PDA

View Full Version : Converting 3.5 or 4th edition monsters to 5e

One Tin Soldier
2014-08-27, 07:39 PM
So, I recently picked up the 5e PHB, and so far I'm pretty satisfied with the purchase. The class fluff and mechanics are pretty cool, especially how every class gets to pick between 2 or more subclasses automatically, and the fact that dead levels are a thing of the past. Combat also seems way easier than in 3.5 (and probably on par with 4th, though I never did get to play much of that), as with our groups first trial combat we got through it in less than half an hour.

HOWEVER

I am confused and slightly miffed that they are delaying the DM Guide and Monster Manual for months yet. The lack of a MM is particularly annoying as a DM, because it means that the only threats I can really throw at the players are NPCs with character levels or the animals, imps, or undead from the back of the book.

So my question for the playground is this: what do you think is the best way to convert monsters from the 3.5 or 4th edition MM's into 5e? I have a few ideas, but not enough general experience with making monsters to really know when I'm messing something up.

rlc
2014-08-27, 07:53 PM
well, there's also another book that came out the same day as the phb with an adventure and some monsters in it.
but, the best advice that i can give is to use the available monsters as a baseline. if you're really not sure on what's too strong or too weak, do some tests.

Human Paragon 3
2014-08-27, 08:22 PM
well, there's also another book that came out the same day as the phb with an adventure and some monsters in it.
but, the best advice that i can give is to use the available monsters as a baseline. if you're really not sure on what's too strong or too weak, do some tests.

There's also a PDF with dozens of monsters on it posted in the same place as the basic rules PDF. It's not positively everything you could possibly want, but it's a pretty good start.

One Tin Soldier
2014-08-27, 10:27 PM
There's also a PDF with dozens of monsters on it posted in the same place as the basic rules PDF. It's not positively everything you could possibly want, but it's a pretty good start.

Ah, ok. I was unaware of this, I'll check it out.

Inevitability
2014-08-28, 12:09 AM
For converting monsters, I don't think there's a standard method. You'd have to covert each monster all by itself.

charcoalninja
2014-08-29, 09:18 AM
For 4e Monsters you'll need to use their bloodied value as their actual HP, and probably reduce their to hit and defenses by 2 per Tier (-2 for 1-4, -4 for 5-10, -6 for 11-15, -8 for 16-20). For any time they have to make a save take their new Fort, Ref or Will defense and just take 10 off of it. The -2 per tier was just pulled out of my tail there so it would benefit from some referencing actual books.

That should do a decent enough job that they're usable.

Yuki Akuma
2014-08-29, 09:23 AM
If you're DMing, you really should download the DM basic rules. Which, incidentally, have a bunch of monsters in them for just this reason.

One Tin Soldier
2014-08-29, 09:39 AM
If you're DMing, you really should download the DM basic rules. Which, incidentally, have a bunch of monsters in them for just this reason.

I did download them, and it'll be very helpful. I just didn't know about them until I was told in this thread.

Though advice on converting will still be useful, especially now that I have that resource, since I can check various methods and see which ones come the closest.

Breltar
2014-08-29, 10:09 AM
Also download the Horde of the Dragon Queen supplement and if you really don't want to wait, spring the $13 on amazon for the starter set.

Download here.
http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/hoard-dragon-queen

There have been images of the Umber Hulk, Flumph and the Ancient Red Dragon on the official D&D twitter as well