Level: Clr 0, Drd 0, Sor/Wiz 0
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Targets: One bird per caster level.
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

Casting the Fowl Blessing spell permanently blesses one or more chickens, ducks, or other birds and causes them to produce three times as many eggs for the rest of their natural lives. This spell only works on natural birds and does not function on birds with more than one hit die.

The benefits of fowl blessing also somewhat extend to the second generation of birds as well. Birds hatched from eggs created by Fowl Blessing will produce twice as many eggs as normal, but their offspring will be normal.

Casting Fowl Blessing on a second generation bird will change its egg output from double to triple.

Blessing of Fish

Transmutation
Level: Clr 1, Drd 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Targets: 1 acre of water per caster level.
Duration: One week per caster level.

Casting the Blessing of Fish spell greatly enhances the health and reproduction of fish in a body of water, and will cause fish from surrounding waters to flock to the blessed area. In game terms this will double the number of fish caught from the waters during that period of time. This spell can also be used to restock lakes that have been fished clean, simply by seeding them with a few fish and then casting this spell multiple times.

Blessing of Fish, Lesser

Conjuration
Level: Clr 0, Drd 0, Sor/Wiz 0
Targets: 1 acre of water, or one boat.
Duration: 1 hour per caster level

Casting the Lesser Blessing of Fish spell causes fish to either flock to the area of water the spell was cast upon, or to flock to the boat that the spell was cast upon. In game terms this means that any fishing done during this time will have twice the usual results.

Lesser Blessing of Fish has no effect in an area already under the effect of a higher level blessing of fish spell.

Blessing of Fish, Greater

Transmutation
Level: Clr 5, Drd 4, Sor/Wiz 5
Casting Time: 1 minute
Targets: 1 square mile of water per caster level.
Duration: One month per caster level.

Casting the Greater Blessing of Fish spell greatly enhances the health and reproduction of fish in a body of water, and will cause fish from surrounding waters to flock to the blessed area. In game terms this will double the number of fish caught from the waters during that period of time. This spell can also be used to restock lakes that have been fished clean, simply by seeding them with a few fish and then casting this spell multiple times.

Blessing of Fish, Ultimate

Transmutation
Level: Clr 7, Drd 6, Sor/Wiz 7
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 minute
Targets: 10 square miles of water per caster level.
Duration: One year per caster level.

Casting the Ultimate Blessing of Fish spell greatly enhances the health and reproduction of fish in a body of water, and will cause fish from surrounding waters to flock to the blessed area. In game terms this will double the number of fish caught from the waters during that period of time. This spell can also be used to restock lakes that have been fished clean, simply by seeding them with a few fish and then casting this spell.

XP Cost: 1000 Experience

Material Component

A large ornately carved barrel of fish eggs worth no less than 100 gold pieces that is thrown into the water at the end of the spells casting.

Blessing of Agriculture

Abjuration
Level: Drd 3, Clr 4 Sor/Wiz 3
Targets: 1 acre of land per caster level
Duration: 1 month per level of caster

The Blessing of Agriculture spell completely wards the affected land from harmful insects and all variety of plant diseases. In addition the spell also mildly changes the weather in the spells area of effect, constantly keeping the temperature 3 degrees closer to the ideal temperature for whichever form of plantlife is most abundant, and it also increases or decreases the daily chance of rain by up to 5 percent (whichever the local plantlife needs most). Localized rain effecting a field but almost nothing outside the field is a telltale sign of this spell being in effect.

In game terms those tiny changes will effectively double the farming output of any area this spell is kept up on, provided the spell is kept active throughout the entire growing season.

This spell does not keep out giant insects or magical insects, nor will it cause it to rain in areas that are currently experiencing no chance of rain. This spell also will not allow crops to grow outside of their natural climate zones.

Blessing of Agriculture, Greater

Abjuration
Level: Drd 5, Clr 6 Sor/Wiz 5
Targets: 1 square mile of land per caster level

The Greater Blessing of Agriculture spell completely wards the affected land from harmful insects and all variety of plant diseases. It keeps all mammals, reptiles, and birds with an intelligence of three or less from eating any cultivated crops out of fields within the area of effect of the spell.

