find another servant of the Queen of Chaos to interrogate.

NotScaryBats
2014-09-26, 11:29 PM
"How about, "Blood War" or "Baator" or ... "Yugoloths are the Master Race?" Nul continues to guess, looking at the wall as it does so. ""Yednil," "open please," "I seek passage," or ... "long live the king?""

drack
2014-09-27, 07:46 AM
"Hows about 'Die you wretched devil, die so I may lay in peace, and curse you may it hurt like hell!', or perhaps 'By the queen's might, bring her victory!'" Truth be told Brant knew little of the culture, though he'd fought in some battles and those were perhaps the two most common phrases he'd heard from them.

kinem
2014-09-27, 10:44 AM
After some more experimentation while Neshrak, Nul, and Ozazen study the rapidly shifting green streaks on the wall, one of the phrases Neshrak recalls from his studies has a notable effect:

"Hail the Queen of Chaos!"

When this is uttered, the wall shifts to show a brightly lit sand desert. This could well mean the portal is now open. There is no guarantee it leads to Ter-Yednil, although Yednil's domain was said to be desert-like.

blazinghand
2014-09-27, 08:43 PM
Interesting... muses Ozazen. Let's see what we've got on the other side of that portal. I'd hate to walk right into a trap.

Ozazen casts a spell of Summon Monster III, calling a Hellhound into existence. Go through the portal into the desert. If you see any creatures, start barking, and I'll give you more orders.

NotScaryBats
2014-09-27, 11:19 PM
"A wise decision," Nul nods appreciatively, never one to leap headfirst into danger. It crosses its arms and observes the hellhound.

kinem
2014-09-28, 08:57 AM
The hellhound walks into ... and through the wall, as you see it enter the desert landscape.

It looks around, somewhat confused, but does not bark.

blazinghand
2014-09-28, 11:45 PM
Hmmm... Ozazen muses. He says to the hellhound, Stand by for additional orders.

I'll go through invisibly and see what's up. If I'm under duress, I'll mention the name Elevdo when communicating.

Ozazen turns himself invisible and steps through the portal, looking around.

NotScaryBats
2014-09-29, 12:02 AM
This degree of caution seems a bit extreme to Nul, but it nods and allows Ozazen to proceed as he pleases.

Deadline
2014-09-29, 10:09 AM
Neshrak shrugs and refreshes his defensive spells, muttering profane syllables of Dark Speech as he does so. Once Ozazen steps through, he pauses to see if something terrible happens to the Arcanoloth, then he follows through the portal. "Let's not bang around here cutters, we've got some shards to find."

kinem
2014-09-29, 06:06 PM
The heat, beating (pulsing?) sun, and wind-driven sand blast Ozazen as he steps through the cavern wall and into the desert. The Steaming Fens were hot and wet; here it is dry but even hotter. Brant's horse would not long survive in the open here.

Whispers in his ears might be the wind, waxing and waning much as the frequent gusts, but they seem to almost speak to him ... yet even he can discern no meaning there. The effect is annoying at best, and seems like the sort of thing that could eventually drive one to madness.

Neshrak experiences the same things as he enters through the portal. For him, the whispers almost sound like Dark Speech ... almost, but not. Maybe just wind.

Behind them is a cliff face, through which they can see the others in the cave. The cliff appears vast.

The bones of some enormous creature, half-buried by sand, are visible in the distance. There are many sand dunes as well.

blazinghand
2014-09-29, 06:22 PM
Looks good to me, says Ozazen. If anyone should have some ability to help us endure the elements, however, that would be greatly appreciated.

drack
2014-09-29, 08:02 PM
Brant Hellford crosses over as well, waves of heat rolling off him to meet the heat of the wastes.

NotScaryBats
2014-09-29, 11:10 PM
Nul is the last to cross. It scowls at the oppressive heat, and then winks back into invisibility. "We can fly up to get a bird's eye view," it explains, gaining altitude as it does so.

blazinghand
2014-09-30, 12:23 PM
Ozazen ascends with him. Might as well, might get us out of the stinging sand, too.

Renewing his invisibility, Ozazen feels glad for his mage armor but is still worried about how little he knows of his surroundings, and where to go next.

kinem
2014-09-30, 07:45 PM
ooc: I assume Brant brought his horse.

The portal remains open after the group passes through it, a dark flat hole on the sheer cliff face.

ooc: Everyone roll a Will save.

The gusting, whispering winds and stinging sand continue to buffet the group as they climb the air for a better view.

The cliff appears to be the edge of a large mountain, although you don't see any other mountains in the distance. Visibility only extends a few miles, due to the dust in the air. There are a few large cactus-like plants around.

As you circle around, you see a ruined stone structure at the base of the mountain. Beyond it, a large tunnel mouth appears to lead deeper inside.

NotScaryBats
2014-09-30, 10:25 PM
Nul telepathically communicates to its companions. "I suppose that ruined stone structure could be the keep we are searching for?"

Will Save [roll0]

Deadline
2014-10-01, 10:00 AM
Assuming the Air Walk spell from Nul is still active, Neshrak rises into the air with the other fiends to scout the area. When they spot the stone structure, Neshrak mentally responds to Nul, << Yes, that could be Yednil's kip. We should move in for a closer look. >>

At that, Neshrak leads the group toward the stone structure.

kinem
2014-10-06, 10:37 PM
The stone ruins appear to have been a sort of gatehouse which protected the tunnel entrance. Upon examination, it appears that the structure has been knocked down by great force. That must have been long ago, as the exposed stone is quite weathered and partially buried in sand.

The tunnel is clearly worked stone, and pictures are carved into it. Most of the pictures show a large creature with a scorpion-like lower body, a humanoid upper body, and a demonic horned head. The creature is shown in battle, striking down angels and devils alike with a large glaive.

You can all feel it; there is no doubt that you are on the right track, for the stone carvings you see depict that which is within you: Yednil.

There is no light in the tunnel, but with your darkvision you note that it widens into a huge chamber. The chamber has three more tunnels leading away, deeper into the mountain, and numerous ledges from which vulture-like demons launch themselves towards you, while other vrocks wait and watch.

The vrocks flap about, circling, but hold their attack. In all, there are a dozen of them.

Who are you and why are you here? The telepathic contact is from one of the vrocks, a leader perhaps, but there's no way to tell which one it is.

NotScaryBats
2014-10-06, 11:06 PM
Nul remains invisible, telepathically contacting its allies. "I shall leave the diplomacy to you, Elder," it sends to the Baernaloth, "These close quarters will be perfect for a blade barrier should combat erupt, but do try to pump them for information if it is possible."

