PDA

View Full Version : A devil that makes a good cleric type caster?

flamewolf393
2014-08-27, 11:54 PM
Anything that can be flavored as a devil would work too, such as celestials that can fall to devil-hood. Anything 3.x or pf is fine.

I am running an evil game, and one of my players wants to play a devil that is a cleric (specifically trickery domain). What is the best kind of critter for this? As far as I can tell there is not a single devil that is really statted for casting. They all have their particular SLA's and then specialize in beating your face.

Maybe something with a half-fiend template?

malonkey1
2014-08-28, 12:02 AM
Honestly, my advice is Pathfinder Tiefling (Devil-spawn, appropriately enough offers +2 Con, +2 Wis, -2 Int). It's a decent race, and being outsiders, they can qualify for a lot of the things devils can (and still also arguably count as human for many feats).

Thurbane
2014-08-28, 07:54 AM
A "fallen" Planetar, or a Lilitu that defected to the "other side" of the Blood War? Neither are particularly PC friendly races, though, but both have innate Cleric casting, which will stack with Cleric levels. Savage Species has a monster class progression for Imps, but you're looking a LA +4 on a 3HD outsider.

How about a Hellbred who instead of rejecting his ordeal in the Nine Hells, embraces it and serves a Lawful Evil deity under the promise of being made into a powerful fiend once he shuffles off the mortal coil?

Devil Bloodline (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm#devil) might work as well, on a Human or any other race.

Sian
2014-08-28, 09:48 AM
an ever so slightly refluffed Jackal Lord (from Fiend Folio), might be a good starting point (if a bit tall for starting out with an ECL at 12). 8RHD and LA+4, but RHD counts as Cleric levels for casting purposes

Vaz
2014-08-28, 09:54 AM
Whenever anyone mentions a player character as a devil, I feel the need to share awareness of "Brand of the Nine Hells", which can then unlock the "mark of..." feats in regards to the Archdevils which can be abused in some way - Mark of Cania and Minauros in particular.

Thurbane
2014-09-01, 08:57 PM
There's also Durzagon, which is pretty much a Half-fiend Duergar. But at 5RHD and LA +2, probably not much better option than straight Half-fiend humanoid.

Urpriest
2014-09-01, 09:00 PM
Is this a monster campaign in general? Are the other players playing creatures with LA, and are you making special allowances for it?