PDA

View Full Version : looking for options to make a fluff class more combat effective

bjoern
2014-08-28, 08:38 AM
I touched on this yesterday regarding ways to make a whip better. There are some good ways to make a whip a useful weapon , unfortunately they require either an expensive weapon or a dedicated build focused on using a whip. So i think i need to try to improve him in some other area. So here's what I got.
Level 6 Human Lorechaser
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Lorechaser_(3.5e_Class)

Feats are:exotic proficiency hand crossbow, exotic proficiency whip, improved toughness, educated , whip climber skill trick.

Current relevant gear : short sword, whip, hand crossbow. All masterwork.
Least crystal of return. Everlasting rations, everlasting torch, HHH.

This class is kind of neat in that as you level, you become more SAD towards charisma. And you get to add cha to attack , damage, and ac. You've got a lot of luck reroll attempts which is great for defense (vs saves) but not much else.

So far the best I can think of to give him more of a presense in combat would be Knowledge Devotion and Collector of Stories. Grab a few items to boost the skill check like MW tools (do you need one for each knowledge?) , a wand of wield skill. With the luck reroll you've got a fair chance of getting a good bonus from Knowledge Devotion. I've even considered a 1 level dip in Marshall to get the minor aura that gives you a bonus to intelligence skills equal to your cha bonus.
Lorechaser gets skill focus UMD as a bonus feat so that's always an option, albeit a pricey one. He could have a bunch of level 1 wands which is nice even if they aren't overly effective in combat.

So in a nutshell:
Any easy ways to boost knowledge checks?
Any easy way to boost charisma?
Any clever ways to use UMD on a budget?

Any other ideas in areas I may have overlooked?

This guy is currently in use so I can't do a full on revamp, but using the retraining rules in PH2 is an option.
Thanks

Psyren
2014-08-28, 09:00 AM
Ugh, DanDwiki. And sure enough it does not disappoint by immensely disappointing.

This class is pretty terrible. It looks like nothing but core divinations and a few abjurations on their list, no bonus damage mechanic of any kind, and poor proficiencies. Also, they are proficient in light armor but take spell failure because they "cast as sorcerers." Why couldn't they at least cast as bards?

And what in the 9 hells is going on with their spells/day?

bjoern
2014-08-28, 09:05 AM
Ugh, DanDwiki. And sure enough it does not disappoint by immensely disappointing.

This class is pretty terrible. It looks like nothing but core divinations and a few abjurations on their list, no bonus damage mechanic of any kind, and poor proficiencies. Also, they are proficient in light armor but take spell failure because they "cast as sorcerers." Why couldn't they at least cast as bards?

And what in the 9 hells is going on with their spells/day?

Yeah I agree that it's a low op class.....check that No op class. But its what we have to work with. The player is set on using it so I'm trying to help him out at least a little.

The only bonus damage is at level 8 when they add cha to all damage rolls. Most of the spells are weak. He gets dispel magic 1/day which is about as useful as it gets.