With that, the Ultroloth prepares for the worst.

drack
2014-10-07, 05:38 AM
Brant once more lowers his katana, as a symbol of not massacring their useless corpses for even presuming to ask such petty questions of great demons such as they peace.

Ready action to cast blood frenzy on self when it looks like negotiations are drawing to a close, afterwards readying an action to charge them with the sword. :smallwink:
One can always choose not to follow through with a readied action, but it's always best to prepare one just in case.

Deadline
2014-10-07, 11:55 AM
Neshrak raises an eye ridge at Nul's words. He opens his mouth to speak, but closes it and stares at a point a few feet to the left of Nul's shoulder for a brief moment before nodding his head and hobbling forward. Not knowing which of the circling Vrocks addressed them, he broadcasts his statement out to the group as a whole, << I am Neshrak, the Sage of Anguish. >> His unblinking eyes gaze at the flying demon pack in the manner that a sated predator might gaze lazily at nearby prey, << We seek Ter Yednil. Tell me, are you servants of the Queen of Chaos? >>

Unholy Word
Mind Blank
Divine Insight
Air Walk (from Nul)
True Seeing

blazinghand
2014-10-07, 06:00 PM
Ozazen stays back, but bows (invisibly) to the Vrocks. It would not do to contradict Neshrak after he had begun negotiations. Furthermore, he might get a better measure of his ally's prowess by observing this interaction. He says telepathically to the team, You can handle this one, Neshrak, they're more likely to respect you than I. Let me know if you need any information from me, I'll see if I can remember anything about this group of Vrocks.

Ozazen does some thinking about this particular location and about this Vrock.

Knowledge (The Planes) [roll0] about Vrock
Knowledge (The Planes) [roll1] about location

kinem
2014-10-07, 06:02 PM
The flapping around of the large vulture-like tanar'ri soon changes as they fly back to their ledges. However, they seem to multiply in number as they use their mirror image ability.

The chamber itself is roughly circular, about 100' in diameter and 40' high. The ledges range from 10' to 30' high. There are several small boulders scattered around the floor of the chamber.

The reply comes Yes. Why do you seek it?

You are sure that this place is Ter-Yednil. You have not found much about the layout of the place though.

Of vrocks, you recall that they have several dangerous abilities. They can screech loud enough to stun enemies; three acting together can perform a dance which after a short while (but about three times longer than for a normal spell) can harm all enemies in the area; they can emit dangerous spores but at a short range; and they can use telekinesis at will. Regarding the latter point, the small boulders would make excellent projectiles with the help of that ability.

drack
2014-10-07, 08:45 PM
Telepathically Brant grumbles irritably to the sage among them as he sees his foes multiply. "Are these things prone to afflictions of the mind?"

Mind effecting ****. To be honest I tend to assume most things are so I figure he would, but it wouldn't hurt to keep him in da' loop. :smallbiggrin:

Deadline
2014-10-08, 11:23 AM
Neshrak lets his gaze travel over the Vrocks as they take up a defensive posture. << Our business is our own, but rest assured that it will not bother your mistress. >>

He lets his gaze rest on one of the Vrocks near the edge of the group, and focuses his will before sending it a private telepathic message:

OOC: Using Charm Monster spell-like ability on it (Will DC 23 Negates), [roll0] to penetrate any SR. Then using Diplomacy check (expending Divine Insight for a +15 bonus: [roll1]) to convince it to serve/join Neshrak.

<< You are bound by the will of your Mistress to quietly sit and guard this place. You are a magnificent Tanar'ri! Your purpose is to maim, kill, and destroy! Your talents are wasted with the menial task she has given you! Join me, and I will ensure that you will drink your fill of violence! Join me, and you will be rewarded for reveling in your nature! >>

kinem
2014-10-08, 05:28 PM
[roll0] Neshrak senses that the tanar'ri resisted his magic by force of will.

The creature responds telepathically
Try that magic again and we'll kill you! Though in a way you have a point, the Queen will reward us when she regains her power and conquers the Wheel! How could you do better?
It does not raise the alarm, however.

ooc: Diplomacy normally takes 1 full minute. I have assigned a -10 penalty for rushing it.

To Neshrak's declaration the spokesvrock replies
Do not take us for fools. Since you are not here on the Queen's business, you must leave.

blazinghand
2014-10-08, 08:48 PM
Coming out of his reverie, Ozazen says to his allies,

Ths is definitely Ter-Yednil, though I don't remember much about the layout of the area. These creatures, the Vrocks, have a variety of abilities. They have a sonic screechin stun attack, and three of them can dance together for about a quarter of a minute to damage everyone nearby. Looks like they can move objects with their mind, just like me. Those rocks and the sand in general all could be fashioned into defenses or projectiles by them quickly, so watch out for that.

Also, as they are flying and I can see them doing so, we cannot simply avoid them via ascent

kinem
2014-10-08, 09:15 PM
ooc: You just saw them flying :smallbiggrin:

Deadline
2014-10-08, 10:41 PM
[roll0] Neshrak senses that the tanar'ri resisted his magic by force of will.

The creature responds telepathically
Try that magic again and we'll kill you! Though in a way you have a point, the Queen will reward us when she regains her power and conquers the Wheel! How could you do better?
It does not raise the alarm, however.

ooc: Diplomacy normally takes 1 full minute. I have assigned a -10 penalty for rushing it.

To Neshrak's declaration the spokesvrock replies
Do not take us for fools. Since you are not here on the Queen's business, you must leave.

<< The magic was but a test, had you failed, we would not be having this conversation. Your will is strong, as I knew it would be. As to how I could do better, you know as well as I that it will take her centuries to regain her power, and millennia to conquer the wheel. And she would have you toil away that time wasting your talents on menial tasks in hopes of a reward? I offer you immediate gratification! You will have many opportunities to kill, gather riches, and increase your personal power. In time, my companions and I can grant you power that Yednil himself once held. You, among all of your fellow servants here, are wise enough to recognize the power we hold, and know it would be barmy to die for the promise of some distant, future reward after a millennia of menial service. Serve me, and you will not have to wait for longer than a few days to begin reaping the benefits. Less, if this discussion with your insolent leader becomes any more tiresome. >>

Neshrak responds to the spokesvrock, with a telepathic presence equivalent to sharp nails being raked across a chalkboard, << You are persistent, I'll grant you that. You must know who we are, so I cannot tell if you are brave, or barmy. Let me ask you one last question before we conclude our business - do only those on the Queen's business pass, or is there another way we might pass? >>

Neshrak sends a series of quick private telepathic messages to Ozazen, Nul, and Brandt:
<< They have earned nothing but pain for their slavish adherence to the queen. Be prepared to put them all in the Dead-book, except for the one with the chipped beak. He may yet serve. >>

NotScaryBats
2014-10-08, 10:52 PM
Nul is still invisible and confident that it has not been sighted. It prepares itself to battle.n

kinem
2014-10-09, 02:22 PM
The spokesvrock replies
Only those on the Queen's business may pass. If you are wise, you will serve the Queen. If you can find her court in the Steaming Fens, perhaps you can work out a deal.

