PDA

View Full Version : Player Help D&D 3.5 Vest of the Archmagi

Demented77
2014-08-27, 09:05 PM
I want to know if the Vest of the Archmagi (MIC pg 145) is able to have the armor bonus turned into natural armor bonus, and I want to add a bigger natural armor bonus. Say +10 instead of +8. Also I read up on the body slot descriptions on page 218 of the MIC. And it says that Vests and Armor use different slots. I also cross checked that with the body slot sheet found on page 286. And it confirmed that 'Armor' takes up the 'Body' slot and 'Vests' use the 'Torso' slot. That is why I want the Vest of the Archmagi to be edited to Natural Armor bonus. So I can stack it with some regular armor.

How would I go about changing the armor bonus type from a standard armor, to natural armor. I looked up the cost of getting Barkskin +10 (required for amulet of natural armor) to put on an item. And using the rules for making epic level gear from the Epic Level Handbook, the cost came out to 1 million just for the armor bonus. That is half of the cost to buy a regular Vest of the Archmagi.

So I guess what I really want to know is, can it be done? And what would the equations look like to change the bonus type from standard armor, to natural armor?

If I can provide any other information, please feel free to ask.

HunterOfJello
2014-08-27, 09:37 PM
'Armor' armor bonuses are special in 3.5 because you can use magic to get them up to +8 on magic items. This is a simulation of wearing an item that is the equivalent of full plate.

Enhancement natural armor bonuses (note: different than natural armor bonuses) can only go up to +5 pre-epic. You are not supposed to have epic items below level 20 and all items that cost more than 200,000gp are considered epic. The Vest of the Archmagi starts at 200,000gp and therefore cannot have anything added on to it to make it more expensive pre-epic.

If you want to get +10 enhancement natural armor then you need to go epic and fork over the million+ gp. Otherwise you're stuck at a max of +5 enhancement natural armor.

If you wanted to switch out +8 armor armor for +5 enhancement natural armor, then you could make a custom magic item in a torso slot like the Archmage's Tarrasque Hair Shirt or something.

Vhaidara
2014-08-27, 09:39 PM
I'm sorry, but why are we discussing a myth? This forum is for discussions on real items in DnD 3.5 (and sometimes 3e or PF), not made up stories they tell apprentices at bed time!

Demented77
2014-08-27, 09:52 PM
The game that I'm going to be playing is starting out at 26th level. And I want the Vest of the Archmagi and my normal armor. But the armor types aren't going to be able to stack. Unless I can get the Vest of the archmagi to be natural armor. But I was wondering if there was a way of just paying a difference between regular armor bonus, and natural armor bonus. And then add the difference for going from +8 to +10.

Zanos
2014-08-27, 11:11 PM
I'm sorry, but why are we discussing a myth? This forum is for discussions on real items in DnD 3.5 (and sometimes 3e or PF), not made up stories they tell apprentices at bed time!
I'm not sure if this is a joke or not, but I've never actually played a game where a DM didn't allow the vest.

Demented77
2014-08-27, 11:34 PM
I'm not sure if this is a joke or not, but I've never actually played a game where a DM didn't allow the vest.

I can understand why. The vest is a bit of a broken item. But my DM is allowing me the use of the vest. But I am trying to find a way to make it a natural armor bonus, instead of a regular armor bonus.

Vhaidara
2014-08-28, 06:19 AM

If this is the item I'm thinking of, it is described in the following manner:
Clearly, this powerful item doesn't exist. But if it did, it might have powers like this.
Of course, since it is a myth, no one can make this item, but if they were to try, they might use these spells and pay this much Gold and XP.

Skevvix
2014-08-29, 02:35 AM
I can understand why. The vest is a bit of a broken item. But my DM is allowing me the use of the vest. But I am trying to find a way to make it a natural armor bonus, instead of a regular armor bonus.

If you can locate an Artificer with Persistent Spell and a wand of Item Alteration (http://dndtools.eu/spells/eberron-campaign-setting--12/item-alteration--4928/) you can shift it to whatever you want it to be, but not deflection. You'd just need to keep that Artificer with you all the time.