In addition the spell also mildly changes the weather in the spells area of effect, constantly keeping the temperature 6 degrees closer to the ideal temperature for whichever form of plantlife is most abundant, and it also increases or decreases the daily chance of rain by up to 15 percent (whichever the local plantlife needs most at the time).

The spell also enriches the soil of the area, giving plants far more nutrition than usual.

In game terms those tiny changes will effectively quadruple the farming output of any area this spell is kept up on, provided the spell is kept active throughout the entire growing season.

This spell does not keep out giant insects, magical beasts, or magical insects. This spell is powerful enough to cause rain to fall in areas where it normally does not, and makes enough of a change that it can be used to grow plants outside of their normal climate zone.

Blessing of Agriculture, Ultimate

Abjuration
Level: Drd 7, Clr 8 Sor/Wiz 7
Casting Time: 1 hour
Targets: 10 square miles of land per caster level
Duration: 1 year per level of caster

The Greater Blessing of Agriculture spell completely wards the affected land from harmful insects and all variety of plant diseases. It keeps all mammals, reptiles, and birds with an intelligence of three or less from eating any cultivated crops out of fields within the area of effect of the spell.

In addition the spell also mildly changes the weather in the spells area of effect, constantly keeping the temperature 8 degrees closer to the ideal temperature for whichever form of plantlife is most abundant, and it also increases or decreases the daily chance of rain by up to 20 percent (whichever the local plantlife needs most at the time).

The spell also enriches the soil of the area, giving plants far more nutrition than usual.

In game terms those changes will cause the farming output to be seven times normal of any area this spell is kept up on, provided the spell is kept active throughout the entire growing season.

This spell does not keep out giant insects, magical beasts, or magical insects. This spell is powerful enough to cause rain to fall in areas where it normally does not, and makes enough of a change that it can be used to grow plants well outside of their normal climate zone.

XP Cost: 1000 Experience

Material Component

A large ornately carved wagon full of fruits and vegetables worth no less than 1000 gold pieces that is set aflame at the end of the spells casting.

Animal Blessing

Abjuration
Level: Drd 4, Clr 5 Sor/Wiz 4
Targets: 1 acre of land per caster level (See below)

When memorizing the Animal Blessing spell the caster must declare which type of creature he wishes to effect, mammals, reptiles, birds or giant insects. Learning one version of the spell covers all four types of castings, although the different versions are often referred to as separate spells, such as “Blessing of Mammals, or Blessing of Reptiles”.

The Animal Blessing spell confers many benefits to chosen creature type while they are within the area of effect. They are warded against all parasites, all non-magical diseases, and nearly all viral infections. They bear more offspring than normal, and said offspring have a much higher survival rate than usual. Animals under the area of effect tend to grow larger than normal as well.

In game terms areas under the effect of this spell for long periods of time are twice as abundant as normal when it comes to animal husbandry and hunting. Effected areas will have a far higher population of the animal type than is usual.

The animals in the area of effect still have to eat, so casting this spell is often paired with a Blessing of Agriculture spell.

This spell does not effect magical beasts or extraplanar creatures, but does affect dire animals. It does not function on any creature with an intelligence score higher than 4.

Animal Blessing, Greater

Abjuration
Level: Drd 6 Clr 7, Sor/Wiz 6
Targets: 1 square mile of land per caster level (See below)
Duration: 1 year per level of caster

When memorizing the Greater Animal Blessing spell the caster must declare which type of creature he wishes to effect, mammals, reptiles, birds or giant insects. Learning one version of the spell covers all four types of castings, although the different versions are often referred to as separate spells, such as “Greater Blessing of Mammals, or Greater Blessing of Reptiles”.

The Greater Animal Blessing spell confers many benefits to chosen creature type while they are within the area of effect. They are warded against all parasites, all diseases (both magical and mundane), and all viral infections. They bear many more offspring than normal, and said offspring have a much higher survival rate than usual. Animals under the area of effect tend to grow larger than normal as well, many will advance one or two hit dice.

In game terms areas under the effect of this spell for long periods of time are three times as abundant as normal when it comes to animal husbandry and hunting. Effected areas will have a far higher population of the animal type than is usual. Fifty percent of the animals in the area of effect will be advanced by one or two hit dice.