The other vrock you've been communicating with seems to be waiting to see what happens.

Deadline
2014-10-09, 05:17 PM
Well, let's get this bloodbath started. :smalltongue:

Neshrak stands stock still for a moment, and the surrounding area almost seems to grow still and quiet in anticipation. His telepathic reply is a quiet whisper that slides through mental pathways like fine grain sandpaper, << This discussion has grown ... tiresome. We will seek another path. >>

He sends a quick telepathic message to his compatriots, << Kill all save the one I mentioned. >>

He then bows his head and utters a single syllable of darkspeech, hurling his will at the largest group of Vrocks, making sure to avoid the one he was having a private conversation with. His voice barks out an ugly word in abyssal, with his telepathic presence echoing the same command, "APPROACH!"

Standard Action - Neshrak is using his Greater Command spell-like ability on the gathered Vrocks (Will DC 25 to negate, lasts 16 rounds, affected Vrocks get a will save each turn to break free). He is targetting the largest group of Vrocks he can. The spell targets 1 creature/level (up to 16, in this case), no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart. I'm assuming no difficulty from Mirror Image, due to True Seeing punching through it.

His command is "Approach", as laid out in the PHB.

Air Walk (from Nul)
Unholy Aura
Mind Blank
Greater Command (16/16 rounds remaining)
True Seeing

kinem
2014-10-12, 04:10 PM
[roll0], [roll1], [roll2]

There are four groups of three vrocks; each group is on a large ledge. This is undoubtedly not a coincidence, given what Ozazen said about how three of them together can dance to damage enemies.

When Neshrak barks out a command to approach, he affects one of the groups, the one to the right hand side of the entry tunnel. All three of the vrocks seem ready to heed his order, launching themselves into the air even as the mirror images continue to swirl about them.

ooc: Neshrak's action was a surprise, but the vrocks were wary just as the rest of the party was told to anticipate action, so now we go to regular initiative.

Nul and Neshrak had the highest initiative rolls and can act before the vrocks do. After the vrocks act, PCs and vrocks will alternate.

NotScaryBats
2014-10-12, 10:42 PM
Nul targets one of the groups still on a ledge, and casts solid fog, hoping to confuse the creatures and delay their entrance into the battle.

Deadline
2014-10-14, 10:12 AM
Following his apparent success with the first group of Vrocks, he points to the group of Vrocks containing the one he has been having a telepathic coversation with, assuming they are not encased in Nul's Solid Fog. Again, he barks out a word in Darkspeech as he hurls his will at them, but only at the two, he leaves the one untouched. Again he shouts out, "APPROACH!", the gutteral abyssal word echoing from the cliff face.

He sends a private telepathic message to the Vrock with the chipped beak:
<< Which of these fools is your leader? >>

Standard Action: Cast Greater Command (Will save DC 25 negates) again, at the two Vrocks indicated.

Air Walk (from Nul)
Unholy Aura
Mind Blank
Greater Command (15/16 rounds remaining)
Greater Command #2 (16/16 rounds remaining)
True Seeing

kinem
2014-10-15, 10:34 PM
A cloud of fog envelops one of the ledges and the vrocks thereon.

Neshrak barks another command to approach him, and two more vrocks fall victim to the enchantment.

Three of the unaffected vrocks launch themselves past Neshrak, seeing him as the main foe. As they pass him they emit small clouds of spores, which begin to penetrate and harm the baernoloth. They continue to dig into him and grow. He is able to strike one of the fiends with his claw as it passes him, drawing a bit of blood. The three vrocks head into the fog cloud.

The vrocks who have been commanded to approach Neshrak attempt to do so. Since they must fly to reach him, they are physically unable to halt in midair where he is, and sail past him onto the ground. One of them then seems to shake off the magic, while the others prepare to try to reach him again. This leaves one vrock alone on a ledge - the one with the chipped beak.

The three vrocks who were on the ledge that was covered by fog begin to chant wildly.

The vrock with the chipped beak tells you He is within the fog.

ooc: Neshrak takes 8 damage from the spores so far. PCs to act.

drack
2014-10-15, 11:25 PM
Seeing his opportunity Brant strikes at one of the obnoxious flying creatures as it leaves the cloud of spores.
[roll0] to hit for [roll1] plus [roll2] damage
If it's not dead Brant will make the second attack, if it is he'll instead regain his psionic focus.
[roll3] for [roll4]

NotScaryBats
2014-10-16, 01:04 AM
Nul follows up its solid fog with a blade barrier. "Let them dance in that," the yugoloth declares to no one in particular.

Nul fills as much of the ledge with blades of force as possible.

You can roll my SR checks since I dunno how many targets are affected. The damage will be 15d6

blazinghand
2014-10-16, 01:49 AM
I'll call some assistance. says Ozazen. He begins casting Summon Monster V, a process that takes 1 Round.

Deadline
2014-10-19, 05:20 PM
As the chaos of battle ensues and the Vrocks heed his enchantment, Neshrak bares his claws and rushes at the nearest Vrock on the ground, taking care not to engage the Vrock that Brandt is battling. He roars another command out in abyssal as he charges, "HALT!"

He then leaps upon the nearest Vrock, tearing at it with his wickedly sharp claws.

Knowledge Check for Knowledge Devotion, using collector of stories: Knowledge(The Planes) [roll0]

Vrocks under the effect of Command can take no actions except to stand there, although they defend themselves normally (they aren't helpless).

Charge nearest Vrock and attack with Claw: [roll1] (+5 from Knowledge Devotion)
Damage: [roll2] + [roll3] (+5 from Knowledge Devotion) = 22

Air Walk (from Nul)
Unholy Aura
Mind Blank
Greater Command (14/16 rounds remaining)
Greater Command #2 (15/16 rounds remaining)
True Seeing

kinem
2014-10-20, 10:40 PM
Brant's katana slashes a cruel cut on the passing vrock. His second attack is an instant too slow, and deflected harmlessly by the creature's tough feathered rear end.

Shrieks erupt as Nul's magical wall of blades sends the vrocks concealed on the foggy ledge scrambling to save themselves. The six vrocks tumble down to the ground below, smacking the stone but now safely out of the way of the blades on the ledge. The magical dance three of them had started is ruined for now.

The still-invisible arcanaloth begins casting a spell of summing.

When Neshrak lashes out with his wicked claw, he tears into an equally wicked vrock.

