PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Advice building a Sword and Shield fighter?

Yael
2014-08-28, 05:14 AM
So, new to PF (checking stuff for beginners) and I want to enter a game here in the forum, but I don't knaaao that much about how PF optimization (or non-optimization) works. Not like I know that much about 3.5 either lol.

So, for a sword & board fighter, what do you recommend? I would go human, but any other race would be fine.

I am not asking for someone to build the character for me, I am just looking for advice.

NightbringerGGZ
2014-08-28, 06:49 AM
The problem with standard Sword & Shield builds is that they tend to do significantly less damage than other builds if you're only using the shield as an AC booster. Generally speaking you're going to want to find ways of boosting your damage output with this build.

The most common choice is to build a character who can gains Ranger Combat Style feats, so either a Ranger or the new Slayer class to pick up Two-Weapon Fighting feats without having to invest many points in Dexterity. This lets you maintain a high Strength and attack with both your Sword and Shield. You can accomplish this with the Two Weapon Combat style and some careful feat selection, or if the Inner Sea Combat book is available to you there are some additional options for TWF or Shield focused builds.

The Swashbuckler is also capable of dealing decent damage with a Sword & Shield strategy, though you're more limited in your build options. You can only use a Buckler and can't attack with it. You have to use a light or one-handed piercing weapon, or pick up the feat Slashing Grace to make a one-handed slashing weapon count as a one-handed piercing weapon (and gain Dex to damage with that weapon). With this setup, at level 3 you begin to add bonus precision damage equal to your level to your attacks and can use a swift action (and point of panache to double that bonus damage).

Snowbluff
2014-08-28, 07:15 AM
Yeah, you're probably going to want some TWF/Improved Shield bash. In that case, look for damage bonuses.

Power Attack style feats, Arcane Strike, Paladin's "Smite," Vivisectionist's Sneak Attack, stuff like that.

marcielle
2014-08-28, 07:59 AM
I'm going to suggest the Brawler. In particular the Snakebite archetype. You get all close weapons, which includes light shields(despite the derpity of their proficiencies saying they don't get shields), you essentially get TWF line for free, you get sneak along with Full BAB and a decent hit dice.
Brawler's Flurry specifically states that you don't need to use 2 different weapons.
Which halves the normal gold expenditure TWFers face. Close Weapon Mastery gets rids of that whole pathetic damage dice on light weapons problem(though pretty slowly). And Brawler's Cunning is just 'lol I may not know much but I know how to fight'.

So forget Sword and Board, go Board all the way!

p.s. Sneak attack bonuses stack so dip some rogue or Vivi?

This is not so much 'optimized', but should serve you well enough in a normal game.

MightyPirate
2014-08-28, 12:56 PM
Fighting with two weapons is usually a trap unless you can pick up extra movement or some way of pouncing. Even if you can achieve that you may be better off with natural attacks. It's just hard to keep up with enchanting two weapons and you pretty much need extra damage via smite, sneak attack, favored enemy, what have you to keep up with the damage that can be cranked out with a single weapon.

The brawler is an interesting way to get more attacks with a shield even though they don't get their ac dodge bonus and proficiency (as armor, they can still use it as a weapon without penalty). Their flurry works as a monks and it cuts your costs well. The Shield Champion archetype probably isn't worth giving up the maneuver bonuses because Shield Slam makes for some killer bull rush potential. That is assuming maneuver bonuses from class and feats apply to Shield Slam but I think it'd be a stretch to say they don't. The archetype only becomes interesting if you want to a ranged maneuver monster, especially if Shield Throw and Returning Shot work with Shield Slam and Brawler's Flurry. Snake Bitter is good if you know you'll have abundant flanking buddies and Opportunist pairs well with Greater Bullrush.

Magus packing a mithral shield might do the trick also. Multiple attacks with a single weapon and spell strike isn't bad and the bull rushing is pretty good if you toss a true strike in there. It pretty much doubles the efficiency of the spell with Shield Slam. This would be pretty feat intensive mind but I think it's a better route than the Skirnir archetype. I've seen characters work around the diminished spell casting but I just don't think I could stomach it. Granted you don't get extra damage like weapon training, close weapon mastery, or sneak attack but I'll take spell damage and an arcane pool for enchanting any day. Maybe less damage but definitely better versatility.

If you don't care about damage and you just want a tanky martial character the paladins and the barbarians probably win overall. Fighter can do it but they just don't do it as well. My favorites are these builds by Treankmonk (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2mz4m?How-do-you-High-Saving-throw-HP-and-AC-character#20), Damocles Guile (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2pbf5?I-need-a-good-fighter-build#17), and Mercurial (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2oxd2?My-favorite-Barbarian#1). These builds are kind of older so newer material could probably boost them a bit. They also have a few more moving parts that a fighter so it could be tougher for a new player to navigate. The trade off would be having a character that just refuses to die, something solid is always a good choice for a beginner.