PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Clever uses for Creation Wizard's ability in Pathfinder

The Vagabond
2014-08-27, 08:04 PM
Yeah, while I regret taking Creation, I'm wondering just what a Wizard with creation can do with it. Currently, I'm hoping to get the Launch Bolt cantrip allowed from 3.5 to create colossal bolt to destroy the puny forts of all the bandits, and to create a circumstance bonus to Intimidate when a 9 year old girl fires a bolt larger than a ballista arrow at your face ("You'll TELL ME DAMNIT.")

Segev
2014-08-27, 08:07 PM
Dunno if PF has all the right equivalent feats (I doubt it has Arcane Thesis), but Arcane Thesis: Launch Bolt + Reach Spell + Chain Spell == (CL+1)d8 worth of damage for a single spell slot.

malonkey1
2014-08-27, 09:06 PM
Well, Dragon Magazine 325 had the Easy Metamagic feat, and since that was Paizo, it could be argued that it's not 3rd party.

Malroth
2014-08-27, 09:28 PM
there's a pathfinder trait called Magical Lineage which lowers metamagic costs for a chosen spell

The Vagabond
2014-08-28, 06:54 AM
there's a pathfinder trait called Magical Lineage which lowers metamagic costs for a chosen spell
Well, Dragon Magazine 325 had the Easy Metamagic feat, and since that was Paizo, it could be argued that it's not 3rd party.
I was talking about it's Create Gear ability, not what I could ADD.

At 1st level, you can create any object that weighs no more than 1 pound per wizard level you possess. Creating an object in this way is a standard action. The Item remains for 1 minute before fading away, although it disappears after one round if it leaves your possession. Creating an Item to an exact specification might require a Craft skill check, subject to GM discretion. The object must be made of simple materials, such as wood, stone, glass, or metal, and cannot contain any moving parts. You could use this ability to create a dagger, but not a vial of alchemist’s fire. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Intelligence modifier.
NEITHER of these has anything to do with that ability.

Segev
2014-08-28, 07:25 AM
Sorry; I was running off of your comment about Launch Bolt. The Create Gear ability could make no more than 10 bolts at once, and actually would want only 9 before using them on the 10th round so the first one doesn't vanish.

I don't know that spending a standard action creating a bolt and then another firing it is really worthwhile. You're probably better off with Minor Creation as a spell, honestly. You can put that into scrolls or wands if you use it rarely but want it handy, and can just cast it for something that lasts longer than a minute if you use it more often.

The main benefit is that you're never without basic equipment; if your DM is a stickler for "you didn't say you shopped for rope, so you don't have any," this is a way to have some on hand after all, at least briefly.

But I don't know how to make it useful for "neat tricks."

The Vagabond
2014-08-28, 10:08 AM
Sorry; I was running off of your comment about Launch Bolt. The Create Gear ability could make no more than 10 bolts at once, and actually would want only 9 before using them on the 10th round so the first one doesn't vanish.

I don't know that spending a standard action creating a bolt and then another firing it is really worthwhile. You're probably better off with Minor Creation as a spell, honestly. You can put that into scrolls or wands if you use it rarely but want it handy, and can just cast it for something that lasts longer than a minute if you use it more often.

The main benefit is that you're never without basic equipment; if your DM is a stickler for "you didn't say you shopped for rope, so you don't have any," this is a way to have some on hand after all, at least briefly.

But I don't know how to make it useful for "neat tricks."

Yeah, wish I could use it as a move action.

Also, don't forget size. At my current level (2), I can make10 Large bolts. Or, if allowed to make less than ten (They are listed to come in ten, so I'd assume not, that and I think it'd be unbalanced) at my current level I could make 5 huge bolts, 2 gargantuan bolts, or one Colossal bolt (aka, Siege Engine Kate levels the building).

Segev
2014-08-28, 10:34 AM
Yeah, wish I could use it as a move action.

Also, don't forget size. At my current level (2), I can make10 Large bolts. Or, if allowed to make less than ten (They are listed to come in ten, so I'd assume not, that and I think it'd be unbalanced) at my current level I could make 5 huge bolts, 2 gargantuan bolts, or one Colossal bolt (aka, Siege Engine Kate levels the building).

Is a Colossal Bolt really only 2 lbs.?

The Vagabond
2014-08-28, 10:41 AM
Is a Colossal Bolt really only 2 lbs.?

One is, ten weigh 16 pounds (If you double weight per size category)? So a collosal bolt is 1.6 pounds. You'd need a collosal crossbow, though, if you don't have launch bolt.

avr
2014-08-28, 11:14 AM
Create something fragile out of glass and toss it to the ground, instant caltrops.

Create steel wire for traps. A few pounds of wire is rather a lot of wire. The short duration is an issue true.

Aside from that its just about having the right item to hand in noncombat situations mostly.

Edit: maybe you could create a handful of powder to help locate invisible creatures?

Segev
2014-08-28, 01:45 PM
One is, ten weigh 16 pounds (If you double weight per size category)? So a collosal bolt is 1.6 pounds. You'd need a collosal crossbow, though, if you don't have launch bolt.

Unfortunately, "Launch Bolt" says, specifically, that it does damage "as if you fired the bolt from a light crossbow." Since YOU would use a light crossbow for your size (and, in fact, cannot use one for a different one without massive penalties), it still does only 1d8. Nonsensical, I know, but there it is.

torrasque666
2014-08-28, 01:49 PM
Unfortunately, "Launch Bolt" says, specifically, that it does damage "as if you fired the bolt from a light crossbow." Since YOU would use a light crossbow for your size (and, in fact, cannot use one for a different one without massive penalties), it still does only 1d8. Nonsensical, I know, but there it is.

Aye, but it never specifies WHAT size you are. And while you cannot use one without massive penalties, the fact remains that you can​ and thus nothing is stopping you from firing a larger one.

Segev
2014-08-28, 03:07 PM
Aye, but it never specifies WHAT size you are. And while you cannot use one without massive penalties, the fact remains that you can​ and thus nothing is stopping you from firing a larger one.

Actually, specifically, you can use one a single size category bigger with penalties...but cannot at all use one two or more size categories off from your own.

(I spent a lot of time discussing the nuances of the chaingun wizard build because it's something I found interesting.)