The fallen vrocks attempt a new tactic: They concentrate and send several of the boulders littering the ground in the chamber leaping towards their chosen target, the one now visible: Nul. Six boulders fly up and the crash back down; of these, two pounded Nul nasty bruises.

The remaing vrocks - save for the one with the chipped beak, who elects only to watch the action - make beelines for Neshrak. Most do so out of magical compulsion, but one of those who Neshrak had enchanted broke free of the command, as proven by his attack on the baernoloth. Flying past, he releases some of the harmful spores. Neshrak's attempt to claw him misses.

It is mainly the spores already infecting him that continue to hurt Neshrak, however. Viny growths begin to erupt from Neshrak's body.

OOC:
Nul takes 33 damage; hp 143
Neshrak takes 12 damage; hp 77
Ozazen's summoning spell will complete just before he acts.

PCs to act.

NotScaryBats
2014-10-20, 11:19 PM
Nul grimaces, unleashing its Hypnotic Gaze at full force upon the grounded vrocks. It then gestures and sends forth a Prismatic Spray, seven intertwined, multicolored beams that whizz through the air and hit as many of the enemy demons as is possible for the 60 ft cone shaped burst.

Prismatic Spray (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/prismaticSpray.htm) linked for your convenience.
I dunno how many I can effect, so I'll trust you to roll for me. Just Don't roll any 3's or 4's!! <3

kinem
2014-10-21, 11:31 PM
Though Nul is able to strike some seven vrocks with his prismatic spray, the results are not as impressive as might be hoped. The nearest vrock is blasted with electrical energy, but that does not harm the tanar'ri. Two of the vrocks near the wall are singed a bit from fire, and one jerks strangely as if it has gone insane. The rest are unharmed, thanks to their immunity to the poison of the green rays.

Nul's prismatic spray was an obvious threat and as such breaks any fascination (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#fascinated) effect his gaze might have established.

Deadline
2014-10-22, 10:11 AM
Seeing the group of Vrocks fall out of the fog, Neshrak steps back from the Vrock he was digging his claws into and sends a surge of his will at the fallen group. Then he utters another command to all of the Vrocks under his enchantment, "HALT!"

After that, he turns his gaze to the Vrock that has broken free of his control. "Pain and death await you, little Vrock. A pity I do not have more time to make it last."

5' step away from the Vrock he was menacing.

Standard: Casting one more Greater Command (Will save negates, DC 25) on the group of Vrocks who fell out of the fog. He then commands all enchanted Vrocks to Halt, which just leaves them standing there doing nothing (though they are not Helpless).

Swift: Nothing for now, although I'd love to use my Dark Speech abilities. It's just that I don't want to catch Brandt in the area. :smalltongue:

Also, I'm going to have to do something about the spores. Those are straight-up going to kill Neshrak if I don't do something soon. Unfortunately, my options are "heal some damage" or "use Miracle". I think I'm going to hold off for a bit longer. No reward without risk, eh? :smallwink:

Air Walk (from Nul)
Unholy Aura
Mind Blank
Greater Command (13/16 rounds remaining)
Greater Command #2 (14/16 rounds remaining)
Greater Command #3 (16/16 rounds remaining)
True Seeing

blazinghand
2014-10-22, 12:26 PM
As the Earth Mephit materialises in front of Ozazen, he reaches out his invisible hand and grasps it by the soldier. I'm bringing us down onto that area. Those Vrocks are throwing rocks; soften all the stones big enough to throw into clay, and as much of the ground as possible. Then, enlarge yourself and fight the Vrocks.

Ozazen speaks the magic words and the scene around him blurs and blends into a new one. His Dimension Door is successful-- he and the Earth Mephit are now behind the stone-throwing Vrocks. He releases the Earth Mephit and begins gliding away from the Vrocks invisibly. Telepathically, he tells the Mephit, Do it. The Mephit leaps into action, deadening and softening the stone in the area!

kinem
2014-10-22, 10:35 PM
Neshrak is able to catch 3 vrocks in the area of his magical command; of those, two manage to resist it.

The vrock which falls victim to the magic and halts its movements happens to be the one which had been driven insane by Nul's prismatic spray!

An earth mephit appears and reappears near the fallen vrocks. It begins softening the boulders which the vrocks are telekinetically controlling. The four boulders it affects turn to soft clay.

OOC: Affected boulders will do less damage if they are used in telekinetic attacks.

You can't change a greater command once it's been given.

Brant to act.

NotScaryBats
2014-10-22, 10:47 PM
Nul grimaces. These vrocks were proving to be more of a nuisance than it had hoped. With this in mind, Nul charges an Orb of Force in its hand and hurls it at the vrock near Neshrak.

[roll0] vs touch
on hit, [roll1]

kinem
2014-10-22, 11:18 PM
OOC:
NSB: It's Brant's turn to act. The other PCs have already acted this round.

BTW, the mirror images still surround the vrocks.

NotScaryBats
2014-10-23, 12:51 AM
Oh, seriously? My bad.

drack
2014-10-23, 05:01 PM
Once more brant swings at his target.
move to intercept as free action, regain focus as move action, attack as standard.

Swift: Nothing for now, although I'd love to use my Dark Speech abilities. It's just that I don't want to catch Brandt in the area. :smalltongue:

Actually if they're making passes on folks we should all be taking AoOs too and it would be easy enough to catch them wheeling about or the like where they share space with none but each other.

OOC:
NSB: It's Brant's turn to act. The other PCs have already acted this round.

NSB?
WIIWATATD

Deadline
2014-10-23, 05:51 PM
Actually if they're making passes on folks we should all be taking AoOs too and it would be easy enough to catch them wheeling about or the like where they share space with none but each other.

That would be great if the abilities were targeted, but they aren't. Each of them effects all living creatures within X (30 and 60 respectively) feet of Neshrak. I'm more than a little fuzzy about where everyone is at the moment, but I thought Neshrak and Brandt are near each other since they are attacking Vrocks in the same group. I'll see about moving far enough away from the party so that I can try to catch the Vrocks in it without catching party members.

kinem
2014-10-23, 11:14 PM
Brant's mighty katana swooshes through one of the mirror images surrounding the vrock.

Five of the fallen vrocks spread out a bit and resume their boulder telekinesis attacks, but this time targeting Neshrak. Three of the boulders miss due to his displacement magic, while the other two he dodges.

The sixth vrock - the insane one - remains halted in its tracks.

Four vrocks resume their mad, magically commanded attempts to approach Neshrak, as they sail past him again. The baernoloth gets in another claw hit on the wounded vrock, while Brant slices away another mirror image from it. That vrock only has two mirror images left around it.

I'm keeping track of the mirror images for all 12 vrocks.

The vrock with the chipped beak waits and watches ...