The animals in the area of effect still have to eat, so casting this spell is often paired with a Greater Blessing of Agriculture spell.

This spell does not effect magical beasts or extraplanar creatures, but does affect dire animals. It does not function on any creature with an intelligence score higher than 4.

Animal Blessing, Lesser

Abjuration
Level: Drd 1, Clr 2 Sor/Wiz 2
Targets: 1 animal

The Lesser Animal Blessing spell will ward a single mammal, reptile, bird, or giant insect against parasites, disease, and viral infections for the duration of the spell. If cast on a pregnant animal or immature animal, then the offspring or immature animal will eventually grow up to be advanced by one or two hit dice (rolled randomly).

Material Component
A single hair taken from an animal that was born under the effect of an animal blessing spell.

Instant Training

Transmutation
Level: Brd 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V
Range: Touch
Targets: 1 weapon, suit of armor, or shield
Duration: 1 hour per level of caster

The Instant Training spell is cast upon a single weapon, shield or suit of armor, and for the duration of the spell the item is enchanted so that anyone can wield or wear it without penalty, even if they do not have the proper armor or weapon proficiency feat.

Casting this spell does not remove any armor check penalty or spell failure, nor does it allow characters to use weapons or armor banned by their character classes. It does allow any wielder to function as if they had the appropriate martial weapon proficiency or armor proficiency.

Empowered Aura

Transmutation
Level: Brd 2, Sor/Wiz 3
Targets: 1 creature
Duration: 1 round per level of caster
Saving Throw: Harmless (Will negates)

The Empowered Aura spell increases the numerical effects of anything defined as an “aura” by 50 percent. If a creature had a 1d6 cold aura then this spell would increase that aura to 1 1/2d6. If a creature projected an aura giving +2 to savings throws, then this spell would change that aura to +3 for the duration. The word “aura” must appear in the definition of the abilities enhanced. This spell does not increase the save DC of any ability, but it will increase duration and range by fifty percent.

This spell cannot benefit from the Empower Spell feat, nor from any other feat or effect that mimics empower spell.

Name

School
Level: Brd 6, Sor/Wiz 6
Components: V, S, F
Targets: One object or creature per caster level
Duration: 1 round/level (D)

Spell text.

Focus
None

levi
2007-03-08, 08:43 AM
I like really these. I'm not so sure about Instant Training and Empower Aura, they seem to be the usual combat boost stuff, but the rest are really good stuff. These are the sort of spells I see a society spending the time and effort to reasearch, not yet another way to do a bajillion damage.

On thing you should do though, is add them to the Adept spell list as they are more likely to be the one's casting this sort of spell than any of the PC classes. One other caveat though, I'm no so sure the Ultimate versions are really that usable. Spending a 1000 xp may not seem like a whole lot to some epic adventurer, but I don't see them spending it on helping out the local farming community. They're off saving the world and need that xp for other things. For a non-adventuring NPC, 1000 xp represents years of thier life. Even if they did cast the spell once, it's unlikely that they'd be able to do so again by the time it wore off. Furthermore, they'd proabably be better off sinking said xp into a wand of one of the lower level versions. (I don't feel like doing the math right now, but I suspect it's more effienct, if you've got the gold.)

All in all, though, good work.

alchemy.freak
2007-03-08, 10:58 AM
i also really like these. but i think they should be domain spells (if you have a god of agriculture/fertility) because spells of this nature definitely dont fit with certain deities (i dont see a cleric of hextor blessing a chicken just because he needs some eggs by chance, even if it is part of a diabolical plot to take over the world)

this might also work with some other spell casters, like the Adept (npc class).

elliott20
2007-03-08, 01:22 PM
I think fowl blessing can simply be replaced with "livestock blessing".

katarl
2007-03-08, 02:37 PM
Yes! Now my dream of a peasant campaign is fulfilled! No longer will I have to actually fight monsters, rescue maidens or find treasure! Now I can pick up my pitchfork and have a go at d20 farming simulator.

The sad thing is, i'm not even being sarcastic. Thanks very much.

