PDA

View Full Version : The two man party

alchemy.freak
2007-03-08, 12:03 AM
I am currently involved in a d20 past campaign(with urban arcana as well) where we have a two man party, originally it was a standard party of four but two members quit, (the campaign style was really not for them), and that left us with two (yay math)

the campaign is set in london, 1885. i play an all american cowboy type who has traveled the world and knows the martial arts, and my partner is an english vampire who takes great joy in killing people and using his hypnotoad powers to make people do things.

we are quite literally the odd couple. he does things i think are morally wrong and i go out and buy stakes and silver bullets.

he does something silly and i shoot him in the head(using regular bullets), my handgun doesn't get past his DR so all it does is hurt. it is the equivalent of a smack upside the head.

it has gotten to the point where our two characters are plotting to kill each other, and that in itself is quite fun.

Two man parties can be a lot of fun to play, combat goes by like lightning and roleplay gets a lot more interesting.

Just wondering, does anyone else out there play a two man adventure? lets hear about what you and your partner do.

Quietus
2007-03-08, 01:23 AM
I run a game with two people - D&D game, I'm playing a Cleric of Corellan Larethian, my friend's playing a Druid with a brown bear companion. We just hit level 6 tonight; Looking forward to next level (Righteous Might baby! Yeah!).

In general, we get punched in the mouth by the monsters a LOT more than most people would. The DM doesn't bother toning down the fights; I don't know exactly what we were fighting, I think they were Dwarf Ancestors or something, but they swung HARD, and had 25 AC. We were both level 5 at the time, it was a later fight that levelled us. First round of combat, two swung at me, I went from 40 HP to 10. The only reason we survived that fight, was 'cause I was carrying around a sack full of 34 vials of alchemist's fire. I rolled really awesome, throwing it at one of them when it was flanked by its friends - I love being able to say I did 125 damage in one shot at level 5, with 34 splash to the guys on either side. That turned the tide of that battle, but then we got EVERYONE'S attention. Apparently, 34d6 worth of alchemist's fire makes a lot of noise. Unfortunately, the bear's now dead, but the druid has a temporary companion we found down in the dungeon, and we're bringing the corpse back up with us (along with the corpse of a black dragon we killed; We're dragging a LOT of dead weight with us, no pun intended).

Nerd-o-rama
2007-03-08, 03:59 AM
I'd just like to congratulate you on using the phrase "hypnotoad powers" to describe a Vampire's Dominate.

All glory to the Hypnotoad!

daggaz
2007-03-08, 06:29 AM
Hypnotoad is the best character Evah! Except for the brain-slugs. (monotone voice) How about we go to the brain-slug planet and walk around without our helmets on? Lol I love how fry's starved to death. Ok sorry done here.

cupkeyk
2007-03-08, 08:29 AM
I think this was discussed a few months back. The best two man party is a Kobold Ceric of Kurtalmak with the Kobold and trickery Domains and a wizard. The cleric can scout, disarm traps while still being a full caster, heal grunt and psuedo tank. The wizard is a wizard.

the_tick_rules
2007-03-08, 01:33 PM
2 man party, i dunno.

alchemy.freak
2007-03-08, 01:41 PM
2 man party, i dunno.

Try it, believe me it can be a lot of fun. often not the nicest of games. if you two have different ideas then there are no other people to help decide.

Overall the two man game i have going is one of the most fun i have ever played

Noneoyabizzness
2007-03-08, 07:25 PM
most fun two man party I've been in was a bard and a warmage.

are you doing d20 past or typical d&d core?

The_Ferg
2007-03-08, 07:30 PM
I'm doing a campaign now set to sort of be similar to World War II, but in the Greyhawk setting. I am an elven rogue and my counterpart is an elven ranger. It works out really well unless something needs to get cast.

Assassinfox
2007-03-08, 07:31 PM
...and i go out and buy steaks and silver bullets.

Sticking cooked steaks in their hearts and watching the cholesterol take effect is always fun. :smalltongue:

alchemy.freak
2007-03-09, 10:00 AM
a wooden stake.

give me a break i was tired

Hunter_Rose
2007-03-09, 10:10 AM
Player 1 - "Hey Alchemy. How was your steak?"

Alchemy Freak - "Splintery"

Anyway if you are going to play a 2 person party you might want to look into the gestalt classes. From what I heard about them you play a dual classed character that gains a level in each class each time the character levels up. I'm not sure how hit points and saves work but I would guess that you get the better choice of the 2.

truemane
2007-03-09, 10:17 AM
That's exactly how it works. Gestalting allows you to have two classes, chosing the best features from each. And they can make smaller parties more viable for published adventures.

But small parties are a lot of fun all on their own, so long as the DM designs the challenges around them. The big thing, I've foind, is that you have to have access to Divine Magic, whether by a PC, or an NPC, or whatever.

Otherwise the game slows to an absolute crawl.

alchemy.freak
2007-03-09, 10:21 AM
I agree that gestalt classes are pretty nice. but some of the fun of this two man party thing is specialization, we each have our own skills and "tag team" depending on what needs to be done.

that being said there are some things we can't do, there just aren't enough skill points to go around. if the situation came up where we had to forge documents or disguise ourselves to impersonate someone, we probably couldn't do it. but so what, again, part of the fun is not having the answer to every problem you encounter.

BTW i fixed the stake thing

Katonta
2007-03-09, 12:39 PM
I have a two man group. The DM is a fairly good DM, although we never really get very far in a campaign. The group is basically me, my friend and his older brother. The older brother usually DM's, but he is trying to teach us how to DM so that he can play a character too. Overall, we have a bit of fun except for the times when my friend decides to be totally uncommunicative about everything he does. When he finds valuable info the party needs, he goes to sleep. His character not him the player. Basically, he's not much of a role player at all. But we still have fun from time to time.

arnoldrew
2007-03-09, 01:15 PM
I'd just like to congratulate you on using the phrase "hypnotoad powers" to describe a Vampire's Dominate.

All glory to the Hypnotoad!

I'm confused. Is this referring to the Ur-Quan from Star Control 2? They're the only toad-like mind controllers i could think of.

Meat Shield
2007-03-09, 04:06 PM
If I were to design a two man party, I'd have to go with a beguiler and a cleric with appropriate domain choices, unless gestalting of course. Have a beguiler in my campaign now and am quite surprised by how good of a caster he is.

kamikasei
2007-03-09, 07:31 PM
I'm confused. Is this referring to the Ur-Quan from Star Control 2? They're the only toad-like mind controllers i could think of.

Hypnotoad (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnotoad#Hypnotoad).