The final vrock flies over Neshrak and lets out a loud and terrible SCREECH! Both Neshrak and Brant are stunned by the sound; Brant drops his weapon!

Nul resists the effect, while Ozazen and the mephit are too far away to be affected by the awful sound.

The horrid viny growths continue to eat at Neshrak. (ooc: takes another 9 damage; hp 68)

ooc: Nul and Ozazen to act.

NotScaryBats
2014-10-23, 11:27 PM
Seeing that so many Vrocks are still sailing past Neshrak, Nul decides to put a blade barrier around him so that they will sail through that as well as the baernaloth's claws.

hope this doesn't bother you, bro, but I would like to encase you in a circle of whirling blades of force. Lemme know if that is lame for you and kinem will probably allow me to change my action (since it is directly effecting another PC).

To be clear, I want to use "or a ringed wall of whirling blades with a radius of up to 5 ft. per two levels" to put him in an 'eye of the storm' kinda thing so his cronies will just kill themselves flying past him.

drack
2014-10-24, 07:55 AM
Brant Hellford makes another pass

blazinghand
2014-10-24, 03:44 PM
Ozazen flits away from the rock-throwing vrocks, putting himself about 300 feet away from them before coming to a halt-- he'll want some distance before he casts his next spell and breaks invisibility.

kinem
2014-10-27, 09:44 PM
ooc: Brant - like Neshrak - was not able to act as he was stunned (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18304720&postcount=178) for 1 round by the vrock's Screech. He dropped his weapon due to the stun (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#stunned). With his impressive Fort save, Brant needed a natural 1 to fail, and that's what I rolled for him.

Two of the vrocks throw off the compulsion to approach Neshrak, but that leaves two still victim to it, and they fly right into the wall of blades that Nul has conjured around him! They are able to dodge some of the blades as they pass through, but get chew up a bit.

The two vrocks who freed themselves of the compulsion try Screeching loudly just the other vrock had, trying to keep the invaders from being able to act, but you are able to resist these sonic assaults this time.

While the one with the chipped beak continues to watch the battle from its ledge, the other six vrocks spread out and use their telekinesis ability to again send boulders flying. Having decided that Neshrak is too difficult to strike, the target is the ultroloth.

Three of the boulders smack into Nul! Ozazen's tactic of summoning the earth mephit to soften the boulders begins to pay off as the first boulder to strike Nul is soft clay and causes a mere bruise, but the other two are still hard stone and batter him hard. The vrocks notice some of the boulders landing with more of a splat than a crash, and begin to glare at the mephit.

The vrock spores still bore deeper into Neshrak's flesh.

ooc: Nul hp 85; Neshrak hp 58.

PCs to act.

NotScaryBats
2014-10-27, 11:25 PM
Nul grimaces. It does not like how long this fight has drawn out, how unsuccessful it and its allies have been in routing the inferior creatures, and it does not like being bludgeoned repeatedly by boulders.

None of the powers in Nul's arsenal seem especially suited to fighting large numbers of demons like the vrocks, and it shouts in frustration.

Nul aims a greater shout at the vrocks that are menacing it with the boulders. that is [roll0] sonic damage, and maybe even a stun if I get lucky and bypass all their resistances!

Deadline
2014-10-28, 10:21 AM
The pain from the Vrock spores is electrifying, and Neshrak muses briefly on their possible uses. He takes a moment to channel some of the healing energy from his belt to close some of the wounds, and remains within the protective blade barrier for the time being as he ponders his next move. These lesser fiends were surprisingly resilient, and the fact that he and his companions had not yet managed to slay even one bode well for the prospect of having one as a servant and ally. But he was rapidly growing tired of their continued resistance. They must be shown the error of their ways.

His telepathic presence echoes out to his companions << Focus on the wounded Vrocks if you can. And show them your true might. We do not have the time to toy with them any longer. >>

Standard: Use 1 charge from the Healing Belt to heal [roll0] hitpoints.
Swift: If none of his allies are currently within 30' of him, Neshrak will use Dark Whispers:

Dark Whispers cause disturbing visions in the minds of living creatures within 30' who hear them. Such a creature must make a Will save (DC 25, Cha based) or, if it has fewer Hit Dice than the baernaloth, it is staggered for 1d10 rounds; if it has at least as many Hit Dice, it is confused for 1 round. This is a mind-affecting supernatural effect.

blazinghand
2014-10-28, 01:18 PM
Reasonably certain his chanting won't be heard from his current location, Ozazen begins summoning a Mezzoloth.

kinem
2014-10-29, 08:17 PM
Nul is able to hurt four of the vrocks with his loud shout, though three of them resist it somewhat. One of the vrocks looks badly wounded by now.

Neshrak is too close to Brant to use his Dark Speech without risking effects on his 'companion'.

As Ozazen concentrates, a mezzoloth (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?363904-Mezzoloth-(revised)-PEACH) appears. The insectoid warrior yugoloth clutches a trident and looks around wildly with its huge many-faceted eyes. Telepathically it communicates Ozazen. What is going on?

(ooc: Summon as a SLA is a standard action, but the 'loth will act just before Ozazen's next turn. blazinghand, let me know where it appeared.)

The earth mephit continues to soften the boulders.

ooc: Brant to act. He was stunned last round but is now over it.

blazinghand
2014-10-29, 09:19 PM
The Mezzoloth appears in front of Ozazen on a plateau. "Quent, sorry to trouble you-- I'm calling in that favor. We're having trouble with these vrocks. Those yugoloths over there are my allies, as is the mephit. Cover me while I summon a creature, then I'll cast an empowering spell on the three of us and teleport you, me, and the summoned creature into combat."

drack
2014-10-29, 11:45 PM
Brant retrieves his katana and regains his psionic focus

What number round are we onto?

kinem
2014-10-30, 09:31 PM
The two vrocks still compelled to approach Neshrak attempt to do so despite the barrier of spinning blades. They dodge many of the blades but are further wounded. Neshrak lashes out with his claw as one passes; it hits but the wound is minor.

Three of the vrocks that Nul shouted at fly past him, releasing their deadly spores as they do. Nul attempts to strike one with his whip dagger as it passes but only removes one of the many illusory images surrounding the vrock.

Four vrocks telekinetically hurl the boulders again. The first is directed at the mephit, which splats it; the creature vanishes. The remaining three are aimed at the ultroloth; one of these would likely have wounded Nul further were it not for his displacing cloak.

The other three vrocks - one stunned by Nul's shout, one held still by Neshrak's command, and one plotting silently as it watches from its ledge - are out of the action this time.

The spores on Neshrak continue to burrow, further hurting him despite the fact that he'd healed some of the damage.