Triaxx
2007-03-08, 07:05 PM
These are great. Blessing of Fish would be the sort of thing you'd find being cast on the boats of large fishing fleets. Send a bunch of druids out with the fishing fleet, and you'll double your catch for the price of a few cantrips.

paigeoliver
2007-03-08, 11:07 PM
The high level ones are really rare. They tend to be in effect directly around the main lands of powerful rulers and wealthy island kingdoms. The low level ones see a lot more use. The Fowl Blessing spell was the first spell of that type I ever developed before I got into the other series.

The lower level spells are supposed to be extremely common. Even wizards and sorcerors often learn at least one of the first level spells, because casting those spells is an easy way for a travelling wizard to earn a middle class living with little effort.

I didn't make them domain spells because I created them for a campaign that has a monotheistic religion, which hundreds of differing viewpoints about the Deity. So clerics can take any domains they want. Plus, there are a lot of basic spells on the cleric/druid list that won't see much action from evil characters. They just wouldn't use them.

I do plan to eventually add some spells for other industry as well, weaving spells, carving spells, things like that.

Those other two spells at the end were just in the same document, so I dropped them in as well.

icke
2007-03-09, 10:00 AM
Concerning the agricultural spells:
Nice work there. But I'd like to see the casting time increased a whole lot. Since they're out-of-combat spells it really doesn't matter, but for the flavor I'd say one hour or two even might be better. There's too much cast and go spells already, and these are predestined to do something against it.

Concerning the other two:

Instant Training is too good, the ability to use equipment otherwise unusable for the caster makes the Martial Weapon Proficiency feats obsolete and gives an already too powerful caster even more power. If You really want to have that spell, make it one minute per level duration and spell level five or more.

Empower Aura will only be taken by casters who can make frequent use of it, so I guess it's fine as it is. However, You should state if and how the spell affects other spells that create an aura.

paigeoliver
2007-03-10, 01:02 AM
I actually haven't run into any balance issues in regard to "Instant Training". Higher level casters usually have better things to do than smack people with weapons. It has really only seen use in letting fighting characters use exotic weapons and armor they have found that they haven't had time to take the proficiency with yet. (Note, the spell is cast on the item, not on a person). In every case so far the character eventually took the proficiency because they didn't want to be stuck holding something they couldn't use right.

Empower aura was actually specifically designed for casting on Marshals and Dragon Shamans, but I try to write all my feats OGL legal, and thus I cannot directly reference those classes. Perhaps I should rewrite it so that it cannot effect any auras that come from spells at all.

Thoughtbot360
2007-03-10, 02:01 AM
Nice spells, paigeoliver. I was just thinking about how magic really can help create an easier life for the common farmer, particularly the elven farmer. I was working on a campaign setting that has elven society as being far looser than other races with most the elven population having levels in spellcasting classes, including the farmers. Because it would suck to be an Elven serf and spending centuries as someone else's "property." Besides, Elves are supposed to have wonderlust and such, they aren't supposed to be "tied to the land" and then the Elvish king gives the land (and the Elves that live on it) over to some noble who exploits them for the rest of their long, long lives.

And they are so creative-nhdkjdk! Oh, excuse me, I don't know what came over me, any way they are so creat-ABGHGHLDHKHIE! I...MUST....RESIST...THE...INFERNAL...AURA...MUST. ..TRY...TO APPEAR....NORMAL...ARG! OH! I can't hold it back any longer! I have to try to emulate your spells using the rules from the elements of magic (http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=2699) system! Why am I doing this? BECAUSE I HAVE A SUPERORITY FETISH! (but mostly because I'm using the EOM system in the aforementioned campaign because its been burning in my pocket ever since I bought it...it might also be because something was in that potato soup I had at dinner...)

Anyway: Oops! Posted too soon hold on, I'm editing in the spells.

sigurd
2007-03-10, 11:42 AM
Nice spells but I think most of them should be rituals, tied to seasonal days or elements of the harvest. They shouldn't be onerous to repeat but they should need refreshing\observances.

Fire and forget - Blamo - You get 3 times as many eggs for the rest of the chickens life. Seems like a modern quick fix. Shaping and improving the natural order should take more work IMHO.

Sigurd