The mezzoloth nods and concentrates on some of its own magic while waiting for Ozazen to carry out his plan.

OOC: It is now round 6. Nul hp 75; Nesh hp 56. PCs to act.

NotScaryBats
2014-10-30, 09:53 PM
The vrock that looks badly wounded is singled out by the now seriously wounded Nul. It hurls an orb of force at the demon, hoping to finally down one of these creatures.

Okay here we go. [roll0] vs touch
on hit, [roll1] damage

kinem
2014-10-31, 05:07 PM
[roll0] rolling for mirror images (1 = hit)

The orb Nul shoots takes out one of the vrock's mirror images.

drack
2014-10-31, 05:26 PM
predictably...

Brant Hellford makes another pass

AoO in case they're still running about

kinem
2014-11-01, 01:23 PM
The vrock's mirror images continue to bedevil Brant's attacks as he slices through illusions.

ooc: Neshrak and Ozazen to act.

blazinghand
2014-11-01, 04:58 PM
Under the guard of his mezzoloth, Ozazen begins casting Summon Monster VI

Deadline
2014-11-03, 10:56 AM
Neshrak, safely secured within the spinning blades, considers his options. He could keep dragging the Vrocks through the barrier, it was a clever tactic on Nul's part. But first he had to do something to ensure their troublesome spores could no longer harm he and his fellow fiends. He sends each of his three allies a short telepathic message, << All of you, gather around me, at least as close as Brandt. I will inoculate us against their spores. >>

With that, his mental presence oozes into the minds of several nearby Vrocks and he shouts out in abyssal, "APPROACH!"

Neshrak will target the largest group of un-enchanted Vrocks with a Greater Command and order them to approach the blender.

Delay until his allies are within 30 ft of him, and then use Miracle to duplicate a Mass Extended Delay Poison effect on his allies.

kinem
2014-11-04, 08:35 PM
Most of the vrocks have moved somewhat apart, having learned that close groups can be targeted, but Neshrak is able to target three of them with his magical command.

Of these, only one succumbs to it. As does one of the two other vrocks which had been so enchanted, it plunges through the blade barrier which encircles Neshrak. The latter vrock is nearly killed by the spinning blades - but not quite.

All of the remaining vrocks - other than the watcher and the one that seems stuck in its tracks - use their telekinesis ability to again hurl boulders at Nul. Two of these strike him. The first is one that the mephit had softened, and barely bruises his tough hide. The second however punches him right in the chest, doing considerable damage.

The spores continue to work their way into both Nul and Neshrak.

The vrocks crow out, seeming to sense that unless the dynamics of this battle change soon, they will carry the day.

OOC: Nul hp 38, Neshrak hp 43.

PCs to act.

drack
2014-11-06, 08:22 PM
"Cowards." Brant's voice booms. "You flee like worms before me and fear to even turn your blades upon me. Never have I been disgraced with such unworthy foes!"
As he speaks he swings his blade at yet another foe.

kinem
2014-11-06, 11:27 PM
This time Brant's katana is not able to penetrate the vrock's tough hide. (ooc: AC 22)

NotScaryBats
2014-11-06, 11:35 PM
Nul maneuvers to be closer to Neshrak and within his abjuration's range. It then tries to animate the boulders to remove the Vrock's powerful projectile weaponry from the battle.

Gonna go with your suggestion and cast Animate Objects on as many boulders as possible, and command them to roll their way out of here and 'attack the wall over there'

kinem
2014-11-07, 12:40 PM
The vrocks watch in astonishment as their attack boulders roll out through the tunnel.

The mezzoloth guarding Ozazen tenses as the boulders approach, but the rocks merely begin beating themselves against the side of the cliff surrounding the tunnel entrance.

ooc: Ozazen to act, since Neshrak planned to wait for the PCs to gather before casting his magic.

blazinghand
2014-11-07, 04:28 PM
As the Large Air Elemental whirls into existence next to him, Ozazen says telepathically to the Mezzoloth: "Change of plans. It looks like my allies won't last long unless we enter this fight quickly. I'm going to spend a moment preparing to teleport, then I'm bringing you and this air elemental with me into combat. She will focus on the enemies in the air, and you and I will kill the ones on the ground."

He turns to the Air Elemental, and says in Auran, "I will teleport us into combat in a moment. Take to the air and do your best to kill the Vrocks. The Yugoloths are my allies."

Ozazen activates his Mage's Lucubration SLA to recall Dimension Door.

Deadline
2014-11-10, 10:55 AM
Neshrak sees his allies gather in close, and calls upon the tainted spark of divine energy within his being. He utters a stream of Dark Speech and a burst of energy explodes like a gibulated body and covers his allies in the area. The faint sound of ticking clocks can be heard briefly as the spore growth slows and then halts. He lets out a roar of triumph before his telepathic voice echoes around in the minds of the nearby Vrocks, << YES! Show us your true might! Do your best and know that it is not enough! >>

Neshrak is going to use Miracle to drop a Mass Extended Delay Poison effect, using Darkspeech to increase caster level. That should mean that every ally within 30' of him is protected against the spores for 32 hours, or thereabouts.

kinem
2014-11-11, 12:04 PM
The vrocks' screeching falls silent as they watch in astonishment as the tide turns suddenly.

Of the two wounded vrocks compelled to approach Neshrak, one of them fails to resist the magic yet again. This time, as it passes the blade barrier it is not quick enough. The spinning blades tear deep into its body, and it lands unconscious on the ground, bleeding out and soon to die!

The other vrock that had been so compelled was quite badly wounded already, but at the last moment it throws off the compulsion. The vrock vanishes, teleportation being its only salvation.

Very well. It is the telepathic voice of the spokesvrock. Teleportation is our greatest power. Don't imagine that you will long enjoy your spoils. The Queen does not forgive or forget. Soon we will return with great force.

Eight vrocks teleport away.

That leaves only the halted and insane one (with its four mirror images), the watcher, and the dying one.

Ozazen and his summoned minions are still outside the cavern.

NotScaryBats
2014-11-11, 12:33 PM
"That... could have seriously gone better," Nul says quietly, surveying the chaos. "I've not been so outnumbered in quite some time -- do we press on (albeit more cautiously this time around) -- or retreat to rest up?"

Nul casts Prying Eyes and whispers, "Scout the area for half a mile around," to half the eyes and to the others says "go inside the cave and explore -- return after ten minutes."

drack
2014-11-11, 01:49 PM
"Does anyone have a means to follow them?" Brant asks as he kills his dying foe.

NotScaryBats
2014-11-11, 02:09 PM
"I certainly do not," Nul replies blithely. "What do we do about that one? I hit it with my Prismatic Spray, if I recall, so it will be absolutely no use for information."

blazinghand
2014-11-11, 03:40 PM
Ozazen and his allies approach the greatly thinned vrocks. Ozazen says to his air elemental and his friend, Quent: Looks like our help won't be needed to kill vrocks, though... yes. Restrain that one, the watcher. Prevent him rom moving.

Ozazen says to the other yugoloths, Leave the watcher for me. I will seize the location from his mind, and we can give chase.

He turns to the rooted, watching Vrock and stares into its eyes. You probably don't want to betray your allies by giving away your predetermined retreat location. Very well.

A wicked grin spread itself across Ozazen's lips like a spider stretching across a web of darkness. If you give the information up willingly, you will live, and your allies will think I killed you. If you don't, and I rip it from your mind, you will die, and your allies will think you gave it willingly, that you betrayed them. They will curse your memory.

You should not resist. But tell me, Vrock... have you ever tried with all your might not to think of something? Try not to think of the retreat point, then-- but you'll find it's impossible to envision not envisioning something...

Ozazen casts Detect Thoughts and over the course of the next 3 rounds tries to rip the information about the retreat point out of the Vrock's mind. Assuming it wants to resist Vrock is enttiled to a DC 22 Will save.

Deadline
2014-11-11, 10:28 PM
The sound of Neshrak's coughing laughter echoes quietly off the walls of the area as the Vrocks retreat. When Ozazen telepathically mentions the watching Vrock, Neshrak responds, << That one has been waiting at my request to see if we were more worthy masters than the Queen of Chaos. Hopefully he has seen that we are more than capable. Read his mind if you must, but I would rather you do not damage a potential servant. He is under no compulsion of mine, so use caution. >>

Neshrak broadcasts his telepathic presence to all of his allies, and to the watching Vrock, << I will aid Brandt in finishing off the two Vrocks remaining down here. The Vrock with the chipped beak who has been watching us now has a decision to make. I trust it will be the right one. >>

And with that, he seemingly steps through a gaping hole in the fabric of the plane to appear next to Brandt. "If I may, I would put a dweomer upon you to help you see through their illusions."

Teleport next to Brandt. Assuming we carry on into the next round, Neshrak will put True Seeing on Brandt, and then the two of them can tear the insane Vrock apart. The dying Vrock can be finished off at their leisure. The watching Vrock with the chipped beak will probably need to decide if he is going to join up, or try to follow his brethren.

kinem
2014-11-12, 10:13 PM
Brandt finishes off the dying vrock with a savage blow.

Nul's magical prying eyes begin to spread out and head through the tunnels.

The watching vrock with the chipped beak is up on its ledge, surrounded by mirror images. When Ozazen and his minions approach it and he gives it an ultimatum ... I was barmy to listen to yugoloths. The others will think magic held me as it does the other. It teleports away.

The final vrock fails yet again to throw off the magic keeping it bound in place.

blazinghand
2014-11-12, 10:42 PM
Ozazen instead approaches the bound Vrock and tries the same thing.

NotScaryBats
2014-11-13, 01:49 AM
Nul turns invisible again. It doesn't say anything.

kinem
2014-11-13, 05:26 PM
Neshrak casts true seeing on Brandt, who is finally able to see past the mirror images.

ooc: Brandt to act.

drack
2014-11-14, 04:44 PM
Brant readies an action to brutally murder this one if it tries to pull anything.

kinem
2014-11-14, 06:57 PM
Ozazen attempts to read the insane vrock's thoughts.

At first, he does register that fact that there are thoughts within the creature, as the vrock begins to babble incoherently. Soon he confirms that the vrock does have but one mind.

Having broken free of the halting compulsion, the insane vrock attempts to flee physically out the tunnel and away from Nul (who caused its madness).

ooc: Does that trigger Brant's attack?

drack
2014-11-14, 07:27 PM
Brant brings his sword down heavily on the fleeing demon.

& AoO
[roll3] to hit for [roll4] damage

kinem
2014-11-14, 11:22 PM
Brant's katana slices into the tanar'ri this time, wounding it, though the other attack he takes the opportunity to make is ineffective due to its tough hide. (ooc: DR)

The mezzoloth Ozazen summoned, eager for battle, casts some quick battle magic and charges the vrock, striking with its barbed trident. (ooc: quickened true strike)

The air elemental attempts to attack it as well but seems ineffective.

The vrock returns to attack Brant. It strikes with its powerful claw, drawing some blood, but Brant's stony skin reduces what could have been a severe wound to a mere scrape. (ooc: 5 damage to Brant after his DR.)

Ozazen now receives thoughts from the vrock, of rage and bloodlust.

ooc: Anyone else want to join in?

NotScaryBats
2014-11-15, 12:10 AM
"Tell us where the other Vrocks teleported to if you know," Nul commands with a Suggestion. It isn't positive the enchantment can affect a creature rendered insane by the spray, but it is worth a try anyway.

kinem
2014-11-15, 11:37 AM
The vrock resists Nul's magic this time.

ooc: Brant, Neshrak and Ozazen can act now. If you want to stay out of this part of the fight let me know that as well.

drack
2014-11-15, 11:52 AM
Brant swings his blade once more, his mount rearing angrily at the demon who thought to get in it's way.

&horse
[roll3] for [roll4] damage
[roll5] for [roll6] damage

Deadline
2014-11-16, 12:42 PM
Neshrak takes a cue from Nul and tries his own Suggestion, barking out a syllable of Dark Speech as he casts it, "Tell us where the other Vrock teleported to."

kinem
2014-11-16, 06:30 PM
ooc: Vrock's Will save vs suggestion: [roll0]

Ozazen to act.

blazinghand
2014-11-16, 10:10 PM
Ozazen barks to his summoned allies, Hold him still! Aren't you listening to me?? Grapple him!

He screams at the Vrock telepathically. Tell me where they went! Tell me or I will devour you!

intimidate [roll0]

kinem
2014-11-17, 06:42 PM
The vrock seems shaken by Ozazen's threat but does not reply to it.

Brant's blade slices into the vrock, wounding it further, but his horse's hooves are ineffective on the huge vulture-demon.

The vrock attacks Brant with its claws, its bite, and the talons on its feet. One claw misses, but the rest of the attacks scratch Brant, his stony hide protecting him from much but not all of the damage. (ooc: 12 damage to Brant)

The demon also releases a cloud of spores. The spores have no immediate effect on Brant or his mount, or on the air elemental, but the mezzoloth grimaces as the deadly growths begin to infect its exoskeleton.

The air elemental attempts to grab the vrock, but merely dissolves one of the mirror images. Three mirror images now remain.

The mezzoloth's eyes glow red as it too tries to grapple the vrock, an attempt which is foiled when the vrock strikes out at it with a claw.

drack
2014-11-17, 07:05 PM
Brant, unamused, twists his blade in an arc, bringing it up towards the vrock's midrift.

burning a turn attempt to add an extra d6

kinem
2014-11-18, 07:12 PM
The vrock turns a little while Brant is swinging and his blade does not cut into it as he'd planned.

ooc: Other PCs to act.

NotScaryBats
2014-11-18, 07:49 PM
Nul once again attempts to get the information from the Vrock with a suggestion, "Tell us where the other Vrocks teleported to. We can help you meet up with your allies again if you just tell us where they went." The lie is for no real reason, Nul just wants to off-balance the confused and insane demon.

kinem
2014-11-18, 11:58 PM
ooc: Will save [roll0]

The vrock resists Nul's suggestion once again.

To quote the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/suggestion.htm):

"The suggestion must be worded in such a manner as to make the activity sound reasonable."

Since NSB did make an attempt in that direction via his lie, I'm pointing this out now. None of your previous suggestions ever had any chance of working even if it failed its save because you were not making it sound reasonable! This time the suggestion might have been able to work - I won't say for sure - but the vrock made the save.

ooc: Neshrak, Ozazen to act

blazinghand
2014-11-19, 01:08 AM
"Grab the real one, not the illusions!" thunders Ozazen. He stretches out a hand and activates his Magic Missile SLA, sending one bolt of energy through each vrock/illusion to destroy the mirror images. The that hits the real vrock deals [roll0] damage.

kinem
2014-11-19, 10:15 PM
The illusory images are blasted away, leaving one rather angry vrock.

ooc: Neshrak to act

Deadline
2014-11-20, 10:58 AM
Neshrak again follows Nul's lead and tries one last time before Brandt kills the Vrock, "Tell us where your fellow Vrocks have teleported to and we'll see to it that you find them." He strides forward with his hand out as though he is going to lead the Vrock by the hand to his vanished comrades.

Neshrak will try one last time to use Suggestion (Will Save DC 22 negates). Spell Penetration roll (using Dark Speech): [roll0]

He will then move into melee range with the Vrock so he can assist in finishing it off should things have a sudden need to get messy.

kinem
2014-11-20, 06:15 PM
ooc: Will save [roll0]

Once again, the insane vrock resists Neshrak's magical suggestion.

The air elemental tries to grab the demon, but can't get a solid grip. The mezzoloth, too, fails to get a hold of the larger fiend.

The vrock lashes out at Brant again. One claw strikes him solidly on the side, piecing his stony hide, though the other claw, beak bite, and leg talons prove ineffective.

OOC: Brant hp 108/144

PCs to act.

Deadline
2014-11-24, 04:10 PM
Surprised that the Vrock still stands, and annoyed at its mental resistance, Neshrak continues to entice the location of its friends from it until Brandt inevitably kills it. "If you do not tell us where your fellow guardians went, how can we help you return to them? Tell us so we can help you."

Well, as long as the thing lives, Neshrak will keep trying Suggestion (Will Save DC 22 negates). Spell Penetration roll (using Dark Speech): [roll0]

blazinghand
2014-11-24, 05:58 PM
Ozazen keenly eyes the Vrock to see how it will respond to this latest mystical attack.

kinem
2014-11-24, 07:35 PM
ooc: Will save [roll0] (Note: No longer shaken from intimidation, so +12 instead of +10)

Edit: Dayum. I want this vrock to pick lottery numbers for me :smalltongue:

NotScaryBats
2014-11-25, 12:23 AM
Nul wracks its brain thinking of some way to break this insane Vrock's will and get the necessary information from it. It tries one of its more powerful Dweamors.

"Serve me and answer my questions honestly," it commands, casting Geas. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/geasQuest.htm)

[roll0] SR roll.

kinem
2014-11-26, 01:56 PM
ooc: The vrock would react to Nul's magic when its turn to act comes. It's a bit moot though since Nul has not given any commands or asked any questions since the geas.

Brant and Ozazen can still act this round.

drack
2014-11-26, 06:24 PM
Brant bears his blade once more.

kinem
2014-11-26, 11:03 PM
Brant's latest swing strikes true and wounds the screeching vrock, but not enough to bring down the large demon.

ooc: Ozazen to act.

blazinghand
2014-11-27, 05:23 AM
Ozazen holds back, waiting to see the effect of the geas and the commands of his allies. He floats to be about 50 feet away from the vrock.

kinem
2014-11-27, 10:58 AM
The air elemental and the mezzoloth fail again to grab the vrock.

The bird-like tanar'ri strikes out at Brant again, scratching him with a claw. (ooc: 1 damage after DR)

OOC: PCs to act. See OOC.

Deadline
2014-12-01, 11:46 AM
Neshrak waits to see the effect of the Nul's compulsion.

blazinghand
2014-12-01, 01:28 PM
Ozazen waits to see what Nul does. If the vrock does not react well to Nul's commands, he attacks with Magic Missiles for [roll0] damage. If the vrock submits, Ozazen's actions will depend on what the Vrock does.

NotScaryBats
2014-12-02, 12:28 AM
Nul waits a moment to feel the spell take hold and then commands, "Stay here and no we will not hurt you. Tell us your name. Serve me well and you will be rewarded. Explain with words where the other vrocks teleported to."

kinem
2014-12-02, 07:49 PM
ooc: Brant to act.

drack
2014-12-02, 07:51 PM
Already swinging his mighty blade for another powerful chop, Brant manages to stop it before it "hurts" the varock.

guess I'll set another readied actin on killing it if it tries anything.

[roll0] to hit for [roll1] plus [roll2] damage (watch and it'll miss anyways. :smallwink:)

kinem
2014-12-02, 10:40 PM
The air elemental and the mezzoloth again fail to grab the vrock; the 'loth sustains a wound in the process.

The vrock replies in Abyssal "Fools! Might as well tell you now: They've gone through the portal, then off to find the Court."

It then attacks Brant. Though Brant is ready to swing in such a case, he misses. His stony hide protects him but he is scratched by a claw. (ooc: 2 damage)

NotScaryBats
2014-12-02, 10:46 PM
"Stop attacking my allies," Nul commands. "Where is the portal, and are there any other guardians of this place? Tell me how long it will likely take for the vrocks to find the Court."

drack
2014-12-02, 10:50 PM
Brant glares down at the demon.

new readied action, same deal

Deadline
2014-12-03, 12:13 PM
Neshrak continues to hold, waiting to see if the Vrock will obey Nul. If the Vrock doesn't obey, Neshrak is ready to tear it apart with his claws and teeth.

blazinghand
2014-12-03, 04:46 PM
Ozazen watches the Vrock intently to see if it will obey the order not to resist.